maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Alternative desktop for N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56506)

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 00:53

Alternative desktop for N900

I want to keep Maemo 5 Fremantle as my operating system while changing the desktop environment.

Why?

I don't want to destroy everything by flashing another OS (flashing seems too radical for me),

and I don't like shiny interface of Hildon, along with transitions and blurs;
Hildon Application Manager is useless, I install almost everything from xterm;
File Manager is limited, so I currently use combination of Fennec for reading and xterm+vi for editing.

KDE and GNOME are too heavy; FVWM, LXDE, E17, Openbox or ICEWM could suit me. I don't know the differences amongst them; deep thanks for explanation.

I want the most light and configurable desktop environment, without losing functionality.
I prefer to have both real and virtual keyboard.
One desktop is enough, ten is too much.
Having two windows on one screen is a luxury; having only one window working at a time is a constraint (thus, multitasking is quite a necessity, though I could try to live without it).
Adobe Flash is not needed; Fennec is the best browser, in my humble opinion.

Having no shadows, no borders, no gradients in titlebars, statusbars, etc is fine.

Matchbox might be good; it's said to be minimal (very well!) window manager;

but currently Hildon has shiny, gradient buttons, backgrounds, transitions, sparks, blurs, etc, and I don't want them.

And I have no icons and no widgets on desktop.

Gestures support is also excessive. Tap, double tap and tap-hold are quite enough. Drag-and-drop seems to be unnecessary, too.

I have no memory card, just usual specifications of N900.

Crashdamage 2010-06-18 00:57

Re: Alternative desktop for N900

Why not go all out:

http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

ceroberts75 2010-06-18 01:06

might look at something like this.

Nokia

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 720006)

Thanks for reply!

I downloaded 1.4.5 tar.gz, but how do I install it?

It's not a deb, I mean. Please, explain how to install tar.gz, or where to download deb for Maemo.

Crashdamage 2010-06-18 01:17

Uhhh...that was a joke...did you really check out the website? Look closer. Anyway, sorry if it went by you. It's not really installable on the N900.

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 720015)
Uhhh...that was a joke...did you really check out the website? Look closer. Anyway, sorry if it went by you. It's not really installable on the N900.

Why not?

The tar.gz is source package, but it's structure isn't suitable for dpkg-buildpackage. So building ratpoison on maemo cannot be done by a newbie, but in principle, there should be a way to do it.
But I don't really need ratpoison; it would most likely have no touchscreen support, as it has no mouse support (source: Wikipedia).

So what about FVWM, LXDE, E17, Openbox, ICEWM, etc? What are the differences amongst them? What are working, light, fast, simple alternative desktop environments working on Maemo 5?

kingoddball 2010-06-18 02:44

It's probably INSTALLABLE (if built for ARM), but it's not designed for N900. You wouldn't be able to access SMS, Phone, GPS, Camera... Anything useful.

Why not try install Android as a main OS and change the UI of android.

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 02:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 720060)
It's probably INSTALLABLE (if built for ARM), but it's not designed for N900. You wouldn't be able to access SMS, Phone, GPS, Camera... Anything useful.

That's why I do not insist on ratpoison. I want something workable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 720060)
Why not try install Android as a main OS and change the UI of android.

I want alternative desktop environment, not alternative OS.

Android would be difficult to install (like any alternative OS, if not more), slow to run (Java Virtual Machine), and it would be difficult to get apps for it (and to gain root).

It's a separate topic. I have already read enough about "Android isn't Linux", "Android is slow", "Android is nonstandard" to be glad that I have Maemo, not Android.

About changing user interface: I'm working on theme for Hildon which would expose Matchbox as it is, instead of using images here and there. But I would really prefer alternative desktop environment, which would have no fancy styling. Matchbox is good; GTK+ seems to be bad, at least theme-ing part.

Patola 2010-06-18 02:57

Easy debian seems to be the ideal solution for you, it comes with LXDE and all the things you asked for. Have you tried it?

Radicalz38 2010-06-18 03:06

Wow! Man you're my exact opposite! Well if it is indeed yes! I suggest LXDE a total crap DU for me since it's way totally very simple and old school. Guess you would like it. Hehehe

kingoddball 2010-06-18 03:28

Android installs easily and runs fast as on ANY phone!
Android on N900 is running great, just needs more work.

why not try get the older maemo UI to run? I remember seeing that maemol 4 (N8x0) had kde running on it.

xomm 2010-06-18 03:39

LXDE via Easy Debian's actually pretty usable.

