maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63675)

fcrochik 2010-10-11 15:33

[Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client

Communi - 2.0.0

I just packaged Communi and uploaded it to extras.

I haven't done anything to the source code. Just created a package for it that later I will improve (add icon for the application manager, ... )

All the credit for the application goes to J-P Nurmi.

Some Screenshots:
http://maemo.crochik.com/_/rsrc/1286...011-112154.png

http://maemo.crochik.com/_/rsrc/1286...011-112446.png

Note: In order to create the package for communi I also packaged the libqtircclient-qt.

petur 2010-10-11 15:40

Re: [Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client

Quote:

Furthermore, Communi aims to maximize the the available screen size for the actual chat content. There are no fancy menu bars, tool bars, status bars or dock widgets eating up the available screen size, making Communi suitable for embedded devices even with relatively small screens.
Seems to need a bit more work in that regard :/
But, nice to see this, holds great potential.

Does it support sound/vibration on nick highlighting?

DrWilken 2010-10-11 16:33

It's missing a dependency:
Code:

N900:~$ communi
communi: error while loading shared libraries: libQtScript.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libqt4-script

jmk 2010-10-11 18:49

Really nice app and working very well. Except If the nick is on the use on the server you need to change it from server settings and there is no way to change it on the fly (/nick) and get connected. Didn't find yet any other "bugs".

DrWilken 2010-10-11 20:04

Would it be possible to disable Auto Caps (first letter)? :) Guess it's a Qt input option?

fcrochik 2010-10-14 14:29

I just uploaded a new version to extras-devel. Other than fixing the dependency problem the only change is that I disabled the auto-caps.

p.s. Now that I have fixed the libircclient-qt package I will probably create a "alternative" communi package to include my changes. J-P has done such a great job of keeping communi code cross-platform that I want to make sure one can always get the original code. At the same time, I want to experiment some of my ideas of how to improve the UI for the n900 w/o having to worry much about how it would work on the other platforms just yet.

AlMehdi 2010-10-18 12:44

This IRC-client was very nice. I would like to be able to see more of the chat window though.. so if you are going to add som changes... maybe add an ability to reduce size of text and ability to remove tabs.

DrWilken 2010-10-18 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 844088)
This IRC-client was very nice. I would like to be able to see more of the chat window though.. so if you are going to add som changes... maybe add an ability to reduce size of text and ability to remove tabs.

Look in Settings (menubar -> settings)... :)

You can select font, font size and scrollback buffer. But this is only for the text *inside* the tabs. Not for the tabs themselves... ;)

fcrochik 2010-10-18 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 844088)

I am right there with you...I am planning to create a separate project so I can try different things and leave the original code available on the communi project.

My ideas:
  • remove tabs on the left side
  • remove home screen
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu
  • remove the time stamp (setting)
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel.
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly
  • clear current view
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick"
  • list of channels on the server
  • save last channels between sessions

Ideas anyone else?

AlMehdi 2010-10-18 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 844153)
I am right there with you...I am planning to create a separate project so I can try different things and leave the original code available on the communi project.

My ideas:
  • remove tabs on the left side
  • remove home screen
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu
  • remove the time stamp (setting)
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel.
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly
  • clear current view
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick"
  • list of channels on the server

Ideas anyone else?

• remove tabs on the left side (like)
  • remove home screen (like)
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog (like)
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu (dislike) It's makes it very easy to switch and se if there is activity
  • remove the time stamp (setting) (dislike) Good to know when something is said
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel (like)
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel. (not sure)
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly (like)
  • clear current view (like)
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read (like)
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick" (like)
  • list of channels on the server (not sure)

stenny 2010-10-18 15:06

does this support ssl or server passwords?

fcrochik 2010-10-18 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by stenny (Post 844192)
does this support ssl or server passwords?

yes and yes

AlMehdi 2010-10-18 17:14

Ohh.. and a way to save last channels ;)

jpnurmi 2010-10-19 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 838476)
Does it support sound/vibration on nick highlighting?

Thanks for the idea, petur. I have added vibration (not configurable yet, though) support to Communi mainline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmk (Post 838626)
Except If the nick is on the use on the server you need to change it from server settings and there is no way to change it on the fly (/nick) and get connected.

