maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Community saving Jolla and Sailfish OS ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96201)

taixzo 2015-11-25 21:41

Re: Community saving Jolla and Sailfish OS ?

If Jolla needs more people supporting them, maybe it would be more effective if we tried to help them with advertising?

velox 2015-11-25 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1489780)
If Jolla needs more people supporting them, maybe it would be more effective if we tried to help them with advertising?

Agreed.
I think the newsletter thing is a nice idea, because showing honest interest is a good start and easy to do for most of us:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcolistete (Post 1489756)
cma user in TJC suggested to "Register interest in Intex Sailfish OS Phone", by registering in the end of the page.

salyavin 2015-11-26 00:22

I registered on that Intex page weeks ago but I am not sure they'll get more than double digit people registering but it can't hurt and is free.

n9(00) 2015-11-26 02:50

I'd pay good money to replace the Android 5 on my Samsung S6 with a functional & supported SailfishOS.

After having a Nokia N9, the S6 is at best 'disappointing'.

And Google's intrusiveness is insulting.

snowman74 2015-11-26 12:20

I tried the advertising option. But I have to say that some of the shortcomings of the Jolla Phone make it a hard sale. That is why I think that a supported option of installing Sailfish on existing phones is a much more viable option. Maybe a quick win would be to work on the launcher for Android 5 so at least the main audience understands the logic of the OS.

NokiaFanatic 2015-11-26 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 1489717)
That wasn't what was said.

What was discussed is a concrete proposal that's on the shareholder/board table. It has to get approved, or not.

If the shareholders/investors are going to walk away from Sailfish (effectively by not providing funding) - surely agreement could be reached on maybe making an offer for Sailfish itself? It could be then open sourced, ran on community basis.

ggabriel 2015-11-26 12:29

Would people pay 200-300€ for a SFOS image to install on a non Jolla phone, knowing that they won't get maps or alien dalvik?

nodevel 2015-11-26 12:50

I try to keep my healthy skepticism regarding further investment into Jolla, the company, so I try to focus on SailfishOS itself. Since opening its source needs to be approved by the board/investors, is there anything that would make them decide to do so?

When you look at the amount of contributions to the currently open code like the Browser or Documents, it is not a very convincing look (and I am not bashing anyone for it, since I haven't contributed myself for various reasons). I believe that if the OS got opened, there would be soon some CSSU version (and I would be glad to contribute at least on the UI side), but it is in no way certain.

I have seen some people on TJC calling for an open letter to investors and I thought it is not the brightest idea, but what about doing something else:

What if the community (namely people who could contribute) would send an open letter to Jolla, offering to keep working on SailfishOS if the whole source is released under an open license? It of course would not be legally binding, but it would mean something concrete on the table as an argument for opening the code.

In the ideal scenario, Jolla would be kept alive with only few employees that would try to license the system (as it is quite complete) to potential partners and the community would keep it alive (not just for Jolla, but for themselves) through the community version. At least temporarily, until Jolla turned profitable (or went out of business completely).

Just my 2c.

ggabriel 2015-11-26 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1489865)
What if the community (namely people who could contribute) would send an open letter to Jolla, offering to keep working on SailfishOS if the whole source is released under an open license? It of course would not be legally binding, but it would mean something concrete on the table as an argument for opening the code.

While I like your idea and spirit behind it, all the investors I know (directly or indirectly) have actually no clue of what the business they're investing on is about. So, depends on this particular investor really. You can argue that if they knew about this business, they should be reading tmo, tjc and so on right now.

NokiaFanatic 2015-11-26 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1489865)
I have seen some people on TJC calling for an open letter to investors and I thought it is not the brightest idea, but what about doing something else:

No the TJC thread is going about it the right why. The investors own Jolla and the SailfishOS source code. Only the investors can authorize the opening sourcing of the code.