Maybe you can get other DEs installed via Synaptic, but I haven't tried.

As per the previous post, penguinbait has ported several DEs to Diablo, not sure how they would work on Fremantle. Unfortunately, penguinbait has said he is no longer active on these forums.

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 03:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patola (Post 720068)
Easy debian seems to be the ideal solution for you, it comes with LXDE and all the things you asked for. Have you tried it?

Easy Debian... It's for running OpenOffice.org and Firefox and other large applications... No, it doesn't interest me now, though it's curious concept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 (Post 720073)
Wow! Man you're my exact opposite! Well if it is indeed yes! I suggest LXDE a total crap DU for me since it's way totally very simple and old school. Guess you would like it. Hehehe

Well... You both advise LXDE. So, where can I get it?

P.S. Hildon uses Matchbox; LXDE uses Openbox. LXDE is said to be faster than Hildon; Matchbox is said to be faster than Openbox. Who can explain this paradox?

Wikiwide 2010-06-18 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 720080)
Android installs easily and runs fast as on ANY phone!
Android on N900 is running great, just needs more work.

I don't want to argue about alternative OS here; I would like alternative desktop environment.

Search for "Android isn't Linux", and you might find some criticism of Android on Maemo.org.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 720080)
why not try get the older maemo UI to run? I remember seeing that maemol 4 (N8x0) had kde running on it.

Older maemo OS... First, it requires flashing. Second, it might be buggy or incompatible with N900 hardware.

KDE is a heavy desktop environment, just the opposite of what I look for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xomm (Post 720085)

LXDE via Easy Debian: I'm afraid that the heaviness of Easy Debian will offset the advantages of LXDE lightness. Try to forget for one minute that N900 is powerful enough to run even OpenOffice.org; I want a light desktop environment for Maemo 5.

Quote:

As per the previous post, penguinbait has ported several DEs to Diablo, not sure how they would work on Fremantle. Unfortunately, penguinbait has said he is no longer active on these forums.

Sorry to hear that... Maybe, he left a note on how he ported the DEs to Diablo, so that it would be possible to similarly make a port to Fremantle?

Or just give a link to the DEs so that I could test them on Fremantle :-/. If it isn't too dangerous.

xomm 2010-06-18 13:15

After digging through penguinbait's blog, I found this.

Again, probably not what you're looking for, but it's a start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Alternative desktops
In addition to the officially supported Hildon environment that comes standard on the tablets, several alternate desktop systems are available. Penguinbait, a member of the Internet Tablet Talk community, has successfully ported KDE 3, Openbox, and XFCE to the N800 and N810 (the 770 is able to run an early version of the KDE port). KDE 4 is being ported at the present time. LXDE is the default desktop for the "Easy Debian" distribution, which is installed as a single application under Maemo, but provides access to the full range of software in the ARM Debian distribution via a chroot environment.

Although I can't find anything on his download page other than KDE 3.5.8.

EDIT: Here's XFCE. Not quite LXDE, but it looks fine.

EDIT 2: Here's OpenBox + ROX.

EDIT 3: Here's KDE 4.

Just remember that all of the above (with the exception of penguinbait's own experiment in the first link) are designed for pre-Fremantle releases of Maemo.

Wikiwide 2010-06-19 01:03

Read here

http://matchbox-project.org/overview.html

I have libmatchbox1, matchbox-window-manager, libglib, pango, png.

I want: matchbox-common, matchbox-desktop, matchbox-panel.
What's the way to build them for Fremantle?

And how to disable hildon-desktop, hildon-status-bar, etc. without crashing everything?

It's a possibility of replacing Hildon DE with Matchbox DE. What do you think about it?

Wikiwide 2010-06-20 22:08

Is it true that the only way hildon is started at startup is through /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop? Will editing the file allow to startup another elf instead of hildon-desktop (for instance, matchbox-desktop, if and when it will be compiled)? Is there a way to say in this file that it asks me whether I want to start hildon or matchbox, I make the choice, and it goes on accordingly?

I'm trying to compile libmatchbox (it's required before anything else). What does "Required X11 headers and libraries not found" mean? What package I need to install to get it working?

kingoddball 2010-06-20 22:16

Quote:

Hi,
You can change the windowing system. Don't use synaptic.
Use Easy Deb CHroot and just use apt-get install..

apt-get install jwm (tiny, tiny window manager)
apt-get instal xfce4
kde, gwm.... blah blah blah.. :)

It's hard to get them to work sometimes.
I was using xnest to get them to work, but found out (qole) that we should be using xypher (same scratchbox n900 emulator).

