maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   DebiaN900 - A set of scripts to facilitate the installation of native Debian (WIP) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93878)

wicket 2015-02-10 23:51

Re: DebiaN900 - A set of scripts to facilitate the installation of native Debian (WIP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by baranovskiykonstantin (Post 1455546)
Hi!

First of all want say thank you all for your hard work!

I want to share the experience of the assembly system using these scripts.

Host system: Ubuntu 14.04 32bit.
Configuration files are left unchanged.

1. build_kernel.sh
Kernel build will fail (circular dependency between libphy and of_mdio).
Solved the problem with a patch.

I know about the circular dependency problem with Linux 3.16. It sounds like the problem was caused by this commit. I'll look into it.

Quote:

2. install_debian.sh
The first installation of the system also failed. As it turned out the problem was established scratchbox. Later, repeated the installation on another computer using the same operating system without scretchbox, is making progress, but met another problem. To solve this problem need to disable automatic mounting of the card reader and mount the card manually.

Just to make it clear to anyone else, these scripts are not intended to be run inside Scratchbox.

Quote:

3. configure_u-boot.sh
Here, everything went without problems.

Finally managed to run the system on N900 :)

I hope it will help others avoid similar problems.

Thanks for the tips!

wicket 2015-02-10 23:57

Re: DebiaN900 - A set of scripts to facilitate the installation of native Debian (WIP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1455968)
Depending on your location some mirrors will be faster than others and some might even have an unstable connnection.

For example I come from Germany (Berlin region), so ftp.de.debian.org should be best in my case. But in fact ftp.cz.debian.org is usually faster and more stable for me.

So if you live closer to New York than to Indianapolis (that's where debian.org is registered) in terms of server hops, usually also but not necessarily geographically chosing the Columbia University mirror would make sense.

http.debian.net should act as load-balancer/redirector and select the best mirror automatically. You can test it here. In my experience, some mirrors do occasionally encounter the odd problem during package updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saponga (Post 1455922)
EDIT: Its running now.

Glad you got it working.

wicket 2015-02-11 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android_808 (Post 1459884)
wicket: any updates lately?

Unfortunately not. I still have lots of plans for this project but as a post-grad student with no income right now, I've found it hard to justify dedicating any significant time to it. It's not helped by the fact that I only have one N900 which serves as my everyday mobile phone/computer but doubles as my device for testing so booting into Debian becomes a problem given that calls don't currently work in Debian.

I've recently been thinking that maybe I need to change the direction of the project and evolve it into a full Linux distribution based on Debian (and/or Devuan). It's becoming less and less like Debian with the stuff that gets added to it (e.g. non-Debian kernel) and with the decisions I make about what packages should or shouldn't be included by default. My thoughts are that it currently needs to be bleeding-edge to deliver the best possible experience but the long term objective would be that many of the differences could eventually be merged back into Debian. My personal focus would still be for usability on the N900 and Neo900 but I would also like to look into getting libhybris running on it so that it will be usable on Jolla and supported Android devices.

I would hope that this would generate much more interest and external contributions to the project than it currently has. In turn I could raise funds via donations, hopefully enough to be able to justify being able to dedicate up to 20 hours per week of my time. Raising funds would also enable me to buy a second N900, and cover hosting costs for a website and APT repositories. In the longer term, I will look for a sponsor to make it sustainable.

The DebiaN900 scripts will form the basis for building the distro so they won't suddenly disappear and I will continue work on them in the meantime.

To those reading this, what are your thoughts? Is this a crazy plan or do you think it could work?

DDark 2015-02-11 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1460366)
I've recently been thinking that maybe I need to change the direction of the project and evolve it into a full Linux distribution based on Debian (and/or Devuan). It's becoming less and less like Debian with the stuff that gets added to it (e.g. non-Debian kernel) and with the decisions I make about what packages should or shouldn't be included by default. My thoughts are that it currently needs to be bleeding-edge to deliver the best possible experience but the long term objective would be that many of the differences could eventually be merged back into Debian. My personal focus would still be for usability on the N900 and Neo900 but I would also like to look into getting libhybris running on it so that it will be usable on Jolla and supported Android devices.