This has been fixed to Communi mainline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrWilken (Post 838678)
Would it be possible to disable Auto Caps (first letter)? :) Guess it's a Qt input option?

Auto caps are now disabled in Communi mainline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 844280)
Ohh.. and a way to save last channels ;)

Thanks, I'll start working on this feature. I'm using an IRC bouncer myself so completely forgot this. ;)

fcrochik 2010-10-19 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnurmi (Post 845205)
Thanks for the idea, petur. I have added vibration (not configurable yet, though) support to Communi mainline.

This has been fixed to Communi mainline.

Auto caps are now disabled in Communi mainline.

Thanks, I'll start working on this feature. I'm using an IRC bouncer myself so completely forgot this. ;)

jpnurmi:
Glad to see you here!

Again, please feel free to let me know if you decide to take on packaging YOUR application yourself. I am just trying to help. It should be quite simple to publish a new package now. If you decide that you don't want to, just send me an e-mail anytime you feel is worth to "publish" a new version of communi for the n900.

I noticed that you have seem my post if some ideas for communi. Please feel free to comment on them and be assured that by no means I am suggesting/implying I know or can do better than you. Even more important I will be very glad if you decide to do anything with them. I have more than enough on my plate...

jpnurmi 2010-10-21 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrWilken (Post 838523)
It's missing a dependency:
libqt4-script

Oh and the addition of vibration upon nick highlight introduced a yet another dependency: libqt4-dbus.

Quote:

I am planning to create a separate project so I can try different things and leave the original code available on the communi project.

Where is your repo, btw? I can't see any fork on bitbucket at least. I'm more than willing to merge back good N900 usability improvements!

Some features that have been already implemented:
Quote:

• remove tabs on the left side I have added a menu settings to show/hide network tabs.
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... ) I have added a menu settings to show/hide channel tabs.
  • remove the time stamp (setting) I have added a general setting to enable/disable time stamps.
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly Vibra was added, indeed.
  • clear current view I have fixed the /clear command.

And commenting the rest...
Quote:

• save last channels between sessions I'm still looking for a decent way to implement this...
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog I like the idea but haven't worked on this yet.
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel I like the idea but haven't worked on this yet.
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read Not sure if I fully understand. Do you mean some kind of line indicator what was already seen when the channel/query was last active?
  • button to allow you to select "command" I'm already working on this.
  • list of channels on the server I like the idea but haven't worked on this yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 845217)
jpnurmi:
Glad to see you here!

Again, please feel free to let me know if you decide to take on packaging YOUR application yourself. I am just trying to help. It should be quite simple to publish a new package now. If you decide that you don't want to, just send me an e-mail anytime you feel is worth to "publish" a new version of communi for the n900.

I noticed that you have seem my post if some ideas for communi. Please feel free to comment on them and be assured that by no means I am suggesting/implying I know or can do better than you. Even more important I will be very glad if you decide to do anything with them. I have more than enough on my plate...

Thanks again for your efforts on packaging Communi & LibIrcClient-Qt! I'm looking forward adapting the packages sometime in the near future. Heh, and all kind of improvement ideas are by all means very welcome! I have already been implementing a few of them... So big thanks to everyone for your valuable comments! ;-)

fcrochik 2010-10-21 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnurmi (Post 847082)
Oh and the addition of vibration upon nick highlight introduced a yet another dependency: libqt4-dbus.

As soon as I get a chance I will create a new package. Is there a need to update libircclient-qt as well?

Quote:

Where is your repo, btw? I can't see any fork on bitbucket at least. I'm more than willing to merge back good N900 usability improvements!

I did not create any repository (and also haven't changed any code). You can get the code directly from the repository:
Code:

apt-get source communi
If you want I can point out the files I added.

Quote:

Some features that have been already implemented:

That is great! It seems that I won't have any reason to create my "hack" version :)

Quote:

And commenting the rest..

* save last channels between sessions I'm still looking for a decent way to implement this...

Not sure I see the need for anything more than just a QStringList with channel names associate to each connection.

Quote:

would like some easy way to track what I have already read Not sure if I fully understand. Do you mean some kind of line indicator what was already seen when the channel/query was last active?

