maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   n810 USB adapter and host mode made easy (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14092)

tz1 2007-12-30 14:52

n810 USB adapter and host mode made easy

The hard part is getting a cable with the A sense, however this adapter is a good place to start:

(Links adjusted to use ASINs so should work)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y032X8

They also have a power adapter (the ultra-tiny to something much more common):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RFX24

(Note handling is charged once, so it is cheaper to get multiples to save on shipping if you can get them from the same place).

The above cable adapts the micro-B to the far more common mini-b and is small enough to carry with you.

For host mode, a mini-b to female-a is useful:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y6UL5E

To make the micro-mini adapter cable into a host mode, carefully strip off the outer sheath and the metal shielding between the connectors. This will expose 5 wires - the usual red/green/white/black for USB, and brown for the host/perpheral sense.

Strip the insulation from the black and brown wires in the middle (carefully, using a lighter will melt - try not to burn - the insulation making it easy to strip).

Short the wires (and solder them!), and you now have a host mode cable. If you are ambitious , add a switch between the two wires so it can be used either way.

I didn't redo the shielding, but did use electrical tape over the wires.

Most "keychain" flash drives will work without external power. I keep a microSD in adapter in the female-a slot on my adapter chain so I can easily copy files betwen a PC and the n810 without having to worry about plugging in the n810 itself.

It will enumerate (recognize and use) hubs which can provide lots of power. You can even use that power to charge the N810 using the other adapter cable. It will give a "Hub not supported" notification. Then you can plug nearly any disk into the hub and it will mount. (you might need ext2/3 for Linux drives, it doesn't see mac partitions, but will recognize FAT iPods - will someone port GtkPod?).

Compiling more kernel modules adds more options. sr_mod.ko and cdrom.ko will allow you to access CD/DVD drives, but you will need to mount them manually. isofs.mod and ufs.mod will be needed to see files in most cases.

My EVDO modem (a UM-150) is recognized as is a serial adapter, both come up as /dev/ttyACM0, but there seems to be an interrupt problem with the cdc_acm.ko module - the serial adapter works (far better in a powered hub), but the UM-150 (requires powered hub) has problems with repeated characters or chatter. The UM-150's microSD is recognized without any problem though.

yabbas 2007-12-30 17:33

Re: n810 USB adapter and host mode made easy

Good info ;)

If amazon.uk don't have them then these USB dongles are available to the UK through dealextreme.com as well. With the dollar to sterling rates being the way they are today, you're in for a bargain!

Charging dongles are available in Poundland (at least, in the Croydon Pundland they are!) They do a number of them with a retractable USB charger cable, VERY good value for money.

jibanes 2007-12-30 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by tz1 (Post 117786)
The hard part is getting a cable with the A sense, however this adapter is a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...T21EQ&v=glance

They also have a power adapter (the ultra-tiny to something much more common):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...T21EQ&v=glance

(Note handling is charged once, so it is cheaper to get multiples to save on shipping).

The above cable adapts the micro-B to the far more common mini-b and is small enough to carry with you.

For host mode, a mini-b to female-a is useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Mini-Ma...9025459&sr=8-1

To make the micro-mini adapter cable into a host mode, carefully strip off the outer sheath and the metal shielding between the connectors. This will expose 5 wires - the usual red/green/white/black for USB, and brown for the host/perpheral sense.

Strip the insulation from the black and brown wires in the middle (carefully, using a lighter will melt - try not to burn - the insulation making it easy to strip).

Short the wires (and solder them!), and you now have a host mode cable. If you are ambitious , add a switch between the two wires so it can be used either way.

I didn't redo the shielding, but did use electrical tape over the wires.

Most "keychain" flash drives will work without external power. I keep a microSD in adapter in the female-a slot on my adapter chain so I can easily copy files betwen a PC and the n810 without having to worry about plugging in the n810 itself.

It will enumerate (recognize and use) hubs which can provide lots of power. You can even use that power to charge the N810 using the other adapter cable. It will give a "Hub not supported" notification. Then you can plug nearly any disk into the hub and it will mount. (you might need ext2/3 for Linux drives, it doesn't see mac partitions, but will recognize FAT iPods - will someone port GtkPod?).

Compiling more kernel modules adds more options. sr_mod.ko and cdrom.ko will allow you to access CD/DVD drives, but you will need to mount them manually. isofs.mod and ufs.mod will be needed to see files in most cases.

