maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition July 2019: Fungi (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100779)

saponga 2019-07-01 21:20

Camera phone competition July 2019: Fungi

The July theme will be fungi. But remember that mushrooms are only one group among the fungal lineage. So, get some read and be creative !

Rules are as usual :
Photos must be taken during this month (after theme is announced) and posted before voting starts
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used (and software if not stock)
Post processing is allowed but you have to say what you did
3 days voting period starts on July 28th at 20:00 UTC and ends on the evening of July 31st

catbus 2019-07-07 18:05

Re: Camera phone competition July 2019: Fungi

2 Attachment(s)
Hep

I give you first OT -pictures... Mother (or father, don't know, defenetly not me or my neighbour) and her "fungies". "Workname", you know... ;) - Had to do something "useful" while waiting...

fooxl 2019-07-08 10:25

1 Attachment(s)
Also offtopic and late:

This pattern of the broken main camera of my Xperia X (no fungi involved):

juiceme 2019-07-08 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooxl (Post 1558277)
Also offtopic and late:

This pattern of the broken main camera of my Xperia X (no funghis involved):

But not completely offtopic as it's a well-known fact that optics can be infested by lens-rot. Even lenses of the non-organic variety... :D

robthebold 2019-07-08 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1558283)
But not completely offtopic as it's a well-known fact that optics can be infested by lens-rot. Even lenses of the non-organic variety... :D

OMG! Just more evidence that nature is disgusting and wants to kill us.

juiceme 2019-07-08 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1558284)

Well think of it this way; pretty much anything complex that we manufacture contains huge amount of potential energy in chemical form. Clever lifeforms can tap into that potential and use it for their advantage.

pichlo 2019-07-08 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1558284)

"Disgusting" is a human concept. And quite a subjective one at that. My vegetarian daughter thinks a steak is disgusting. I think it's delicious.

"Wants to kill us" is personification. Whatever it is that is killing you did not wake up this morning thinking, "today I am going to kill robthebold". It woke up thinking, "I am hungry". Then it found some source of nourishment. That the nourishment was you is just a bad luck. The thing eating you never even noticed that it was causing anyone any discomfort, any more than you would if you found a doughnut just lying about.

catbus 2019-07-08 20:37

^

"doughnut"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20121205194537

Sorry, just had to...

pichlo 2019-07-11 09:22

2 Attachment(s)
Isn't it time we got back to the topic?

Here is my entry. Meet my friends Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The thing brewing in the demijohn (who the fsck made up the word 'carboy'? A car boy? Like the boy who ran in front of a car waving a red flag in the early 1900s?) is mead, an alcoholic beverage made by fermenting honey solution in water.

Photos taken yesterday, 10 July 2019, with Jolla. The first one is my entry, the second just to give you the context.

Note: Jolla is not exactly the best tool for taking macro photos. Especially not through the (dirty and uneven) demijohn glass.

Attachment 40598

Attachment 40601

nthn 2019-07-11 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1558326)
The thing brewing in the demijohn (who the fsck made up the word 'carboy'? A car boy? Like the boy who ran in front of a car waving a red flag in the early 1900s?)

To be fair, "half-toilet" isn't really an accurate description of a big bottle either. Nice mead, though! Speaking of mead, it's interesting how one half of the Indo-European speakers started using 'med' exclusively for honey, and the other half exclusively for the drink made of it.

juiceme 2019-07-11 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1558327)
To be fair, "half-toilet" isn't really an accurate description of a big bottle either. Nice mead, though! Speaking of mead, it's interesting how one half of the Indo-European speakers started using 'med' exclusively for honey, and the other half exclusively for the drink made of it.

And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process and hence we have "hunaja" for honey and "sima" for mead.

pichlo 2019-07-11 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1558330)
And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process [...]

Does that surprise you? Finns are not Indo-European speakers :D

robthebold 2019-07-11 16:00

Had a serious windstorm here yesterday. It didn't hit my block too hard*, and only knocked some dead wood out of my trees. I'd hoped to find some good fungus on the debris, but only a tiny, not very photogenic, wood ear and a little bit of lichen but not enough for a pretty picture. But I persist in looking for picture-worthy fungi in everywhere.

*Next block down, a very short walk away, had ~60 year old oak trees destroyed by a microburst. Yikes!

nthn 2019-07-11 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1558330)
And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process and hence we have "hunaja" for honey and "sima" for mead.

I looked up the etymology and as it turns out, not only 'hunaja', but also 'sima' is a loanword, both have Germanic roots! Crazy suomalaiset... (with all of those cases, how do you not have a vocative?)

catbus 2019-07-11 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1558341)
I looked up the etymology and as it turns out, not only 'hunaja', but also 'sima' is a loanword, both have Germanic roots! Crazy suomalaiset... (with all of those cases, how do you not have a vocative?)

I understand "hunaja" and honey as loanword but "sima" vs. what?

