maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Fixing USB port, before and after it is to late. (All info in one Thread) (See POST #1) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920)

geneven 2012-03-07 12:46

Re: Fixing USB port, before and after it is to late. (All info in one Thread) (See POST #1)

The assumption is that everyone should immediately learn to solder and buy the correct equipment.

Estel 2012-03-07 16:04

Re: Fixing USB port, before and after it is to late. (All info in one Thread) (See POST #1)

The assumption is that You should keep back from posting, unless You really have something to say (worthy for others, I might add).
---

I could solder it, if 2-way shipping cost to Poland isn't overkill for You.

/Estel

SaintGermain 2012-03-08 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1175971)

Thanks for the offer.
However I have no confidence at all on the post office. Lost too many things already and n900 is becoming way too precious.

But maybe I'll visit Poland soon ? :)

geneven 2012-03-08 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1175971)
The assumption is that You should keep back from posting, unless You really have something to say (worthy for others, I might add).
---

/Estel

I'm sorry that you found my very brief comment so reprehensible that you thought it was worth posting a longer comment criticizing me for making it.

geneven 2012-03-08 03:40

And by the way: I made the comment hoping that someone would start a for-fee service preemptively fixing USB ports.

And also by the way -- the fix that I have recommended literally for years, using an external battey charger, should make the port problem much less frequent. After all, if you cut the use the port gets by 100, this should limit wear. I have had no signs of the port problem, presumably because I rarely use the port, though I have been using my N900 extensively every day for years.

Estel 2012-03-08 05:38

...And You've been answered literally for years, that using external charger permits usage of charging chip (not to mention keeping it constantly uncalibrated), so no real info on battery capacity, nor usable prediction of "how much power left".

Also, breaking port seems to be so random and device-dependent (some have very strong default port-to-shield connection, some almost non-existant), that "limiting" wear by charging externally seems more like wishful thinking, than real counter-measure.

Also, it's not an option for hostmode users. Not to mention, that Soldering port to shield is quite easy process, and if someone can't do that, it's still possible to use good 2-part epoxy, which should be achievable for literally everyone.

/Estel

dr_frost_dk 2012-03-08 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 1176289)
And by the way: I made the comment hoping that someone would start a for-fee service preemptively fixing USB ports.

And also by the way -- the fix that I have recommended literally for years, using an external battey charger, should make the port problem much less frequent. After all, if you cut the use the port gets by 100, this should limit wear. I have had no signs of the port problem, presumably because I rarely use the port, though I have been using my N900 extensively every day for years.

Gotta say, that was not what i was reading, i read you like "Don't waste your money or "warranty" getting soldering equipment or getting anybody to do it", maybe next time you should write a bit longer instead.

And on the battery "charge left" i have been charging my N900 via the external charge port that i made, and have been doing this for almost 2 years now, never having any problems.

geneven 2012-03-08 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk (Post 1176408)
Gotta say, that was not what i was reading, i read you like "Don't waste your money or "warranty" getting soldering equipment or getting anybody to do it", maybe next time you should write a bit longer instead.

Maybe you should read a bit longer before jumping to that conclusion. I have referred to you in writing as "a hero of this site" and would not dismiss anything you said so quickly.

I have suggested before, in writing, that someone start a preventive usb damage service, and unfortunately no one took up the idea.

But I bet that a poll would show that most users on this tech site are IGNORING your suggestion because they aren't comfortable with the soldering solution for some reason. (I haven't taken such a poll and am just guessing about its results.)

On another subject: Estel seems to be sceptical about my external charger idea, seemingly saying that the evidence isn't very consistent, in prose that I found rather garbled.

Some ideas don't really need much evidence. Let's do a brief thought-experiment: If no one EVER used their usb ports EVER, who thinks that just as many usb ports would be damaged? I guess that zero people think that.

Which is a pretty good indicator that anything that results in less usb port usage would probably result in less usb ports damaged.