I personally don't like the idea of bleeding-edge approach, but I like the idea of debian-based distro with voice-calls support.

Quote:

Raising funds would also enable me to buy a second N900

What about getting in touch with Neo900 team and obtain one of those Mozilla donated phones?

sulu 2015-02-11 08:18

I agree with DDark. You should get in contact with the Neo900 devs.
Maybe you can team up in your efforts to bring Debian to the N(eo)900.

Besides phone support, power consumption seems like a major issue to me. I get about 6 hours of battery runtime with DebiaN900 (idle with backlight off but not suspended).
I know it's a huge leap but I'd like to have four times as much (trading suspend with still working calls for actually doing something on the phone).

wicket 2015-02-11 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDark (Post 1460381)
I personally don't like the idea of bleeding-edge approach, but I like the idea of debian-based distro with voice-calls support.

Just to clarify what I mean by bleeding-edge. The distro will be built on top of Debian so my current thinking is to provide separate images based on Debian stable and Debian testing with sid being available to build via the scripts. Bleeding-edge refers to the extra stuff on top of Debian that will be provided by my distro. This will help the project to work at an accelerated pace. I don't have the resources right now for the thorough testing that goes into producing a stable distro so I don't see any other way of going about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDark (Post 1460381)
What about getting in touch with Neo900 team and obtain one of those Mozilla donated phones?

Thank you for the suggestion. I will contact them.

wicket 2015-02-11 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1460387)
I agree with DDark. You should get in contact with the Neo900 devs.
Maybe you can team up in your efforts to bring Debian to the N(eo)900.

Good idea. I will contact them to find out if they have anything planned with regards to Debian support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1460387)
Besides phone support, power consumption seems like a major issue to me. I get about 6 hours of battery runtime with DebiaN900 (idle with backlight off but not suspended).
I know it's a huge leap but I'd like to have four times as much (trading suspend with still working calls for actually doing something on the phone).

Me too. A lot of this stuff is new to me so it will take me some time to investigate and develop solutions. I have however recently started an experiment which should allow us to run much of Fremantle on top of Debian with little overhead and hopefully it will bring its power saving features with it.

pharmakon 2015-02-11 20:11

Quote:

I would hope that this would generate much more interest and external contributions to the project than it currently has. In turn I could raise funds via donations, hopefully enough to be able to justify being able to dedicate up to 20 hours per week of my time. Raising funds would also enable me to buy a second N900, and cover hosting costs for a website and APT repositories. In the longer term, I will look for a sponsor to make it sustainable.

It's a shame that you don't have a spare to work on. I have a number of N900s in various conditions - one has a dead microphone, one is one of those HK refurb/forgeries w/ the missing magnet on a flimsy back cover, one is my currently daily phone (used and abused) which has suffered some wicked drops and has dead USB disease (I've been too lazy to repair it because I just rsync and I have spares to use as battery chargers), and finally another used one from ebay that I'm planning to make my daily driver.

I'm in the middle of a apartment move (which is incidentally good for taking account of where everything I own is), so it may take a short while, but I have a N900 surplus and I'd like to fix your N900 deficit.

PM me so I have a reminder.

pharmakon
(bought N900 on release day, lurker on tmo since 2010, Neo900 purchaser.)

Android_808 2015-02-11 22:17

Kind of similar to your aim, I'm trying to get use Debian packages where possible without modification (only starting dbus earlier at the moment), stick in some Nemo base packages (mce, dsme, statefs etc) and then stick a gtk3 port of hildon on top. Currently just fighting a load of bashisms in the script files they use...with no real shell programming experience :(

The idea was that the Debian and Mer/Nemo packages (with exception of packaging) would be maintained upstream, reducing the amount of work needed to maintain the distro. The Maemo>Meego>Mer/Nemo heritage of some of the packages should allow some of the other open source Maemo packages to be updated/ported. Basically, a modernised Fremantle clone.

sulu 2015-02-12 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1460448)
I have however recently started an experiment which should allow us to run much of Fremantle on top of Debian with little overhead and hopefully it will bring its power saving features with it.