That is also true that "hullut suomalaiset" are crazy ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PwIcXDnK8c <- Tell's more than few words, also to Germans, of that ;)

Sorry OT, my Fungi-picture is nearly ready...

pichlo 2019-07-16 08:12

I see a lot of fun guys in this thread but not many fungi.

saponga 2019-07-16 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1558396)
I see a lot of fun guys in this thread but not many fungi.

As always ! LOL

Wikiwide 2019-07-17 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1558327)

Not exactly true. In Russian language, 'myod' is both honey (the most widespread meaning of the word) and alcoholic drink made of honey, water and juice (archaic, mostly remembered due to fairy tales; but I think our old USSR cookbook does contain a recipe for drink made out of honey and named with the same word; granted, there are many different recipes, and different names, for drinks made with addition of honey).

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

peterleinchen 2019-07-17 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by saponga (Post 1558401)
As always ! LOL

And here is both! ;)

Most probably not the best pic (was in a rush with hungry kids)
BUT definitely my most desired fung(h)i :D

https://m.imgur.com/a/PrB7rbe
https://i.imgur.com/FL3ivXw_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

https://m.imgur.com/a/PrB7rbe
Taken with Samsung A70 and some default Android picture editor post-processing wizard :rolleyes:

nthn 2019-07-18 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1558342)
I understand "hunaja" and honey as loanword but "sima" vs. what?

Something like '*saima-' (nectar/honey) in Proto-Germanic, which became 'Seim' (syrup, apparently fallen into disuse in favour of 'Sirup', which is actually an Arabic loanword) in High German, or 'zeem' (honey) in West-Flemish.

'*saima-' itself apparently comes from '*saigma-', which in turn would stem from PIE '*soikʷ-mó-', at which point you notice that Slavic 'sok' (juice) has the same origins.

That being said, if you look at etymologies long enough, you can prove anything.

tmi 2019-07-18 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1558427)
Something like '*saima-' (nectar/honey) in Proto-Germanic, which became 'Seim' (syrup, apparently fallen into disuse in favour of 'Sirup', which is actually an Arabic loanword) in High German, or 'zeem' (honey) in West-Flemish.

Regarding 'sima' ~ 'seim':
According to this decade old library Q&A webpage (a butchered Google translation) there supposedly isn't a connection.

( I tried to tweak the translation of the relevant paragraph to a bit more sane direction, caveat lector: )
Quote:

According to Häkkinen, in Finnish literary language "sima" was first mentioned in the proverbs of Henrik Florinus in 1702. In Karelian poetry its meaning is "mesi", while in Estonian dialects it means "plant juice, liquid, mucus, sweat". The Danish dialect word 'sime' ('drizzle, drip') is assumed to be of the same Germanic ancestry(?) as the Finnish word 'sima'. In German, there is also the word "Seim" for 'honey, a sticky liquid', but at least for the time being by using reconstructions it hasn't been found to connect to the word 'sima' in Finnish.
(I'm not sure if the quote above even makes much sense but it is something)

Yes yes, way OT and no photos... my apologies and all that jazz.

eson 2019-07-18 19:26

Is this fungi enough? It's a polypore I found on a dead tree. I have no idea what kind of bracket fungi it is but it looks nice and it's fairly common in the old Swedish forest where I live.
Sony Xperia X and Jolla stock photo app. Cropped with Pix.

https://svenskasprakfiler.se/show/20190718_152819.jpg

nthn 2019-07-18 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmi (Post 1558429)
Regarding 'sima' ~ 'seim':
According to this decade old library Q&A webpage (a butchered Google translation) there supposedly isn't a connection.

( I tried to tweak the translation of the relevant paragraph to a bit more sane direction, caveat lector: )

(I'm not sure if the quote above even makes much sense but it is something)

Yes yes, way OT and no photos... my apologies and all that jazz.

Thanks for that link! Although I still think the connection seems reasonable, as Finnish has many loanwords of PIE origin, and the fact that it also appears in Estonian and other Finnic languages (each time with a similar meaning) makes it quite likely that the word has belonged to Finnic/Finnish vocabulary for a long time. Of course, similarities between words (especially short ones) can also be purely coincidental, but still. Derivations don't always follow 'the rules', either, and commonly used words in particular are highly resistant to change.

I was doing a little more research, and now I found out that long ago, the PIE 'med' ended up in the Uralic tongues - it was lost in Finnish but continues to exist in Estonian, Hungarian and all of the smaller languages, all with the meaning of 'honey'. Our ancestors must have really, really liked their honey.

(I'll see if I can take a picture of some fungi to offset the whole discussion about honey.)

pichlo 2019-07-19 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by eson (Post 1558438)
...a dead three...

When Freddy Mercury was a young lad, he once picked up a rock and smashed a window. Before his mum managed to run out to stop him, he smahed another one. She shouted at him, "What are you doing? You have broken two windows!"
He replied, "But mum, I want to break three!"

nthn 2019-07-21 20:29

Maybe the winning pictures of each month's competition (unless they really don't fit) could be sent to neochapay, who's looking for wallpapers to add to Glacier:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=147

Fellfrosch 2019-07-22 17:31

I'm quite busy with my new job at the moment. So not to much input on TMO at the moment. Anyway, I'm still around and of course i don't want to miss this month's competition.

