maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   fcam & fcamera and HDRcapture Thread (Bugs, Ideas..etc) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58983)

maxximuscool 2010-07-22 22:37

fcam & fcamera and HDRcapture Thread (Bugs, Ideas..etc)

I've decided to make this thread to see how many people found any bugs with the fCamera app.

We can list it here and share our experienced with this cool new app.

Personally, I found something like this.

The screen flashing green when rotating.
I think this bug has been confirmed by the developer.

But if you have found any more please post it here.

===

I also would like to know how can i get HDR image with this app? I set it to HDR but the image captured is not muxed as one. All as separate files.

Also there is no Flash LED flash option at all. Camera sound is annoying lol. "Ding ding"!

Overall I like this app over the original camera, I can do so much more than the standard one. But there are still along way to go before it can replace the stock camera. :)

===

Keep the water pipe running !

rm53 2010-07-22 22:54

Re: fcamera Thread (Bugs, Ideas..etc)

for ready-made HDR, you need a different app from the FCam project, FCamera does not do this.

I found some minor problems: The month of the time stamp (used for naming the file) is incorrect (July is 06, should be 07).

As the raw files are really large (11MB) there should be an option to write only the JPEG formatted image in user-settable quality.

It should display appropriate warnings if the lens slider is closed before shooting, or not closed when terminating the app.

Behavior of the buttons on the right is a bit inconsistent, some update their shown A (automatic) value by itself, others only when pressing the camera button (like distance/focus).

Thank you FCam-team for that great app FCamera - can't wait for the other two apps to be pushed to Maemo Extras.

mikemorrison 2010-07-22 23:44

There is no EXIF data in the output jpeg files. :(

ericube 2010-07-22 23:46

Was a little bit excited when saw the news that we could shoot in RAW format on our N900. So did a wee bit test 2day, however, the results are so under expected.

I installed all the three apps, FCamera, Lowlight and HDRcapture. The FCamera shoots in DNG format, but when I preview the results in PS CS4 on my Mac, OMG, even much worse than the pictures taken by the default camera application. As I've got a really nice weather condition (good light condition) 2day in Glasgow, the results I tested is not accepted if Nokia calls this is 'something amazing'. All the pictures I took were in a very strange 'green' color, tried to modify them through Lightroom or CameraRaw on my Mac, it didn't help much to change the result.

I have to say, I love my N900, but the camera function is far behind my new iPhone4. iPhone4's camera result is amazing. So I used to think FCamera is the one that I can use to fight back, well, so far, it looks that I was wrong. Or maybe I missed sth about DNG format? Any pre-setup needs to be done before bringing them into PS or LR?

sophocha 2010-07-22 23:57

I keep deleting photos under the Fcamera folder and once I open the application up they keep appearing again, so now I have a bunch of old files that are corrupted.Anyone has this problem?

abadams 2010-07-23 00:04

We had a bad bug in our dng files we managed to introduce at the last minute that made everything cyan when viewed in photoshop. It's fixed and the update will be live soon. I think the green flash was fixed in our last update (this morning?). If not it will definitely be fixed in the next one - it's fixed in the version I have on my phone.

EXIF data in the jpegs is definitely on the todo list.

- Andrew (one of the fcam devs)

abadams 2010-07-23 00:14

sophocha - fcamera stores a .dng file and a .dng.thumb file (which is a thumbnail, so that fcamera doesn't have to load the whole dng file just to browse through the images). I just discovered if you delete the .thumb file in the file manager without also deleting the .dng file, fcamera gets a little confused and shows an error message for that file. Could this be what's happening?

maxximuscool 2010-07-23 03:17

When using the app, the battery draining really quickly. Is this a bug anyone else encounter?

lsolano 2010-07-23 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxximuscool (Post 761444)
The screen flashing green when rotating.
I think this bug has been confirmed by the developer.

This is happening to my n900.

maxximuscool 2010-07-23 04:16

Green Flashing when rotate has been fixed. Thanks to everyone help pointing it out earlier.

d-iivil 2010-07-23 10:07

My device went into reboot loop after installing fcamera + driver. Got it back by flashing the rootfs.

Edit: seems like it was because fapman allowed me to install fcamera with Titan's kernel installed.

pthomas22 2010-07-23 11:06

How do I view the dng files on a windows pc?
I have photoshop cs2 with the latest cameraraw plugin. It will open other dng files but not the ones produced by Fcam

HoX 2010-07-23 12:21

If I use the default photo app, when I open fcamera I can only see a gray photo and I have to reboot the device to use it.

toxaris 2010-07-23 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Iivil (Post 761970)
My device went into reboot loop after installing fcamera + driver. Got it back by flashing the rootfs.

Edit: seems like it was because fapman allowed me to install fcamera with Titan's kernel installed.