My EVDO modem (a UM-150) is recognized as is a serial adapter, both come up as /dev/ttyACM0, but there seems to be an interrupt problem with the cdc_acm.ko module - the serial adapter works (far better in a powered hub), but the UM-150 (requires powered hub) has problems with repeated characters or chatter. The UM-150's microSD is recognized without any problem though.

Doesn't nokia sell a craddle or any pre-made cable to do so? That'd be surprising, no?

mleeds 2008-01-04 04:31

Well, this sort of works. In all cases I get the following message:

USB device not supported

USB thumb drives are however subsequently recognized. However, connecting a USB-CF reader and CF card gets this message:

Unable to connect, no file system available

The card in question does have a useable FAT file system. I've also tried other card readers, other cards, and in all cases get the - no file system available - message.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, suggestions; all welcomed. I'd really like to be able to use the N810 to view photos off the CF cards my camera uses.

mleeds 2008-01-04 04:58

Spoke too soon, did too little testing. Short version is that it works. Slightly longer version is that where the card was formatted seems to make a difference. I can now view non-raw images created on my camera. Takes a little while to fully render, but works quite well. Lots of connectors in the mix: micro to mini with the host mod, mini to standard, Female to Female adapter, and finally the CF card reader.

XooH 2008-01-04 14:43

Hi tz1.
There is no need to tweak OS / kernel / drivers in any way ?
Is it just a matter of USB cable ?
XooH

tz1 2008-01-04 21:12

For mass storage and at least the Linksys USB100M ethernet controller, they work with the stock setup. No kernel modules or modifications needed. A few things will need a powered hub (injectors don't work as the device says it needs X mA, and if that is too much the n810 will not connect it). Note even the iPod and some mass storage devices will need this. Also, Mac iPods won't work because they have both different partitioning AND use hfsplus for a filesystem.
About half of the flash keys i've tried and roughly half the CF/SD/XD card readers don't need the powered hub.

(One device which did need a kernel module worked much better with a powered hub, but would connect and be recognized without one).

Latest Experiments:

The WiSpy does connect (anyone up to porting the viewer program?), as does a Zeevo USB Audio to Bluetooth (looks like an audio device and is supposedly supported with esd).

XooH 2008-01-05 10:53

Thanks tz1.
As my N810 is currently beeing on its way home (i.e. _MY_ home ;-) I'm interrested.
Unfortunately, neither Amazon nor dealextreme.com will ship those cables to France (yes, that's where I am).
Will keep searching, and if anyone has any info, will be of great value.
XooH

tz1 2008-01-05 13:05

Google for "skn6252a" - that is the motorola part number (stamped on the connector) for the Micro-to-Mini adapter. Many, many places come up.

scanman717 2008-01-05 14:50

tz1 - WiSpy is the main tool that I would like to use... Have you tried the curses version of the tool?? That would suffice for me for the time being..

sub0 2008-01-05 15:38

I am confused about somthing...If the n810 is seen as a host can I buy a min usb to female usb adapter and hook my cell phone up to it and use internet sharing that way?

bilofsky 2008-01-05 19:20

tz1 - Could the same thing be accomplished by getting two USB extension cables (male A to female A), cutting them apart, and connecting the female halves? Then plug that into the USB cable supplied with the N810?

tz1 2008-01-05 21:32

sub0: Your cell phone should work but you may have to manually arrange for the ppp connection to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0. The ttyUSB0 might need the airprime and/or usbserial kernel module. ttyACM0 uses cdc_acm. Note that the cell phone might request enough power so as to require the external powered hub. Also some of these modules have acted strangely, but I haven't had time to recompile everything to verify it. So the answer is that there is no technical hardware reason the USB cell phone hookup would not work (allowing for power). The software might need some tweaking to get everything to work.

bilofsky: The n810 detects host mode by a plug which shorts pin 4 (sense) and pin
5 (ground) together. The stock cable doesn't do this, nor does it bring out pin 4 to where it would be accessible. You can however do it like they do on the n800 where you use a shell script to switch between OTG/Peripheral and host mode in software. The shell script mode switch trick does work on the n810, then a female-to-female adapter would work as you said. I actually have several M-F A extension cables in pieces and I tried it this way before I got the Motorola adapter.

tz1 2008-01-05 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by scanman717 (Post 121359)
tz1 - WiSpy is the main tool that I would like to use... Have you tried the curses version of the tool?? That would suffice for me for the time being..