The BEST solution for us girly-men who don't want to solder would be for someone to announce a reasonably priced commercial way to have someone else do it. (someone in the US for me!)

dr_frost_dk 2012-03-08 12:26

Yes not using the USB will of course prolong the life of it, even way beyond the device fails in some other way, burnt CPU etc..., and i would like for some of the "tech" guys to step up and offer this fix around the world.

so far i have no problem fixing this for my fellow maemo users in the Euro zone, this also apply for Estel, if i where located in the US i would gladly fix your N900.
Also the price for this should be low, it is very simple to do, i can do it in less then 1 hour, and i want our N900 to live on, still can't see anything that can replace it still, yes there are MUCH more powerful devices but without a open "full" linux they are useless to me.

Estel, what about i add to post #1 that users can contact me and you to get their N900 fixed inside EU.

It should be common knowledge that it is best to keep it inside "boarders" to avoid having to get in to a dispute with customs, a follow note should hopefully explain everything.

and sorry for the quick conclusion.

Estel 2012-03-08 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk (Post 1176479)
Estel, what about i add to post #1 that users can contact me and you to get their N900 fixed inside EU.

No problem for me, as far as usual warnings apply (i.e. that we're doing it in spare time, so no guarantee - We're fully convinced that soldering process is 100% safe, yet no guarantee of device usability after "operation" - everything on risk of user, including fail of postage services etc.)

/Estel

dr_frost_dk 2012-03-08 19:12

Added me and you Estel, pm me if anything is off

Anybody else with soldering skills, please sign up if you have the time, this fix is very easy to do and should MAX take 2 hours

krutznikov 2012-03-08 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintGermain (Post 1175864)
However I have no skills at all for that kind of operation.

Is there someone around Frankfurt-am-Main willing to help me on this one ?
I can provide the beer (after the surgical operation) ;-)

Thanks,

I'm too far, but I don't have any skill and I've done it. The only tricky part is to replace the flex connector (see the post #69), but you can't brake anything while doing it. Applying epoxy with a needle has nothing difficult. For the remainder, you just need the 2 screwdrivers... Look at the videos about N900 disassembly if that scares you.

strange1712 2012-03-09 05:04

Preventive soldiering or epoxy use is indeed Easy and doable for anyone with a little patience (and a couple of screwdivers, you can use a 'flat' one for the star shaped screws, I didn't have the star one)... the re-connection is very hard for somebody with little experience and/or lack of manual habilities (like me)... so... really, everybody should think about doing preventive, it's better and ectremely easier to prevent than try to fix this...

Loz 2012-03-11 03:24

Ok... Ive checked out this link.. gonna go out tomorrow and buy a fine tip for my iron and a magnifiy glass... as its been a while since my usb port broke out my N900 this was not because it was yanked out... I just found it smoking one day... seems it had shorted. and burnt out the plastic inside the usb... this was unusable.. but the dam phone gliched a couple of days agoand now is stuck on nokia screen so have to flash it.. this is the only way or I def go down the Samsung S2 route. I have new usb ports so will attempt to remove sheild and fit wires to usb port and solder to mother board!!. wish me luck.!!

Loz.

Loz 2012-03-11 21:53

Well I think this is my last mail on the maemo site.. tried to do the fix for my usb.. and just no chance... this is micro electronics.. and although I know what I want to do my tools wouldnt let me.. So I have a N900 in very well looked after condition infact not one scratch on screen as I allway had pretectors on it..and not just any... Nokia brand... so how much is my brick worth now?offer me the right price and its yours.. Monday Ill be sporting a Galaxy S2. or mail me via my website www.vacrite.co.uk

Loz..

