maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan - V0.7.3 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86704)

Wallace 2013-01-19 16:11

Re: [Announce] Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan - V0.7.3

Have to admit this project has serious slownes issues....

zaidk9 2013-01-19 16:40

an update was coming
what happened???

juiceme 2013-08-14 05:44

Hi!

I just noticed that when somebody sends a SMS to me from a Nokia Lumia phone that contains any new-style emoticons the message processing will fail and the message is scrapped silently.

I assume the behaviour is similar to what happens with iPhone emoticons on a N9 with no "Emoji for Harmattan" installed ?
(I have never had this problem before as I know nobody who has an iPhone...)

This is what gets written to syslog when a message is received:

Code:

Aug 14 08:37:52 (2013) cellular: csd[653]: SMS-lib .648529> utils_tpdu_data_parse(): Error decoding TPDUs. Discarding message
So, my question is, does "Emoji for Harmattan" trap the utils_tpdu_data_parse() function or use a replacement that can decode the non-standard emoticons used by Windows devices?

juiceme 2013-08-19 06:11

[bump]

So has nobody else noticed that Harnattan does not handle the special characters from Lumia-originating SMS'es correctly?

I'd imagine that this is a bug that merits attention of Nokia even on an unsupported platform like Harmattan. To me this seems like an interoperability problem between the company's two own devices so that either WP or Harmattan is not handling SMS'es correctly. SMS is one of the core functionalities of mobile networks and should be guaranteed to work between any devices..

The worst thing about this bug is that the sender gets confirmation about the message delivery, but the receiver gets no indication whatsoever that she's received a message.

I would be happy even if the received SMS would be corrupted in such a way that at least part of it would be readable, giving the receiver at least a hint that somebody sent a message...

coderus 2013-08-19 06:16

i can suggest you contact with arcean, he can try to add fix to powerpack

PaVeN 2013-09-12 17:20

Can someone please help me get the harmoji 0.7.3 Font?

imaginaryenemy 2013-09-12 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1368119)
So has nobody else noticed that Harnattan does not handle the special characters from Lumia-originating SMS'es correctly?

My wife has a Lumia, and I have had no issues with receiving SMSs that contain emoticons and the like from her. Are their particular "special characters" you have noticed not working? I would like to check and see.

juiceme 2013-09-12 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1373906)
My wife has a Lumia, and I have had no issues with receiving SMSs that contain emoticons and the like from her. Are their particular "special characters" you have noticed not working? I would like to check and see.

Really?? that's strange as I have tested it several times. Even one of the special smileys/icons on a message will cause this behaviour on my device.

Have you got this "Emoji for Harmattan" installed, so is it fixing the problem for you, or do you have unmodified N9?

imaginaryenemy 2013-09-12 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1373939)
Have you got this "Emoji for Harmattan" installed, so is it fixing the problem for you, or do you have unmodified N9?

I do not have "Emoji for Harmattan" installed. She mostly sends hearts and smileys of different types- all coming through as images/icons.

juiceme 2013-09-13 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1373951)
I do not have "Emoji for Harmattan" installed. She mostly sends hearts and smileys of different types- all coming through as images/icons.

Well this is strange indeed then!

I'll have to check with another device to see where the problem lies then, if it actually is only my N9 that cannot handle the special characters.

juiceme 2013-09-13 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1373906)
My wife has a Lumia, and I have had no issues with receiving SMSs that contain emoticons and the like from her.

I'll make a quick guess now... :D
Your wife's lumia is WP7-something, not WP8 version, right?

I just tested this, in WP7 lumias you cannot create the extended-type smilies that WP8 can send. (there are no menus in SMS editor for them)

However, you CAN receive such SMS correctly in WP7 if sent from WP8 device. It will even display the smiley altough it is not displayed correctly.

Moreover, now that you have received such message in a WP7 device, you can furthe resend it, and guess what, if you forward it to N9 it will not show up at all, just like I thought it wouldn't. Only indication I ever got a message is the entry in syslog.