I'd love to, but my development ubuntu laptop had a screen crack and is out for repair. I downloaded the files though, so when it gets back I'll give it a try (of if desperate enough, get the toolchain working on my MacBookPro). Or if I'm really desperate, set up the toolchain on the n810 (I have the full toolchain for a Zaurus on my Zaurus!)

It is probably the first thing I will try to get working. I also need to find out why I can't mount the hfsplus partition from my iPod using loopback, and some other kernel modules.

It would also be nice if someone could get USB (peripheral mode) networking going on the n810 - something is preventing it from working like the n800 does in the howto.

ag2 2008-01-05 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by tz1 (Post 121527)
sub0: Your cell phone should work but you may have to manually arrange for the ppp connection to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0. The ttyUSB0 might need the airprime and/or usbserial kernel module. ttyACM0 uses cdc_acm. Note that the cell phone might request enough power so as to require the external powered hub. Also some of these modules have acted strangely, but I haven't had time to recompile everything to verify it. So the answer is that there is no technical hardware reason the USB cell phone hookup would not work (allowing for power). The software might need some tweaking to get everything to work.

bilofsky: The n810 detects host mode by a plug which shorts pin 4 (sense) and pin
5 (ground) together. The stock cable doesn't do this, nor does it bring out pin 4 to where it would be accessible. You can however do it like they do on the n800 where you use a shell script to switch between OTG/Peripheral and host mode in software. The shell script mode switch trick does work on the n810, then a female-to-female adapter would work as you said. I actually have several M-F A extension cables in pieces and I tried it this way before I got the Motorola adapter.

BTW, the female A-A female adapter can be had for about $1.00 from dealextreme.com, including shipping.

bilofsky 2008-01-06 03:24

tz1 - Thanks for your great work. I have ordered the cables and look forward to trying this. If it works, I'll have a way to FTP vacation photos from my camera SD card through a USB reader for safekeeping on my ISP.

I see in another post that the N810 has USB 2.0. The F-F adapter says it's 1.1 but if it's just wires, that wouldn;t be enough to slow down an otherwise-2.0 connection, would it?

Have you considered adding this to the wiki article on getting into USB host mode? This site would be more useful if more stuff was in the wiki.

tz1 2008-01-06 07:27

I have two separate articles on this on the wiki, one right after your link on the main page, and one describing the cable in accessories. Feel free to crosslink the articles or copy as appropriate - I'm a writer, perhaps someone is a better editor.

And 1.1 v.s. 2.0 generally is a quality issue which would not normally apply to a simple F-F adapter. Never say never, but it would be rare for such an adapter to cause any problems.

XooH 2008-01-07 12:51

I've ordered the cables thank you ! (anyone interested in where I found these, let me know here).
One more question : you say the "Linksys USB100M" works.
Could you develop ? (I've seen posts here in the forums that the N800 Web browser is trying to mount a Wifi connection anyway if a USB-Ethernet adapter plugged)
thx,
XooH

tz1 2008-01-07 17:22

"Develop" - I think you mean "elaborate"?

With the Linksys, it is another interface. I think the default route is still the Wifi if you don't disable it or do route commands on xterm after you do the ifconfig eth0 and/or udhcpc commands.

1. Connect USB100M.
2. do "ifconfig eth0 up" (insert inet st.at.ic.ip here if you use it)
3. do "udhcpc eth0"
4. adjust routes.

Now you are connected via wired ethernet.

Someone mentioned how to create a "DEFAULT" interface for the connection manager in the "USB Networking" howto or wiki, so that might work too, as well as some other tips about how to modify the network config files.

fredoll 2008-01-07 17:33

I am interested ;)

Fred

Quote:

Originally Posted by XooH (Post 122414)
I've ordered the cables thank you ! (anyone interested in where I found these, let me know here).
One more question : you say the "Linksys USB100M" works.
Could you develop ? (I've seen posts here in the forums that the N800 Web browser is trying to mount a Wifi connection anyway if a USB-Ethernet adapter plugged)
thx,
XooH

XooH 2008-01-08 08:36

I've ordered the following items, I found for shipping to France :

IMPORTANT NOTE : I have NOT tested those accessories in anyway yet ! I'll report here when done, with comments and humble advices.
Also: test this under you own responsability.