strange1712 2012-03-16 03:47

Ok, I'll comment I've had to re-soldier the cables to the connector a couple times now, this last time it was actually strange as connectivity seem ok, and it detected being charging but after a while it just said "Not charging" and that was all... I hope with the last re-soldiering it will live some more time, but I think this could be related to the removed component in my first attempt to repair.
The point is I guess My N900 won't actually last a lot from now on, and that makes me a little sad. F#c#k Nokia, If there was an actual replacement for N900 It wouldn't be so difficult to get something newer with Maemo (and keep with community)... but no choice so far.

rockey_rock5 2012-03-18 04:10

I think Nokia did gud with Nokia N8 .....

they gave the pin charging point and the usb one too

u can charge with the pin 1 and if need for data transfer and all stuff just use usb .... it will have less usb usage ...

jerjozwik 2012-03-27 14:38

le sigh... my usb fell out while i was traveling abroad near on a year ago. when it happened i could not believe it, then realized this forum had so many posts on the subject i though, "man if i only though to check out this forum" when i bought the phone. since then i have been using an external battery charger and letting the n900 steal my heart.

then i went and overclocked it... well... that generated a reboot loop. so i have a bricked phone now. all is not lost however, i know someone who is a bit crazy about modding electronics. he might be able to re-solder on the usb for me.

until then i have a "new" n900 coming from hong kong! first thing im gona do with it? solder down that blasted usb and grind down the cables! viva el n900!

strange1712 2012-03-29 01:40

Ok, I Think I will have to get a new one from wherever there are "New" or "semi"-New ones... Mine doesn't want to charge anymore... I've tested the USB Pins and everything's all right, so it must have finally damaged the battery charging circuit... I'm Sad...

supergaban 2012-03-29 03:25

DUH, eager to re-soldering my usb port, but I still don't have heart to deflowering my rover .

strange1712 2012-03-29 03:28

Believe me, "deflowering" your rover is the least of your concerns when your N900 is constantly between life and death... (I'm soo dramatic... :P )
"Do it, you won't regret.." ;)

supergaban 2012-03-29 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by strange1712 (Post 1185431)
Believe me, "deflowering" your rover is the least of your concerns when your N900 is constantly between life and death... (I'm soo dramatic... :P )
"Do it, you won't regret.." ;)

=================================
Okay, I'll convince myself that I could do it. because in a single day I use the USB many times. and I also doubt if It could stand for a long time :D

Estel 2012-03-29 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by strange1712 (Post 1185409)
Ok, I Think I will have to get a new one from wherever there are "New" or "semi"-New ones... Mine doesn't want to charge anymore... I've tested the USB Pins and everything's all right, so it must have finally damaged the battery charging circuit... I'm Sad...

Check, if charging works for You, when using testpads beneath the battery. Schematics are bundled somewhere in the forum (picture, showing which test pad is what).

/Estel

lameventanas 2012-04-03 11:35

3 Attachment(s)
Hello people,

I just bought a Nokia N900 (march 11th 2012), and after reading the forums for a while I decided to do the preventive USB soldering that Dr. Frost is recommending.
But after opening it, it looks like this is already being done for new phones.

See the pictures below, there is a solder drop on the right side, but none on the left side. Probably because the left side would require to cut some plastic.

I don't know if I should do some soldering on the left side as well, any recommendations? I don't feel so confident cutting the plastic, is it really needed?

dr_frost_dk 2012-04-03 11:43

The right side also has abit more solder then normally, maybe even enough to hold it down, so i would say it is up to you if you want to give it more, but i think that your N900 USB actually looks pretty strong vs stock/old N900 USB.

Good to see the pictures, much easier to get now :)

Hurrian 2012-04-03 11:52

Is that a stock, first-hand N900 with the warranty sticker etc still intact?

If so, that's one thing that I totally did not expect from Nokia.

lameventanas 2012-04-04 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurrian (Post 1187513)
Is that a stock, first-hand N900 with the warranty sticker etc still intact?

If so, that's one thing that I totally did not expect from Nokia.