"Easy Maemo"? :p

Maybe you should also contact Aapo!
He tried to rebase Maemo on Squeeze [1] and Wheezy [2] and must therefore have some idea of what awaits you.

edit:
@Android_808:
Did you consider checking whether your efforts are compatible with those of FPTF?

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89416]
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91709

Android_808 2015-02-12 14:18

@sulu: Not really at the moment. FPTF is more about getting what we've got running on another device, I'm aiming more towards getting a Maemo-like interface up and running using a different base. I want to use gtk3 and/or qt5 for UI so that breaks a lot of existing packages. More like investigating the options for a Maemo 6/7 as opposed to working towards 5.x.

The packages I'm using avoid some of the closed source components but at what cost I'm yet to fully determine. I could have gone Cordia route and just put interface on top of Mer/Nemo but I prefer dpkg over rpm for packaging.

At the moment it's just a personal project for me, until I can ascertain what is needed to take it further. If there is anything that is beneficial to FPTF then I'm more than happy to lend a hand if available.

DDark 2015-02-12 17:18

Interesting, just by following this thread I found that there are at least 3 people(FTPF not counting) working on rebasing maemo on top of Debian. And the question is obvious, why not cooperate ?

wicket 2015-02-13 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharmakon (Post 1460462)
It's a shame that you don't have a spare to work on. I have a number of N900s in various conditions - one has a dead microphone, one is one of those HK refurb/forgeries w/ the missing magnet on a flimsy back cover, one is my currently daily phone (used and abused) which has suffered some wicked drops and has dead USB disease (I've been too lazy to repair it because I just rsync and I have spares to use as battery chargers), and finally another used one from ebay that I'm planning to make my daily driver.

I'm in the middle of a apartment move (which is incidentally good for taking account of where everything I own is), so it may take a short while, but I have a N900 surplus and I'd like to fix your N900 deficit.

PM me so I have a reminder.

pharmakon
(bought N900 on release day, lurker on tmo since 2010, Neo900 purchaser.)

Thank you very much for your offer. I have asked the Neo900 team if they can provide me with a Mozilla donated N900. If nothing comes of it, I will gladly take you up on your offer. Thanks again and welcome to TMO!

wicket 2015-02-13 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDark (Post 1460556)
Interesting, just by following this thread I found that there are at least 3 people(FTPF not counting) working on rebasing maemo on top of Debian. And the question is obvious, why not cooperate ?

Nice idea. I would be happy to cooperate with anything that helps with improving the Debian mobile experience. My experiment however is substantially different from Android_808 and Aapo's rebase work. My plan is to use LXC and OverlayFS (recently mainlined) to run Fremantle in a container. It should be quite feasible, I just haven't really spent any time on it yet.

reinob 2015-02-13 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1460604)
Nice idea. I would be happy to cooperate with anything that helps with improving the Debian mobile experience. My experiment however is substantially different from Android_808 and Aapo's rebase work. My plan is to use LXC and OverlayFS (recently mainlined) to run Fremantle in a container. It should be quite feasible, I just haven't really spent any time on it yet.

Sounds like a brilliant idea! :)

Let's see what Jörg say re. a N900 for you. If it doesn't work out I'll gladly send some money your way.

realu 2015-03-04 19:32

hi all,

i wanted to thank everyone who is working on getting debian to run on a mobile phone!

realu

AapoRantalainen 2015-03-22 18:27

My approach was
* get rid everything Nokia messed
* merge to Debian everything Nokia did well

I never got (any) gles-driver working with kernel 3.X. Lately I have been busy with other things.

freemangordon 2015-03-22 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1464675)
My approach was
* get rid everything Nokia messed

I never got (any) gles-driver working with kernel 3.X. Lately I have been busy with other things.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=142

this is the kernel on https://gitorious.org/linux-n900/fre...9718ae78a33c8: (the "upstream", not my clone, should work as well)

sulu 2015-03-25 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1464675)

I don't remember:
Did you try to merge Fremantle's UI? I think that's something Nokia did very well.
I remember the hildon package in Squeeze being a fubar version of Chinook or Diablo and Debian's matchbox being mostly unuseable.