Here is my entry:
https://i.ibb.co/qnrHTX2/20190722-185733.jpg

pichlo 2019-07-23 06:59

Something is rotten with your picture, Fellfrosch :D What phone has it been taken with and when?

robthebold 2019-07-23 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1558501)
I'm quite busy with my new job at the moment. So not to much input on TMO at the moment. Anyway, I'm still around and of course i don't want to miss this month's competition.

Here is my entry:
https://i.ibb.co/qnrHTX2/20190722-185733.jpg

I hate it when that happens, but at least you could turn it into art! When life hands you mold, make strawberry lemonade.

Fellfrosch 2019-07-23 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1558504)
Something is rotten with your picture, Fellfrosch :D What phone has it been taken with and when?

Indeed. I've forgotten to tell more about the pic. It was taken yesterday evening with my Xperia X. Because of the rubbish focus on macro shots, I had to sharpen it afterwards a little bit with darktable.

Halftux 2019-07-23 17:56

Hmm now I know what a fellfrosch could be... it is not Kermit, because the picture looks like a red fellbeere = pelt-berry, seems like when they are fresh, that they get eaten by a pelt-frog. :)

Sorry couldn't resist. I like your name since I saw it the first time, makes me smile.
And good picture with the sunlight from the side.

Fellfrosch 2019-07-23 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1558526)
Hmm now I know what a fellfrosch could be... it is not Kermit, because the picture looks like a red fellbeere = pelt-berry, seems like when they are fresh, that they get eaten by a pelt-frog. :)

Sorry couldn't resist. I like your name since I saw it the first time, makes me smile.
And good picture with the sunlight from the side.

:D:D

Well I have to disappoint you. It wasn't the sun but two flashlights which illuminated the scenery.

catbus 2019-07-24 20:56

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, and here we go...

So fungi... This is not mushrooms -time in our forest yet and did not found those from my car, not even rust (whoah)... I did took one picture from my dad's knife, though he's already dead, and it was rusty on the handle... nice shadow but not usable, picture i mean...

But violence is forbidden and exercise is recommended, so I took a picture of my bicycle. It has not been used for years and it can be seen with many "fungi"...

Anyway, after taking the picture, we cycled with my wife about 20km, so it still works after i removed most of the "fungi"'s.

I hope I can walk tomorrow... ;)

robthebold 2019-07-25 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1558579)

Anyway, after taking the picture, we cycled with my wife about 20km, so it still works after i removed most of the "fungi"'s.

First time back in the saddle after a while? Good for you, keep it up! Some of the best photos I can't fit into monthly themes come along on bike rides. ;)

spfoo 2019-07-25 16:28

Finally found some fungi:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=19Gjqp...YVsRcNSJ3pzl2a

Nokia N9. Naturally, no additives.

catbus 2019-07-25 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by spfoo (Post 1558598)
Finally found some fungi:

So ... Fungi is kind of American Standard?

Sorry OT, too bad...

robthebold 2019-07-25 17:37

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a4129943_o.jpg

image20190723_181105823_v2

Had some nice light the other evening. I think the only fungus outside of sub-pixel size here the Penicillium roqueforti in the blue cheese. I'm sure there's yeasts etc. on the apple, and of course the wine is the work product of saccharomyces* cerevisiae among others. A few bias-cut slices of some long roll-shaped bread -- baguette, hoagie, ciabatta, something -- would have been nice thematically and artistically, but that's what I had.

The whimsical mouse-shaped cheese board was part of a care package gift from my grandmother way back in those bright college days. The whimsical cheese fork is a more recent boon. From my mom, IIRC. That would be her style.

*according to Wikipedia, the most economically significant fungus in the world!

OnePlus One, Ubuntu Touch (ubports) running stock camera. I could not get a single vertically oriented shot to focus on the subject of my choosing. Cropped, straightened and color balanced in digiKam editor.

Pentona 2019-07-26 22:05

https://i.lensdump.com/i/Wa8ChM.jpg

XA2 Sailfish X, unedited

robthebold 2019-07-27 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentona (Post 1558641)
https://i.lensdump.com/i/Wa8ChM.jpg

XA2 Sailfish X, unedited

Everybody, if you haven't viewed this full size you should! Amazing!

BTW, a spritz of water from a spray bottle really brings out back-lit spiderwebs.

Maemish 2019-07-28 14:17

Using my kids old iPhone 4 for this summer. I have a pic on it but jut Can't for some reason upload it here. Has the site and iPhone scanner?

Macros 2019-07-28 15:48

No fungi in the forest to be found, so these yummy ones have to do:

https://macros.nahfeldtelemetrie.de/...Schwammerl.jpg

Nokia N9, no edits