maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open to all! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53112)

ArchiMark 2010-05-29 00:09

Re: [ANNOUNCE] The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open to all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojacker (Post 687041)

{snip....}

One thing bothering me is I don't see too many beginners getting involved. That's one of the main aims of the competition, anyone have any ideas to achieve that?

Great point....as I'm just a code noob....

I just built a 'Hello World!" app, can I enter that in the noob category????

;)

Quote:

I have an hour or two before I hit the sack, I might write up a short beginner tutorial following on from the good works of mikec and fatalsaint.. hmm need ideas..
That would be greatly appreciated!....then I can proceed to the next level and make an interactive, multimedia 'Hello World' app!!!

:cool:

kojacker 2010-05-29 01:56

Re: [ANNOUNCE] The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open to all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchiMark (Post 687077)
Great point....as I'm just a code noob....

I just built a 'Hello World!" app, can I enter that in the noob category????

;)

That would be greatly appreciated!....then I can proceed to the next level and make an interactive, multimedia 'Hello World' app!!!

:cool:

Interactive multimedia Hello World might be quite good, enter it anyway :cool:

Alright.. you all wanted it. Pleaded for it. Begged on your knees for it! Ok.. nobody really wanted it but the first fart app for the N900 is here! :D

Build a simple Fart App in 30 Mins! N900, PyQt

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...528-230425.png

It's a simple tutorial I made, it's not the greatest ever but it might be useful for those who want to learn more about Qt and using Phonon for sound playback and.. farts. Farting in general. It's meant to carry on from the previous beginner tutorials, so visit those first (MikeCs and FatalSaints "Windows.. 30 mins" stickied thread.

I feel so unclean.. *runs off to take a shower*

helex 2010-05-29 09:52

Nice Kojacker, thankyou. :)

Could you try youself a other audio example? :o

I asked 4 days ago here for help to get a signal from the microphone. Could you please try to help and look into it?

In my opinon I have a great Idea for a really nice project. But, I'm only a python and Qt beginner. So I guess the skill level for the core element of my application is to hight for me. :(

I need "only" every 20 to 100ms the sound level (noise) of the microphone. A spectrum would be even better, but I don't need it. Here is a C++ expample how it should also work at the N900: Link
I have all other needed parts or know how to do.

If it is impossible to do something like this in python, could someone please provide me a Library that could do the trick for me? :rolleyes:

mmlado 2010-05-29 10:33

Quote:

One thing bothering me is I don't see too many beginners getting involved. That's one of the main aims of the competition, anyone have any ideas to achieve that?

I think bigger prizes get the attention of more professional developers and it's more scary for the beginners. While there were only smaller prizes, professionals were probably working on other things, but now they'll squeeze in time to work on some project for the competition, because it's worth their time.

Good ideas go long way to win a competition like this, but it needs to be implemented equally well, where pros have an advantage.
It's probably as with other competitions. Bigger prizes attract more pros and less beginners. Beginners don't think they can win so why bother.

In this competition it's good that the community will decide on the winners, which means more exposure for every application. On competitions where a small number of people decides, only the top applications get exposure while the others stay buried at the bottom.

I wanted to write my app for a while now, and this was a good motivation to get me started.

I don't think I can win, and all I'm hopping to get is the experience, from writing the app, and the extended exposure. Probably this way my app can get a bigger user base then if I released it outside of the competition.

Lullen 2010-05-29 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojacker (Post 685379)
lol.. well they say nothing worthwhile was ever easy :p

We'd be very glad to have you aboard Lullen, feel free to sign in the list of participants (wiki) at any time. If you're not sure of your project name yet, just put 'tbd' (to be determined) in there and update it later :)

It's done! :cool:

Btw, I hope you are helping participants with uploading the code and such :)

Lullen 2010-05-29 10:51

Quote:

It's a bit quiet today, so I thought I would pop in. In other words, *bump*!