Is that bug fixed yet?

maxximuscool 2010-07-23 12:41

For now please avoid installing fCamera with Titan custom kernel.
fCamera is not compatible with Titan Kernel just yet. If you do install it then your device will be unstable or worst.

junionwoon 2010-07-23 12:41

is the conflict between titan and fcamera kernels fixed yet??

longing to try out fcamera....

sdstrowes 2010-07-23 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxximuscool (Post 761444)
I also would like to know how can i get HDR image with this app? I set it to HDR but the image captured is not muxed as one. All as separate files.

Try the hdrcapture app, which uses these libraries.

sdstrowes 2010-07-23 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm53 (Post 761464)
As the raw files are really large (11MB) there should be an option to write only the JPEG formatted image in user-settable quality.

Agree!

Saving RAW data is really cool, but I expect it's not a common use-case. I think that if the default behaviour were to save as JPEG (in a location the gallery will display it!), but with an option to also save as RAW, that the experience would be more immediately useful for users.

peynaud 2010-07-23 13:13

How do you enable the flash when taking photos please? I've tried everthing... Flash works with the main software but not with Fcam.

:confused:

titan 2010-07-23 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by junionwoon (Post 762133)
is the conflict between titan and fcamera kernels fixed yet??
longing to try out fcamera....

I have uploaded a fcam-drivers package for kernel-power
http://n900.tannerlab.com/kernel/fca....5-1_armel.deb
(install with dpkg -i as root ...)

Rocketman 2010-07-23 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdstrowes (Post 762144)
Agree!

Saving RAW data is really cool, but I expect it's not a common use-case. I think that if the default behaviour were to save as JPEG (in a location the gallery will display it!), but with an option to also save as RAW, that the experience would be more immediately useful for users.

I always shoot Raw + JPEG on my Nikon DSLRs. The RAWs give me much greater latitude for post-processing tom-foolery, but it is handy to have the JPEGs for immediate posting to web galleries, social networking sites, etc. It would be great if there were an option to shoot in RAW and then do background/idle creation of the associated JPEGs. What would be even handier is to have an option to background create multiple JPEGs at different resolutions / quality levels for immediate posting.

Rob1n 2010-07-23 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketman (Post 762377)
I always shoot Raw + JPEG on my Nikon DSLRs. The RAWs give me much greater latitude for post-processing tom-foolery, but it is handy to have the JPEGs for immediate posting to web galleries, social networking sites, etc. It would be great if there were an option to shoot in RAW and then do background/idle creation of the associated JPEGs. What would be even handier is to have an option to background create multiple JPEGs at different resolutions / quality levels for immediate posting.

There's already an option to save JPEG files as well - they get saved to the normal camera directory. Just drag down to get the config options, and its on the File Management tab.

stickymick 2010-07-23 18:13

First the bugs.

As posted in the other thread by Berserk and myself - The date stamp on images taken with fCamera is 1 month behind.

I've found the application freezes momentarily during operation, which can lead to a bit of demented tapping of the screen, until you realise what's going on.

Now to the ideas/wish list.
Would it be possible to implement a widescreen mode like on the default cam?

And maybe some lens effects, if possible.

janszoon 2010-07-24 20:15

Using the proximity sensor to make the controls appear would be awesome....that way you have a full screen display with you finger on the camera button. Then putting your thumb over the PS the would give you on screen controls. Please consider this all you smart coders.

rotoflex 2010-07-24 20:36

A "dragging the shutter" mode would be nice, if incorporation of the flash is not a problem.

I am also enjoying fcam on my N900; thanks fcam developers.

must4get 2010-07-25 05:22

FCamera is nice, Good work guys..
Please make sure you improve it and make a real good final app.

See some samples here. http://www.nokiatimes.com/2010/07/hd...-settings.html

I noticed that every time I use the built in Camera app I had to restart the phone to use FCamera.

gmuslera 2010-07-25 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by must4get (Post 763835)
I noticed that every time I use the built in Camera app I had to restart the phone to use FCamera.

Its that happening to everyone? even reflashed my n900 thinking that that was happening because something i installed in the past or something related.

maxximuscool 2010-07-25 07:32

This is quite weird, today I took the sunset photos to compare with my Camera but N900 picture turned out to be unbalanced in black and bad rendering. Never happened to me before. I think might be something to do with fcam-driver? Picture supposed to be amazingly breath taking but was ruined by the crappy contrast.

I think I'm going to try it again tomorrow after work and this time i'll use Automatic settings. :(

BluesLee 2010-07-25 08:28

when i open the camera lens the default camera app does
not shoot up anymore. this must be related to fcamera, hdcapture
or lowlight app. maybe bless900 which i had to deinstall for the
above apps.

can someone help out?

