maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Mappero voice navigation: submit your voice, in your own language! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53845)

mardy 2010-05-26 15:39

Mappero voice navigation: submit your voice, in your own language!

Hi all!
Mappero 3.0+beta7, currently in extras-testing, supports turn-by-turn navigation with vocal announcements in the device user's language.
If there are no sound files for the language in use, then Mappero falls back to interlingua, an international language that you all should learn ;-) This is the "strange language" that I saw being mentioned in some threads here.

So, to help Mappero support your own language, follow these steps:
  1. Open the terminal, type "echo $LC_MESSAGES" and keep record of the output (it is a language/country code, for example for Italian it's it_IT)
  2. Record yourself while reading the following short sentences (you can install the sound recorder on the N900 too) translated into your language, with one second of silence between them:
    • turn right
    • turn left
    • turn slightly to the right
    • turn slightly to the left
    • take the first exit
    • take the second exit
    • take the third exit
    • continue straight
  3. write a post in this thread, specifying your language code and attaching the sound file.
  4. hope that people like it :-)
Who will decide which voice is worth being included in the next release of Mappero?

The users! I will periodically check this thread, and I will pick those posts which have been thanked the most.

Unfortunately it's not possible to have more than a single voice for a given language, so only one voice pack for will have to be chosen for each language.

zimon 2010-05-26 15:45

Re: Mappero voice navigation: submit your voice, in your own language!

Mappero still has an annoying serious bug. It sometimes brings N900 to zombie when "handling maps". Just had this last weekend again when trying to use it. Either it takes so much CPU-time, or then too much RSS-memory to make N900 swapping, that touch interface becomes inresponsive and often Mappero has to be forcefully quit from power-menu or whole N900 rebooted.

RafaLL92 2010-05-26 15:50

Does it need an internet connection to work (like map downloading etc)?

jlu 2010-05-26 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimon (Post 679810)
Mappero still has an annoying serious bug. It sometimes brings N900 to zombie when "handling maps". Just had this last weekend again when trying to use it. Either it takes so much CPU-time, or then too much RSS-memory to make N900 swapping, that touch interface becomes inresponsive and often Mappero has to be forcefully quit from power-menu or whole N900 rebooted.

Wasn't PR1.2 supposed to fix this?

resplendent2209 2010-05-26 16:01

Are there separate maps which user can download and then use them without internet?

This is what I am looking for.

canabal 2010-05-26 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by resplendent2209 (Post 679855)
Are there separate maps which user can download and then use them without internet?

agreed, can we use the ovi maps which I already have downloaded on my device?

mardy 2010-05-26 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlu (Post 679851)
Wasn't PR1.2 supposed to fix this?

It does.:)

mardy 2010-05-26 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by canabal (Post 680192)
agreed, can we use the ovi maps which I already have downloaded on my device?

No, those OVI maps cannot be used.:(

mardy 2010-05-26 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by resplendent2209 (Post 679855)

Yes, all maps supported by Mappero can be downloaded while at home. You can download maps for a certain area, or along one route.

resplendent2209 2010-05-26 18:03

Step by step instructions please?

h3llraz0r 2010-05-26 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by resplendent2209 (Post 680230)
Step by step instructions please?

You should know this.

Then the N900 doesn't belong to you!

resplendent2209 2010-05-26 18:17

Whatever! It does belong to me fortunately :D

I expected a much worse comment from you lol.

zimon 2010-05-26 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardy (Post 680207)
No, those OVI maps cannot be used.:(

What is the reason installed Ovi map-files cannot be used as a map source?

Is it impossible, or just noone has put effort to implement it?

Power 2010-05-26 18:31

Are there any voice navigation audio files currently included in the current version? (I am on en_GB Language BTW)

Also in Mappero Announce option, it says Voice Synthesis requires a filter. Is the filter included or there is something else we need to download?

MiK546 2010-05-26 19:12

Is there any way to download maps to Mappero like you can download maps to Navit (use a some kind of tool to select a part of map from PC (or select a country from a list and download its data like in Ovi Maps) and then transfer the map data to N900).

fixfox 2010-05-26 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardy (Post 679792)
Mappero 3.0+beta7, currently in extras-testing, supports turn-by-turn navigation with vocal announcements in the device user's language.

I enabled "voice synthesis" and replaced the interlingua *.spx files with english ones. What else do I need to do to test this feature?
Quote:

If there are no sound files for the language in use, then Mappero falls back to interlingua, an international language that you all should learn ;-)
I placed them in the location ........
Code:

/opt/maemo/usr/share/sounds/mapper/
over-writing the original *.spx files. My language is en_GB

What else do I need to check?

DrWilken 2010-05-26 22:09

Reaaaally tired right now. I'll give it a go tomorrow for da_DK... Don't think people wanna hear my rusty' sleepy voice over and over again... ;)

debernardis 2010-05-28 09:15

1 Attachment(s)
it_IT
I admit there might be better voices than mine :cool:

F2thaK 2010-05-28 09:34

this is odd, i try to get directoins to test the turn by turn but i get msg service not available? huh gps is on...... i even have wifi connection

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardy (Post 680210)
Yes, all maps supported by Mappero can be downloaded while at home. You can download maps for a certain area, or along one route.

where, how ??

xomm 2010-05-30 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 685097)
this is odd, i try to get directoins to test the turn by turn but i get msg service not available? huh gps is on...... i even have wifi connection

Google's servers are being iffy right now. Not quite sure why, but Mardy has said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mardy's Blog
@jespercheetah: Google relies on gnuite.com server, which lately is often unaccessible. Reittiopas works only in the Helsinki region, and Yandex in Moscow. I'm investigating other ways of getting the route, including cloudmade (but it's not a free service).