We've been going just over a week now, 16 projects are listed on the wiki, $365 of bounty pledges, and we've had 1669 views of the page - so not a bad start I reckon :cool:

Let's hope we can keep it going and build on it :)

I have an hour or two before I hit the sack, I might write up a short beginner tutorial following on from the good works of mikec and fatalsaint.. hmm need ideas..

I think there need to be more guides that do not expect you to do some thinking on your own(trolltech guides can be hard). This is my first qt program I write, even my first c++ program and I have had some problems with guides that expect you to understand a bit but you don't. I think that a lot of the problem I have been struggling have been the enviroment and a lot of that have been fixed in the new SDK. Before that I had big problems with compiling etc so I never wrote more then 10 lines of code.

kojacker 2010-05-29 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by helex (Post 687639)
Nice Kojacker, thankyou. :)

Could you try youself a other audio example? :o

I asked 4 days ago here for help to get a signal from the microphone. Could you please try to help and look into it?

In my opinon I have a great Idea for a really nice project. But, I'm only a python and Qt beginner. So I guess the skill level for the core element of my application is to hight for me. :(

I need "only" every 20 to 100ms the sound level (noise) of the microphone. A spectrum would be even better, but I don't need it. Here is a C++ expample how it should also work at the N900: Link
I have all other needed parts or know how to do.

If it is impossible to do something like this in python, could someone please provide me a Library that could do the trick for me? :rolleyes:

Hi helex, I noticed your post and hoped somebody would have helped you out. Your skills are far beyond mine at this time, hence Im building fart apps whilst you're hiding your ideas from Steve Jobbs :p

I don't know anything about QtMobility tbh, are you using it to receive the sound or does it do other stuff like calculate the levels for you? If it's just to take in the noise, perhaps you check to see if pymedia can be used on the n900 to record noise from the microphone? It might be possible to bypass QtMultimedia altogether :confused:

kojacker 2010-05-29 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lullen (Post 687739)
I think there need to be more guides that do not expect you to do some thinking on your own(trolltech guides can be hard). This is my first qt program I write, even my first c++ program and I have had some problems with guides that expect you to understand a bit but you don't. I think that a lot of the problem I have been struggling have been the enviroment and a lot of that have been fixed in the new SDK. Before that I had big problems with compiling etc so I never wrote more then 10 lines of code.

I must admit, I had the same thoughts. Personally I dont find Qt very good, added to that I'm a Java programmer and stayed away from C++ all my life. So Qt is not a favorite option for me. What I did was turn to Python, using the best bit of Qt, the Qt Designer, only for the application GUI and then finishing the application by using Python as the implementation language - PyQt is Python bindings for the C++ Qt modules and methods so I can do all the same stuff but it's much easier to get started imo :) You also have other packages such as PyGame for, as the name suggests, more gaming related applications. You can find out more about pymaemo at the wiki http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo, also the tutorial link in the first post goes through the environment setup for working with Qt and Python - it's very good imo.

ArchiMark 2010-05-29 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojacker (Post 687218)
Interactive multimedia Hello World might be quite good, enter it anyway :cool:

Hmmm.......your tutorial has given me new ideas for my 'totally interactive multimedia Hello World' app...... ;)

Quote:

Alright.. you all wanted it. Pleaded for it. Begged on your knees for it! Ok.. nobody really wanted it but the first fart app for the N900 is here! :D

Build a simple Fart App in 30 Mins! N900, PyQt

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...528-230425.png

It's a simple tutorial I made, it's not the greatest ever but it might be useful for those who want to learn more about Qt and using Phonon for sound playback and.. farts. Farting in general. It's meant to carry on from the previous beginner tutorials, so visit those first (MikeCs and FatalSaints "Windows.. 30 mins" stickied thread.

I feel so unclean.. *runs off to take a shower*
Thanks for doing this kojacker. Excellent!

webhamster 2010-05-30 17:38

I join the contest. I'm currently developing the Advanced Geocaching Tool for the N900 and for this contest, I plan a whole bunch of new features, some of which are quiet innovative and all of which are very useful for geocaching.