maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 7 / Leste (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   PINEPHONE “BraveHeart” - Maemo Leste install (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100948)

kinchan 2020-02-02 00:09

PINEPHONE “BraveHeart” - Maemo Leste install

I'm the new owner of a "brave hearth" pinephone :)
The "don't be evil" image does not match the hardware and seems to not work.

There is an image builder on the official github repository but I don't know how to do it.
Someone can give me some hints on how to compiling maemo leste for the pinephone? And if that's not possible, how can I help?

Wizzup_ 2020-02-02 07:48

Re: PINEPHONE “BraveHeart” - Maemo Leste install

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinchan (Post 1564969)

There is an image builder on the official github repository but I don't know how to do it.
Someone can give me some hints on how to compiling maemo leste for the pinephone? And if that's not possible, how can I help?

We're still working on the final image, we discovered a big in a recent change and the image doesn't build well right now. Give us one or two more days.

jellyroll 2020-02-02 20:39

Quote:

That website of yours is dope!

peterleinchen 2020-02-03 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyroll (Post 1564993)
That website of yours is dope!

Do you mean the omobile one? :D

pichlo 2020-02-03 10:14

Quote:

I had a nook in my living room that I wanted to convert into a hearth but was not brave enough.

kinchan 2020-02-08 19:39

For those who want to try, you can build "maemo leste" with the following commands as noted in the github repository

you need to install the following packages

Code:

curl git wget qemu-user-static build-essential rsync gcc-arm-none-eabi gcc-multilib lib32z1 u-boot-tools device-tree-compiler lzop dosfstools vboot-utils vboot-kernel-utils libftdi-dev libfdt-dev swig libpython-dev bc bison flex libssl-dev
then

Code:

git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/maemo-leste/image-builder.git
cd image-builder/arm-sdk
./init.sh    # only needed on first run
zsh -f
source sdk
load devuan DEVICE_NAME maemo
build_image_dist

replace DEVICE_NAME with your board name.
It seems that many board / devices are supported for build :
  • n900
  • n950
  • n9
  • droid4
  • odroidxu
  • odroidxu4
  • ouya
  • raspi1
  • raspi2
  • raspi3
  • rock64
  • pinephone-dontbeevil
  • sunxi
  • turbox-twister

of course I tried to build the image pinephone-dontbeevil but no surprise, the pinephone bravehearth doesn't boot.
Did I make a mistake somewhere?
Anyway, thanks to all the "maemo leste" team for your hard work!

Wizzup_ 2020-02-08 22:10

Parazyd and I are going to build another image on Sunday. There were a few minor things we had to fix, then we'll hopefully have our first public image for the PinePhone and PineTab.

kinchan 2020-02-09 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzup_ (Post 1565190)
Parazyd and I are going to build another image on Sunday. There were a few minor things we had to fix, then we'll hopefully have our first public image for the PinePhone and PineTab.

Wonderful! :D
Thank you!

canadien666 2020-02-17 14:34

That's great! Looking forward to testing out a Maemo Leste image ML on my Pinephone. Hoping one goes public soon. Thanks for all the effort!

Wizzup_ 2020-02-23 13:15

Image coming out today. :)

kinchan 2020-02-23 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzup_ (Post 1565626)

I can't wait :D:D:D

carlosgonz 2020-02-23 21:10

Seems the newer .img of Leste is out...
https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/pinephone/20200223/

kinchan 2020-02-24 00:05

it's a real pleasure to see maemo on the pinephone! :D
I made some tests, everything works except the wifi connection. Thanks you Wizzup_!

carlosgonz 2020-02-24 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinchan (Post 1565643)
it's a real pleasure to see maemo on the pinephone! :D
I made some tests, everything works except the wifi connection. Thanks you Wizzup_!