Blues

steph 2010-07-25 13:04

Hi guys, congrats on the beginnings of an app I know will go very, very far.

I did ask this in the Nokia announcement thread but it got drowned out, but would manual aperture control be possible? does the N900 even have a variable aperture or is exposure only controlled with sensitivity and shutter speed?

[edit]from looking at the exif from all my jpegs and a bit of googling it seems the aperture is fixed at f/2.8[/edit]

stickymick 2010-07-25 19:56

For some reason, since the last update, fCamera has been really thrashing my CPU.
Noticed this yesterday, after the update, when it was freezing momentarily during switching between screens and selecting options.

Decided to check "System Info Widget" today and the CPU was fluctuating between 70% & 100% while fCam was running in the background.

Anyone else seen this?

sponka 2010-07-25 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesLee (Post 763918)
when i open the camera lens the default camera app does
not shoot up anymore. this must be related to fcamera, hdcapture
or lowlight app. maybe bless900 which i had to deinstall for the
above apps.

can someone help out?

Blues

Hi! I had BlessN900 installed before. Removed without problems and since I'm using titan's kernel also installed titan's version of fcam driver.

I was playing with different options today and also took some pics with bundled camera app -- maybe I'm lucky, but I dont have any problems mentioned here - camera slider work OK (have set to start camera when slider opened, so I just quit default app and run fcamera), also, I tried to capture same motive with defult app and fcamera for comparison. As far I can tell, everything look as usual.

I didn't install lowlight, maybe is here the catch?

deter3 2010-07-25 20:48

I got the same problem that freezing when switching between screens .I did not overstock . So I uninstalled the apps and wait for the fix .

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 764458)
For some reason, since the last update, fCamera has been really thrashing my CPU.
Noticed this yesterday, after the update, when it was freezing momentarily during switching between screens and selecting options.

Decided to check "System Info Widget" today and the CPU was fluctuating between 70% & 100% while fCam was running in the background.

Anyone else seen this?

FarmerF 2010-07-26 07:27

Re: fcam & fcamera and HDRcapture Thread (Bugs, Ideas..etc)

a minor but confusing bug:
If you open the default camera app and switch to night modus and then close it and start fcam the display is completely gray (becomes green in hdr modus). To get the preview back you have to start the default app again and switch to auto mode.

Quality is generally quite well and with all the sliders you can make it that much better but the auto settings do not always give the ebst results (especially low light conditions).

--edit--

Another oddity I noticed, the raw images taken with fcam seem to be only 640x480 pixels, is that correct or did I miss a resolution setting somewhere? The corresponding saved jpg's are 2560X1944... If only I had known... Could have used the extra pixels http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=506

ewan 2010-07-26 22:29

Rather oddly the basic fcamera app is open source, but the Nokia built HDR and lowlight apps appear to be in non-free. That doesn't seem like a sensible decision for example apps.

joshua 2010-07-26 22:51

hmmm nice great app

FarmerF 2010-07-27 08:18

To expand a bit further on the above mentioned resolution problem:

The RAW images are around 10 mb which seems correct but in the gimp they take 2.9 mb memory which is odd. It almost seems as if the data is there but the file index is wrong (don't know the RAW format but I hope you can understand what I mean :))

Opening in UFRaw gives an error about not being able to use the camera white balance after which it hangs...

Also got some error about a TIFF directory something but can not reproduce it atm.

Lastly I'm still curious about other peoples resolution in the RAW images to know whether its just me or a general bug and will try with Photoshop later to see if that changes anything.

yogi900 2010-07-27 08:23

Great apps..!!!

Any idea how to make panorama photos with this?

FarmerF 2010-07-27 09:40

And the next part of this monologue :

The FCAM thing in a nutshell for non-developers seems to be the place to file bugs (go figure...) and the problems with dcraw are known and fixed in SVN.

Will check with Photoshop as stated earlier and perhaps everything will be fine then.

Switch_ 2010-07-27 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerF (Post 766177)
Will check with Photoshop as stated earlier and perhaps everything will be fine then.

Everything seems to work fine in Adobe CameraRAW 4.6 onwards, where Adobe included the *.dng extension that fcam works with. The only exception to this is that the picture metadata is incomplete and only contains (IIRC) ISO and...... Something else..... (!)

CameraRAW 4.6 is included in any Photoshop package from CS3 onwards, don't think CS2 had the RAW image capabilities. Also, the pixel dimensions are not 640 x 480 (307,200pix) as it is 2bytes per pixel, on a 5Mp CMOS, meaning approxiamtely 10,000bytes, leaving you with a 10Meg file. Include into this the remaining metadata etc and you are left with the correct filesize for the *.dng outputs from fcam.

Not sure why it is throwing up errors on the other programs you mention in your previous post but I always have (and probably always will) work(ed) in Photoshop....