maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   my modified n900 - "normal" usb port and solar panel (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90460)

TheoX 2013-06-23 20:06

Re: my modified n900 - "normal" usb port and solar panel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryu1 (Post 1354234)
I did nothing special, only some wiring.

P.S. Ai reusit sa faci ceva cu cele 2 n900 ale tale?

Salut, nu cred ca este frumos sa vorbim in romana aici, si ironia este ca si eu am scris aceasta prima fraza in romana.

To answer your question, no I didn't do anything yet. I just searched for a perfect device for me, bought one and now, having 2 permanently hardware damaged phones will make me search for a professional service that will take the 2 devices (ok, let's say 3 devices) and make proper repairs.

I would really like to fix the N900 with the broken SIM driver with the parts from the one with the broken usb port, and also fix a fried eMMC chip in a HTC Desire HD (that's how I bought it, because that guy stated that it was a sw problem now a hw one) by changing it (read on XDA that this opperation is possible and working with soldering knowledge, and a compatible memory chip). But first of all I have to find that service, with professionals in electronics... which, I don't think I'm going to find in my local area.

Right now I am having my exams, and I don't really have time to do nothing... P.S. I want to thank Estel and the other guys in my thread, because of you, I started really learning for those exams, and yes, I can really feel a difference in my level of perception of different stuff, and even find some solutions in some cases. Thank you!

ryu1 2013-06-23 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1354238)
waching the thread for long but didnt commented as i dont have an n900 to judge your feat as you know its easy to do that:) but extremly hard at least for me to fit it like that . You did !
Anyway i coudnt get anything intresting on the pic would have been better if there were macros of the disaster for me:)
also can you tell me what other things can be modified? M too much intrested . Can you check the power lines from battery and get a point where the flash leds can be connected . I would like a hardware switch for the flash when the device is off or shutdown due to low batt:p many more let my n900 clear the customs?? Dont know got stuck in courier due to battery sender says??
congo on your achivement:)

Interesting. Althought, you know there is an app called nTorch for flashlight, but that requies phone to be on.
Your idea is possible, you can pull some wires from battery terminals directly to the leds. But i don't know the exact voltage that those leds can take, so that could lead to burnout of leds, also diodes are requied for the current to not go into the motherboard from the leds circuit and you can hardly find space for them(that is why i only used the solar panel from the back for testing).

ryu1 2013-06-23 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheoX (Post 1354245)
Salut, nu cred ca este frumos sa vorbim in romana aici, si ironia este ca si eu am scris aceasta prima fraza in romana.

To answer your question, no I didn't do anything yet. I just searched for a perfect device for me, bought one and now, having 2 permanently hardware damaged phones will make me search for a professional service that will take the 2 devices (ok, let's say 3 devices) and make proper repairs.

I would really like to fix the N900 with the broken SIM driver with the parts from the one with the broken usb port, and also fix a fried eMMC chip in a HTC Desire HD (that's how I bought it, because that guy stated that it was a sw problem now a hw one) by changing it (read on XDA that this opperation is possible and working with soldering knowledge, and a compatible memory chip). But first of all I have to find that service, with professionals in electronics... which, I don't think I'm going to find in my local area.

Right now I am having my exams, and I don't really have time to do nothing... P.S. I want to thank Estel and the other guys in my thread, because of you, I started really learning for those exams, and yes, I can really feel a difference in my level of perception of different stuff, and even find some solutions in some cases. Thank you!

Theox, isn't more likely to fix the one with the broken usb port?

TheoX 2013-06-23 21:39

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryu1 (Post 1354270)
Theox, isn't more likely to fix the one with the broken usb port?

Not quite. the PCB is permanently fu*ked there, and also, the flex for the SD card is broken. So it's a permanently crippled device.

Here are some pics:

Attachment 32458

Attachment 32459

So, I don't know it it's worth to fix a busted motherboard. I saw on the internet BLANK motherboards for the N900, so someone can put all those parts back no, somehow...? I just need a replacing for a FEW parts :).

Also I have this device as I stated early:

Attachment 32456

And that's the most it can do, get on that screen and stay there. I also have access in the BOOTLOADER, meaning that the CPU and RAM is okay, BUT flashing doesn't do the trick. Even JTag flashing failed me giving me memory I/O errors. After your opinion, that is a broken/corrupted/fried eMMC chip no? Also for this phone found a compatible eMMC chip M4G2DE (ORIGINAL) Sandisk SDIN5C2-8G (NEW CHIP - PREPROGRAMMED)

Attachment 32460

But I will need a good technician to desolder the old one and solder back the new one.