* The 5-pin "micro USB (EMU) (male) to mini USB (female) adapter"
(skn6252a, Motorola Charger Adapter) : not in stock, 2 days order to their supplier (http://www.expansys.fr/p.aspx?i=160903)
* An "ORA Networks USB Adaptor Male A to Male Mini 5"
(http://www.expansys.fr/p.aspx?i=110999)
At Expansys France (http://www.expansys.fr/)

* A female USB A - A female adapter (http://www.abix.fr/xxdisplayproduct.asp?ccode=081140)
* A powered USB HUB (http://www.abix.fr/xxdisplayproduct.asp?ccode=021251)
At Abix (http://www.abix.fr/)

XooH

bilofsky 2008-01-13 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleeds (Post 120525)
Slightly longer version is that where the card was formatted seems to make a difference.

Where/how did you format the card successfully?

I tried my XP PC, my Canon camera, and my Palm PDA, and all give "Unable to connect, no file system available."

boyledyl 2008-01-13 06:43

Hey guys i've been following a few posts here and consider myself a good computer user but hardly one to go into OS's and begin modifying things to add extras to a device. I am begining a worldwide traveling excursion lasting several years and am serching for the perfect device to bring with me. However in some situations i will be faced with no available wi-fi but a hardwire ethernet. How simple would it be for a pretty savvy windows user to get a hard wired ethernet connection up and running on the N810?

bilofsky 2008-01-13 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyledyl (Post 126633)
How simple would it be for a pretty savvy windows user to get a hard wired ethernet connection up and running on the N810?

I am planning to carry a WTR54GS travel router. At a cost of 8 oz. travel weight (plus cable) it provides untethered connection to an ethernet port.

boyledyl 2008-01-14 04:48

Yea i'm more looking to use something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3504463

Sabrent USB 2.0 Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 Adapter (M501-1330)

i have a strong feeling that something like this wouldn't work as a plug n play and would require some tweaking of the system. Has anyone got an adapter similar to the gigabit to work on the n810?

I want it to be something that would not need an external power source. So far i've seen that the n810 is capable of reading thumb drives and card readers via a usb adapter, which gives unlimited storage capabilities (which is great because this little guy is going to replace my ipod as well) and i understand the flash drives and readers don't require any modification of the system.

aremick 2008-01-14 20:17

Anyone tried a battery powered USB drive?

mleeds 2008-01-14 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilofsky (Post 126619)
Where/how did you format the card successfully?

I tried my XP PC, my Canon camera, and my Palm PDA, and all give "Unable to connect, no file system available."

Formatting in my Canon S70 seemed to do the trick for the card that was giving me issues.

I also connected various USB thumb drives, and once I acquired it, used a SD to CF adapter in a CF reader to test both reading full sized SD cards on the N810, and round tripping a SD-mini card from the camera to the N810 and back. Now I can shoot on SD mini and micro cards in the S70 (which takes CF cards) via the adapter and put the cards directly into the N810 to view the images.

tz1 2008-01-15 03:15

The Linksys compact USB 100M ethernet works without even a powered hub. You need to manually do "ifconfig eth0 inet xxx up" or "udhcpc eth0" to enable and/or get the address.

WiSpy works too, though I've had lockups. But the programs work, e.g. I've compiled the GTK version (non-hildonized) and it works:

http://homepage.mac.com/tz1/.cv/tz1/...ol_gtk-zip.zip

You will likely need to do "chmod +x spectool_gtk" after extracting it for it to work.

boyledyl 2008-01-15 16:31

Is there a certain microusb to regular usb connector to use? a quick search of connectors shows mainly ones that are used to charge a device through the microusb port via a usb connection.
here i one i found http://store.pchcables.com/2in1symiusbd.html

i wish it weren't so long though, i'd prefer a cable that was only a few inches long ideally.

What kind of adapter are you using to access a thumb drive?

bilofsky 2008-01-15 17:19

Success! The N810 recognized a USB flash drive that takes a CF card (MediaGear MGXC-100). It came right up in File Manager. Even lit up the little blue LED.

It doesn't recognize my Simpletech Bonzai SD flash drive, using any number of SD cards, formatted on the PC or in either of my cameras. I'll get another SD flash drive and try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyledyl (Post 128144)
Is there a certain microusb to regular usb connector to use?

Since that is a micro to USB adapter, it might not have the fifth wire to enable host mode. I'd guess that's why the OP used the two connectors described in his first post.

