maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] BackupMenu - OS backup & restore | New version - Jul 9th(v1.1) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63975)

RobbieThe1st 2010-10-30 10:51

Re: [Testers needed] BackupMenu V2 - OS backup & restore

Ok, uploaded my current source to extras-devel.

ndi 2010-10-30 11:55

Frankly, with all the backups and restores, I could have inadvertantly reverted to 26 from 26-2 by mistake. Don't think so, but it's possible. Questions:

a) The version from -devel is 26-2?
b) If I need to revert to 22 from 26, do I need to go through the whole procedure in post 1, or can I simply unpack the tar and maybe CHMOD?
c) Would it make sense to back up to a folder on SD, say /media/mmc1/BackupMenu or similar? Right now all the .tar files are listed and I can't use folders to archive old backups.
d) Would it be possible, if renaming isn't available, to only list *root*.tar when restoring root and so on? It seems too easy to restore an opt to a root or the other way around. Never tried, though.

stevomanu 2010-10-30 19:34

can any body confirm if this is working on PR1.3 the default back up manager is so so pants !!

jsbigs 2010-10-31 00:25

I'm having some problems now that I have upgraded to PR 1.3. Here's my sequence of events:

Under PR 1.2:

- followed install instructions that appeared on page 1 of this thread that involved using terminal and unpacking the backupmenu-20101022.tar.gz file (these instructions no longer appear on page 1)
- install and backup went fine
- subsequent backup failed as N900 would only boot into Maemo
- turned out for some reason I needed to re-install bootmenu-n900 (would only work via terminal not App Manager). After this, 2nd backup went fine
- updated to PR 1.3

Under PR 1.3

- backup of both Rootfs and Optfs got hung up on the Rootfs backup with the following error that appeared after 10 seconds:

./var/tmp/qcop-server-0: socket ignored

The size of the backup increased to 281.2M at 45 sec and nothing would happen after this, other than the time on the timer increasing. Tried a second time with the same results.

- Under App Manager, I then installed from extras-devel BackupMenu ver. 0.32-1
- tried another backup of both Rootfs and Optfs with the same error and same result as above

Any clue as to why this is happening or what can be done?

Thank you.

RobbieThe1st 2010-10-31 07:02

@ndi:
a. Yes - its more like 26-2 than anything. I must remind you, though, that the difference between these versions is miniscule - a couple bugfixes or extra functionality added at most. In this case, v0.48-3 is the "26-2" version with an added "special features" menu.

b. Yea, just extract the archive, and (possibly) chmod. Though, now with the .deb packages being available, all you have to do is download and do "dpkg -i backupmenu-version.deb" as root, or just use apt-get if you want the latest/current release.

c. I didn't provide a selectable place for the simple reason of ease - naming would add an extra chunk of code to the mix. Later, I might do so.
Currently though, you can move them to any sub-folder you want - backupmenu uses "find /location/ -name '*.tar'" to get it's list.

d. I'll do this when I take the time to really read the "find" man-page and figure out a way to select both ".tar" and ".tar.gz" files. Probably very simple, I just haven't messed with it yet.

@stevomanu: It worked for me. Like all potentially dangerous software, make a standard backup before trying it. If it works once, it should -continue- to work.

@jsbigs: With PR1.2, no clue what happened. Maby something with bootmenu-n900 got corrupted? You got a bad block on your flash chip perhaps?

With PR1.3, I've seen this happen twice now. I'm guessing tar's getting "stuck" on something. As such, I'm excluding the "/tmp" and "/var/tmp" directory contents in the next version (V0.49) which should be appearing in the next hour, provided I can upload it to the build queue in a reasonable period of time.

Also, there shouldn't be any way to get v.32 through the app manager anymore, and it doesn't have any way to give that error.

edit: And now, we wait. V0.49-2's in the queue.

stevomanu 2010-10-31 09:54

will wait for new version an try that then !!
i take it , reinstalls all apps an there dep with out the internet ??

RobbieThe1st 2010-10-31 09:59

It takes a copy of the -entire- os -as it stands-. This means that all programs, config, settings, what-have-you are saved. This also means, however, that if you have a corrupt file or other problem -before- you back it up, you will have it -after- you restore that backup, too.

DrWilken 2010-10-31 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st (Post 858159)
d. I'll do this when I take the time to really read the "find" man-page and figure out a way to select both ".tar" and ".tar.gz" files. Probably very simple, I just haven't messed with it yet.

