maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tablet love at Darla Mack (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17225)

RogerS 2008-02-26 20:02

Tablet love at Darla Mack

Quote:

Saying goodbye to the old flame (a gone-to-seed Thinkpad):
I'm sorry, so sorry. I know I have spent many hours with you, spent hundreds of dollars treating you to all the best money could buy. I have made sure you had everything you have needed in the years we have been together. I even loved you enough to load Linux instead of Windows.

I'm sorry, so sorry I do not spend as much time with you as I once did but I must be honest. I have found a new love. My new love is thinner, prettier and more fun....

I'm sorry, so sorry. I'm not trying to rub it in but this Nokia N810 does nearly everything I once needed you to do.

Read the full article.

tso 2008-02-26 20:19

Re: Tablet love at Darla Mack

heh, thats quite funny :)

oh, and nice to see a lady pick a N8x0 over a iphone or touch :D

anidel 2008-02-27 08:35

The Thinkpad is still helping there, my Powerbook 12" is helping someone else :(

http://anidel.blogspot.com/2008/02/farewell-dear.html

I wrote this after having read the "Saying doogbye".
I felt pretty much the same way, ashamed but happy, and felt I should do the same for my beloved Mac :)

Texrat 2008-03-02 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 148154)
oh, and nice to see a lady pick a N8x0 over a iphone or touch :D

Actually it was written by Matthew Stevens, a guy who lives near me. ;)

tso 2008-03-02 19:00

someone knock me over the head...

luca 2008-03-02 19:03

Funny she (or "he" according to texrat, edit: now I see that it's actually signed by Matthew Stevens) complains about the 2 hours battery time of the thinkpad, since I don't get that much time out of my n800 (maybe the n810 has better power management/a bigger capacity battery).
Oh, and I don't get even an hour out of my thinkpad, so the tablet is definitely better wrt battery life.

geneven 2008-03-02 19:23

I get at least 3 hours out of my N800. I almost never plug it in; I always run on batteries, and I use it constantly. I was on a jog for almost 3 hours today, listening to mp3s on my N800, and didn't run out of batteries.

50% more than a Thinkpad is a significant amount. 300% is even more, if you adopt the 1 hr vs 3 hours comparison, depending on how you use the statistics!

luca 2008-03-02 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 150161)
I get at least 3 hours out of my N800. I almost never plug it in; I always run on batteries, and I use it constantly. I was on a jog for almost 3 hours today, listening to mp3s on my N800, and didn't run out of batteries.

Hey, probably with such a light use I'd get more than 3 hours, but heavy browsing, claws and the built-in rss reader suck a lot of power.

Quote:

50% more than a Thinkpad is a significant amount. 300% is even more, if you adopt the 1 hr vs 3 hours comparison, depending on how you use the statistics!
Yes, in fact I said that the tablet is a lot better than the thinkpad (since I get less than an hour with the thinkpad), not only wrt battery life as I said before, but also the portability (though I sometimes miss my 1400x1050 screen, but not as much as I'd thought).

tso 2008-03-02 19:43

wifi is one nasty battery killer. and if what i read about 3G lately is what one can expect, its not much better. it seems wireless connectivity seems to be the real problem going forward...

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-02 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 150155)
Funny she (or "he" according to texrat, edit: now I see that it's actually signed by Matthew Stevens) complains about the 2 hours battery time of the thinkpad, since I don't get that much time out of my n800 (maybe the n810 has better power management/a bigger capacity battery).
Oh, and I don't get even an hour out of my thinkpad, so the tablet is definitely better wrt battery life.

Something's either wrong with your device, or you're measuring incorrectly. Not a single one of my (four) devices gets under 3 hours of in-use battery life, and they usually get over 5 with my typical use pattern.

jussik 2008-03-02 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 150180)
Something's either wrong with your device, or you're measuring incorrectly. Not a single one of my (four) devices gets under 3 hours of in-use battery life, and they usually get over 5 with my typical use pattern.

Same here. Luca, you might want to check if you have some misbehaving services running....

luca 2008-03-02 23:15

The only extra daemon that should be running (apart from the standard fare that comes with the os) is the ssh server, and I doubt it's draining too much battery. I think wifi is to blame (as I said, I use it for browsing, rss and email, so the wifi is constantly in use).

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-03 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 150228)
I think wifi is to blame (as I said, I use it for browsing, rss and email, so the wifi is constantly in use).

Did you turn off powersaving? My use cases are ALL with wifi at least idling, and usually with a lot of browsing, so this really doesn't explain it (wifi is very efficient on these devices—unless you turn off powersaving).

luca 2008-03-03 16:57

No, power saving is active.
I'm trying now without claws and the corresponding ssh tunnel (i.e. just the browser) to see if it lasts longer (though the battery applet is flip-flopping constantly between "2 hours left" and "1 hour left").
edit: anyway power saving only works when there'ss nothing to transfer, in another thread I explained how wifi sucks around 50% cpu when wgetting a file.

luca 2008-03-03 18:01

Ok, after 2 and a half hour of just browsing I see the low battery alarm. I should have enough juice to post this...

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-03 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 150414)
edit: anyway power saving only works when there'ss nothing to transfer, in another thread I explained how wifi sucks around 50% cpu when wgetting a file.

The wifi radio flips on and off many times a second, this has nothing to do with CPU consumption. You confused drive issues with chipset inefficiency in the other thread, so you didn't really manage to explain anything.

TA-t3 2008-03-03 18:31

@luca:
I've seen the 2 hours battery time in two scenarios only:
  • When listening on streaming internet radio. This _sucks_ power.
  • While using one particular SiS chipset-based wi-fi router that I own, it somehow manages to disable the N800 wi-fi power saving function. I own other (newer, faster) wi-fi routers as well, and none of them (or any other I've used, for that matter) exhibits the same anomalous behaviour.
My normal use case is to keep the N800 connected to my work wi-fi from early in the morning to late in the evening, browsing occasionally and reading email now and then, plus the off-on gtalk chat. After such a day the battery meter typically shows "7 days/5 hours", which is pretty good.

Texrat 2008-03-03 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 150155)

Until I got the extra large battery pack, I was getting 1.5 to 2 hours from my T43-- now getting 3 or so. 3 to 4 from tablet depending on usage. What's nice with the tablets is that they're MUCH quicker getting on and off networks for me than PCs tend to be.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get Dicewars to work offline... :D

Jobester 2008-03-04 21:44

@Dicewars: Saving the complete page and opening the dice.swf works

qole 2008-03-13 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA-t3 (Post 150444)
@luca:
I've seen the 2 hours battery time in two scenarios only:
  • When listening on streaming internet radio. This _sucks_ power.
  • While using one particular SiS chipset-based wi-fi router that I own, it somehow manages to disable the N800 wi-fi power saving function. I own other (newer, faster) wi-fi routers as well, and none of them (or any other I've used, for that matter) exhibits the same anomalous behaviour.

I can second the power-suckage (hehehe) of internet radio. I guess it is the always-on wifi and the always-on decoding.

Another short battery life scenario is a cheap wifi router at my in-laws; I kept losing connection until I saw in another thread to bump the Power Saving mode to "Intermediate." This solved the disconnection problem, but, as I was warned when I changed the setting (under Advanced / Other on the connection setup box), "Changing to this value increases power consumption significantly." ... Wow, the battery just seems to evaporate at their house.