maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish 3.0.3 Hossa (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100728)

Bundyo 2019-04-24 16:28

Sailfish 3.0.3 Hossa

Hossa has been released in Early Access with many fixes, including WiFi drain and proximity sensor. Most notable feature for me is Gecko upgrade to ESR 45 - not much but still something for now.

Release notes
Changelog

EDIT: 3.0.3.9 now released to all subscribers

Jedibeeftrix 2019-04-24 16:32

Re: Sailfish 3.0.3 Hossa EA

dear lord, the browser needs some fixes! fingers crossed.

peterleinchen 2019-04-24 16:43

Hossa

the first thing coming to my mind :D

wolke 2019-04-24 18:54

maybe one day they'll fix ofono so that the phone doesnt mysteriously stop getting calls or texts for hours, every single day

carlosgonz 2019-04-24 19:43

ultra slow the sailfish server updates :mad: i just need to forget the 38 gecko nightmare.
also i do not care what features is adding to x.a.2; i will never buy a x.a.2 to using sf-os if jolla not complete the features promised to sony-xperia-x including the nest of bug :mad:

chilango 2019-04-24 19:51

And still no VoIP Sip integrated in OS :(

pichlo 2019-04-24 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolke (Post 1556309)
maybe one day they'll fix ofono so that the phone doesnt mysteriously stop getting calls or texts for hours, every single day

That has honestly never happened to me.

What has happened was that the phone rebooted in my pocket about 20 times in one day in Legoland. It could not handle the public WiFi provided there that required going through a login portal each time the signal was lost and found again, presumably as I was moving between access points. I do not know what exactly prompted the reboot. Whether it was the browser window timing out or too many browser windows open. I never saw it happening, only that it rebooted again.

wolke 2019-04-24 20:18

the random disconnect bug affects a lot of people. i think it has to do with me working at home, because it only happens after about 12 hours in the same spot.
i have to remember to toggle airplane mode on/off every half hour or so to find out that i have text messages waiting. its the worst, stupidest bug ive ever had with any cellphone or mobile os

https://together.jolla.com/question/...es-since-201x/

pichlo 2019-04-24 20:25

Wow. That sounds bad indeed. A "modern" "smart" phone not capable of what my first mobile could some 25 years ago, that is really shameful. I guess I am lucky I have never observed this.

robthebold 2019-04-24 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1556301)
dear lord, the browser needs some fixes! fingers crossed.

This is my hope as well. Browser compatibility is monotonically degrading. I can no longer load the web page generated by my Home Assistant device with Sailfish browser. And a local TV news station's website regularly locks up the browser and sometimes the phone to the point that I've blacklisted the URL in hosts just so I don't jack up my phone when I don't have time to get everything reset and working again. Or the indiegogo page that shows up blank, but that's probably saved me some money . . . so it's not all bad.

BTW, did everybody notice last month that Python was upgraded to ver 3.7 in Ooolalaka? I did read the release notes but must have blown right by that part.

ljo 2019-04-24 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1556332)
BTW, did everybody notice last month that Python was upgraded to ver 3.7 in Ooolalaka? I did read the release notes but must have blown right by that part.

Yes, it was clear in notes that python3 was upgraded 3.4->3.7.
Still patiently waiting for fixes for some apps not working with 3.7. Rpncalc also broke with that release and is urgently needed in my daily usage, so might need to fix it eventhough maintainer promised an update.

The gecko bump to esr45 is getting me back a large number of captcha protected sites, so very pleased with that.

robham 2019-04-25 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1556302)
Hossa

This was my share: Hossa Hossa

Metsämies 2019-04-25 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1556302)
Hossa

I think this is the correct answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltQOvXNuWyU

http://hossa.fi/?lang=en

lal 2019-04-25 09:06

I could not type tweets with Sailfish Browser. Typing space after a word makes the preceding word disappear in the tweet entry field. Hope the update fixes this.

mosen 2019-04-25 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lal (Post 1556349)
I could not type tweets with Sailfish Browser. Typing space after a word makes the preceding word disappear in the tweet entry field. Hope the update fixes this.

Nope, bug is still present, just tested for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556314)
What has happened was that the phone rebooted in my pocket about 20 times in one day in Legoland.

That sounds like a bug solved in 3.02 where too many available APs crash the system?
I can confirm this as solved.
It happened to me at each and every tradefair last year (probably each booth with its own wlan ap) but not after 3.0.2 anymore.