There is a problem though, when you install XFCE4 (maybe it has been fixed?), you loose the blue function button in LXDE (normal easy debain).

Instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50874

Wikiwide 2010-06-20 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 723053)
Hi,
You can change the windowing system. Don't use synaptic.
Use Easy Deb CHroot and just use apt-get install..

apt-get install jwm (tiny, tiny window manager)
apt-get instal xfce4
kde, gwm.... blah blah blah.. :)

It's hard to get them to work sometimes.
I was using xnest to get them to work, but found out (qole) that we should be using xypher (same scratchbox n900 emulator).

There is a problem though, when you install XFCE4 (maybe it has been fixed?), you loose the blue function button in LXDE (normal easy debain).

Instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50874

Well... I don't want to install Easy Debian on top of Hildon and then xfce4 on top of Easy Debian.

I just want to replace Hildon with something which wouldn't have too much black color, transitions, blur, shadows, png decorations, etc.

And as any desktop environment for Fremantle has to be compiled, I think about matchbox-desktop: matchbox-window-manager already works on Fremantle.

kingoddball 2010-06-21 02:20

Wikiwide - I was not replying to your message.
Please look again.
It was to xomm.
It was nothing about Hildon.

dchky 2010-06-27 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 723082)
Well... I don't want to install Easy Debian on top of Hildon and then xfce4 on top of Easy Debian.

I just want to replace Hildon with something which wouldn't have too much black color, transitions, blur, shadows, png decorations, etc.

And as any desktop environment for Fremantle has to be compiled, I think about matchbox-desktop: matchbox-window-manager already works on Fremantle.

Silver spoon much good sir?

What you will not find is a simple drop in .deb file. You want this, you're going to have to do a lot of the work on your own because 1990 is not calling out to any of us - nobody beyond an exceedingly small number of people want something so minimalistic.

If you don't want any gradients, patterns, or eyecandy, then just delete the transitions and uninstall all your themes, that way you'll be left with bog standard ugly GTK in all its light boring goodness.

Wikiwide 2010-06-27 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchky (Post 731209)
Silver spoon much good sir?

What you will not find is a simple drop in .deb file. You want this, you're going to have to do a lot of the work on your own because 1990 is not calling out to any of us - nobody beyond an exceedingly small number of people want something so minimalistic.

Yes, I understand. I'm ready to do a lot of work - I don't know how. I'm not desperate enough to try to install Minix dual-boot with Maemo :-/. I'm not ready to crash N900 yet.

And I have neither time nor knowledge for writing an operating system, based on Gecko (where all applications would be written on XML and HTML and JavaScript; no ELF's, no binaries; drivers would be handled in a manner similar to plug-ins in Firefox; and still, I would then like to simplify Gecko, to make it smaller and smaller).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchky (Post 731209)
If you don't want any gradients, patterns, or eyecandy, then just delete the transitions and uninstall all your themes, that way you'll be left with bog standard ugly GTK in all its light boring goodness.

How do you imagine that? Do you know a way to uninstall all GTK themes without losing key bindings? Besides, GTK will still remain a large complex object, looking around for themes and transitions. I would like something which cannot even think about transitions or themes.

I would like something with black-and-white interface. Maybe, even without multitasking. Just nothing fancy.

One example: right now Ovi Maps take a long time to load. Why? I suppose, having everything black-and-white, including maps, would speed them up a bit (and don't show this progress bar! It's not pleasant to look at it whilst I cannot even switch to another window or desktop while these maps load themselves).

drautzburg 2010-06-29 21:15

Wikiwide, you have my sympathy. I also wish I could find something more useful than hildon and friends (and it could well be less pretty).

cfh11 2010-06-29 21:27

@OP I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish what you're looking for, but you definitely bought the right phone!

6sicSIX 2010-06-29 21:52

Hmm... Maemo5-lite.. Sounds good to me =)

qole 2010-06-30 00:07

Wikiwide:
  • Hit CTRL-backarrow to get out of Maps and back to the dashboard while the progress bar is showing.
  • Try using transitioncontrol to set all of the transitions to their minimum values.
  • I highly doubt a black-and-white interface / theme would make any difference to speed.