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 685097)
where, how ??

Application Menu (click on the bar at the top) > Maps > Manage Maps > Self-Explanatory from there.

jav_maemo 2010-06-03 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there!

I am not a native English speaker, but I recorded the vocal announcements for en_US anyway. If you can bear an accent, this might be of use until a native speaker can record this. :-)
I license this under "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported" (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Would be great if you drop me a message if you end up using this.

If I find some time, I might also do a recording for de_DE (German) which is my first language. Just to clarify how to translate this: In what cases would the announcement "turn slightly to the right" be used? Like a street going off in a 45 degree angle or something?

Regards!
Jan

mardy 2010-06-04 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 685065)
it_IT
I admit there might be better voices than mine :cool:

Hi Ernesto, thanks for your audio files!
There are just two problems:
1) The audio is a bit clicky/noisy (but this is not so important)
2) "slight turn right" doesn't mean to keep the right side, but actually to turn to the right (not 90°, probably less than 45°).

mardy 2010-06-04 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jav_maemo (Post 698530)
Hi there!

I am not a native English speaker, but I recorded the vocal announcements for en_US anyway. If you can bear an accent, this might be of use until a native speaker can record this. :-)
I license this under "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported" (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Would be great if you drop me a message if you end up using this.

I definitely will. :-)

Quote:

If I find some time, I might also do a recording for de_DE (German) which is my first language. Just to clarify how to translate this: In what cases would the announcement "turn slightly to the right" be used? Like a street going off in a 45 degree angle or something?
Exactly! I'm looking forward to the German version too :-)

DrWilken 2010-06-04 18:22

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my try on da_DK recorded on the N900 for authenticity... :)

Patroclo 2010-06-04 21:22

mappero requires flite in order to have the voice. Where should I look for this application?

JayBEE 2010-06-04 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patroclo (Post 700174)
mappero requires flite in order to have the voice. Where should I look for this application?

Read here for the options.

mardy 2010-06-04 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patroclo (Post 700174)

Actually it doesn't. It's a mistake in the text; the next version (3.0+beta8) will fix that and also make sure that the right codecs for decoding the sound files are installed.

ZogG 2010-06-04 22:27

What is the file format? i would liek to make russian translation (even knwo the girl to record) but it would be easier if i could just record separetly files, so i would like to know the names of files and file format i should use

eezo 2010-06-06 07:23

I'm going to try to use Mappero for a route I know later today. Hope everything turns out ok. :)

gnasgame3 2010-06-07 10:04

what codecs to use to decode the sound files.
when i double click the sound files, n900 default media player play the sound.
but mappero just show a ! mark over the volume bar at the bottom left corner.
just cant get the voice, pls help

xomm 2010-06-08 20:39

1 Attachment(s)
Fluent American English (en_US) speaker, Mid-Atlantic accent, aka flat.

YouTube preview (append &fmt-18 to get stereo, then choose 1080p, to make it bearable to watch... :P ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbOP6E6GDA

.gz Archive attached below.

DrWilken 2010-06-08 20:44

Sounds kinda pro xomm... ;)

DaSilva 2010-06-08 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jav_maemo (Post 698530)
Hi there!

Regards!
Jan

Yeah, a german version would be nice

@mardy: Will all the contributed sound files be added to the next version or has the user to download them separately?

maxximuscool 2010-06-08 21:11

Hey this is interesting :D

I'll make a Camboian version of this too then :D

vinsci 2010-06-10 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardy (Post 679792)
[*]Record yourself while reading the following short sentences (you can install the sound recorder on the N900 too) translated into your language, with one second of silence between them:
  • turn right
  • turn left
  • turn slightly to the right
  • turn slightly to the left
  • take the first exit
  • take the second exit
  • take the third exit
  • continue straight

Hmm, what about the fourth exit?

craftyguy 2010-06-10 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinsci (Post 708033)
Hmm, what about the fourth exit?

Wow, did your city employ monkeys to design that interchange?

vinsci 2010-06-10 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyguy (Post 708038)
Wow, did your city employ monkeys to design that interchange?

That seems somewhat unlikely. :)

After that post, I remembered this little beauty, where you could "take the 11th exit". It's one of the major roundabouts in Paris...

xomm 2010-06-10 01:57

Garr. my favorite roundabout in Viet Nam's not showing up in any map completely.

It's got 7 main streets coming off of it. :D

Speaking of Viet Nam, my Vietnamese translation (vi_VN) of the GPS directions should be done tomorrow. (I got exams this whole week...)

Edit: It seems I'm pretty incompetent with my own native language. Probably not going to be done for a while; it's near the bottom on my to-do list... :rolleyes:

vinsci 2010-06-10 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinsci (Post 708041)
After that post, I remembered this little beauty, where you could "take the 11th exit". It's one of the major roundabouts in Paris...

The Google router isn't very helpful there, actually. It doesn't give you a count, but instead provides the street name to turn to, as if it was possible to see the street name signs from the roundabout. Note the convenient lack of lanes in the roundabout ;) -- rush hour is "interesting" here.

Stamm 2010-06-10 21:13

I just tested the voice indications and it's great. I don't know interlingua but I kinda guessed what it was saying... ;-)

There's one small problem, though. Even with the volume maxed out, it's not very loud in the car. Is there a way to increase the volume?