Use the -o (or) option to find... :)

Like this:
Code:

find . -name '*.tar' -print -o -name '*.tar.gz' -print

pali 2010-10-31 10:16

Hello,

few weeks ago I added some patches for backupmenu. See my bzr branch on LP:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pali/+junk/maemo_backupmenu

I added backupmenu entry for bootmenu-n900, so It is possible to boot backupmenu as other systems.

@RobbieThe1st: it is possible to merge my changes?

RobbieThe1st 2010-10-31 10:46

Yes and no. The current version is signifigantly different than the v0.32 that you were working on.

The code for the bootmenu-n900 launch code I -will- take, however.
It looks like I can just replace my current /etc/bootmenu-n900/backupmenu.item with:
Code:

ITEM_NAME="BackupMenu"
ITEM_ID="flash"
ITEM_LINUXRC="/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item"

If it works, I'll add it to the next upload.
Edit: Nope, it doesn't. I made sure "#!/bin/sh" was the first line in the above file, but it just hangs at "loading *file* from flash"

edit 2:
I'm not sure if the autobuilder took my script or not. It said it did, but it hasn't appeared in the build list yet and the server is SLOW. It may be down or caught in a loop or something.

stevomanu 2010-10-31 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st (Post 858245)
It takes a copy of the -entire- os -as it stands-. This means that all programs, config, settings, what-have-you are saved. This also means, however, that if you have a corrupt file or other problem -before- you back it up, you will have it -after- you restore that backup, too.

as far as i nkow all my files are good an no problems that i can see , any ways to check that you know off !

is the program in app manager yet !

joelteixeira 2010-10-31 11:49

It's working great and I came to say THANK YOU. It's a long time now I'm waiting for something like this (imaging/cloning/ghosting my N900).

ndi 2010-10-31 12:04

At c), i didn't mean allow user to select folder, I meant only searching a subfolder. If I want to arhive a backup, remove it from the menu, I have to move it off the card or kill the extension. It would be easier and neater if the backup path would include a folder, like osso backup dues, it uses /backup/

Thanks for the info and the upload. And, the version from the repos works fine (.48-3). Didn't restore yet, because it didn't break yet, but backups are consistent in size and structure.

Do you plan on pushing a known-good version to testing, so we can revert if the alpha -devel breaks for any reason? (I know the .deb is available on the forum).

ETA: I had a thought. If you are on Linux, could you make a bin with the PR1.3 and backupmenu embedded, so it can be used for easy recovery?

joelteixeira 2010-10-31 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndi (Post 858366)
At c), i didn't mean allow user to select folder, I meant only searching a subfolder. If I want to arhive a backup, remove it from the menu, I have to move it off the card or kill the extension. It would be easier and neater if the backup path would include a folder, like osso backup dues, it uses /backup/

Thanks for the info and the upload. And, the version from the repos works fine (.48-3). Didn't restore yet, because it didn't break yet, but backups are consistent in size and structure.

Do you plan on pushing a known-good version to testing, so we can revert if the alpha -devel breaks for any reason? (I know the .deb is available on the forum).

ETA: I had a thought. If you are on Linux, could you make a bin with the PR1.3 and backupmenu embedded, so it can be used for easy recovery?

Hi ndi,

When you say "make a bin", do you mean a file that could be restored with offical flasher? I know you are asking to the developer, I just want to understand better.

Thanks

ndi 2010-10-31 12:48

Yes. Once flashed, I need to install rootsh. That means wifi. That means keypass, link, download, install. After that, it was a matter of login to forum, recover the thread, download the tar, expand, copy, chmod. Then a restore.

Not a whole load of work, but for people developing or debugging a crash this takes hours in reiterations. A flased image would be helpful:

Pop kbd, hold U, flash. At end of flash, phone reboots, kbd still open. Choose restore. Done.

stevomanu 2010-10-31 13:17

[QUOTE=

edit: And now, we wait. V0.49-2's in the queue.[/QUOTE]

im still waiting for this version ¬¬

joelteixeira 2010-10-31 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevomanu (Post 858446)

If the only change in this new version is about the error concerning the file inside /tmp (socket) there is no hurry. Any file inside /tmp is not important anyway. You can just ignore this error and keep using 0.48 until 0.49 is released.

stevomanu 2010-10-31 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelteixeira (Post 858461)
If the only change in this new version is about the error concerning the file inside /tmp (socket) there is no hurry. Any file inside /tmp is not important anyway. You can just ignore this error and keep using 0.48 until 0.49 is released.

thanks but its my first time using this app so will wait for latist version should be up today im sure !

pali 2010-10-31 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st (Post 858286)
Yes and no. The current version is signifigantly different than the v0.32 that you were working on.