Wikiwide 2010-06-30 00:25

• Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 734801)
    Wikiwide:
    Hit CTRL-backarrow to get out of Maps and back to the dashboard while the progress bar is showing.

Thanks for advice!
  • Quote:

Try using transitioncontrol to set all of the transitions to their minimum values.

Maybe, I'll do it.
  • Quote:

I highly doubt a black-and-white interface / theme would make any difference to speed.

I mean not Hildon/GTK+ black-and-white theme, but a minimalistic desktop environment. Like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDE

or I don't know what.

radiochickenwax 2010-07-02 20:39

Hi.
This is my first post here. I too have an n900, and would prefer to run fluxbox instead of Hildon.

I feel that Hildon is part of what is keeping my n900 from running as a true computer. I have fluxbox running in the easy-debian chroot, but this seems redundant and needlessly resource intensive.

I suppose ideally, I would abandon Maemo altogether and simply run debian natively, with FSO as a means of accessing GSM telephony, and probably zhone as an interface as in the following link.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

However, this does not seem to be trivial to install at present, so I am stuck with Maemo.

However, I would like to at least abandon Hildon, and surprisingly this is the only thread that I've found so far. I would have thought that by now someone would have found a way to replace the default window manager.

I don't like Hildon because it forces every window to be maximized, which nullifies the concept of multitasking in many ways. I can't view two windows simultaneously, and I can't resize them or move them.

For me, open source is largely about the freedom of choice; choosing a window manager is kind of a big deal, and I've always sided with fluxbox for it's minimalism and flexibility. So where is the first step to take? There is no .xinitrc in Maemo, so what starts Xorg? I'm thinking it might be somewhere in /etc/init.d, but I would appreciate any advice.

Wikiwide 2010-07-03 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiochickenwax (Post 738993)
Hi.
This is my first post here. I too have an n900, and would prefer to run fluxbox instead of Hildon.

I would be glad, too : )

Quote:

I feel that Hildon is part of what is keeping my n900 from running as a true computer.

File manager is too limited, Sketch can neither resize nor zoom image, Photographs' editor saves edited png into jpg, etc... Too much eye-candy and not enough functionality. I use Fennec to see the files which aren't seen by File Manager, and vi to edit them if needed.

Quote:

I have fluxbox running in the easy-debian chroot, but this seems redundant and needlessly resource intensive.

I'm of the same opinion. :-)

Quote:

I suppose ideally, I would abandon Maemo altogether and simply run debian natively, with FSO as a means of accessing GSM telephony, and probably zhone as an interface as in the following link.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

However, this does not seem to be trivial to install at present, so I am stuck with Maemo.

Yes, to run Debian natively you need:
1. to make a backup;
2. to find a Debian image for your type of hardware, or to make it yourself;
3. put this image onto a memory card or something like that and follow instructions from Debian repository;
4. If N900 doesn't work, reflash it and start again.

Quote:

However, I would like to at least abandon Hildon, and surprisingly this is the only thread that I've found so far. I would have thought that by now someone would have found a way to replace the default window manager.

Penguinbait could, but he doesn't have N900.

http://tablethacker.com/

Quote:

I don't like Hildon because it forces every window to be maximized, which nullifies the concept of multitasking in many ways. I can't view two windows simultaneously, and I can't resize them or move them.

It's due to window manager, Matchbox. It's mostly used for devices with such small screens that there is no point in having two windows opened simultaneously. However, N900 has quite large screen, so yes, for multitasking matchbox isn't the best choice.

Quote:

For me, open source is largely about the freedom of choice; choosing a window manager is kind of a big deal, and I've always sided with fluxbox for it's minimalism and flexibility. So where is the first step to take? There is no .xinitrc in Maemo, so what starts Xorg? I'm thinking it might be somewhere in /etc/init.d, but I would appreciate any advice.

Yes, I suppose that on start-up everything is called from /etc/init.d. At the same time, the scripts in /etc/init.d call out other scripts from /etc/osso-af-init and binaries from /usr/bin. Right now I suppose that Hildon is started in /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop. Before editing it, backup everything from N900, so that you can re-flash it in case of problems.

Venemo 2010-07-03 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 720003)
and I don't like shiny interface of Hildon, along with transitions and blurs;

You might want to edit the transitions.ini file to disable those.

Quote:

Hildon Application Manager is useless, I install almost everything from xterm;

The app manager is for people who like a GUI better than a terminal.

Quote:

File Manager is limited, so I currently use combination of Fennec for reading and xterm+vi for editing.

