maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is it helpfull for us? Kali Linux now available for download from Microsoft Store (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100239)

juiceme 2018-03-10 07:57

Re: Is it helpfull for us? Kali Linux now available for download from Microsoft Store

Quote:

Originally Posted by badpixel (Post 1542203)
It's what I usually liked to do with my daily machines, so if your team would ever need more workers, then please contact me.
BTW, where is your work located? Is it remote or local in office?

I work most days in office in Finland, Espoo and maybe one day a week remote from home. The company is called Nokia :D

Amboss 2018-03-10 09:47

Re: Is it helpfull for us? Kali Linux now available for download from Microsoft Store

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1542211)
The company is called Nokia :D

should I know them? Who are they?:p

badpixel 2018-03-13 21:53

I read that Nokia closed it's R&D center in Finland and moved it to China(like Factories previously). So I'm quiet surspised.

juiceme 2018-03-14 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by badpixel (Post 1542361)
I read that Nokia closed it's R&D center in Finland and moved it to China(like Factories previously). So I'm quiet surspised.

You must be thinking of Nokia Mobile Phones which indeed does not exist any longer, it was sold off to Microsoft a few years back and eventually discontinued.

The parent company "Nokia" still exists, employing something around 60000 people around the world, about 10% of that in Finland. In Europe we are among the top software houses as far as I know.

Boemien 2018-03-14 10:54

You Guys have any Idea of Microsoft releasing the closed drivers for Maemo, and the N900 in particular ? Or should we have to open an online petition or something like that ?

juiceme 2018-03-14 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boemien (Post 1542372)
You Guys have any Idea of Microsoft releasing the closed drivers for Maemo, and the N900 in particular ? Or should we have to open an online petition or something like that ?

No, won't happen. AFAIK Microsoft did not get Maemo rights, only featurephones/symbian/lumia. The rest of the things got stashed to Nokia Technologies which is the department handling patents and licensing.

Boemien 2018-03-14 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1542373)
No, won't happen. AFAIK Microsoft did not get Maemo rights, only featurephones/symbian/lumia. The rest of the things got stashed to Nokia Technologies which is the department handling patents and licensing.

Well, it's been about 8 to 9 years that the n900 has been released, we should do an action or something like that so that Nokia releases the closed drivers, at least for the N900...
The phone is still good and should be updated with the latest softwares...

freemangordon 2018-03-14 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boemien (Post 1542374)
...closed drivers, at least for the N900...

please, stop that.

https://elinux.org/N900

gerbick 2018-03-14 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1542386)
please, stop that.

https://elinux.org/N900

TIL. But I have to ask; beyond the PowerVR stuff, this means that it's largely open now? Flash that, you have a fully functioning device?

Please forgive my ignorance. Just found out about this.

wicket 2018-03-14 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1542391)
TIL. But I have to ask; beyond the PowerVR stuff, this means that it's largely open now? Flash that, you have a fully functioning device?

Please forgive my ignorance. Just found out about this.

The only closed parts are PowerVR drivers, Wi-Fi firmware and Bluetooth firmware. The closed firmwares will work with recent mainline kernels. PowerVR is working with patches which are unlikely to ever be accepted upstream.

It really depends on what you expect from a fully functioning device. If you expect to be able to run a Linux distro for the desktop, that will mostly work. If you expect to have something like Fremantle with everything integrated, where everything works like phone calls, etc, well we're not quite there yet. That's what we're aiming for with Leste. Most of the stuff left to do is in userspace, bar the odd kernel bug.

Right now the N900 is the phone with best support in mainline Linux. If you're looking for something more modern, the Droid 4 is catching up.