AapoRantalainen 2015-03-25 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1464880)
I don't remember:
Did you try to merge Fremantle's UI? I think that's something Nokia did very well.

Yes and yes.
I got Hildon-desktop (cordia patched) compiled and running top of Jessie running on N900:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=82

Thus seems I haven't posted step-by-step instructions or links to the sources.

radiochickenwax 2015-04-07 04:07

Any updates since this? Did you (Wicket) ever get in touch with neo900 folks?

Quote:

To those reading this, what are your thoughts? Is this a crazy plan or do you think it could work?

I'm really glad someone is still working on this. Yeah, it's a crazy plan, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

I'm in a similar spot right now being a grad student with no income, so I couldn't donate much, but I could donate a little like one of my n900s with a broken usb port and worn out keys (probably a last resort for you). It's a real pita working with those things, (think multiple battery swaps daily) but they do work.

wicket 2015-04-07 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiochickenwax (Post 1465926)
Any updates since this? Did you (Wicket) ever get in touch with neo900 folks?

I'm really glad someone is still working on this. Yeah, it's a crazy plan, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

I'm in a similar spot right now being a grad student with no income, so I couldn't donate much, but I could donate a little like one of my n900s with a broken usb port and worn out keys (probably a last resort for you). It's a real pita working with those things, (think multiple battery swaps daily) but they do work.

I did get in touch but I haven't had any response.

Thanks for your offer but I'd prefer to accept one of the other offers with a USB port as I've no means of external charging. I've had no time recently to work on the project so I'd rather wait until things ease up a little bit than accept somebody's kind donation and then do nothing with it. I may end up buying one locally to avoid shipping and import charges.

I have decided I will be going ahead with my crazy plan as it seems to be the best way forward.

freemangordon 2015-04-07 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1465973)
I did get in touch but I haven't had any response.

Not that I am responsible for what Neo900 will come preinstalled with, but my impression is that it is just too early. Meh, we're trying to bring the onenand memory up as I am writing this.

Please, don't take the lack of response as if noone cares.

P.S.
/me hates playing PR guy :)

Android_808 2015-05-16 20:31

A little update on my side project.

I have managed to get hildon-desktop "running" on top of clutter 1.20, libmx 1.47 and gtk3 in amd64 Jessie image via systemd-nspawn/Xephyr. As stated before this is my own long term project so armel/armhf isn't high proirity just yet.
  • As a temporary measure I have copied the files from hildon-theme-alpha and set up the default symlink so I have some usable graphics (why they chose "default" instead of "Default" like everything else, who knows).
  • Menu doesn't appear correctly, ie. at all, and requires ctrl+backspace to return to desktop. Might be because the menu is empty, might be because I had to rewrite the entire menu tree code :p
  • Edit desktop icon appears, clicking that works but drop down menu is missing but then I haven't got around to hildon-home yet so I suspect that's the issue.
  • Apps opened from another vt display, with task switcher etc but it's a little tempermental (clutter timeline related I think), so you have to click a few times.

I've attempted to patch some of the depreciated functions in hildon-desktop but got annoyed working out how to deal with default clutter stage, so just turned off the errors. Nemomobile mce doesn't support all the dbus calls we use, such as enabling accelerometer or announcing orientation changes. These sort of things I'll go back to when everything actually runs.

Next step is to try and get hildon-home and hildon-status-menu running in some form. Might take a while to learn and then rewrite and gnomevfs bits to gio/gvfs.