Yes Maemo 7 looks Amazing!!!. WLAN worked to me, I tested with a open wifi.

nonsuch 2020-03-01 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzup_ (Post 1565626)

I listened to LateNightLinux, they talked about all the alpha images available for the PinePhone, but Maemo Leste was not amongst them!
I dropped them a note.
Also on other podcasts/forums (Linux, Android-alternatives, Security) I noticed that people are not aware of Maemo Leste. I think it's time to give it more publicity!

buffer 2020-03-01 16:55

Hi, over at pine64 there's a thread discussing debian+phosh on the PinePhone Braveheart, which as of writing got a lot of views (about 5000). People will be excited for Debian/Devuan on the Pinephone, I believe, myself included. So I didn't know anything about the architecture of Maemo until I found out that it is based on Devuan!

I already let them know about Maemo, but someone should reach out to them: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9016

I think the Maemo ui is already excellent, but it seems like it would be fairly achievable to port phosh packages to debian-arm64 and have phosh be an optional desktop environment.

Hope more developers step forward, I'm so excited for Maemo on the PinePhone I might need to open up my schedule to learn how to port and build packages now...

buffer 2020-03-01 20:05

Should I tell people that feedback should go all in here and IRC? There is a section for Maemo in the pine64 forum that looks very empty.

Updated Maemo Leste entry on Pine64 wiki. Lifted feedback from an old edit so you can see it:

"A few remarks based on the 20200223 build:

Default virtual keyboard currently only works with gtk2 applications(not yet in gtk3 and qt, but this is coming)

Default virtual keyboard is set to off. You may want to go to setting and change that first for using the terminal. Click the top left corner->"Settings"->"Text input"->check the "Use virtual keyboard" option. You may also want to change the keyboard layout by changing the dictionary setting.

WiFi and terminal work.

Screen brightness adjustments in UI does not work. There is also a user reported when "brightness" UI setting is set to minimum (no visual change normally), the screen will stay black after reboot with WiFi set to ON with kill switch. However screen is normal after reboot if WiFi set to OFF with kill switch even minimum "brightness" UI setting. You may still change the screen brightness with command.
e.g. "xrandr --output DSI-1 --brightness 0.5"

There is rendering bug so default desktop orientation is landscape (xrandr -o right). Please note that if orientation is changed (e.g. with "xrandr -o normal") the ui will still be reading original key positions."

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9303

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9237

buffer 2020-03-03 00:08

I have updated the Wiki with instructions within this thread about how to build the images https://leste.maemo.org/Image_Builder

Next step would probably be to add this to the README.md on Github

nonsuch 2020-03-03 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffer (Post 1565822)
I didn't know anything about the architecture of Maemo until I found out that it is based on Devuan!

Maemo Leste is (currently) based on Devuan, not older versions of Maemo.
You should read up on the history of Maemo itself, and why a desktop environment & so many applications already exist.

Most people here probably hope for Maemo Leste to work on a phone that is running an older version of Maemo already. The Pinephone is a fairly recent addition to the list of supported devices.

Did you say you edited this page? I still don't see actual installation instructions there? Compare to the N900 page.

Anyhow, welcome to talk.maemo.org, buffer!

buffer 2020-03-04 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1565863)
Maemo Leste is (currently) based on Devuan, not older versions of Maemo.
You should read up on the history of Maemo itself, and why a desktop environment & so many applications already exist.

Most people here probably hope for Maemo Leste to work on a phone that is running an older version of Maemo already. The Pinephone is a fairly recent addition to the list of supported devices.

Did you say you edited this page? I still don't see actual installation instructions there? Compare to the N900 page.

Anyhow, welcome to talk.maemo.org, buffer!

Yes, PinePhone itself is a new device in testing stages and isn't shipped with a default OS yet.

I did my research, but it's fair to be precise. Old Maemo is based on Debian.

Updated with installation instructions. https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone#Installation

Build instructions are here: https://leste.maemo.org/Image_Builder

In other news, the sha256sum on the .xz image doesn't match its corresponding .sha file. Also, it would be helpful if it was named .sha256 so I wouldn't have to guess.

The sha256sum on the .tar.gz image does match.