If you intend to solder the host mode sense wire, you'll need some length of cable. His assembly is only 5" long.

mleeds 2008-01-15 19:48

Using the cable assembly spec'ed by the OP, I used a sharp knife to remove the insulating jacket from about one inch of the cable in the middle and to also remove the insulation from the black and brown wires (again as spec'ed by the OP). A quick solder bridge and a little electrical tape and everything worked great. For those looking for the minimum additional length, consider these items from www.cyberguy.com

131-0598 A male to mini B male (eight inches)
plus
131-0934 A female to A female

or for an even shorter chain try
131-0589 USB ADAPTER AM/B MINI 5-PIN M

boyledyl 2008-01-15 20:29

consider these items from www.cyberguy.com

131-0598 A male to mini B male (eight inches)
plus
131-0934 A female to A female

or for an even shorter chain try
131-0589 USB ADAPTER AM/B MINI 5-PIN M[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------

So if i buy that combo, I will be able to hook up a usb flash drive and the n810 will recognize it? awesome. what is the biggest flash drive that the unit will read? 16gb? or the new 32gb?? or the unlimited budget 64gb thumb drive???

looking at this:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...vable%20Drives

or a pair of these:
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...i_sku=37540967

they both say they support linux, but does that mean it would work with the linux run on these tablets?

Graham Cobb 2008-01-15 21:27

I think an earlier poster mentioned this, but just to confim that it works for me: the easiest and cheapest (although not the shortest) option seems to be to buy an A-female to A-female gender changer and then use the cable that came with the device. As this is not a host mode cable you need to start an Xterm, become root and say:

Code:

echo host >/sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
to tell the software to work in host mode (you can set it back to otg mode in the same way later).

As the OTG spec invented the concept of switching modes, presumably someone will actually start selling a real OTG host mode cable with a micro connector and an A-female connector sometime. Until then, this works well enough for me.

Graham

gemniii42 2008-01-15 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Cobb (Post 128334)
I think an earlier poster mentioned this, but just to confim that it works for me: the easiest and cheapest (although not the shortest) option seems to be to buy an A-female to A-female gender changer and then use the cable that came with the device. As this is not a host mode cable you need to start an Xterm, become root and say:

<snip>

It's even easier (for me) to go to the Wiki (PLEASE use the Wiki) and get
Mara's stuff to switch.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008

bilofsky 2008-01-16 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilofsky (Post 128173)
It doesn't recognize my Simpletech Bonzai SD flash drive, using any number of SD cards, formatted on the PC or in either of my cameras. I'll get another SD flash drive and try it.

No success with a SanDisk MobileMate SD+ reader either.

Is anyone using an SD card to USB thumb drive that works in host mode?

petergunn 2008-01-16 01:24

Confirmed: Simpletech Bonzai does not work with n800 - tried various Sd cards. My generic SD card reader doesnt work either.

Dedicated flash sticks work fine. Maybe not enough power for the SD readers?

tz1 2008-01-16 01:42

The very small micro SD reader from fruper.com (and I've seen it from Meritline) works fine. I use it instead of plugging in the N810 directly.

The 1GB USB flash drive from microcenter also works.

bilofsky 2008-01-16 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by petergunn (Post 128441)
Maybe not enough power for the SD readers?

My MediaGear MGXC-100 CF reader works, and there's enough power to light its LED.

Do SD readers need more power?

Rocketman 2008-01-16 06:32

Spent a rather frustrating hour trying to get this to work. I have both a n800 and a n810 and am using the factory included micro and mini usb cables in conjunction with a A Female <-> A Female gender changer.

I am becoming root and then echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode to put each device into host mode. I then plug in my cable and on my n810 nothing happens, except I have to reboot or echo otg> yadayada to get my n810 back into otg mode. On my n800 I am able to get a thumbdrive working, so I know hostmode is working on my n800 at least. When I plug my WiSpy in and start spectool_gtk I can select my WiSpy from the device list but the application freezes and then causes my n800 to reboot 5-10 seconds later. Any ideas?

tz1 2008-01-16 13:26

The wispy (or the USB layer) is unstable - I'm using it in OTG mode and I have it plugged in before I startup spectool, but it still sometimes locks up.

You can try the flash drives in a powered hub. I've had success and failure with different drives - my belkin (which also works with the ipod camera connection) works with a CF, but I have a $5 SD reader which won't.

But a microSD flash drive (DealExtreme.com has them) works fine and I usually use it to transfer files instead of using the longer nokia cable.

Also note that the autoswitch for OTG may be more (or less) reliable with a particular drive or device. I'm generally using the modified micro to mini adapter.