The code for the bootmenu-n900 launch code I -will- take, however.
It looks like I can just replace my current /etc/bootmenu-n900/backupmenu.item with:
Code:

ITEM_NAME="BackupMenu"
ITEM_ID="flash"
ITEM_LINUXRC="/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item"

If it works, I'll add it to the next upload.
Edit: Nope, it doesn't. I made sure "#!/bin/sh" was the first line in the above file, but it just hangs at "loading *file* from flash"

edit 2:
I'm not sure if the autobuilder took my script or not. It said it did, but it hasn't appeared in the build list yet and the server is SLOW. It may be down or caught in a loop or something.

sorry, ITEM_LINUXRC doesnt work in current bootmenu-n900. I have fixed version of bootmenu in bzr: https://code.launchpad.net/~pali/+junk/maemo_bootmenu

if fixed version of bootmenu will be in repository I write again...

joelteixeira 2010-10-31 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevomanu (Post 858464)
thanks but its my first time using this app so will wait for latist version should be up today im sure !

That's okay. But just to make it clear... the error is because one file inside /tmp. And the solution was remove all the unecessary /tmp folder from backup.

So both 0.48 and 0.49 will keep ignoring this file.

joelteixeira 2010-10-31 17:24

Robbie,

I dont know if the most of user think the same but, for me, would be even better if the timestamp of the resulting file shows the hour and minutes.

I love to try new apps and when doing this, I can make various backups in the same day. Without hour and minutes, the backups is replaced with the new one.

I managed to get this editing the date variable from %Y%m%d to %Y%m%d%H%M%.

fab 2010-10-31 18:21

Hello.
I'm still stuck with PR1.3 and v048-3. After the message about dmssock in /tmp the tar gets to a size of around 275 Mb for rootfs in about 60 seconds, and then no changes. I tried to wait for 2000 seconds with no luck.

I'm ok to try some changes in the script, so don't hesitate to ask.

stevomanu 2010-10-31 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelteixeira (Post 858700)
Robbie,

I dont know if the most of user think the same but, for me, would be even better if the timestamp of the resulting file shows the hour and minutes.

I love to try new apps and when doing this, I can make various backups in the same day. Without hour and minutes, the backups is replaced with the new one.

sounds like a good idea i must say dude !!

Mentalist Traceur 2010-10-31 19:19

Alright, so I've been looking around all the documentation I could find on the relevant subjects (and various relevant threads), for a few days now, and it's all rather convoluted and scattered.

So I figured I'd ask here: Is backup menu compatible with Multiboot? I want to eventually set up multiboot with powerkernel (whenever that gets patched for PR1.3), NITDroid and MeeGo. Having backupmenu would be great on top of that. As I understand it backupmenu installs bootmenu. Which near as I can tell is not the same thing as multiboot.

Is this correct? If I just install backupmenu from the repos, will I be able to just install multiboot over-that and have it override bootmenu? Vice-versa? If you don't know or don't feel like typing it out, is there some place where this is concisely answered you can link me to?

stevomanu 2010-10-31 20:10

well all backed up on PR1.3 with no errors , off out to halloween party now so will flash it then try an restore an post results hopefully all goes well !

happy halloween every one

Rob1n 2010-10-31 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur (Post 858805)
Alright, so I've been looking around all the documentation I could find on the relevant subjects (and various relevant threads), for a few days now, and it's all rather convoluted and scattered.

So I figured I'd ask here: Is backup menu compatible with Multiboot? I want to eventually set up multiboot with powerkernel (whenever that gets patched for PR1.3), NITDroid and MeeGo. Having backupmenu would be great on top of that. As I understand it backupmenu installs bootmenu. Which near as I can tell is not the same thing as multiboot.

Is this correct? If I just install backupmenu from the repos, will I be able to just install multiboot over-that and have it override bootmenu? Vice-versa? If you don't know or don't feel like typing it out, is there some place where this is concisely answered you can link me to?