EDIT: Could also be that the behaviour changed when i switched form X to XA2 though now that i am thinking about more.

cy8aer 2019-04-25 10:07

"Hossa" only reminds me of bad experiences in my youth...

https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=smh834dsYu8

(Product names and the effects on other countries - and duplicate effects on not reading all posts...)

cy8aer 2019-04-25 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lal (Post 1556349)

But Deepl now works :)

Kabouik 2019-04-25 11:05

Using "devel-su sfos-upgrade 3.0.3.8" and upgrading from 3.0.1.11, I am stuck at "[75 %] [Install] sailfish-ease-vkb 1.0.2-8 [100 %]".

I had no idea this package could cause issues with upgrades. What can I do now? What happens if I just interrupt the process with Ctrl+C in the terminal?

mosen 2019-04-25 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1556353)
Using "devel-su sfos-upgrade 3.0.3.8" and upgrading from 3.0.1.11, I am stuck at "[75 %] [Install] sailfish-ease-vkb 1.0.2-8 [100 %]".

First time i read "sfos-upgrade" as cli command tbh :o

Kabouik 2019-04-25 12:40

It's a third-party script, not a vanilla command, but it just automates ssu re, version --dup, and steps like disabling Patchmanager patches.

I interrupted the process, removed sailfish-ease-vkb and ran sfos-upgrade 3.0.3.8 again. Seems to have completed the installation this time, I'll see after reboot if everything is broken.

pichlo 2019-04-25 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1556350)
That sounds like a bug solved in 3.02 where too many available APs crash the system?
I can confirm this as solved.

Well, I can confirm it was definitely happening to me in 3.0.2.8.
I have not yet had an opportunity to test it in 3.0.3.x.

Quote:

EDIT: Could also be that the behaviour changed when i switched form X to XA2 though now that i am thinking about more.

Possibly. My Jolla 1 has a teensy-weensy bit less resources :)

lal 2019-04-25 15:37

Quote:

Nope, bug is still present, just tested for you.

Ah, sad!
Thanks for testing. Can burn my hope now :D

pichlo 2019-04-25 18:12

A curious observation. I was watching a YouTube video in Browser for about 10 minutes and when finished, I navigated to another site (TMO, for those curious ones ;)). Then I decided to close Browser, which I always do by closing all open tabs to avoid Browser opening them again the next time. I only had one tab open anyway. But, what would you know, tapping on the square in the Browser bottom bar did not bring the list of tabs as expected. Oh no. It brought the unlock screen where you need to tap your PIN.

If I understand it correctly, my screen timed out while I was watching the video but the video playback prevented it. But some flag was set somewhere that the screen had timed out and so the unlock screen was shown at the nearest opportunity.

I have seen it happening on other occasions with other apps that keep the screen alive, such as Pure Maps during navigation. In such cases, navigating to the home screen is greeted with the login prompt. Annoying, as it does not match the user's expectation (the screen has never gone dark, why on earth do you want me to unlock it?), but at least understandable. But this? I never left Browser. Navigating from YouTube to TMO did not prompt me to unlock the screen. Only opening a different view in Browser (the tabs list) did. As if that counted as trying to switch to another application. Positively weird.

ajalkane 2019-04-25 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556375)
Then I decided to close Browser, which I always do by closing all open tabs to avoid Browser opening them again the next time. I only had one tab open anyway.

Nothing to do with the subject of your post, but I couldn't resist giving a tip to fellow tab closer. There's a setting that the browser closes all tabs on exit automatically: Settings -> Apps -> Browser -> Close all tabs on exit.

pichlo 2019-04-25 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1556380)
Nothing to do with the subject of your post, but I couldn't resist giving a tip to fellow tab closer. There's a setting that the browser closes all tabs on exit automatically: Settings -> Apps -> Browser -> Close all tabs on exit.

I know. I prefer to close my tabs manually, to keep the flexibility of sometimes remembering them for the next time ;)

lal 2019-04-26 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556375)
I only had one tab open anyway. But, what would you know, tapping on the square in the Browser bottom bar did not bring the list of tabs as expected. Oh no. It brought the unlock screen where you need to tap your PIN.

If I understand it correctly, my screen timed out while I was watching the video but the video playback prevented it. But some flag was set somewhere that the screen had timed out and so the unlock screen was shown at the nearest opportunity.

Has always been the case I think, or ever since I started using Sailfish, from ver 2.x. I thought it to be weird at first. But in some way, it felt logical or quite fine. If you do not interact with screen, it locks the device, but since the video is playing and is in focus, screen does not blank. Access is limited to that particular browser tab. You might have left the video playing and left the phone unattended, which would be foolish I agree, in which case anyone could grab the device and access some already open private tabs or other data unless it is protected as it is now.

stickymick 2019-04-26 09:10

:D :p Oh crap!! That's torn it LOL
Had to update my Xperia X via terminal, but forgot to un-apply patches :D
Now can't enable/disable Extra Folder icons and Lockscreen analogue clock. Daaah.
Oh well. Hoping to get an XA2 sometime soon anyway.

pichlo 2019-04-26 11:27

Can't you just reinstall the "offending" patches?

stickymick 2019-04-26 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556400)
Can't you just reinstall the "offending" patches?