I am very new to IRC so I may not use it the best way: I leave it open, try to get some work done and from time to time go back to it to check what is going on. There is no way for me to know what I have read already...

One idea would be to just draw a horizontal line when the window/tab looses focus so when I come back to the channel I just need to go back to the last horizontal line and start reading from there.... Probably would also make sense to disable the autoscroll when the tab doesn't have the focus. Just ideas...

Quote:

Thanks again for your efforts on packaging Communi & LibIrcClient-Qt! I'm looking forward adapting the packages sometime in the near future. Heh, and all kind of improvement ideas are by all means very welcome! I have already been implementing a few of them... So big thanks to everyone for your valuable comments! ;-)

I don't mind packaging it for you but would feel better if you got all the credit. Also, you will know better when to update the packages. At this point all that you need is to have an account to upload packages to extras-devel. I can let you know of all that I have to do get the packages ready for the autobuilder.

jmk 2010-10-27 13:28

Bug fix needed:

You cannot join !channels

For example if you want to join !channel @ Ircnet

/j !channel ---> communi joins to #!channel

pcfe 2010-10-27 21:03

which CA bundle will it use when connecting to a server?

Reason I ask is that I connect to an IRC proxy (bip) over SSL. That connection uses a certificate signed by an own CA, whose CA certificate has been imported to the Certificate manager, but I've had it in the past that ported apps had hardcoded paths for the CA bundle.

On the server side I get:
Code:

ERROR: Error in SSL handshake.
ERROR: Error on fd 52 (state 3)
ERROR: client read_lines error, closing...

While Communi shows Connected but does not react to /join command or show the backlog that bip replays automatically on connect.

fcrochik 2010-10-28 19:54

New Package uploaded

Haven't even tested it myself but I am sure J-P has some goodies for us.... J-P if you can please post to this thread with the changelog for this version (I downloaded the code few hours ago).

jmk 2010-10-28 20:43

Upgraded but quick launch icon diseappeared from desktop and menu and don't know how to start it now. Where is the bin /usr/bin?

edit: dpkg -L communi

There is no binary, only some readmes..

fcrochik 2010-10-28 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmk (Post 855834)
Upgraded but quick launch icon diseappeared from desktop and menu and don't know how to start it now. Where is the bin /usr/bin?

edit: dpkg -L communi

There is no binary, only some readmes..

The first package I uploaded didn't work. The last version should work (2.0.0.5).

jmk 2010-10-29 10:52

Thanks! The latest version is awesome. Except the default colors for notices etc.

AgogData 2010-10-29 11:14

to get that right its a chat application, right ?
and can we download it now or it is still in progress ?

jmk 2010-10-29 11:22

Communi is an lightweight IRC-client and fully working. You can download it from extras-devel I think.

Homepage: http://bitbucket.org/communi/communi/wiki/Home

fcrochik 2010-10-29 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgogData (Post 856419)
to get that right its a chat application, right ?
and can we download it now or it is still in progress ?

It is a working version and can be downloaded from extras-devel.

Yvnn 2010-11-10 07:29

I would like to be able to manage autoscroll. I find it very irritating when I want to select an icon on my desktop, but I'm not able because my desktop starts scrolling. I want to be able to enable/disable autoscroll for desktop and enable/disable for internet. Thanx!

AlMehdi 2010-11-18 00:21

I am missing an easy way of closing a tab.. like an "x" or something would be nice. Now i close it with "/close" but that is tiresome.. ;)

jmk 2010-11-18 00:38

Could you remove the ?-button (help or smth, cheatsheet) and instead add /help command to do the same thing.

honny 2011-08-31 18:52

Hi. I agree with "X" closing button. And, well, I have a problem.

When i try to connect to my BNC, it says "Invalid Password". And I'm pretty sure I have good passwd. It works in different clients. Hint, anyone? Thanks.

//EDIT: Aaagh, problem solved. My fault. http://wiki.znc.in/

I like this irc client, the others are... well, not so good for me.

lyluushalyluri 2014-11-22 09:09

Is the ignore commmand implemented,if so how to use it?

www.rzr.online.fr 2016-07-30 11:41

Is Communi n9 port still available ? where

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#Used_to_...able_somewhere