maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Purism Librem Phone (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97679)

AardDevil 2020-01-26 00:40

Re: Purism Librem Phone

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1564686)
Just received my refund! Purism folks are a class act!

Good to see Purism is still making money ... for refunds.
And for a
Quote:

hot from the minute you power on until the battery dies, even with the screen off
Librem 5.

No surprise:
Quote:

The battery is constantly dead, and the phone is never ready for me when I want to use it. It requires babysitting just to charge and keep charged.
Now, Purism
Quote:

needs funding to build the OS.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...ne/?comments=1

xman 2020-02-11 03:00

Well this is exciting!!!
"Daniel @DPA168 .... By the way, I got my #Librem5 a few months ago. I've started porting maemo-leste"

https://dpa.li/temp/l5-maemo-2.mp4

via:
https://twitter.com/DPA168

x

nonsuch 2020-02-14 08:16

^ oh yes!
Software rendering mode apparently (the desktop swipe looks very painful), but definitely working at least as well as PureOS :D

olf 2020-03-01 14:55

I wondered why I did not see any reports of Dogwood recipients on the net.
Well, Purism has silently adapted the planned shipping dates ("due to Coronavirus outbreak"): https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-shipping-announcement/
- Dogwood is now scheduled for "End of April 2020"
- Evergreen is now scheduled for "Mid August"

nonsuch 2020-03-03 07:46

^ I bet they thank the heavens that sent them such a good excuse!

mscion 2020-03-03 17:13

Depending on final specs, I might go for the Fir.

robthebold 2020-06-25 16:57

Just got an update from Purism. Well, it's more of a promise of an update on my Evergreen . . . I think I'm getting Evergreen:

Quote:

As far as Evergreen and Librem 5 USA shipping dates go, while there are
parts of that process that are running in parallel to Dogwood, there are
other parts (such as molds and FCC/CE testing on the final mass-produced
PCB) which must wait until after the final Dogwood phones have arrived
and have been thoroughly evaluated. Before we commit to a revised
shipping date for Evergreen and Librem 5 USA, we’d like a few more weeks
to complete the evaluation of the final Dogwood phones.
At first I was confused by the email, because I'd forgotten about Purism and my order. Partly because it's been so long and partly because of the . . . "unpleasantness".

nonsuch 2020-06-25 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1568031)
At first I was confused by the email

Does it sound less confusing after a day or two?

What you quoted sounds to me like they're just trying to minimise the damage at this point... not outright admitting failure, but making it clear that one shouldn't expect too much.

robthebold 2020-06-25 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1568035)
Does it sound less confusing after a day or two?

What you quoted sounds to me like they're just trying to minimise the damage at this point... not outright admitting failure, but making it clear that one shouldn't expect too much.

Well, it's still a pretty vague message, but later the same day I remembered that at some point in the before-times I had ordered something called a "Librem 5". What was that? 5 years ago?

But as to your analysis, they're definitely trying -- as you suggest -- to "manage expectations."

kinggo 2020-06-25 21:23

you'll get it just in time for Phone Camera Competition June 2030. And subject will be Grey hair or what's left of it.

wolke 2020-06-26 03:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1568035)
not outright admitting failure, but making it clear that one shouldn't expect too much.

i dunno, the coreboot-flashed mini pc theyre re-selling at a 250% markup from wholesale might make them liquid enough to actually get the evergreens out. people are buying them like hotcakes that people buy a lot of.

ajalkane 2020-06-27 10:54

I knew this would be hogwash. I was wrong thinking it'd the software which would be forever crap. But seems like they have lots of problems with hardware too.

Too bad, but I do hope the orderers eventually get something for their investment.

mscion 2020-06-27 17:03

Must be tough times for the Purism folks. They did give me a refund a few months ago so I give them credit for that. While they have probably made significant progress with the software, the hardware will likely be lacking.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see that situation improving any time soon. Regardless, I'm rooting for them and wish them succes.

nonsuch 2020-06-28 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolke (Post 1568039)
i dunno, the coreboot-flashed mini pc theyre re-selling at a 250% markup from wholesale might make them liquid enough to actually get the evergreens out. people are buying them like hotcakes that people buy a lot of.

People do?