And I dd'd the .tar.gz in the usual way, but it did not boot. Neither did untaring it work. What am I doing wrong?

kinchan 2020-03-07 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffer (Post 1565895)
Yes, PinePhone itself is a new device in testing stages and isn't shipped with a default OS yet.

I did my research, but it's fair to be precise. Old Maemo is based on Debian.

Updated with installation instructions. https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone#Installation

Build instructions are here: https://leste.maemo.org/Image_Builder

In other news, the sha256sum on the .xz image doesn't match its corresponding .sha file. Also, it would be helpful if it was named .sha256 so I wouldn't have to guess.

The sha256sum on the .tar.gz image does match.

And I dd'd the .tar.gz in the usual way, but it did not boot. Neither did untaring it work. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Buffer,

You must use this file with dd. And it will work :D

Bundyo 2020-03-07 12:02

I used the xz and it didn't boot for me too.

buffer 2020-03-07 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinchan (Post 1565987)
Hi Buffer,

You must use this file with dd. And it will work :D

As I said, the checksum did not match. So until that issue is fixed I won't use the file.

johnb543 2020-03-07 17:16

i am one of the few noobs that will buy this phone when available, to use with maemo leste... keep up the great work !!!

murak 2020-03-13 09:11

I just tried leste 1.0 pinephone last night and maemo leste extras does not work, missing public key. Is there a solution? Love the landscape orientation (just waiting for the keyboard)

Wizzup_ 2020-03-26 12:03

Maybe give the latest image a try.

biketool 2020-07-17 07:54

I just pulled the ripcord and ordered a pinephone, we will see about delivery times. Hope the COVID-19 & CN/US trade war doesn't hose me.
So I am going from a phone(N900) which I can make calls but cant surf anymore to one which I think I can't yet call but can definitely browse web.
I am looking forward to my hardware kill switches but still dreaming of my POCSAG intergrated pager module. Maybe I need to make a bluetooth pager interface; I still need to configure my amateur radio pager station for local area private paging.
Cant wait to drop Leste onto the phone. Is there hope for an aliendalvik for Leste in the near future?
(edit)
I am looking for a LineageOS(I can add microg) image to use on a bootable SD card for the pinephone If I need to use it as an emergency functional spare tire when using it as a daily driver phone.

preflex 2020-07-20 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketool (Post 1568317)
I just pulled the ripcord and ordered a pinephone, we will see about delivery times. Hope the COVID-19 & CN/US trade war doesn't hose me.

My pine is on the same boat.

Quote:

I am looking for a LineageOS(I can add microg) image to use on a bootable SD card for the pinephone If I need to use it as an emergency functional spare tire when using it as a daily driver phone.
I supersize with you, but I think you ought not. Meanwhile, Glodroid is out there, but it's not in good shape. I've also heard legends of the Pixel3 running Android on mainline kernel.

I suppose we'll see. I'd rather help get Anbox in shape than help Glodroid. But either way, I'm sure GreatGoogleyMoogley will find a way to screw us for our insolence.

preflex 2020-07-20 10:12

Also, having gone through the seven stages of systemd (and pulse) i've been coping okay with lennartware. Going back to old-fashioned init scripts will be a bit like going back in time, but I suppose the time masheen is the point of porting Fremantle to gtk3 and whatnot. I guess I'm really just in it for the X11 and familiar UI.

biketool 2020-07-20 12:05

Wow, walking it back from systemd!
Everyone hates it but so much of the stuff in Linux is now built around that, so much corporate FOSS contribs behind it.

