maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Announce]NXEngine Compiled *Cave Story engine-rewrite* OpenSource (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71254)

humble 2011-03-20 13:32

[Announce]NXEngine Compiled *Cave Story engine-rewrite* OpenSource

1 Attachment(s)
BETA 1 release of NXEngine, a clone/engine-rewrite of the classic jump-and-run platformer Cave Story.
v103 23/12/2010 (http://nxengine.sourceforge.net)

not so big on words so...:D

i compile and packaged NXEngine for Maemo (wasn't hard). When i first launched NXEngine the music was way too jumpy and the game play was the same(it's a BETA) but all it needed was some tweaking.

Dependences
:
Code:

apt-get install libsdl1.2 libsdl1.3-dev libsdl-ttf2.0

Instructions:

Code:

1) install nxengine_0.0.1-0_armel.deb

2) copy the "Doukutsu.exe" and "data" dir from the original datafiles into "/opt/nxengine" dir (it freeware so you can them any where)

3) launch NXEngine with shortcut

4) screens going to pop-up. press any key to extract the files. then the game will start.

"You can delete "Doukutsu.exe" file after the first successful run."

Buttons:
Code:

D-Pad = controls
z = jump
x = fire
a = weapon previous
s = weapon next
q = inventory
w = map
r = menu
e = console

NXEngine:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/nxengine/

humble 2011-03-20 13:33

Re: NXEngine Compiled

Template for posting FPS
go to console(e) and type "fps" enter.
Code:

VERSION:(PR1.3) or ex.(CSSU)
OC'D:(XXX,XXXX) or (NO)
SWAP MOD'S:(YES) or (NO) if so what settings
FPS:(XX) (XX low/XX high)

check here for example

Game Gripper key bindings
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=23
thanks electristan

MiK546 2011-03-20 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 971710)
i get this error with the builder... any help will be welcome
Code:

dpkg-shlibdeps: error: couldn't find library libSDL-1.2.so.0 needed by debian/nxengine/opt/nxengine/nx (ELF format: 'elf32-littlearm'; RPATH: '').
Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any shlibs or symbols file.
To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/nxengine.substvars debian/nxengine/opt/nxengine/nx returned exit code 2
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 9
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

in the mean while nxengine_0_0_1-0_arm...: http://www.divshare.com/download/14360896-461

Are you sure you have "libsdl1.2-dev" as a build dependency?

humble 2011-03-20 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiK546 (Post 971826)
Are you sure you have "libsdl1.2" as a build dependency?

i mean no.. im going to try thanks

and i got an update (better fps) that i would like to push

EDIT: i think it worked well if it did when i get the link i will post.

nope no installable candidate so *libsdl1.3-dev*

Crugath 2011-03-20 22:02

Re: [Announce]NXEngine Compiled *Cave Story engine-rewrite* OpenSource

Works great for me. Installed in Faster Application Manager then copied the game files across via Filezilla and it worked first time! Thank you, humble! :D

DelJaRoo 2011-03-21 02:05

Hey, it works! Thanks!
Any way we could change the controls? It'd be nice to have it mapped with the game grip

Dead1nside 2011-03-21 02:16

Excellent, I love Cave Story. Is the NXEngine a completed rewrite of the engine, as in everything's functional?

I don't suppose the Wii Remote would work with this, would it?

Thank you.

electristan 2011-03-21 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelJaRoo (Post 972082)
Hey, it works! Thanks!
Any way we could change the controls? It'd be nice to have it mapped with the game grip

This would be really great :) Thanks for the port

humble 2011-03-21 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelJaRoo (Post 972082)
Hey, it works! Thanks!

yes, press r(menu) go to controls and map the keys to the buttons. theoretically it should work. let me know so i can put them in my second post:D. thanks

Nokia 5700 2011-03-21 20:00

This game is sweet. I love it! Good work, man. :D
Everything works well, and the performance is good as well.

DelJaRoo 2011-03-22 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 972232)
yes, press r(menu) go to controls and map the keys to the buttons. theoretically it should work. let me know so i can put them in my second post:D. thanks

Yeah! That worked! I didn't even know you could do that in Cave Story! You can't remap the r button though so the game grip will cover it up, but you really don't need it, map and inventory work well as a pause.

thanks again

pelago 2011-03-22 10:33

Can anyone make a video of this?

electristan 2011-03-23 09:22

Just had a chance to have a play with this today and it works pretty darn well :)

i haven't OC'd the phone yet, just re flashed, but on my side the game runs very well but the sound and especially the music seems "slow" if that makes any sense.

Is it like that for anyone else (please say if you have an OCd' phone or not)?

Update:

OC'd the phone to 850 and the sound is still a bit slow (same issue with this engine/game on my Dingoo).

Still an awesome port though ;) will play through it again when my game gripper shows up

humble 2011-03-23 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by electristan (Post 973738)
Just had a chance to have a play with this today and it works pretty darn well :)

i haven't OC'd the phone yet, just re flashed, but on my side the game runs very well but the sound and especially the music seems "slow" if that makes any sense.