When you send that kind of SMS to an older Symbian device, it will receive the message and part ot fhe message containing normal characters will show up correctly, only the smiley characters are dispalyed as "squary non-characters"

TMavica 2013-09-13 07:10

Only we missed is colour emoji in notifications

juiceme 2013-09-13 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1373999)
Only we missed is colour emoji in notifications

So, can you receive the special emoticons from WP8 phones correctly?

TMavica 2013-09-13 07:29

I cant test. No wp phone and i hate wp
Lol

juiceme 2013-09-13 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1374004)
I cant test. No wp phone and i hate wp
Lol

Yes, I agree... However, I do feel this is a fairly important bug if:

1.) If the bug is real, and not just some failure in my device
2.) If it is something that is NOT self-correctable, with for example "Emoji for Harmattan"

That is why I'd like to know if other people have this bug, and if it indeed is correctable.
Unfortunately I cannot contact the OP, he is not receiving his email and has not visited the forum the last 3 months...

TMavica 2013-09-13 07:54

Yes
He seem not, he using wp now

TMavica 2013-09-13 07:57

Just contacted the author by whatsapp, he said if someone willing want to develop, he will open source for him

imaginaryenemy 2013-09-13 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1373998)
I'll make a quick guess now... :D
Your wife's lumia is WP7-something, not WP8 version, right?

Unfortunately, for your sake, it is a WP8 device. She actually had the Lumia 810 and now has the 925, which are both WP8, and their was no problem with either.

I wish I could help instead of just shooting down theories. My Mom has a WP8 Lumia also, but she isn't one for smileys. However, the next time I speak with her I will ask her to help test.

juiceme 2013-09-13 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1374051)
Unfortunately, for your sake, it is a WP8 device. She actually had the Lumia 810 and now has the 925, which are both WP8, and their was no problem with either.

I wish I could help instead of just shooting down theories. My Mom has a WP8 Lumia also, but she isn't one for smileys. However, the next time I speak with her I will ask her to help test.

Hmm okay, then I just have to try to reproduce this with another N9.
It seems it's just my device that is having this problem... :mad:

MFaroTusino 2013-11-16 23:11

AHOY!

Sorry for my absence from TMO - between my studies and various other endeavours, I have had time away from this amazing community.

I am back though, and as of Nov 22, I am off Uni for 3 months. This means I will not only FINISH Harmoji with full iOS6/7 Support, and FIX the ability to send Emoji in SMS, but I will try to fix the bug that sees SMS containing emoji not received by the N9. It will take a lot of work, and I don't guarantee that I can solve every issue, but I WILL try to do the best that I can.

Once I get everything done and set up, I will also fully open source it, as well as support any efforts made by another to extend my work.

-Michael

juiceme 2013-11-29 08:09

I can now confirm that receiving extended emoticons sent from a Lumia device works on Jolla device.
Even as it cannot display the emoticons correctly, it will not slently discard the SMS. :D

imaginaryenemy 2014-01-26 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFaroTusino (Post 1386984)
AHOY!

Sorry for my absence from TMO - between my studies and various other endeavours, I have had time away from this amazing community.

I am back though, and as of Nov 22, I am off Uni for 3 months. This means I will not only FINISH Harmoji with full iOS6/7 Support, and FIX the ability to send Emoji in SMS, but I will try to fix the bug that sees SMS containing emoji not received by the N9. It will take a lot of work, and I don't guarantee that I can solve every issue, but I WILL try to do the best that I can.

Once I get everything done and set up, I will also fully open source it, as well as support any efforts made by another to extend my work.

-Michael

How is this coming along?

Kroll 2014-04-08 19:41

I have the same question :)

nieldk 2014-08-15 18:49

1 Attachment(s)
Not too good sadly :(

nieldk 2014-08-15 19:23

Well, that Twit brought up attention to this issue once more, a good suggestion from MFaroTusino. We can try to look into how Jolla handles this and work our way to a (hopefully) working daempn/wrapper/replacement.
At least as MFaroTusino suggested to me, try to get a notification that such a message was recieved with info on sender

nemric 2014-08-21 08:45

Hi,

Just to confirm that I don't receive any SMS with smileys from winphone 8 (at least 2 persons who have lumia)
Just handle this problem yesterday ...

Don't know how to help ...