maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Port request] CorsixTH - new Theme Hospital reimplementation (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38759)

forcer 2009-12-29 23:28

[Port request] CorsixTH - new Theme Hospital reimplementation

Can someone look up to this project and recompile it on Fremantle ?
http://freshmeat.net/projects/corsixth

jself 2009-12-30 01:08

Re: [Port request] CorsixTH - new Theme Hospital reimplementation

Let's not forget Diablo and N8x0 users :(

tso 2009-12-30 01:44

well i'll be... :D

Dragy 2009-12-30 23:48

Amazing, just look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIoj...layer_embedded
It seems this clone also fixes bugs and adds features to the game. This will be PERFECT for the N900.

Tomaszd 2009-12-30 23:50

I've played around with it a couple of days ago. It compiles cleanly for ARM if you turn off sound support. Someone just needs to package this thing up.

Dragy 2010-01-01 09:55

Come on, don't let this thread sink!

So an N900 port won't have sound? :(

REMFwhoopitydo 2010-01-01 17:36

i want this, my mum would l9ove it!

javispedro 2010-01-01 17:53

I want this badly, so I'll package and maintain it (including Diablo version) if nobody wants to take it or has started work on it (tso? tomaszd?)

Music probably uses timidity. Since that would take quite a lot of CPU I suggest pre-rendering the music. Note that any port of this CAN'T distribute the game data files, which you will need to provide.

Thank you very much for pointing me to the existence of this! It's still a work in progress I see, but great progress so far!

forcer 2010-01-01 18:57

cool news javispedro, I'm glad that you have same obsession on theme hospital like I have, report back if you get it working and make sample debs

tso 2010-01-01 20:56

if i am reading the config file correctly (attempting to get it working on a desktop linux install) the music is originally in midi, but can be found in mp3 form online (one address is mentioned in the config.txt file).

the game itself seems fairly compact, if one can manually install the needed files on a SD card somehow.

javispedro 2010-01-02 01:50

Well, I just uploaded a initial one to -devel. On N900 the basic game, sound effects, etc. work at an acceptable speed, and the interface is usable at 800x480. Music doesn't work, because:
a ) I find timidity overkill (though I don't see why it won't work If someone packages it!),
b ) The Nokia blessed libsdl-mixer1.2 doesn't have mp3 support and thus the remixed songs don't work... in fact, it seems to only support wav :( .

I didn't try on the N810 because the diablo toolchain doesn't support pragma "pack" which this software uses extensively, and while it builds I'm pretty sure it'll crash on boot :) . This should be fixable, though.

Note that CorsixTH is just a "playable demo" for now. You can't win or lose nor save or load. If you still want to try, you'll need to put the Original Theme Hospital "Hosp" folder into your MyDocs folder (the game seems to require case insensitivity) and edit /opt/CorsixTH/config.txt .
(you can see the package is optified, btw).

BTW, many thanks to the liblua and cmake packagers.

Bundyo 2010-01-02 08:50

Strange, I couldn't get even wav working in libsdl-mixer..

javispedro 2010-01-02 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 449650)
Strange, I couldn't get even wav working in libsdl-mixer..

The builtin "blocks" game uses wav sound files, so I'm pretty sure they work.

N810:
http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/1601...f3f8c4dbf0.jpg
:D
It works, but needs swap :)

Dragy 2010-01-02 15:41

Well... if you guys manage to make wav work - users with the original discs can just copy the sound files and convert them to wav with a 3rd party software on their computer. I mean it's still legal if it's done by the user with the original copy, right?

wolf 2010-01-02 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 449013)
Music probably uses timidity. Since that would take quite a lot of CPU I suggest pre-rendering the music.

Go for timidity. I've used it in S60 OpenTTD port without any significant performance problems.

tso 2010-01-02 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragy (Post 449935)
I mean it's still legal if it's done by the user with the original copy, right?

well, bullfrog is no more, tho its copyrights and such are held by electronic arts, and this is a area of serious gray. Id software for instance dont care much what people do with their engine code, but one need a copy of the original game to use the maps and textures. Other companies come down hard on any kind of attempt to future proof their old creations...

i guess as long as EA never considers bringing another theme hospital game out, and this fan variant never takes of in any serious way, its safe. But if they ever brought the issue to court, the judge would probably side with EA.

but i am no lawyer, just a fence-top observer of the mess that is copyright in the digital age.

Arctine 2010-01-15 01:31

Perhaps someone could make dungeon keeper run on the n900 too? That'd be awesome!

g0dzilla 2010-01-17 14:53

Worked on N900
http://maemos.ru/wp-content/uploads/...117-175730.png

LozBlake 2010-01-19 18:15

Mine just exits to desktop when i load it, any ideas what might be causing this?