Here is some more info if you can help me: http://www.parts4repair.com/htc-desi...hip-with-fsbl/ if you know some services or somebody that can replace that for me.

ryu1 2013-06-23 22:37

Oh, my. How did you manage to break that sd card ribbon? However if the phone does turn on it have a chance. It is possible to solder a new micro usb port, but not sure if anything can be done with the sd card slot (if i find the schematics i will send them to you).
About the htc, the easy part is to remove the old chip (can be done with any hot-air station), the hardest part is to solder the new one. It requie the stencil of the chip (don't think that is commercially available) and the tin balls (verry small balls, also not sure if available). The opperation is called reballing, that is what you need if you want to replace the gsm chip of your other n900. As far as i know the only reballing services available in our country are for xbox/ps3/laptop. AND i never trust those services. Last time i went to a service was with my nokia e90. All they have to do was to change the microphone (it is a soldered mic), but in the process they broke the ribbon cable. That was when i bought my hot-air station, and sweared i will never set foot in a service again :)

TheoX 2013-06-23 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryu1 (Post 1354283)
Oh, my. How did you manage to break that sd card ribbon? However if the phone does turn on it have a chance. It is possible to solder a new micro usb port, but not sure if anything can be done with the sd card slot (if i find the schematics i will send them to you).
About the htc, the easy part is to remove the old chip (can be done with any hot-air station), the hardest part is to solder the new one. It requie the stencil of the chip (don't think that is commercially available) and the tin balls (verry small balls, also not sure if available). The opperation is called reballing, that is what you need if you want to replace the gsm chip of your other n900. As far as i know the only reballing services available in our country are for xbox/ps3/laptop. AND i never trust those services. Last time i went to a service was with my nokia e90. All they have to do was to change the microphone (it is a soldered mic), but in the process they broke the ribbon cable. That was when i bought my hot-air station, and sweared i will never set foot in a service again :)

Well that ribbon broke because I was not paying attention, and broke it while trying to solder a new micro usb port (which cannot be made because the pins on the PCB were damaged.

As for the HTC I am asking because, a guy did it, he f*cking did it. And I love that phone... How exactly he did it IDK, but check the screenshot, can you see there is allready the new chip attached, so it's not that hard (and this guy did it @home). I am going to call on monday some services and ask them, and after, going to search for some computer services (that I heard they reball the vga cards) and ask them... 20 usd is not a big price to revive that phone... :) I am sorry to hear about the E90 phone, but i am happy there is no plastic left on the PCB after tearing it appart, everything is on detachable ribbons, so this can be an advantage :).

Let's hope for the best, because if I can attach the new memory on this phone, I can also try to repair the N900. :D

http://x-land.ro/ Here is a local service I found in my city. They have some experience in the back :) Should I give it a try with the HTC? (since is one chip) And then with the N900 (4 chips so 4 X the price)?

nokiabot 2013-06-24 04:46

Yup call those reballers they will do the job:) and on the n900 front your solution is best for your use case:)

ryu1 2013-06-24 10:23

theox, even if the pads are broken, you can still remake the circuit; look at this pic:

http://s12.postimg.org/jdl812idp/Untitled.png

But is that motherboard still turning on? or there is more damage than broken usb and sd slot?

As for the htc, i taked la look at that website, you should call them and ask if they can replace your chip and the price for that (if the price is more than half the price of the phone, it's not worth it).
You also should know that it may not be a problem of the emmc chip, you said that flashing Jtag gives you memory i/o errors; that can be caused by the phone not communicatting with the emmc becase of damaged circuits. Search if anyone else has this problem, just to be sure is the emmc and not something else.

TheoX 2013-06-24 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryu1 (Post 1354367)
theox, even if the pads are broken, you can still remake the circuit; look at this pic:

http://s12.postimg.org/jdl812idp/Untitled.png

But is that motherboard still turning on? or there is more damage than broken usb and sd slot?

As for the htc, i taked la look at that website, you should call them and ask if they can replace your chip and the price for that (if the price is more than half the price of the phone, it's not worth it).
You also should know that it may not be a problem of the emmc chip, you said that flashing Jtag gives you memory i/o errors; that can be caused by the phone not communicatting with the emmc becase of damaged circuits. Search if anyone else has this problem, just to be sure is the emmc and not something else.

Okay, first of all, a new micro usb port won't stay in place, I don't know why, but after soldering, it's very sensitive and won't stay in place. So no, I will better have a fresh reballed gsm chip...

As for the HTC, on that memory chip is also the Bootloader. Starting up the phone, opens up the bootloder, fastboot and sd flasher. But they just open up, and then you try to use them to really flash your phone, it gives you write errors. So I can read watever is left on that memory, but I can't write anything.

After checking other user experience, I saw that the memory is the problem, and replacing it solved the problem (the new chip is already programmed, so no further JTag-ing or USB Flashing / Formatiing is needed)

nokiabot 2013-06-24 16:55

Emmc would cost at most rs 600 to 900 :) just wait i will try to give you the exact figures:)