Purism were doing well enough before they took on this smartphone project. But they're not a big company and they probably do not have any sort of financial cushioning, which became apparent during the Librem 5 desaster, because many decisions were clearly made to - how to put it - not go bankrupt, try to keep the money in, hoping it would work out in the end.
The problem is that they weren't being upfront about it, choosing a (probably expensive) marketing "strategy" instead, while the actual hard/software development remained pitiful (there's some pics & vids in this thread that well deserve this adjective, and articles that go into much detail).

mscion 2021-02-05 18:58

Anybody get this phone in the mail yet? Apparently they are now shipping out. I backed out and got a refund. But would be interested in hearing about folk's experiences. Thanks!

wolke 2021-02-05 19:01

my eta is feb14-19

robthebold 2021-02-05 22:08

My eta is now May. I hope May 2021.

mscion 2021-02-06 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1570894)
My eta is now May. I hope May 2021.

So, how many different phones you have ordered?
I'm a actually thinking of getting the Galaxy s21 ultra.
Big screen, probably best camera, and spen compatibility.

robthebold 2021-02-07 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1570899)
So, how many different phones you have ordered?
I'm a actually thinking of getting the Galaxy s21 ultra.
Big screen, probably best camera, and spen compatibility.

Ordered the Purism phone way, way, way back in the before times. Actually forgot which year. Ordered the Pro 1 just before the Pro 1 X was announced, which I guess was the kiss of death for my order. Ordered a Pinephone last Summer and got in less than a month.

333 is really good in the majors!

mscion 2021-02-07 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1570906)
Ordered the Purism phone way, way, way back in the before times. Actually forgot which year. Ordered the Pro 1 just before the Pro 1 X was announced, which I guess was the kiss of death for my order. Ordered a Pinephone last Summer and got in less than a month.

333 is really good in the majors!

Well, you are still doing, better than me. 0 for 1 with the Jolla tablet... Lol.

robthebold 2021-02-07 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1570911)
Well, you are still doing, better than me. 0 for 1 with the Jolla tablet... Lol.

Forgot the tablets :(

The Jolla tablet. Got 1/2 refund on that one.

And the youyota tablet, which did get refunded in full after the county attorney's office contacted indiegogo.

mscion 2021-02-08 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1570917)
Forgot the tablets :(

The Jolla tablet. Got 1/2 refund on that one.

And the youyota tablet, which did get refunded in full after the county attorney's office contacted indiegogo.

Ah yes, I forgot the half refund. Guess that make me 1/2 and 1? Doesn't feel like batting 500!

nonsuch 2021-02-09 05:44

Quote:

Ordered the Purism phone way, way, way back in the before times. Actually forgot which year.

Late 2017 would have been the earliest for crowdfunding, late 2018 the earliest for a pre-order through the shop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librem_5
http://web.archive.org/web/201810201...shop/librem-5/ <= always interesting to see how the price went up 200$ over the years...

Quote:

Ordered a Pinephone last Summer and got in less than a month.

I like the comparison! :D
It's all too clear who comes out on top...

robthebold 2021-05-10 00:00

My semi-annual reminder that I backed the purism phone came today in the form of an email saying -- and I paraphrase -- "chip shortages, pandemic, supply chain, etc., your phone is delayed again, but imagine what great progress will have been made in the software by fall."

biketool 2021-05-10 06:08

Sorry guys, and here I am upgrading my pinephone system board to the 3gb/32gb board. I have to say pine64 actually makes the hardware available and if you ask a few months later reasonable requests appear in the sore, they seem to get "take my money!!" when it comes to cool geek from stuff like the RISC V smart soldering iron or even just the pinepower USB C wall-wart.
Once the software is better I will probably replace my pebble with a pinewatch too. If I could get a working prototype they would probably mass produce a pogo-port I2C POCSAG pager receiver too
The software is coming along for Debian and I think once they get more of the phone specific stuff like sharing, tethering, and optimizing important apps and I will be ready to let my N900 go to a kid. I think the easy thing about Liberm is you can if you want go LineageOS and have fully developed core OS as well as a FOSS opp store with fdroid which over the years has really filled up.
At the end of the day though you dont have the pogo port which is finally getting attention; I am getting a few pogo-port connectors so I can take a crack at adding stuff like NFC maybe an e-ink reader though I really want the keyboard cover to be available.

maegon9y00 2023-06-15 20:06

Finally the Librem 5 has been shipped
Estimated Delivery Date
19. June 2023 - By End of Day

Anyone already has this phone ?

www.rzr.online.fr 2023-06-15 22:38

One friend (ex n900 user) is using it, he seems happy with it but there is still a place for improvements

maegon9y00 2023-08-03 23:09

I got mine at june 22. Posting this from Librem 5.
I love hardware kill switches. Very useful.