Is it like that for anyone else (please say if you have an OCd' phone or not)?

Update:

OC'd the phone to 850 and the sound is still a bit slow (same issue with this engine/game on my Dingoo).

Still an awesome port though ;) will play through it again when my game gripper shows up

What I've done is re flashed my phone (.. was having Xorg and dbus-scripts issues.) unrelated to this

and yes if you watch a video (at 3:10 it starts) with it on the dingoo the music makes the game unplayable (..not on Maemo);)

yeah me too(game griper..for anyone):D im waiting on some one to post the keys. (so i can put it in the second post.)

right now i have a build that i feel is better fps(50,52 and more strongly..)

im going to release it but i have to re-package(you might have to copy all the information out of "/opt/nexngine" except nx or delete it. most likely nxengine and nxengine-data so i can push updates that wont delete your data(game saves) on updates of the engine and completely deletes on removal

i would like to see the average fps's of testers to see if this update is need

so. go in to console and type "fps" and post your fps and your setup like this. thanks

Code:

VERSION:(PR1.3)
OC'D:(600,1000)
SWAP MOD'S:(NO)
FPS:(50) (40 low/56 high)

electristan 2011-03-23 13:34

Here you are :) this is the same with and without music. The game its self runs great and would be perfect if the sound/music was faster/synced

Code:

VERSION: (PR1.3)
OC'D: (250,850)
SWAP MOD'S: (NO)
FPS: (50) (38 low/52 high)

humble 2011-03-23 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by electristan (Post 973878)
Here you are :) this is the same with and without music. The game its self runs great and would be perfect if the sound/music was faster/synced

Code:

VERSION: PR1.3
OC'D: 250,850
SWAP MOD'S: No
FPS: 50 (38 low/52 high)

thats what im trying to accomplish too. im geting 56 high.
and i like how you posted your fps im going to use it:)

electristan 2011-03-23 13:48

Cool, and good luck :)

humble 2011-03-31 12:38

ok i did not for get about this project. its just that i have not made any major improvements that makes scene.

one binary has liquid play(but volume is badly sync'd)
another has good sync(but crapy play)
and last but not lease one thats decent

so this decent one i might release this weekend.

i could be how my device is set up so we'll see.

electristan 2011-03-31 13:12

Im still here to :) (im sure others are aswell)

Still waiting for the Game Gripper, when it comes ill update with the keyboard bindings for it.

looking forward to the update

mattiasbäx 2011-04-01 06:55

Since it's freware: Could anyone post a good link for an english client that works well with this engine? I had problems finding one yesterday...

This will be so cool if I get it to work and will most likely make me buy a gamegripper, always loved cave story so much!!

electristan 2011-04-01 07:42

here you are http://www.megaupload.com/?d=76OPKL1T translated and ready to go.

just unzip and and you can play it on your pc or follow the instructions in the first post to play it on the N900.

Have fun :)

mattiasbäx 2011-04-01 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by electristan (Post 979691)
here you are http://www.megaupload.com/?d=76OPKL1T translated and ready to go.

just unzip and and you can play it on your pc or follow the instructions in the first post to play it on the N900.

Have fun :)

Thank you! Will download when I get home from work.

electristan 2011-04-01 15:39

Got the Game Gripper! Bellow are the button layouts for the keyboard.

http://www.abload.de/img/n900gamegripperkeysvsxm.jpg

P.S. I have a Norwegian keyboard so the so the red is Æ and the yellow is .

P.P.S. IT WORKS SO WELL!

mattiasbäx 2011-04-01 18:08

"2) copy the "Doukutsu.exe" and "data" dir from the original datafiles into "/opt/nxengine" dir (it freeware so you can them any where) "

I downloaded the files on my PC... Where is that directory? Sorry for the stupidness :/

electristan 2011-04-01 18:54

"/opt/nxengine" dir is on you phone, / being the root.

I used FileBox to copy the files over (after i moved them from the PC to my phone)

Hope that helps :)

humble 2011-04-01 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasbäx (Post 979989)
"2) copy the "Doukutsu.exe" and "data" dir from the original datafiles into "/opt/nxengine" dir (it freeware so you can them any where) "

I downloaded the files on my PC... Where is that directory? Sorry for the stupidness :/

no problem, download filebox and copy the files from where ever you have them(emmc/MyDocs, or mmc) to that area.

@electristan
thanks, im going to quote you to the second page.:D

MiK546 2011-04-01 19:22

I happened to look in the dependencies of the package and saw that it depend from sudser. I wonder why it does that, judging from the engines web site it doesn't really need it (and if it needs, rootsh would probably be better choise as it's more popular and sudser removes it). Also libsdl1.3-dev isn't probably needed as a dependency either but as a build-dependency (-dev packages aren't usually needed to anything but building the packages).

mattiasbäx 2011-04-01 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by electristan (Post 980029)
"/opt/nxengine" dir is on you phone, / being the root.