Aapo: with regards to the pvr background images not displaying in your version, try copying the png files from /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds to /home/user/.backgrounds and renaming background-1.png etc. Worked for me, I still get messages about not being able to load ~/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr etc but it works fine and even N900 doesn't have them files. Don't worry about the cache file that exists on device, it works without for now. I imagine the actual process of caching the files there is part of hildon-home.

misiak 2015-05-17 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android_808 (Post 1470513)
A little update on my side project.

I have managed to get hildon-desktop "running" on top of clutter 1.20, libmx 1.47 and gtk3 in amd64 Jessie image via systemd-nspawn/Xephyr. As stated before this is my own long term project so armel/armhf isn't high proirity just yet.
  • As a temporary measure I have copied the files from hildon-theme-alpha and set up the default symlink so I have some usable graphics (why they chose "default" instead of "Default" like everything else, who knows).
  • Menu doesn't appear correctly, ie. at all, and requires ctrl+backspace to return to desktop. Might be because the menu is empty, might be because I had to rewrite the entire menu tree code :p
  • Edit desktop icon appears, clicking that works but drop down menu is missing but then I haven't got around to hildon-home yet so I suspect that's the issue.
  • Apps opened from another vt display, with task switcher etc but it's a little tempermental (clutter timeline related I think), so you have to click a few times.

I've attempted to patch some of the depreciated functions in hildon-desktop but got annoyed working out how to deal with default clutter stage, so just turned off the errors. Nemomobile mce doesn't support all the dbus calls we use, such as enabling accelerometer or announcing orientation changes. These sort of things I'll go back to when everything actually runs.

Next step is to try and get hildon-home and hildon-status-menu running in some form. Might take a while to learn and then rewrite and gnomevfs bits to gio/gvfs.

Aapo: with regards to the pvr background images not displaying in your version, try copying the png files from /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds to /home/user/.backgrounds and renaming background-1.png etc. Worked for me, I still get messages about not being able to load ~/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr etc but it works fine and even N900 doesn't have them files. Don't worry about the cache file that exists on device, it works without for now. I imagine the actual process of caching the files there is part of hildon-home.

Is the code available somewhere (github etc.)? I would love to look, even if it's dirty :)

Android_808 2015-05-17 13:39

Not yet. At the moment, everything is in quilt patches so I can track changes I've made easier. don't want to end up with a git commit log full of reverted changes at the moment.

I'm currently trying a build of ffmpeg-2.6.3 which isn't playing very nice with dh_install for some reason whilst away from home today. I'll look at uploading some sources soon, may need to update some nemomobile components again before I can commit my changes. hildon bits I might just upload tarball somewhere until I'm happy with it.

Dirty? Yep, definately in places for the sake of getting something running. Nemo uses rpm, which uses bash, therefore I've had to patch some of them. The ones I don't know how I've just left as bash scripts. Defines modified (HAVE_DSME vs HAVE_DSME_FIXLATER) to avoid having to disable support completely.

jellyroll 2015-05-31 16:51

I did received this error after the install_debian.sh script.

I: Checking component main on http://http.debian.net/debian...
E: Couldn't find these debs: 0xffff
Installation failed

wicket 2015-05-31 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyroll (Post 1472043)
I did received this error after the install_debian.sh script.

I: Checking component main on http://http.debian.net/debian...
E: Couldn't find these debs: 0xffff
Installation failed

0xFFFF is the open FIASCO flasher. It seems that it was removed from Testing in March and consequently it didn't make it into Jessie although it's now back in Testing. It's not essential but it's nice to have. You can just remove it from the RECOMMENDED list in debian.conf to avoid the error. I'll fix it in the Git repo soon.

jellyroll 2015-06-04 07:38

I: Configuring xserver-xorg-video-all...
I: Configuring libc-bin...
I: Configuring systemd...
I: Configuring initramfs-tools...
I: Configuring dbus...
I: Base system installed successfully.
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: libphy -> of_mdio -> libphy
Installation failed
You have new mail in /var/mail/root

wicket 2015-06-05 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyroll (Post 1472561)
I: Configuring xserver-xorg-video-all...
I: Configuring libc-bin...
I: Configuring systemd...
I: Configuring initramfs-tools...
I: Configuring dbus...
I: Base system installed successfully.
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: libphy -> of_mdio -> libphy
Installation failed
You have new mail in /var/mail/root

That's the same error that baranovskiykonstantin reported here. I finally got around to fixing it. To be honest though, that kernel is a bit old now and I really want to make a more recent kernel the default. I'm going to try one of pali's kernels although last time I tried one it wouldn't boot.