There are other file managers in the repositories.

Quote:

KDE and GNOME are too heavy; FVWM, LXDE, E17, Openbox or ICEWM could suit me. I don't know the differences amongst them; deep thanks for explanation.

If you don't know about them, how can you tell that they are what you want?

Quote:

Having no shadows, no borders, no gradients in titlebars, statusbars, etc is fine.

You might consider downloading a theme which does exactly this.

Quote:

Matchbox might be good; it's said to be minimal (very well!) window manager;

Hildon already uses Matchbox.

Quote:

but currently Hildon has shiny, gradient buttons, backgrounds, transitions, sparks, blurs, etc, and I don't want them.

Alhough I don't understand what your problem is with these, you can disable them.
transitions.ini + a minimalistic theme can do the job.

Quote:

And I have no icons and no widgets on desktop.

Well then, disable the panoramic feature.

Quote:

Gestures support is also excessive. Tap, double tap and tap-hold are quite enough. Drag-and-drop seems to be unnecessary, too.

This is fairly weird to me, but don't let me stop you!

Wikiwide 2010-07-03 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venemo (Post 739155)
You might want to edit the transitions.ini file to disable those.

I have already.

Quote:

The app manager is for people who like a GUI better than a terminal.

I like GUI better than a command-line, but the Hildon App Manager is just too limited.

Quote:

There are other file managers in the repositories.

Maybe, I'll get one of them. But how do I uninstall the default one?

Quote:

If you don't know about them, how can you tell that they are what you want?

I have read in Wikipedia that they are all light-weight. The question is, which of them is the most minimalistic and touch-friendly?

Quote:

You might consider downloading a theme which does exactly this.

Theme doesn't change the fact that the desktop environment is overly complex. And well, I have tried to make such a theme, but black color can hardly be removed. For instance, transparent titlebar becomes black.

Quote:

Hildon already uses Matchbox.

That's one of the best things about Hildon.

Quote:

Alhough I don't understand what your problem is with these, you can disable them.
transitions.ini + a minimalistic theme can do the job.

Well, minimalistic theme is hardly possible. Menu still has black color around it; close button is taken from default theme; etc.

Quote:

Well then, disable the panoramic feature.

How?

Quote:

This is fairly weird to me, but don't let me stop you!

:-)

radiochickenwax 2010-07-03 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 739131)

File manager is too limited, Sketch can neither resize nor zoom image, Photographs' editor saves edited png into jpg, etc... Too much eye-candy and not enough functionality. I use Fennec to see the files which aren't seen by File Manager, and vi to edit them if needed.

I pretty much just use emacs and gimp1.2 for most everything that I want to do at present. This is dated, I know, but it's what I do. I don't like having to use the debian chroot if possible, but I'm not ready to go native yet. I've only had the device for a week, and AFAIK, the FSO software doesn't work with the n900 GSM hardware yet.

As far as the default maemo terminal goes, it would be nice to replace busybox. This is another reason I find myself opening the chroot.

(Back to the window maximization problem):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 739131)

It's due to window manager, Matchbox. It's mostly used for devices with such small screens that there is no point in having two windows opened simultaneously. However, N900 has quite large screen, so yes, for multitasking matchbox isn't the best choice.

Yes, I suppose that on start-up everything is called from /etc/init.d. At the same time, the scripts in /etc/init.d call out other scripts from /etc/osso-af-init and binaries from /usr/bin. Right now I suppose that Hildon is started in /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop. Before editing it, backup everything from N900, so that you can re-flash it in case of problems.

Ok. My ignorance is showing. (This is my second post to this forum).

I could have sworn that I used Matchbox on the Zaurus pdaXrom where windows were not forced to be full screen. Then again, that might have been openbox, not matchbox. It was a long time ago, and my memory is not so good.

If what you say is true, all the more reason that it should not be too difficult to replace matchbox with fluxbox. Or whatever-box. Even gnome or kde.

However, I haven't really looked into the startup scripts closely, and I don't really know what starts the window manager. I will be trying to figure this out in my spare time, but hopefully someone could lend some pointers in the meantime.

Wikiwide 2010-07-03 04:50

Some more hints:

while hildon-desktop is started from /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop,

matchbox is started from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox

radiochickenwax 2010-07-03 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 739241)
Some more hints:

while hildon-desktop is started from /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop,

matchbox is started from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox

So, is the solution to my problem of all windows being maximized as simple as building the fluxbox sources and replacing the call to matchbox with a call to fluxbox?

