maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Let's talk Nokia stock! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56370)

Dave999 2010-06-16 16:56

Re: Lets talk Nokia stock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patroclo (Post 717789)
It's rather strange to see people who are happy about Nokia's financial problems.
If Nokia will close, then you cannot buy Nokia products any more.
Think about it...

I don't see so many ppl happy about nokia's fincial problems. But huge changes in stock value is always interesting. I look at it from the "buy stock and make money" point of view. Not if I can buy their phone or not. Boring but true :)

bugelrex 2010-06-16 17:03

Re: Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 717816)
OH NO MY N900 SUDDENLY BECAME TERRIBLE!

Seriously, put this in general or in offtopic.

This is relevant, if their profits decline more it more likely they scrap (layoff) all future development/fixes on the N900. If it becomes bad enough they may even scrap meego and give up on high-end altogether to save costs....

schettj 2010-06-16 17:05

Re: Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it

None of that has to do with the n900, of course. But yay, the sky is falling.

danramos 2010-06-16 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 717808)
Depends, do you like being forced into contracts and using pseudo-Java OSes? I know you bought an N1, but no one's selling non-user-hostile Android devices these days now that Google gave up.

I bought a Motorola Droid, btw, not an N1. And I bought primarily as my PHONE--not as a replacement for my N800, although I'm quickly finding it to be a very capable replacement for many of the things I had used the N800 for. I would have PREFERRED a suitable replacement for my N800 so that I don't use the DROID (not N1) for those things, but I don't understand your hostility argument seeing as how Nokia has provided a cellphone instead of a computer and then crippled the OS through its tivoization and utter lack of attention to community concerns with its OS's.

What contract did I get forced into that I wouldn't have gotten with a Nokia N900? Subsidization of the Motorola DROID (not N1) is optional, you know.. I didn't HAVE to have any contracts and I can still buy my way out of it. That's CHOICE. Plus, I get walk-in support through Verizon stores for the hardware--Something I rather liked.

ysss 2010-06-16 17:08

Is Nokia's position in low-end/mid-market any better than in high-end smartphone segment?

I'd think the competition from the far-eastern companies will be tougher than ever.

schettj 2010-06-16 17:10

Nokia Stock: good time to buy.

sjgadsby 2010-06-16 17:13

The thread "Nokia gives profit warning. Stock is tanking. They deserve it" with eight posts has been merged into this thread.

HellFlyer 2010-06-16 17:17

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by quipper8 (Post 717814)
here is a good read about their strategy

http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/Tec...hite_paper.pdf

Interesting document indeed

Here is what Nokia says about Maemo

Quote:

The Nokia N900, based on Maemo 5, is aimed at technology
enthusiasts
and offers the full Internet with
no comprise, the ability to multitask and a new user
interface including the panorama desktop. In all areas
we want to provide the industry leading experience, to
this end, we are including market leading experiences,
such as a Mozilla based browser, Microsoft Exchange
email integration, and our own Ovi services.

Maemo is an advanced Linux based computing platform.
It uses the standard Linux Kernel 2.6 - not a
proprietary mobile Linux kernel - and other standard
upstream open source components. In developing
Maemo, we have worked in and with leading open
source projects; in fact, over 80% of Maemo code is
comprised of upstream open source software
. What we
add is our expertise in user experience, user interface,
hardware and services integration.

Here is Symbian ^4 user interface

Symbian^4 will offer redesigned user experienceAttachment 11127

- simplified interaction with beautiful interface.

wmarone 2010-06-16 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 717837)
I bought a Motorola Droid, btw, not an N1. And I bought primarily as my PHONE--not as a replacement for my N800, although I'm quickly finding it to be a very capable replacement for many of the things I had used the N800 for.

Sorry, a DROID. Good to hear it's working out for you.

Quote:

I don't understand your hostility argument
To gain control over the device to the extent that you can on the N900 (closed bits not withstanding) you must root the device. This usually involves finding an exploit, which will likely be patched later. This is true for all Android devices save those sold by Google directly.

Quote:

crippled the OS through its tivoization and utter lack of attention to community concerns with its OS's.
Well, "tivoization" describes Motorola's bent with every non-DROID phone they've released. TrustZone checking signed bootloaders checking signed kernels which check signed filesystems. Even with the difficulties that are present with the N900, it's nowhere near tivoized.

And IIRC, in ignoring community concerns I hardly think Nokia is alone (I don't recall Android implementing any sort of open governance, for better or worse.)

danramos 2010-06-16 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 717852)
Sorry, a DROID. Good to hear it's working out for you.

To gain control over the device to the extent that you can on the N900 (closed bits not withstanding) you must root the device. This usually involves finding an exploit, which will likely be patched later. This is true for all Android devices save those sold by Google directly.

Well, "tivoization" describes Motorola's bent with every non-DROID phone they've released. TrustZone checking signed bootloaders checking signed kernels which check signed filesystems. Even with the difficulties that are present with the N900, it's nowhere near tivoized.

And IIRC, in ignoring community concerns I hardly think Nokia is alone (I don't recall Android implementing any sort of open governance, for better or worse.)

You're still not really arguing FOR the N900 and Nokia.. you're just arguing AGAINST Google's Android. :P So far I'm not impressed with your argument. Especially the part about how I have to root my phone to get the same level of control you get from the N900. I haven't yet rooted my DROID so far and I've already got Python, Perl and BASH working on it..and I've installed Bluetooth keyboard drivers and I regularly use it to ssh to remote servers.

I STILL don't get your argument.