I think so, but I bought it from an ebay seller in hong-kong.
The box is black cardboard with nokia written in silver and no stickers.
It came with a 32 page manual, a CD with chinese and latin letters printed on it, a 5v 1.2a charger that says Nokia, and headphones. No composite video/audio output cable though.

The software version was 21.x, which is kind of strange because the latest I could find in the website when I wanted to flash it was 20.x. I think I only got 21.x after installing the CSSU.

joerg_rw 2012-04-04 18:44

the soldering looks pretty bad (cold solder point at left side, mess on right). Also not Nokia original. I assume this is a refurbished device

My advice: remove excessive solder, scrape off green varnish, resolder both sides!
/j

misterc 2012-04-07 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerjozwik (Post 1184680)
le sigh... my usb fell out while i was traveling abroad near on a year ago. when it happened i could not believe it, then realized this forum had so many posts on the subject i though, "man if i only though to check out this forum" when i bought the phone. since then i have been using an external battery charger and letting the n900 steal my heart.

then i went and overclocked it... well... that generated a reboot loop. so i have a bricked phone now. all is not lost however, i know someone who is a bit crazy about modding electronics. he might be able to re-solder on the usb for me.

until then i have a "new" n900 coming from hong kong! first thing im gona do with it? solder down that blasted usb and grind down the cables! viva el n900!

¦-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...38&postcount=1

jerjozwik 2012-04-07 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lameventanas (Post 1187923)
I think so, but I bought it from an ebay seller in hong-kong.
The box is black cardboard with nokia written in silver and no stickers.
It came with a 32 page manual, a CD with chinese and latin letters...

i think we may have gotten phones from the same seller. though mine did not come with such soldered reinforcements. mine is 100% not new though. during my break down to do the solder reinforce i noticed that all the internal components looked very dirty and tinged. the case however was in good condition. except for the kickstand magnet which seems to have disappeared.

also came with an off brand battery. the keyboard leds and status led would not illuminate. i put in my original nokia battery and everything worked. strange...

AnasSyria 2012-04-07 18:14

hello guys

Since a couple of days ago, and after I downloaded KP50 ,I faced charging problem. Sometimes the charger starts charging after 20 seconds after I plug the charger in the device and sometimes it doesn't charge at all.
As I can see the usb port is still strong and not moving when I plug cable in it.
So I'm not sure but is this a typical usb problem that requires soldering to be solved??
or what the problem could be?
could it be the new KP that I downloaded?

And also when I try to connect the phone to the PC it start charging for 5 seconds and then it shows the notification "not charging" and the battery symbol in status area show that it's not charging the led also shows the same thing.
But the weird thing is that in status menu in the battery's bar there's written "charging"

Edit:
BTW the reason why I think it is a problem resulted from kernel power 50 is that when I try to charge my phone by connecting it to the PC- Motherboard's built-in USB ports it charges well.:confused:

geneven 2012-04-07 19:00

Weird things like that happening can be signs that the usb problem is at hand. They can start intermittently and mislead users as to the cause, till they get worse.

It is sensible to take action against the usb problem before it shuts down your N900 rather than afterward.

dr_frost_dk 2012-04-07 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 1189432)
Weird things like that happening can be signs that the usb problem is at hand. They can start intermittently and mislead users as to the cause, till they get worse.

It is sensible to take action against the usb problem before it shuts down your N900 rather than afterward.

Yes this is true, and almost true about everything with wires/mechanical stuff (Devices, engines etc....), for the most part you get these warnings, but the standard thing that people do is to ignore them as a glitch and then boom baby, your device fails...

So i would say the same as geneven, check it out to be sure, don't have to get you soldering iron, just open it up and preferentially look it over with a magnifying glass.

retsaw 2012-04-07 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnasSyria (Post 1189413)
And also when I try to connect the phone to the PC it start charging for 5 seconds and then it shows the notification "not charging" and the battery symbol in status area show that it's not charging the led also shows the same thing.
But the weird thing is that in status menu in the battery's bar there's written "charging"

Edit:
BTW the reason why I think it is a problem resulted from kernel power 50 is that when I try to charge my phone by connecting it to the PC- Motherboard's built-in USB ports it charges well.:confused:

You contradict yourself, does it or does it not charge well when connected to your PC?

