maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Council] Referendum 2015 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95754)

wicket 2015-09-17 05:43

Re: [Council] Referendum 2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac (Post 1482620)
If you still think there's a flaw, please tell me via email.

Could we please avoid private emails? I think this discussion has public relevance.

nieldk 2015-09-17 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1482672)
That's funny, I voted "yes" for exactly the same reason. Maybe I missunderstood something. Now you got me worried.

I believe YOU got it right.
But, yes, that is concerning. More may have given vote they didnt intend...

endsormeans 2015-09-17 15:30

I am curious exactly where all the concern and worry is coming from...
Win7Mac spelled it out pretty clearly and succinctly..

"...in MC e.V., Council is not a legal entity, it's a committee. And their domain/responsibility/competence now is clearly defined as Representation of the community, Counseling of the Board and to execute all elections.So from my view, they aren't able to force other things (like TM renewal) since they're not entitled to...."

A committee whose purpose is to be the voice of the mcev ...
which is everybody who wishes to join... and be active and have their vote matter ...

[and before anyone jumps in with the same old story here..] mcev isn't a covert, secret society or old boys club...anyone can join...being a "poster" in the forum just doesn't cut it....attending meetings..listening to the issues does show a modicum of effort to be a force for positive change and growth....
.anyone on the planet can bitch and complain and grieve from the comfort of their easy chair whenever the mood pleases them...in the forum....
as well multiple accounts by a single person in forum can be made...making any voting done via "forum members" ..corrupt.....
Individuals desiring being members and retaining anonymity ..forget it...
I do believe we should have the right to safety and security from whatever unknown threat.....
so make the list of members real names only visible to one another...
and / or otherwise difficult or impossible for the general public to view...
But we cannot have total anonymity....even from one another....that is just pure madness...

chainsawbike 2015-09-17 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1482672)
That's funny, I voted "yes" for exactly the same reason. Maybe I missunderstood something. Now you got me worried.

the summary of my interpretation of yes vs no:

yes: limit the council to a list of sepcific tasks.

no: remove council completly from MCeV

i am saying YOU presonally should join MCeV if you want influence, not rely on a proxy "council"

so i see no need for the council, and therefore voted no.

Win7Mac 2015-09-18 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1482835)
A committee whose purpose is to be the voice of the mcev...

I need to correct here:
The voice of the MC eV are its regular members aka General Assembly (GA).
Council is the voice of the associated members aka Community.

Considering the fact that this is a very tiny (118 voters been absolute max. over the last years) and privacy-concerned community, we would want to make sure everybody interested finds his home here, I believe, since we can't afford to pick supporters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1482702)
...council is kept for historical reasons...

Tradition - yes, and sure it would be nice to have everybody involved convinced that becoming a regular member is the right thing to do, but thankfully noone can be forced... So Council as Community representation does have a purpose here. And since Council has no mandate to force anything besides elections, those liable (board) shall fear no harm from this committee.
Again: all real power comes from its' regular memebers (GA), were democracy defoils in our self-governed structure. Get a majority here and there'll be no limits to your initiatives. And if you don't want to unveil your identity to the board of directors (and only to them!), Council will be your addressee. Both has its 'right to exist' I guess. No problem. But yeah, the more people join MC eV, the less Council is needed... Someday the time may be right for ditching it, not sure community is ready yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1482761)
Could we please avoid private emails? I think this discussion has public relevance.

I don't mind. No response so far though.

endsormeans 2015-09-18 00:56

as per your edification ...even better..

nieldk 2015-09-18 04:40

It really is quite simple.

The board in the EV is the legal entity.
The board is elected by all members.
The "council" is all members
Members are all registered users
Users are all that submitted membership form
All members have a vote
Vote is given at the GA
Board must adhere to the vote result - except if it is not legal for whatever reason
Board members can disagree, if board allows illegal activity, each individual board member can have his disagreement noted, eventually may decide to resign from board as such.

The council that is / was doesn't really serve any purpose once the EV is complete. Until then, yes, it can assist all users as an organ towards board. But, this is only because not all (I guess few) users signed up to be members of the EV.

Of course, the board COULD have an advisory-board. Which COULD make a function for the council ;)

chainsawbike 2015-09-18 19:53

nieldk, not exactly..

legal entity is MCeV itself, the board and eveyone else who singed up to join are part of it.
( for clarity: MCeV board is elected by MCeV members
all MCeV members have a vote at GA )

the council is the elected representatives we just voted for.
(for clairty: their electorate is "garage members"
their role after the referendum results have been implemented is to council MCeV board and to do the limited tasks assigned to them. )

nieldk 2015-09-18 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsawbike (Post 1482960)
nieldk, not exactly..

legal entity is MCeV itself, the board and eveyone else who singed up to join are part of it.
( for clarity: MCeV board is elected by MCeV members
all MCeV members have a vote at GA )

the council is the elected representatives we just voted for.
(for clairty: their electorate is "garage members"
their role after the referendum results have been implemented is to council MCeV board and to do the limited tasks assigned to them. )

I believe that's what I (tried) to say.
But, you put it in so many fewer words nicely ;)

endsormeans 2015-09-18 20:49

Excellent ...cutting-through the crapese...
Clean ...crisp..clarity..
Love the concise-ity {it sure isn't a word...but it aught to be}
:D