I hope they put out a good case(I hear that they were giving them away if you had an order in at some FOSS convention). I always look for the most military grade bulletproof cover, I even found an otterbox for my N900 which is still old nokia-grade admantium. I also like to put on a second layer of glass protection on the front.
I am the kind of guy who wrecks phones and watches frequently.

cefre00 2020-07-25 22:37

This looks great, I have just flashed it, got some nostalgic feelings when I saw the well known wallpaper! :)

But I enabled the virtual keyboard it does not appear. What should I do to trigger it?

sicelo 2020-07-26 09:34

It should pop up automatically when you are focused on a text input field. Doesn't work for you?

cefre00 2020-07-26 21:22

Yes, it did pop up the second time I booted the OS. Thanks for reminding me the magical powers of...reboot! :D

So the first impressions, as I have the BH Pinephone since March.
Since I had the PP I had flashed many OSs, boy... way too many. Currently I have Mobian installed in the eMMC and I have Manjaro and Sailfish on SD cards.
I never liked android, the UI especially. It looks like a lame copy of iOS, right? :D And Phosh reminds me way too much on that, so I never liked Phosh that much. The devs behind these are really working hard and now we have camera working, etc.
BUT as soon as Maemo Leste would have a working package magament and a working GSM service I will dump those immediately.

I was always a Nokia, Symbian, Maemo, Meego, Sailfish kind of guy, so I can appreciate the familiar wallpapers, desktop layout, etc more. :) Can't wait to see Maemo work on PP.
Is there any way to follow the development a little closer? To see where are things at and what's coming next? Btw is the PP a goal to achieve for Maemo devs? :)

Swordfish II 2020-08-26 03:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnb543 (Post 1565995)
i am one of the few noobs that will buy this phone when available, to use with maemo leste... keep up the great work !!!

Been a long time since i posted here. I stopped when the n900 usability was basically none. Cameback for the neo900 which was a scam.

Cameback now from the pinephone forums and bought a pinephone now that it is likely a keyboard is coming relatively soon.

I loved maemo on the n900, that and the original pi got me into Linux in a big way, I had only tinkered with it before.

I would love to have a working maemo again.

Swordfish II 2020-08-26 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by preflex (Post 1568353)
Also, having gone through the seven stages of systemd (and pulse) i've been coping okay with lennartware.

F those. I remove pulse and use alsa on every system i have.

robthebold 2020-09-07 15:00

It appears that the Leste images do not boot from SD card on the PMOS edition of the pinephone, at least not on the convergence package version with 3GB of RAM.

This problem isn't unique to Leste: Plasma Mobile and UB Ports fires the LED camera flash once then only boot to the red light of nothingness. Leste doesn't appear to do anything (visible) at all. Talk in the pinephone forums seems to suggest that the image must be built specifically for the memory and storage configuration of the convergence edition.

:( I was really hoping to try this.

Budrz 2020-09-17 15:31

I also can't boot from a PMOS convergence pinephone. There isn't even an LED turning on.

I tried the dd command and Balena Etcher. Neither seem to work.

Wizzup_ 2020-09-17 19:02

Quick reply (been quite busy), I can try to take a look at this when I get home a few days from now. It is indeed very likely that we need a different DTS for a higher ram device.

Please poke me again in a few days from now (IRC is best, bugtracker also works, I read the focus occasionally), and then let's see if we can get this fixed ASAP.

robthebold 2020-09-18 02:34

Over at the Pine64 forums, a member has created a patched bootloader that works with the 3GB pinephone and bundles 13(!) distros, including SFOS in a multi-boot image. (If you want anything to work correctly or for very long, make sure to search the thread for how to expand the partition to the full size of your medium!) It will boot from the SD card, so you can impress your friends -- if you're allowed to see them face-to-face -- with a phone that runs almost all the Linux mobile OSs.

SFOS looks really nice, but I haven't yet found the right repo to add to see all the Jolla Store apps (hints anyone?). I have not tested Sailfish with a SIM yet to check mobile voice and data. Many things don't quite work yet (GPS :( ). Also, Sailfish is getting some good publicity from positive user experiences on that forum!

So far, I think the Ubuntu Touch distro is the closest thing to a daily driver, and even then it's not that close. But progress on several distros seems rapid, so watch this space if you're into multibooting your favorite non-mainstream mobile operating systems.

xman 2020-09-18 07:18

Dont forget that mobian seems to be working pretty well too.

x