In any case. the "Not charging" message is what you get when the N900 is using more power than the charger is supplying. Most (but not all) USB ports don't supply more than 500mA (@5V) and the N900 can easily use more than that in moderate to heavy use.

From what you describe, I'm not sure it is a problem with your N900s USB socket, but I wouldn't rule it out either, can you be sure it is not a problem with the cables or charger you are using?

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to reinforce the sides of the USB socket with solder before any problems arise, it is much easier doing it now than fixing it after it breaks.

AnasSyria 2012-04-08 01:06

@geneven, @dr_frost_dk

Thanks . Yes I should have soldered it before now . But I was just waiting to have the appropriate -smaller- tools as I still don't know how to remove the microsd softly/safely because Iast time I've put heavy pressure to remove it but I couldn't).

@retsaw

-Actually I meant that the USB ports that are directly compact with the motherboard give better quality power than those ports of the PC case's body (as you know the latter are not compact with MB's body but rather connected to it with wires).

-Regarding the cables and chargers, I'm pretty sure that they are in a good condition.

-Yes sometimes it shows notification that the phone using more power than what it's receiving.
(but evethough this problem happens in standby mode).

And this is the point that makes me consider the newly installed KP50 as a potential trigger for this problem:confused: as it could be using power excessively .
I tried to use maemo default kernel but the same problem happens?.:confused:

Could the battery be the weakest link?

sEKI 2012-04-13 21:37

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
This is my another internal mod and again based on dr_frost_dk idea so big thanks to him!
This has been done to my second n900 which is kind of guinea pig. No worries though it hasn't been hurt and is happy as never before! ;)

If you're into hi-res pictures these can be downloaded from here. There are 25 photos, so a few more than you can see below... :)

Hopefully someone will find it helpful. By the way I might be able to help less brave and able people in strengthening usb ports of their n900s. Usual terms and conditions apply. ;)

dr_frost_dk 2012-04-13 22:02

Nice one sEKI, i have added a link to your post in post #1

ammyt 2012-04-13 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk (Post 1189461)
Yes this is true, and almost true about everything with wires/mechanical stuff (Devices, engines etc....), for the most part you get these warnings, but the standard thing that people do is to ignore them as a glitch and then boom baby, your device fails...

So i would say the same as geneven, check it out to be sure, don't have to get you soldering iron, just open it up and preferentially look it over with a magnifying glass.

This basically means that I'm so gonna get fcked really hard in da butt. I dropped my N900 yesterday a distance of ~2m... while it was plugged to the charger. It fell off and was literally "hanged" by the charger cord, oh gosh such a scenery, reminded me of Braveheart :P

I can see that the port is certainly displaced a small distance downwards, the port is still working by all means although recently I have discovered that plugging the device into the charger does not work, I should re-do that at least twice until it starts charging.

Another one down, sadly though, I do not have the guts to open my N900 and solder it (had some pretty bad-as* experiences with similar operations on some mobos in the past...)

sEKI 2012-04-13 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk (Post 1191833)
Nice one sEKI, i have added a link to your post in post #1

Thanks, just learning from you... I'm honored to see my name in the first post. I can also cover USB strengthening in United Kingdom in my spare time if you're willing to add me to the list.

dr_frost_dk 2012-04-14 00:03

ammyt You could just start by opening it and see if there are any visible damage to to USB, sEKI has a nice picture guide to dismantle and fix USB, it is a few posts back (else linked in post #1)
It is pretty easy to take your N900 apart, and will give you a sense of where to go from there.

sEKI You have been added to the contact list in post #1, covering UK