maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] [Announce] Vegan Beer (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99640)

taixzo 2017-07-24 03:18

[Announce] Vegan Beer

Created a new app: Vegan Beer, an app which uses the Barnivore API to check whether a given alcohol is vegan.

Huge thanks to eekkelund - this was programmed and built entirely on-device, using tIDE.

eekkelund 2017-08-01 15:46

Re: [Announce] Vegan Beer

Ooh wow! :)
I am so so happy that tIDE is used and usable for on-device developing! I downloaded Vegan Beer, it seems to do just what it promises to do, nice! :)

PS. Have you uploaded source somewhere?
I have started to develop some basic GUI Git support for tIDE..

tortoisedoc 2017-08-01 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1531214)
Created a new app: Vegan Beer, an app which uses the Barnivore API to check whether a given alcohol is vegan.

Huge thanks to eekkelund - this was programmed and built entirely on-device, using tIDE.

Sorry but can't resist;
out of the pit of my ignorance (no offence!);
what's non-vegan in a beer?

mihsun 2017-08-01 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1531807)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_and_beer

switch-hitter 2017-08-01 19:53

Quote:

Fish guts :eek:

Merienth 2017-08-01 20:29

I'm personally not a big fan of the vegan way of life, but knowing the app was done in tIDE I couldn't resist to install it. :)

pichlo 2017-08-02 08:32

Quote:

Why, the yeast of course!

https://youtu.be/gdEbJ6eYzec?t=88

tortoisedoc 2017-08-02 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1531809)

Then this is applies definitely and only to non-german beer. I doubt the Reinheitsgebot would allow fish guts to be added to beer :D

Metsämies 2017-08-02 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1531809)

Bacon.

https://www.mtv.fi/lifestyle/makuja/...ioluen/5854432

mosen 2017-08-02 10:32

The "Reinheitsgebot" has become a farce ;)
It had its meaning some hundret years back to gurantee a minimum standard. But now that we could technically do actually tasty beer within the given Frame, the industry changed the product into a maximum shelf life, ultra filtrated, every damn sort tastes 98% the same kind of brainwash. Yet still fullfilling the Reinheitsgebot and thus market their cheep tasteless imitations as premium.
And i am not even a craft beer advocat :D

tortoisedoc 2017-08-02 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metsämies (Post 1531837)

Mark my words getting drunk would have never been better.

tortoisedoc 2017-08-02 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1531838)
The "Reinheitsgebot" has become a farce ;)
It had its meaning some hundret years back to gurantee a minimum standard. But now that we could technically do actually tasty beer within the given Frame, the industry changed the product into a maximum shelf life, ultra filtrated, every damn sort tastes 98% the same kind of brainwash. Yet still fullfilling the Reinheitsgebot and thus market their cheep tasteless imitations as premium.
And i am not even a craft beer advocat :D

Im sorry w0t, are you saying German beer sucks? :D

switch-hitter 2017-08-02 12:41

Good news my vegan chums!

Here's a list of 20 vegan friendly ciders ;)

If you haven't tried cider or perry give them a go :)

juiceme 2017-08-02 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1531851)
Good news my vegan chums!

Here's a list of 20 vegan friendly ciders ;)

If you haven't tried cider or perry give them a go :)

But, like @pichlo noted, those still contain yeast which technically is an animal...

taixzo 2017-08-02 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by eekkelund (Post 1531791)
PS. Have you uploaded source somewhere?
I have started to develop some basic GUI Git support for tIDE..

I have not yet, due to it being more difficult to set up github keys on the phone. I'll try and do that this weekend. That said, native Git support would be awesome!
One other suggestion: Would it be possible that, after building the RPMs, they are copied over to Documents? As it stands, they are in a location that can't be seen by the browser's file picker if I try to upload to openrepos, so they need to be copied to Documents manually first.

Kabouik 2017-08-02 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1531867)
But, like @pichlo noted, those still contain yeast which technically is an animal...

Technically they are being classified as fungus, so it's not so trivial to consider them animals. You can safely drink yeast and still be vegan.

About cider, I have no idea if they are vegan-friendly or not, but if they are, please consider French cider brands. They typically are a very different beverage than what is considered cider in the international (or British?) meaning. A lot less sugar, and ultimately a totally different taste. While French cider (either from Brittany or Normandy, the two competing regions in this regard) is one of my favorite light drinks, I can't even finish a glass of the sweeter ciders from Bulmers, Magners or Aspall, which shows that they really are distinct types of ciders.

pichlo 2017-08-02 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1531873)
a very different beverage than what is considered cider in the international (or British?) meaning.

Depends on what you consider "international".

In America, for example, "cider" means "apple juice".
In Britain, it means "alcoholic drink made by fermenting apple juice".

My reference to yeast was of course tongue in cheek. But there is only part of a joke in every joke. There is at least one definition that says a vegan is "someone who eats plant products only". Yeast is not a plant ;)

taixzo 2017-08-02 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1531878)
There is at least one definition that says a vegan is "someone who eats plant products only". Yeast is not a plant ;)

For that matter, neither is salt. ;)

eekkelund 2017-08-02 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1531868)
I have not yet, due to it being more difficult to set up github keys on the phone. I'll try and do that this weekend. That said, native Git support would be awesome!
One other suggestion: Would it be possible that, after building the RPMs, they are copied over to Documents? As it stands, they are in a location that can't be seen by the browser's file picker if I try to upload to openrepos, so they need to be copied to Documents manually first.

I won't give any estimate for Git support, I have been busy with other cool projects..
But that other suggestion: sure! I will add it to next release. I am happy to hear all suggestions/improvements/feature requests. :)

switch-hitter 2017-08-23 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1531873)
About cider, I have no idea if they are vegan-friendly or not, but if they are, please consider French cider brands. They typically are a very different beverage than what is considered cider in the international (or British?) meaning. A lot less sugar, and ultimately a totally different taste. While French cider (either from Brittany or Normandy, the two competing regions in this regard) is one of my favorite light drinks, I can't even finish a glass of the sweeter ciders from Bulmers, Magners or Aspall, which shows that they really are distinct types of ciders.

Cider drinkers in France :eek: We've long suspected Bretons have west country DNA in them ;)
The UK and Ireland drink twice as much cider as the rest of Europe combined (hic).

Here you can get sweet, medium or dry cider according to your taste. I'm not too keen on some of the dry ones though, they seem to strip your mouth of saliva.

I like to check the cider brewery has it's own orchards and that they're not just buying in concentrate. Personally I really like Thatchers Haze. Thatchers are a growing family brewery and they've just planted 25,000 new trees so by drinking Thatchers Haze I'm also helping save the planet :D