Backupmenu isn't compatible with multiboot out-of-the-box, though there's no real incompatibility between the two. Currently, there's some limitation with multiboot which prevent BackupMenu from working, and the BackupMenu package currently relies on bootmenu (which definitely isn't compatible with multiboot). From the looks of it, Pali has some updates to multiboot which fix things one way, I've also posted some patches here which fix multiboot another way. Either of those solutions will allow BackupMenu to work with multiboot (I'm running the two here without any issues).

jsbigs 2010-10-31 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1n (Post 844077)
I've actually just got that working this morning.

I've made a patch with the changes required for multiboot (against 0.2.10 rather than 0.2.5, so may need some adjustments). It adds a new ITEM_SCRIPT parameter for the .item files, and stops the multiboot script from unmounting all the filesystems before running the script.

You also need to add a symlink for /bin/evkey in /usr/sbin (or edit the BackupMenu scripts to change the location). You can then add a multiboot entry with a ITEM_SCRIPT line pointing to the BackupMenu script.

Any chance you can write a step-by-step on how to do this for non-coders? I'm confident I could get this working too but not without the proper guidance. Thank you in advance!

Wichall 2010-10-31 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbigs (Post 858025)
I'm having some problems now that I have upgraded to PR 1.3. Here's my sequence of events:

Under PR 1.2:

- followed install instructions that appeared on page 1 of this thread that involved using terminal and unpacking the backupmenu-20101022.tar.gz file (these instructions no longer appear on page 1)
- install and backup went fine
- subsequent backup failed as N900 would only boot into Maemo
- turned out for some reason I needed to re-install bootmenu-n900 (would only work via terminal not App Manager). After this, 2nd backup went fine
- updated to PR 1.3

Under PR 1.3

- backup of both Rootfs and Optfs got hung up on the Rootfs backup with the following error that appeared after 10 seconds:

./var/tmp/qcop-server-0: socket ignored

The size of the backup increased to 281.2M at 45 sec and nothing would happen after this, other than the time on the timer increasing. Tried a second time with the same results.

- Under App Manager, I then installed from extras-devel BackupMenu ver. 0.32-1
- tried another backup of both Rootfs and Optfs with the same error and same result as above

Any clue as to why this is happening or what can be done?

Thank you.

Also getting this problem, was stuck on 253.4m, rm-rf'd /var/tmp/* and /tmp/*, now stuck on 253.5m, desperately need this working as am supposed to be sending my n900 off to be replaced...

Cheers Robbie :)

Edit: I don't get any error, it just hangs...

Wichall 2010-10-31 23:38

Update: Also does it when backing up only optfs...

ndi 2010-11-01 00:26

Quote:

I vote for changing current

YYYYMMDD-backup-optfs.tar

to

YYMMDD-HHMM-o.tar

It's easier to read and shorter. I see no reason to add "backup" or entire "rootfs/optfs" to the name.

Also, the new version still has the "procede" typo in the menus - should be "proceed".

And finally, tested backup and restore (I crashed it again). It's all on the level.

What is so different in other people's systems their /tmp breaks it?

Wichall 2010-11-01 02:06

Having big problems here, if you quit out when it hangs, it still creates a readable seemingly complete tar file so i thought i'd try restoring the rootfs.

Just sits there forever saying restoring and size:n/a (guessing this should read a size) and rebooting the phone obviously results in a bricked device.

Just reflashed pr1.3 fiasco and going to try and restore again and see what happens...

Wichall 2010-11-01 02:08

Still just getting size:n/a, going to leave this until morning and see what happens. Would greatly appreciate a fix on this soon so I can send my N900 off to be repaired (cracked screen) :).

ndi 2010-11-01 02:09

I have no feedback when restoring, I think it's a remnant of the old script. Just leave it finish.

On my device, it takes about 70 seconds for root and about 200 for opt.

joelteixeira 2010-11-01 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndi (Post 859109)
I vote for changing current

YYYYMMDD-backup-optfs.tar

to

YYMMDD-HHMM-o.tar

It's easier to read and shorter. I see no reason to add "backup" or entire "rootfs/optfs" to the name.

Also, the new version still has the "procede" typo in the menus - should be "proceed".

And finally, tested backup and restore (I crashed it again). It's all on the level.