The other error you reported is now also fixed in Git.

Akkumaru 2015-06-12 11:13

This happens when I try running ./build_kernel.sh. I run arch linux with gcc 5.1 installed.
Code:

freemangordons-linux-n900 directory already exists.  Skipping cloning of Git repository.
Already on 'v3.16-rc1-n900'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/v3.16-rc1-n900'.
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
#
#
  CHK    include/config/kernel.release
  CHK    include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK    include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
In file included from include/linux/compiler.h:54:0,
                from include/uapi/linux/stddef.h:1,
                from include/linux/stddef.h:4,
                from ./include/uapi/linux/posix_types.h:4,
                from include/uapi/linux/types.h:13,
                from include/linux/types.h:5,
                from include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:11,
                from scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.c:2:
include/linux/compiler-gcc.h:106:30: fatal error: linux/compiler-gcc5.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:153: recipe for target 'scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s' failed
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:404: recipe for target 'scripts/mod' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
Makefile:553: recipe for target 'scripts' failed
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.

wicket 2015-06-12 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1473360)
This happens when I try running ./build_kernel.sh. I run arch linux with gcc 5.1 installed.
Code:

freemangordons-linux-n900 directory already exists.  Skipping cloning of Git repository.
Already on 'v3.16-rc1-n900'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/v3.16-rc1-n900'.
#
#
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
#
#
  CHK    include/config/kernel.release
  CHK    include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK    include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
In file included from include/linux/compiler.h:54:0,
                from include/uapi/linux/stddef.h:1,
                from include/linux/stddef.h:4,
                from ./include/uapi/linux/posix_types.h:4,
                from include/uapi/linux/types.h:13,
                from include/linux/types.h:5,
                from include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:11,
                from scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.c:2:
include/linux/compiler-gcc.h:106:30: fatal error: linux/compiler-gcc5.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:153: recipe for target 'scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s' failed
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:404: recipe for target 'scripts/mod' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
Makefile:553: recipe for target 'scripts' failed
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.

GCC 5 is not supported on the kernel you are building. Try building 3.18 or above or alternatively build it with GCC 4. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be looking into updating the default kernel with a more recent one.

Akkumaru 2015-06-12 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1473405)
GCC 5 is not supported on the kernel you are building. Try building 3.18 or above or alternatively build it with GCC 4. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be looking into updating the default kernel with a more recent one.

Ah I see, I just realized. Built it with GCC 4.9. Funny how it was compiler-gcc5.h that it said was missing XD

Akkumaru 2015-06-13 05:00

New problem :( When I run ./install_debian.sh, after extracting the packages this shows up
Code:

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt mount -t proc proc /proc
This is in /mnt/debootstrap/debootstrap.log
Code:

chroot: failed to run command ‘mount’: Exec format error

wicket 2015-06-15 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1473435)
New problem :( When I run ./install_debian.sh, after extracting the packages this shows up
Code:

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt mount -t proc proc /proc
This is in /mnt/debootstrap/debootstrap.log
Code:

chroot: failed to run command ‘mount’: Exec format error

It sounds like qemu-debootstrap is failing to run the ARM binaries. Make sure you have installed QEMU with ARM support.

Edit: Thanks for finding this. I've now updated the README and script to check for the existence of qemu-arm-static so that it will fail gracefully before the installation starts.

Dongle Fongle 2015-06-16 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1445547)
The so-called xprot module (which is part of voice module blob in maemo) is still not ready. xprot is exactly what protects n900's speakers to not produce white smoke :). So, we still don't have the needed functionality.

xprot is the next thing I will try to finish.

