maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best free video converter for Windows? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88964)

Addison 2013-02-04 01:38

Re: Best free video converter for Windows?

Great post Win7Mac.

I was toying around with the idea of downloading 1080p, but only for cartoons.

I found that my older tablet can be pushed to 720x480 if I lower the fps down to 15.

I think I'll give that conversion a try.

Thanks again for your detailed post. :)

stickymick 2013-02-04 13:49

Not sure if this is any good to anyone here:

SUPER © v2012.build.54.

Used to use it a lot myself when I was converting videos for my N95.

Win7Mac 2013-02-04 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 1320591)
I found that my older tablet can be pushed to 720x480 if I lower the fps down to 15.

I don't think that's a good idea... :p
You really should find out the native resolution of your display and convert files to that. If you set a bigger resolution you're wasting resources and the tablet has to downsize.
Also, reducing framerate below 25 results in non-fluid playback (for movies, for animation its not that apparent).
Framerate should always be kept as is for best results. If you're really at the edge of performance and have a 30p cllip which stutters you might be able to make it run smooth at 25p.
If that alone does not help, lower the bitrate.

Addison 2013-02-04 15:43

I rip DVD cartoons and keep the original 720X480 formatting, but yeah, the furthest I can push this is by dropping down to 15 fps.

Most of the time you can hardly tell of the lowered frame rate.

Anyway, I'll be experimenting for the next few days since I've grown tired of watching YouTube videos like that previous screenshot I provided earlier.

Thanks again for the great tips. :)

Win7Mac 2013-02-04 16:11

Which tablet model are we talking about?

thedead1440 2013-02-04 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1320749)
Which tablet model are we talking about?

N810

10chars

Win7Mac 2013-02-04 17:22

The N810 has a screen resolution of 800x480 and can display 65.536 colors only.
So first thing to do is check results with this setting, no million colors needed for this device, they'll get discarded/interpolated to what comes closest within the 65.536 colors range by the GPU. Save bandwith to what is really displayable.
As for best resolution, I'd use 800x450 for 16:9 content and 640x480 for 4:3 content with square pixels (Pixel-Aspect-Ratio=1). This will give you small black bars at top and bottom for 16:9 or at the sides for 4:3 content though, but should give best performance on device.
If PAR is 1 it's "native" to the display so 1 clip-pixel matches exactly 1 screen-pixel.
Your 720X480 footage has a PAR of ~1,185 if it's 16:9 content (Screen-Aspect-Ratio=16:9=1,778) which means pixels get stretched which is not native and needs interpolation done by device.

Also, why you want to use xvid.avi, it's not even listed in the specs?
Expect best performance and hardware-acceleration on any device with the codec the videocamera uses.
For the N810 that's H.263, MPEG-4.

Addison 2013-02-04 19:48

Heya Win7Mac.

I use Xvid, .avi because it simply rocks. :)

Not even my first gen Xbox is able to run .mp4 files very well so I try to avoid that encoding all together.

I can fully rip a DVD, using DVD Shrink with no compression, and my Xbox can play this perfectly while it's being streamed from an external hard drive, to my computer, then finally to my Xbox.

When I actually put a 720P .mp4 YouTube video directly on my Xbox's hard drive, it won't even play.

I doubt I will ever understand how it's able to stream a 4 or 5 Gig movie, but not be able to play a 700 meg .mp4 one that's sitting right there on the hard drive.

With .avi, my Xbox can handle about a 2.3 Gig movie stream in this format.

Anyway, if I close every application and go into offline (flight) mode on the tablet, the width times height in pixels (example: 640x360) really can't be pushed any further than 23,000 total unless you want to chop down the frames per second, which I do with cartoons.

But if you think H.263, MPEG-4 is the way to go, I'll give this a try right now.

Thanks again for being so helpful on this.

Cheers buddy. :)

Win7Mac 2013-02-04 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 1320805)
Not even my first gen Xbox is able to run .mp4 files very well so I try to avoid that encoding all together.

Strange, from this site I'd say H264.mp4 would be way better than xvid.avi in theory.
Probably play around with Profile settings baseline and main, and Level 3.1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 1320805)
But if you think H.263, MPEG-4 is the way to go, I'll give this a try right now.

Never tried to encode a 65.536 color video in H263, am curious myself how it looks like.

And set iframes or GoP to 1 second at max. (as a general rule). 12 or 6 frames would be even better.

Addison 2013-02-08 14:45

Quote:

Your 720X480 footage has a PAR of ~1,185 if it's 16:9 content (Screen-Aspect-Ratio=16:9=1,778) which means pixels get stretched which is not native and needs interpolation done by device.
My cartoon DVDs are originally 720x480 so I thought I was keeping all of my pixels perfect when keeping this same screen ratio.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the suggestions and ideas but I finally found the best answer for me.

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

On just one test run, this site uploaded and converted a 20+ minute HD YouTube video in under 4 minutes.

My home computer would have taken 25 minutes just to do that.

All I need now is to find the best settings on that site to achieve a super good video display. :)