maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   HTC Glacier - dual processors! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59784)

Milhouse 2010-08-06 14:27

Re: HTC Glacier - dual processors!

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 777756)
There is no such thing as a dual-Cortex A8, so whatever they did with Snapdragon (regarding dual-core) is their own stuff, not an A8 derivative (we have yet to see if it beats A9, which WAS designed from the bottom up for multicore operations).

The dual-core Snapdragon will not be faster than a standard Cortex-A9.

The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8. Even though Qualcomm have a dual-core Snapdragon it won't beat a Cortex-A9 at the same clock speed since the A9 is at least 20-25% faster clock-for-clock than a standard A8.

For reference, the Samsung Hummingbird is a Cortex-A8 that has been customised to perform certain binary functions using significantly less instructions than normal. Samsung estimates that 20% of the Hummingbird’s functions are affected, and of those, on average 25-50% less instructions are needed to complete each task. Overall, the processor can perform tasks 5-10% more quickly while handling the same 2 instructions per clock cycle as an unmodified ARM Cortex-A8 processor.

attila77 2010-08-06 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 777849)
The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8. Even though Qualcomm have a dual-core Snapdragon it won't beat a Cortex-A9 at the same clock speed since the A9 is at least 20-25% faster clock-for-clock than a standard A8.

...and that is why they a going after GHz (the dual-Snapdragons that will be pitted against A9 are 1.5GHz). When Intel tried that trick, they failed miserably, and one would think that in embedded a GHz-chase is a far worse idea than on desktops, so Qualcomm will have to do something quite revolutionary for their next gen or try to survive on a number-spin PR...

chowdahhead 2010-08-06 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 777849)
The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8.

It should have reduced clock efficiency with the added pipeline stages. The observed performance seems to support this.

rpjitendra 2012-12-18 20:00

i think this is right thread to post my question.
can i use my spare N900's RAM and/or CPU in my new N900
(double RAM dual CPU) ????
or atleast 32gb HD.

Half-Life_4_Life 2012-12-18 20:33

How are you gonna do that??

ffha 2012-12-18 21:03

No.
That's physically impossible, rpjitendra.

I request others who read this not to post in this thread and bump it up again with useless posts.