What is so different in other people's systems their /tmp breaks it?

Buddy,

If you want to manually edit the files, you can get it this way:

Edit:
/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenu.item

Replace line 540 with:
date=`date +"%Y%m%d-%H%M"`

Replace line 643 with:
backupOptLocation="/tmp/mnt/sd/$date-o.tar"

and 645 with:
backupOptLocation="/tmp/mnt/mydocs/$date-o.tar"

Hope this help you.

joelteixeira 2010-11-01 05:22

Guys,

Just to report my first recover. As my first language is Portuguese, there are a lot of diacritical marks... I particularly hate this but well, I can't just convince the people here to stop using =]

The point is, I was playing around with the "/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51" file and guess what... My N900 stop booting. I had already did this some months ago and had to reflash it. Now, I used the recover from BackupMenu and everything back to normal.

Love you Robbie, I would even marry you if I wasn't already. ;D

RobbieThe1st 2010-11-01 09:06

Quote:

Done, in 0.50-1(if I can ever get it to you guys).
Quote:

Once I have one that works and people are happy with.
Quote:

Yea, I'll do that in a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevomanu (Post 858446)

So am I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pali (Post 858474)
sorry, ITEM_LINUXRC doesnt work in current bootmenu-n900. I have fixed version of bootmenu in bzr: https://code.launchpad.net/~pali/+junk/maemo_bootmenu

if fixed version of bootmenu will be in repository I write again...

Let me know when it's fixed and works.

Quote:

Robbie,

Added in 0.50-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wichall (Post 859034)
Also getting this problem, was stuck on 253.4m, rm-rf'd /var/tmp/* and /tmp/*, now stuck on 253.5m, desperately need this working as am supposed to be sending my n900 off to be replaced...
Cheers Robbie :)
Edit: I don't get any error, it just hangs...

I'd like you to try it with 0.50-1, as soon as I can get it up.

@others:
Thanks for the comments. I'm only one person here, and it's hard to do things when the damn repo's down. I'm trying to build a package myself, but it doesn't work quite right yet.

Tigerite 2010-11-01 09:22

You're doing a great job Robbie, and rest assured all your hard work is really appreciated. The repositories are playing up which isn't helping anyone..

stevomanu 2010-11-01 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st (Post 859357)
Done, in 0.50-1(if I can ever get it to you guys).

Once I have one that works and people are happy with.

Yea, I'll do that in a bit.

So am I.

Let me know when it's fixed and works.

Added in 0.50-1

I'd like you to try it with 0.50-1, as soon as I can get it up.

@others:
Thanks for the comments. I'm only one person here, and it's hard to do things when the damn repo's down. I'm trying to build a package myself, but it doesn't work quite right yet.

we know dude an your work is very much appreciated

Rob1n 2010-11-01 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbigs (Post 859002)
Any chance you can write a step-by-step on how to do this for non-coders? I'm confident I could get this working too but not without the proper guidance. Thank you in advance!

Sure. I'm assuming you've already got multiboot 0.2.10 installed here - if not, you'll need to look up the instructions for that elsewhere (the multiboot/NITDroid/power kernel threads).

Unfortunately the only implementations of patch appear to be in the SDK repository, so rather than using the diff, just grab the patched files and save them to the MyDocs directory.

Now overwrite the existing multiboot files with the new versions:
Code:

root
cd /sbin
tar -xzf /home/user/MyDocs/multiboot_patched.tar.gz
chmod 755 multiboot multiboot_read_item

That's the patched multiboot all done, so you now just need to create a new boot item. You'll need to create a file (either on the N900, or on a desktop/laptop then copied to the N900) containing:
Quote:

ITEM_NAME="BackupMenu"
ITEM_SCRIPT="/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item"
Move this file to /etc/multiboot.d/99-BackupMenu.item (you'll need to be root to do this).

Now when you reboot with the keyboard open, you'll get an option for BackupMenu. I think this'll work irrespective of which OS/kernel you've been booting with, but I've only tested it from the standard Maemo kernel so far.

EDIT: Missed a bit - you also need to symlink evkey (which handles key detection) to where backupmenu is expecting it:

Code:

root
ln -s /bin/evkey /usr/sbin/evkey

stevomanu 2010-11-01 09:41

right am i right i thinking , after phone is flashed install backup menu then i will be able to get my original backup going !!