I guess I need to setup a scratchbox SDK and find out.

I still find it hard to believe that we're the only few who didn't care for hildon-desktop though.

F2thaK 2010-07-03 06:02

you want a simple (shittty) phone...... why the F*** did you buy the N900 then?

you sir, are an odd one!

hmmmmmmmmmm.. this lambo is nice, but i think i can make it faster by ripping its insides out and putting in a 6 cylinder engine !!

u want simple? buy simple!

XD

radiochickenwax 2010-07-03 20:59

I realize you are probably just flaming or trolling for some unknown reason, but this is a very unfriendly and unhelpful attitude imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 739268)
you want a simple (shittty) phone...... why the F*** did you buy the N900 then?

I don't think anyone here wants a simple phone. Personally I want a more standardized interface to Xorg in which windows can be resized. I'm sorry that offends you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 739268)
u want simple? buy simple!
XD

Are you aware of any phoneOS in the market today that allows one to resize windows? If so I'm all ears.

radiochickenwax 2010-07-05 22:32

This is not just me bumping this thread. I think I might be getting closer to replacing Hildon without breaking the system, and wanted to share.

I finally setup my scratchbox SDK/emulator, but I haven't built an alternate window manager yet, nor tried to install a prebuilt package.

This might be unnecessary, since I also found the repository that contains some prebuilt window managers.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43188

(However none of the desktop environments seem to have dependencies satisfied. This goes for gnome, KDE xfce4 and LXDE.

Fluxbox is not installable either, but I did manage to install the blackbox window manager. I still don't know how to run it.)

Lastly, here is a way of installing fluxbox on the n810 running mer:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentation/Fluxbox

however, this does not apply to maemo/n900, since the startup scripts are quite different. For example, /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager does not exist.

Wikiwide 2010-07-05 23:41

My thoughts about startup scripts:
hildon-desktop is started in /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop
and matchbox-window-manager is started in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox

I managed to install JWM, but it cannot run at all because it doesn't find fonts. It wants courier, preferably as core X11 font, and cannot find it.

Now I will try installing blackbox, possibly.

I don't have emulator, so I would be glad if you tried to change these startup scripts; I don't dare.

> I still don't know how to run it.)
Maybe, /usr/local/bin/blackbox? During "make install" it might say where it put it.

radiochickenwax 2010-07-06 00:06

The only documentation I've been able to find so far on hacking maemo init scripts is
http://wiki.maemo.org/Advanced_booting#Initfs_hacking
and this does not pertain to n900.

I've never been very good at debugging init scripts, but hildon-desktop is not just started in the file

/etc/init.d/hildon-desktop

I replaced all occurrences of matchbox-window-manager and hildon-desktop with /usr/bin/blackbox in the files

/etc/init.d/hildon-desktop
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/04b_start_matchbox

This causes blackbox to startup on reboot; (much faster) but then something else comes along and kills the blackbox process and the hildon-desktop process starts up somehow.

Also, there are no occurrences of either "matchbox" or "blackbox" running in the shell command

ps -Af

which is confusing and leads me to believe that hildon does not use matchbox at all. There are also two occurrences of the hildon-desktop process running for some reason.

so I'm at a loss currently as to how to prevent hildon from running. I'm thinking that something in /etc/init.d causes this, and it might be one of

/etc/init.d/af-base-services
/etc/init.d/af-services
/etc/init.d/af-startup

which all interact with the directory

/etc/osso-af-init/

I'm going to try just moving these files out of /etc/init.d and see if blackbox can survive.

I don't think the SDK installation procedure here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...l_Installation
runs a complete emulator, and that it would be better to run the image in QEMU or something similar.
http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/

However, I'm just editing /etc/init.d directly on the n900 for now, (which is a little scary)

Wikiwide 2010-07-06 00:33

Two hildon-desktop s: if one has problems, the second restarts it; just protecting each other.

/etc/X11/Xsession.post
has 20hildon-desktop and 21hildon-desktop-wait

20... maybe, launches second hildon-desktop and 21... just says to the OS whether desktop is started and ready

Please, don't delete
/etc/init.d/af-base-apps
/etc/init.d/af-services
/etc/init.d/af-startup

The last starts WiFi and bluetooth, if I understand right.

None of them launches Hildon.

If you have already deleted them, I hope N900 isn't broken completely, but you need either to reflash or to return the files back (if you have backup).