No. They show up as installed in the web catalog and won't re-install.
All the other patches still work fine, it's just those two.

pichlo 2019-04-26 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1556404)
They show up as installed in the web catalog and won't re-install.

That's my bugbear too, Patchmanager refusing to reinstall existing patches. It can upgrade but not reinstall the same version. You have to uninstall them first. If PM refused to dfo that, you can try manually from the CLI.

paulkondo 2019-04-26 13:55

Browser

Moin

i have a curious problem,
the browser cannot refresh two of my favourite sites.
after upgrade to hossa, i refresh "m.spiegel.de" but i get always site from 25.4.19 ( Bremen-Munich 0:0 LIVE-TIcker)

also an other site.

I assume during the update i have not closed the browser with this sites online...but this are really the reason ?

any hints?

btw: i use a 200 GB from sandisk, formatting (ext4) no problem, fileman and filebrowser no problem, but system cannot backup ? :-(

thanks for help

paulkondo

Kabouik 2019-04-26 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1556404)
No. They show up as installed in the web catalog and won't re-install.
All the other patches still work fine, it's just those two.

For what it's worth, I did unapply patches before upgrading, but there are some that I cannot install anymore (despite the Developper mode being enabled in Patchamanager3): "Mail Message Title" and "Extend number of days in Weather forecast widget".

By the way, I cannot find any "Extra folder icons" either in Storeman or in the Webcatalog. Where did you get that? I would love to use this, some of the icon sets I like have folder icons that I hate.

pichlo 2019-04-26 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1556410)
"Extend number of days in Weather forecast widget"

Guilty as charged :(

I did not consider it a high priority since Hossa increased the number in landscape by default. At least on my Jolla 1 it is 5 in portrait and 7 in landscape. But I can look into it now that I see there is demand :)

EDIT:
In case you want to know, the reason "Developer mode" in Patchmanager has no effect on this patch is because I made it dependent on the module it is actually patching (as I believe all patches should be written), not on the OS version. The OS version is a far too blunt a weapon.

robthebold 2019-04-26 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by lal (Post 1556398)
Has always been the case I think, or ever since I started using Sailfish, from ver 2.x. I thought it to be weird at first. But in some way, it felt logical or quite fine. If you do not interact with screen, it locks the device, but since the video is playing and is in focus, screen does not blank. Access is limited to that particular browser tab. You might have left the video playing and left the phone unattended, which would be foolish I agree, in which case anyone could grab the device and access some already open private tabs or other data unless it is protected as it is now.

I've never seen this behavior, and I frequently let long videos run to pass the time while plodding along on the treadmill. Does this only happen if a lock code is set? I mean, there wouldn't be an unlock code screen to show, but it doesn't show the "slide me out of the way" screen either.

olf 2019-04-26 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1556412)
[...] Does this only happen if a lock code is set?

AFAICS, yes.

Kabouik 2019-04-26 23:48

Thanks for the update Pichlo.

jenix 2019-04-27 07:13

Anyone else having issues with battery drain after the 3.0.3 Update? My Xperia X went down from 1.5 days to around 9 hours, which is not enough to survive a day :(
Will try to figure out, what the culprit is. Are there any battery statistics for that?

Jedibeeftrix 2019-04-27 07:58

does anybody else have a problem with GPS on the XA2(Plus or otherwise)?

Started with 3.0.1, and could not get any of three mapping clients on SFOS to find 'me'. Same problem with 3.0.2. Wondering if the situation will continue with 3.0.3?

Basically have mapping, but no nvigation as the phone cannot get a lock on where I am.

stickymick 2019-04-27 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1556410)
By the way, I cannot find any "Extra folder icons" either in Storeman or in the Webcatalog. Where did you get that? I would love to use this, some of the icon sets I like have folder icons that I hate.

It's definitely in Storeman. It's one of Schturman's patches, called: Add more folder icons.

stickymick 2019-04-27 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenix (Post 1556432)
Anyone else having issues with battery drain after the 3.0.3 Update? My Xperia X went down from 1.5 days to around 9 hours, which is not enough to survive a day :(
Will try to figure out, what the culprit is. Are there any battery statistics for that?

Noticed mine had gone down to 92% from a full charge in a matter of a couple of hours yesterday.
The changelog did state a Wi-Fi battery drain had been fixed.