I used FileBox to copy the files over (after i moved them from the PC to my phone)

Hope that helps :)

So there is no possible way to move them straightly there from PC?

Edit: Doesn't matter, It worked with filebox!

mattiasbäx 2011-04-01 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 980031)
no problem, download filebox and copy the files from where ever you have them(emmc/MyDocs, or mmc) to that area.

@electristan
thanks, im going to quote you to the second page.:D

Got the game to work very smooth, I'm having a problem though. Since I'm using a swedish layout of the keyboard i don't have a D-pad (up and down arrow are used with blue arrow + left/right). Using the blue arrow and left/right won't move the cursor on the menu though, making me unable to move down to controlls for remaping... I hope you understand the problem. Any way to solve this?

electristan 2011-04-01 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasbäx (Post 980086)
Got the game to work very smooth, I'm having a problem though. Since I'm using a swedish layout of the keyboard i don't have a D-pad (up and down arrow are used with blue arrow + left/right). Using the blue arrow and left/right won't move the cursor on the menu though, making me unable to move down to controlls for remaping... I hope you understand the problem. Any way to solve this?

I had the same issue, i have a Norwegian keyboard. If you go to Setting - Text input and change the "Hardware keyboard layout" to English you can use . and Å as left and up

humble 2011-04-02 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiK546 (Post 980045)
I happened to look in the dependencies of the package and saw that it depend from sudser. I wonder why it does that, judging from the engines web site it doesn't really need it (and if it needs, rootsh would probably be better choise as it's more popular and sudser removes it). Also libsdl1.3-dev isn't probably needed as a dependency either but as a build-dependency (-dev packages aren't usually needed to anything but building the packages).

well theres no way to start it with out sudser( and its actually better..) and yes it is bulider wont bulid it with out it(not me) if you didn't read the first page of this thread(then you'd know why;))

EDIT: the answer is in your post

MiK546 2011-04-02 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 980228)
well theres no way to start it with out sudser( and its actually better..) and yes it is bulider wont bulid it with out it(not me) if you didn't read the first page of this thread(then you'd know why;))

EDIT: the answer is in your post

OK, thanks for the reply. When I answered you in the first page I meant to put it to build-dependencies, not as a "normal" dependency but if it works this way that really isn't a problem. The sudser on the other hand isn't as much used as rootsh (or at least I think so) so I just tough it would be better to put it as a dependecy instead so you wouldn't be forcing people to change to sudser. But you the dev, not me, so it's your call, I just shared my thoughts.

humble 2011-04-02 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiK546 (Post 980353)
"The sudser on the other hand isn't as much used as rootsh (or at least I think so)"

i agree with you(and its true).

all it would take is for them is to change "root"(rootsh) to "rush"(sudser) in there app's.
but sudser allows us to use "sudo" so we can sudo some thing ex. sudo chrt -r -p 99 9078 works, i cant root chrt -r -p 99 9078 i would have to root first then run my command.

+plus you can give sudo a password

EDit: sudser is a dependecy to launch the app. not for the app so if i remove....

MiK546 2011-04-03 10:14

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry that I'm still continuing about the dependencies, but I just tried to compile the program myself with just lbsdl1.2 and lbsdl-ttf2.0 as dependencies and libsdl1.2-dev (and debhelper of course) as build-dependency. The engine compiled just fine and it works well too. This means that sudser isn't really needed at all (and neither is rootsh, I even removed it too to be sure root access isn't needed). I attached my modified debian/control if you want to take a look at it.

humble 2011-04-03 10:52

its ok, on my next update (which should be by the end of the day) i'll fix it.till then every body if this bothers you go to /usr/share/applications/hildon/NXEngine.desktop and edit it.. remove sudo and "":)

humble 2011-04-03 11:40

wait on closer observation. sudo is needed on extraction part of the engine. delete settings.dat file and try it. its so long ago i forgot why i did it

MiK546 2011-04-03 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 980913)
wait on closer observation. sudo is needed on extraction part of the engine. delete settings.dat file and try it. its so long ago i forgot why i did it

At least on my phone sudo can be used with rootsh. Actually I could use it even after removing it, but that may still be caused by something rootsh does...

wicket 2011-04-04 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by humble (Post 980913)

I had a go at building NXEngine a couple of weeks ago. I got it running and don't remember needing superuser privileges for anything. If the extraction part of the engine is failing for you, I'm guessing your file/directory permissions aren't right and are possibly owned by root.

electristan 2011-04-07 08:13

Just stopping by to see how it is going :) Any new on the update?

humble 2011-04-07 10:17

yeah this weekend i bricked my device(messing with some kernel stuff). so that kind of slowed up my progress to release. i was looking for OEM mico usb(lost mines and the one i had didn't work)so i had to order one...

it came i flashed... all gone...everything.

i have to put bits and peaces together.(remember what i did)

so give me some time(i know your not rushing or in a rush) im power compiling.:D (on my free time)