maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   MeeGo 1.0 hands-on at ArsTechnica (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54317)

gwax 2010-05-28 17:48

MeeGo 1.0 hands-on at ArsTechnica

ArsTechnica just posted a very nice hands-on with MeeGo 1.0 for netbooks: Hands-on: MeeGo for netbooks picks up where Moblin left off

fpp 2010-05-28 18:16

Re: MeeGo 1.0 hands-on at ArsTechnica

Also, the new Phoronix benchmark for netbook distros includes Meego 1.0, compared to recent releases of more established brands (UNR, Fedora etc.). Very impressive showing for an 1.0 release ! (especially for boot time)

edit:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._10_perf&num=1

Rauha 2010-05-28 19:20

Download from Meego site is slow as snail on wheelchair and the only torrent I found is even slower.

andrew_85 2010-05-28 19:39

wow very nice . .

ZShakespeare 2010-05-28 20:03

I especially like the part where meego doesn't provide any drivers or codecs. Good luck generating interest in your OS when it doesn't run properly on anything.

77h 2010-05-28 20:19

very useful thanks

eitama 2010-05-28 20:36

Don't know it it's been posted already : http://youtube.com/watch?v=MEcc98RbK3o

lancewex 2010-05-31 17:14

I have tested out 2 prior versions of Moblin before, and this "Meego" looks exactly like Moblin (with the exception of Chromium, which is new). Is Maemo really being used, or being swallowed?

sevla 2010-05-31 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 692104)
I have tested out 2 prior versions of Moblin before, and this "Meego" looks exactly like Moblin (with the exception of Chromium, which is new). Is Maemo really being used, or being swallowed?

Looks are not everything.. Meego uses Maemo's telephony stack as well as other internal components.

There is more to an OS then just the gui.

tissot 2010-05-31 17:47

Will Intel have it's own UX for phones or is Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo the only smartphone UX for MeeGo?

sevla 2010-05-31 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 692151)
Will Intel have it's own UX for phones or is Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo the only smartphone UX for MeeGo?

There will be a basic reference UI that, i'm guessing, is owned by Intel. There were screen shots released about a month ago. Nokia will have it's own Meego UI as well as any other manufacture that opts to use Meego on there device.

lancewex 2010-05-31 17:57

I assumed on the telephony stuff. But only assume. How do you know it uses it, and "other" things? I would really like to know more.

And no, the UI is not everything, but it's a lot for general users. And I don't see the Meego netbook UI being even close to adaptable for a 3.5 inch screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevla (Post 692145)
Meego uses Maemo's telephony stack as well as other internal components.

gerbick 2010-05-31 17:58

How would telephony be useful in a netbook?

WWAN/3G modem is one thing. But telephony?

tissot 2010-05-31 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevla (Post 692169)
There will be a basic reference UI that, i'm guessing, is owned by Intel. There were screen shots released about a month ago. Nokia will have it's own Meego UI as well as any other manufacture that opts to use Meego on there device.

The way i have understood is that Nokia's MeeGo will not have just different UI, but the middleware is different to Intels Meego too.

That's why Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo is not even MeeGo product, but instance fo MeeGo.

mrojas 2010-05-31 18:25

MeeGo is modular. That's the reason why the first releases consisted in kernels and the such. I bet Nokia has been already working on its own UX with older builds, it's the only way they will be on time to release a device this year.

GameboyRMH 2010-05-31 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 692173)
How would telephony be useful in a netbook?

WWAN/3G modem is one thing. But telephony?

I think you answered your own question...with so many netbooks and laptops coming with GSM/3G/4G adapters, it makes sense to support telephony functions.

Plus you'll probably see Meego on more tablets/MIDs/whatever, in addition to car PCs (BMW) which may have phones built in.

mobiledivide 2010-05-31 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 692170)
I assumed on the telephony stuff. But only assume. How do you know it uses it, and "other" things? I would really like to know more.

And no, the UI is not everything, but it's a lot for general users. And I don't see the Meego netbook UI being even close to adaptable for a 3.5 inch screen.

http://meego.com/sites/all/files/use...MeeGoArch1.png

A lot of the components below the UX layer are heavily contributed to by Nokia engineers and Nokia contractors.

sevla 2010-05-31 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 692170)

There is a different Handheld interface that will be used for, well, handhelds. Also, you don't have to assume anything. It's all documented and h as been discussed at length on this forum.

sevla 2010-05-31 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 692179)
The way i have understood is that Nokia's MeeGo will not have just different UI, but the middleware is different to Intels Meego too.

That's why Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo is not even MeeGo product, but instance fo MeeGo.

That's not how i understood it but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure both share the same code base.

lancewex 2010-06-01 00:18

Documentation is what I was after. And 'discussed in a forum' is not.
The chart offered above was helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevla (Post 692209)
Also, you don't have to assume anything. It's all documented and h as been discussed at length on this forum.

u2maemo 2010-06-01 00:40

Nokia have given their OS to Intel as a gift.
Intel is one step closer to mobile phone market.

As a user, hope there are Meego devices in the market which OS is user upgradable then it really will be a handhold computer.