maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Petition for QWERTY smartphones (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90249)

ste-phan 2013-05-29 09:33

Re: Petition for QWERTY smartphones

Signed. Although I find the term QWERTY a little bit poorly choosen.
It is a hardware keyboard I want. Be it qwerty or azerty or other layout.
Give me options!!!

And to all that are saying people don't want and don't need hardware keyboards: why you need to follow the marketing imposed "needs" or "intrests" of a majority whose first and only smartphone experience was iPhone or later copies of the candybar concept?

-stop supporting hardware manufacturers to go so cheap on us by leaving out HW KB, IR, FM, SD, HDMI, Battery replacable, dual charge options.
-force them to make durable hardware that last a couple of years instead of supporting them by paying big cash for some minor upgrades in HW every six months.
-no more obsolescence by design by lack of RAM (Nokia!) or memory expansion possibilities.
-OS Development is the key.

Really, I hate -=working=- on a touch screen only device. It is only good for play.

onethreealpha 2013-05-29 11:49

@ qwazix
Agree here. Despite the price, I don't see the Q10 as a real High end Device, based solely on screen size and the compressed keyboard (no matter that it's actually great to type on once you get used to it)

Also, you're right about the generational aspect of touchscreen use. we have untold millions that never had phones prior to the i-phone, and as such think that qwerty is old tech as opposed to good tech.

@ste-phan
Please don't take my earlier comments the wrong way. My point is that (regardless of the fact that it has been imposed by handset makers), most people don't care, based on the fact that there clearly hasn't been enough noise made to force handset makers to move away from the current trend.
Screens are cheap (even HD ones these days) and high quality hardware keyboards cost money.
from a commercial perspective, until governments and entities take steps to force manufacturers to deviate from a policy of planned obsolescence, nothing will change.
the average consumer with a handset that doesn't have a user replaceable battery would rather just fork out fro a new phone that pay money to get the battery changed - sad but true reflection of just how the "1st world" consumer machine works....
the really sad part for me is, Had the N950 been commercially available, i'd have had no hesitation handing over $1k+ for it (geez, I paid $1100 for the SE W960 and that sucker ran UIQ!!)

chemist 2013-05-29 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1347458)
Signed, add a 5+ screen as well.

buy a tablet... SGTab2 7" is a phone...

misterc 2013-05-31 08:56

[OT]
Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1347658)
I don't think there was anything like that.

You are propably thinking about a poll on "jollatides.com" some time ago but that's got nothing to do with Jolla AFAIK.
(the effect would be same as with a poll on TMO affecting something that Nokia does...)

don't think it was on Jolla.com neither
however, i disagree with your statement that Jolla does not care more about Community then NOKIA did
  • if you make such a statement, you are obviously not following / carrying about Jolla
    Quote:

join the tribe
    + those ppl worked at NOKIA and they started Jolla 'cuz they believe in FOSS
    what is FOSS about, again?
  • just because you don't appreciate what NOKIA did doesn't mean NOKIA didn't care about Maemo
    if this was really so, Maemo.org (including TMO) would have been shut down a long time ago...

think about what you are writing, maybe? :mad:
[/OT]

Dave999 2013-05-31 08:59

I really hope Jolla can get their **** together and release a mobile computer as their second device.

misterc 2013-05-31 09:04

or an other half QUERTY?
Jolla is a small company attempting something NOKIA failed at.
they have the experience of what they are doing, 'cuz they already did it @ NOKIA, but they don't have the unlimited funds NOKIA threw at Maemo.
there is rumour of a cheaper Jolla device in 2014
expecting more from them right now is... unrealistic?

Dave999 2013-05-31 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1348249)
or an other half QUERTY?
Jolla is a small company attempting something NOKIA failed at.
they have the experience of what they are doing, 'cuz they already did it @ NOKIA, but they don't have the unlimited funds NOKIA threw at Maemo.
there is rumour of a cheaper Jolla device in 2014
expecting more from them right now is... unrealistic?

I doubt the quality of an otherside QWERTY can be up to my standards. This requires additional features in SW too.

But sure, Would be really cool if they built one.

misterc 2013-05-31 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1348254)
I doubt the quality of an otherside QWERTY can be up to my standards. This requires additional features in SW too.

But sure, Would be really cool if they built one.

again... the Jolla folks worked at NOKIA (many of 'em) and use N950s and N9s all day long...
some maybe even where familiar (still) with Communicators, which i suspect, NOKIA hoped to replace with N810s and N900s

chances are they appreciate a HW kbd as much or even more then you, don't you think?
  • many are developers themselves
  • they care about the community and want to foster it; even though they are not jollatides, can't believe they don't keep an eye on it & saw the "favorite device" pool...
    nearly 50% want a hardware keyboard

me thinks we'll get a QWERTY other half, carefully integrated...

juiceme 2013-05-31 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1348246)
however, i disagree with your statement that Jolla does not care more about Community then NOKIA did
if you make such a statement, you are obviously not following / carrying about Jolla
just because you don't appreciate what NOKIA did doesn't mean NOKIA didn't care about Maemo
if this was really so, Maemo.org (including TMO) would have been shut down a long time ago...

Sir, you have completely misunderstood what I said here! :eek:

I did not state that Jolla does not care about community!
I did not state that Nokia did not care about community!

What I meant to say, and seemingly did not make myself clear about, is that if the venue for such a poll is carried on a fanzine site, the message propably does not carry up to the decision makers like it would if it was carried out on an official site.

Just stating the facts here, I was not about to go hurting anybody :)

misterc 2013-05-31 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1348268)
Sir, you have completely misunderstood what I said here! :eek:

I did not state that Jolla does not care about community!
I did not state that Nokia did not care about community!

What I meant to say, and seemingly did not make myself clear about, is that if the venue for such a poll is carried on a fanzine site, the message propably does not carry up to the decision makers like it would if it was carried out on an official site.

Just stating the facts here, I was not about to go hurting anybody :)

i think your facts are wrong
no offence.