EDIT:
BTW that shouldn't stop you from building what is already being done against debian PA and testing it. with external speakers connected to 3.5 mm jack n900 is perfectly safe.

Would installing DebiaN900 and using ALSA be a solution to play stutter free audio (or acceptably less stutter) gapless through oscp or panucci with a 44.1khz mp3 files audiobook? Simply playing these files makes my N900 go loco. Any proposed fixes I have read do not eliminate the problem..yet. Even when not having started any other apps it is hard to comfortably listen when the sound breaks up every few sentences.

See previous post : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=195

Or is there being worked on an updated version of pulseaudio, freemangordon perhaps? I've tried on latest cssu testing, thumb, stable (three seperate devices) with pulseaudio 0.9.15-1maemo43+0m5. Same issue with multiple files!

Should this be learned to live with or is a fix possible?

wicket 2015-06-17 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dongle Fongle (Post 1473671)
Would installing DebiaN900 and using ALSA be a solution to play stutter free audio (or acceptably less stutter) gapless through oscp or panucci with a 44.1khz mp3 files audiobook? Simply playing these files makes my N900 go loco. Any proposed fixes I have read do not eliminate the problem..yet. Even when not having started any other apps it is hard to comfortably listen when the sound breaks up every few sentences.

See previous post : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=195

Or is there being worked on an updated version of pulseaudio, freemangordon perhaps? I've tried on latest cssu testing, thumb, stable (three seperate devices) with pulseaudio 0.9.15-1maemo43+0m5. Same issue with multiple files!

Should this be learned to live with or is a fix possible?

Using ALSA without PulseAudio and the xprot module would result in speaker damage although that shouldn't be a problem if you plug in headphones (try it at your own risk!). The rest is off topic for this thread.

wicket 2015-06-20 20:40

I've just pushed a bunch of commits.

Here are the highlights:
  • It's now using a kernel from Pali's repository. The default kernel is now 4.0-rc1. I tested the 4.1 branches but there is a regression that breaks the touchscreen (mouse) cursor. This fixes the hang issue on shutdown/suspend and also fixes the RTC so that the previously in-place workaround is no longer required. See here and here for more info.
  • You can now create debian.conf.local and kernel.conf.local files to override the regular conf files with your own settings. These files are not tracked by Git so you won't lose your settings when pull the latest files. Additional packages can be installed with debootstrap by setting the EXTRA variable in debian.conf.local.
  • New SUPPRESS_DISCLAIMER and SUPPRESS_WARNING options for unattended installs.
  • Parts that require interactivity (setting up passwords, locale and time zone) have been moved to run on first boot instead of the chroot phase. This completes the rest of work needed for unattended installs.
  • Various portability fixes for POSIX compliance.
  • Kernel build script now includes all features needed for full LXC hosting (can be disabled if undesired).
  • OverlayFS has been enabled in the kernel build (can be disabled if undesired).
  • rfkill has been enabled in the kernel build (can be disabled if undesired).
  • Fremantle's file systems (NAND and eMMC) are now automatically mounted under /srv/fremantle (also configurable).

Eno-Desu 2015-07-30 12:57

So, we could have libgles at least up to Linux 3.14
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/RN_5_01_01_02
Enlightenment Illume does support that, doesn't it?

Ideas on how to integrate it might be found here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgi...aphics/libgles

wicket 2015-08-02 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eno-Desu (Post 1478296)
So, we could have libgles at least up to Linux 3.14
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/RN_5_01_01_02
Enlightenment Illume does support that, doesn't it?

Ideas on how to integrate it might be found here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgi...aphics/libgles

Thanks. I found the TI drivers a few weeks ago and started to look into integrating them but I've had to put in on the back burner again. :/

Here's the complete set:

http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/gfxsdk/

It's worth noting that there aren't any softfp drivers for the last couple of versions. The last softfp release was 5.01.00.01.