Wes79 2010-01-19 18:23

This is simply great! However, would anyone be so kind as to write a very good guide start to finish for getting TH to run fully? If possible!
I'm an incredible noob! I can use df in xterminal and that is about as far as iv got!! thanks :D

ArnimS 2010-01-27 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 449464)
Well, I just uploaded a initial one to -devel. On N900 the basic game, sound effects, etc. work at an acceptable speed, and the interface is usable at 800x480. Music doesn't work, because:
a ) I find timidity overkill (though I don't see why it won't work If someone packages it!),
b ) The Nokia blessed libsdl-mixer1.2 doesn't have mp3 support and thus the remixed songs don't work... in fact, it seems to only support wav :( .

I didn't try on the N810 because the diablo toolchain doesn't support pragma "pack" which this software uses extensively, and while it builds I'm pretty sure it'll crash on boot :) . This should be fixable, though.

Note that CorsixTH is just a "playable demo" for now. You can't win or lose nor save or load. If you still want to try, you'll need to put the Original Theme Hospital "Hosp" folder into your MyDocs folder (the game seems to require case insensitivity) and edit /opt/CorsixTH/config.txt .
(you can see the package is optified, btw).

BTW, many thanks to the liblua and cmake packagers.

< ukki> libsdl-mixer midi seems to work

also it plays .mod files

midi to xm convertor http://www.un4seen.com/
http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/gmid2mod/ mid to mod
ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/progra...t/mid2xm14.zip

javispedro 2010-01-27 21:01

Well, but I guess it uses timidity for that too.

BNHW 2010-01-27 23:47

You'll need to place the Theme Hospital files in the folder /home/user/MyDocs/Hospital before you can run it.

ukki 2010-01-28 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 498258)
Well, but I guess it uses timidity for that too.

libsdl-mixer uses an old version of timidity and the support is builtin, but it's missing the soundfonts by default. duke3d-timidity only installs the missing soundfonts so after you install it, it should play midi. It works at least with duke and doesn't seem to slow it down a lot.

leetut 2010-01-28 15:44

i got it working, i put the 'Hospital' folder in 'MyDocs'
but how do i edit the config file?

rFour 2010-03-04 16:41

I am so confused with this. Could someone please help me.
I have the CD and moved the files to /MyDocs/Hospital. Do I need to tweak the File Manager or Am I not doing this correctly?
Sorry, I'm new to this system.

javispedro 2010-03-05 15:44

The config file is in /opt/CorsixTH/config.txt

As for now, if you don't know how to edit it I suggest to restrain from using this package, since there's no game to play (it's mostly a demo).

chrism_scotland 2010-03-10 09:04

I would love to see this on a portable, it would be amazing! I have to say that I reckon a system with a capacitive screen and stylus could be more suited to strategy type games than the capacitive ones.

Beerduck 2010-03-15 13:09

Is there a way to remap the keyboard? Like through a config file? I have a scandinavian keyboard where the up/down arrows are behind the blue funktion key so I can't scroll up or down. Only left and right.

gunni 2010-03-15 13:47

As a workaround change your keyboard layout in the settings to english layout before you start playing.
This works here with the german layout.

PipBoyBSOD 2010-03-15 16:32

CorsixTH is it able to play on n900 yet

Just wondering if this is complete or not?

I have the full game file, and have installed the app from the app manager, but am not sure how to tell corsixth where the game CD directory is, just goes to black when i load it.

or have I delved into one of the alpha/beta apps which isn't fully ready yet?

any help would be good. cheers

Beerduck 2010-03-15 16:40

Re: CorsixTH is it able to play on n900 yet

You can find the answer in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38759

The data files should be placed in /home/user/MyDocs/Hospital/

The game itself is in beta although I wouldn't call it a beta. You can play one level that loads automatically and build most things in the hospital, but a lot of features are missing and there is no story.

PipBoyBSOD 2010-03-15 16:46

Re: CorsixTH is it able to play on n900 yet

I see, Thank you...

I suppose the other question is would I be better to play this in DOSbox, or will it be too slow?

javispedro 2010-03-15 17:14

You can also scroll by tapping on the corners. In the future, I assume more comfortable panning will be added.

aidspox 2010-03-20 04:47

How to save the game?

javispedro 2010-03-20 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 449464)
Note that CorsixTH is just a "playable demo" for now. You can't win or lose nor save or load. If you still want to try, you'll need to put the Original Theme Hospital "Hosp" folder into your MyDocs folder (the game seems to require case insensitivity) and edit /opt/CorsixTH/config.txt

I really hope I don't have to quote myself on each and every future page...

ioan 2010-03-24 23:06

CorsixTH

I think this would be nice to have on N900:

http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/AboutBeta2

Tomaszd 2010-03-24 23:09

Re: CorsixTH

We already have Beta1, Javispedro just needs to update the package.

javispedro 2010-03-24 23:13

Mods: please merge with http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38759 .

I will of course update the package, but you'll have to wait until the weekend since I've allocated all of my free time for this week already :)

broeman 2010-03-25 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 581181)
I will of course update the package, but you'll have to wait until the weekend since I've allocated all of my free time for this week already :)

Great, I really love this game, and you did a good port for the N900 :)

Rotating items is a little pain, or is there a button to do this? (sorry if it has been asked before).