maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Maemo meeting in Kokemäki: CANCELLED!!! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100921)

Maemish 2020-01-13 06:43

Maemo meeting in Kokemäki: CANCELLED!!!

Cancelled meeting. Hopefully new after corona pandemia.

I have been thinking of a Maemo meeting in Finland.

EDIT: A poll made by nonsuch which I should probably learn to manage. https://framadate.org/maemo-n900-meeting Password is the name of the Maemo 5 release.

EDIT ends.

Just some questions.

1. How many users are from Finland?

2. Where in Finland you are located (no need to give exact location)?

3. Would you like to have a meeting in Finland?

4. Would you like to have a one evening meeting or a weekend (fri-su)?

After this kind of information, we (I hope it is we, not just I, which would though make planning easier of course) could talk about:

A. The time and location

B. What the meeting would consist

C. Arrangements (food, transportation, sleeping facilities etc.)

And of course if there are people in other countries who would want to come it would be aloud. Just if they come in hundreds or thousands it should be informed early enough to have a conference hall booked (Hartwall Arena maybe?).

So... anyone?

Maemish 2020-01-13 12:43

Re: Maemo/N900 meeting in Finland?

As it seems there has not yet been a big fuzz about this I thought is there any way to reach the old users? Like a news post? Some have their private messages still forwarded to their current email address. How do I know? I have sent them a pm and they have answered even though haven't been here anymore for years.

Maemish 2020-01-14 15:03

Ok. So where would I want to meet myself? I think it will be on next friday. Goin to sleep at home.

juiceme 2020-01-14 15:22

A large meet locally would be really nice! Maybe you should create a poll of it, that way you could get quick estimate on how many people would be interested...?

Maemish 2020-01-14 16:20

Never created one. Thought that like this people who are interested could answer questions and have a discussion on matters.Don't really understand what would be the difference between this and poll, meaning benefits of it.

Koiruus 2020-01-14 18:43

As far as I know, there is only like five people who are:
a) actively lurking on TMO
b) still actively using N900

Maybe 3 of those people lives in Finland. So even though there is probably much more N900 lovers around, spreading the word to them may be difficult. About myself, my N900 died (broken usb port, only usable if I swap batteries), and I switched to Pro1. So even though still sympathize N900, I feel like it's over for me at least for a while. I believe it's the same for people; they have sweet memories of using N900, but still doesn't feel like meeting is necessary :D Too scary at least. But I'm quite sure that endso will soon be here to condemn my words and to prove that half of the world still uses Nxx0 because he as well still does.. :D So I believe you should invite endso to the gathering at least.

catbus 2020-01-14 21:08

+1 so 4 now...

Maybe not enough for Hartwall Arena?

Maemish 2020-01-15 10:06

We could drink Hartwall products!

juiceme 2020-01-15 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1564382)
We could drink Hartwall products!

Soft drinks, yes.
For malts I honestly have to say I prefer craft beers to the "massalaageri" of the larger breweries...

nonsuch 2020-01-15 21:51

1. Me. Not sure I count as a full-on N900 user though.

2. Pääkaupunkiseutu

3. Yep.

4. One evening

A. No preferences; obviously Friday/Saturday would be best

B. ???

C. Yes.

catbus 2020-01-15 22:06

We have Areena also here in Seinäjoki... ;)

ric9K 2020-01-15 23:18

Would come for sure but am too far.
Not many people respond present though...
And if you try to name it "How to transit from N900 to Pro1 without pain?" :D

Maemish 2020-01-16 05:22

I would not wanna come to that meeting (not having Pro1 and not gonna have soon). No banned subjects though except maybe TMO rules "No politics, no religion".

How many for:

A. Evening

B. Overnight

C. Weekend

And:

D. With sauna

mr_pingu 2020-01-16 20:15

It's not finland but stockholm would be doable for me now I am living in Norway. Actually, just checking, flying to helsinki is doable (financially) as well, as never been in that city I might take it as city trip aswell.

nonsuch 2020-01-16 20:46

I vote A. & definitely D. :D

On second thought:
If this attracts people from outside capital region I am of course not opposed to a longer meeting!

And I don't think we need forum rules IRL - nothing nicer than discussing politics after 5 crafty IPAs :o whatever you say, it's not enshrined forever on the www.

Does bashing Stephen Elop count as
a) politics
b) nostalgia
c) hacktivism
???

Maemish 2020-01-16 21:50

Bashing Stephen Elop is highly recommended. If this becomes as a weekend trip (fri-su) would someone has a summer cottage to use? My parents have one but it is in Kokemäki, 2.5h driving from the capital. But there would be enough space and a sauna. A small one (three at the time when not family members). It would be free to use and sleeping places to at least for 11 I think, couple more if needed. Three separate cottages on the same yard. With heating.

nonsuch 2020-01-18 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1564430)
My parents have one but it is in Kokemäki, 2.5h driving from the capital. But there would be enough space and a sauna.

That sounds about perfect!
Not in january though...

I don't have one.

Is it possible to have polls on TMO, to gauge how much serious interest there is?

Maemish 2020-01-18 20:57

Juiceme already suggested the same. Never made one so I don't know yet how. Any hints?

And I think maybe february-march axel. Opinion? O

ric9K 2020-01-18 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1564488)
That sounds about perfect!
Not in january though...

I don't have one.

Is it possible to have polls on TMO, to gauge how much serious interest there is?

If you make a doodle, you can even set a schedule to check who'd be present and when.
doodle.com

peterleinchen 2020-01-18 23:08

If you want a poll you can do it this way:
create a new thread, scroll down to the bottom and there you will find a little select box labeled 'poll', activate it and then iirc you will be asked in a second step about the poll question and options...

But this is only possible when about to create a thread.

I wish you all a lot of fun! :)

Maemish 2020-01-18 23:16

Sounds a bit too complicated to me at the moment . Why just continue with this thread. Thnere are less than ten on us it seems. Should be possible this way too.

1. Would it be ok to spend a weekend in my summer cottage or do you prefer only an evening meeting near Helsinki?

2. Do you prefer the time to be on february or march?

Lets continue with these.

Which would

mr_pingu 2020-01-19 08:01

1. Weekend,
2. Not really preference but some of weekends are already stuffed. For example the weekend of 1st March.

nonsuch 2020-01-19 15:04

March... too cold for summer cottage?
About the other point, I already said: prefer evening, but not opposed to overnight.

Maemish 2020-01-20 05:15

If I have time I will make a poll today.

pichlo 2020-01-20 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1564499)
If you want a poll you can do it this way:
create a new thread [...]

...or just edit the first post of the current thread.

peterleinchen 2020-01-20 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1564548)
...or just edit the first post of the current thread.

Are you sure?
To my best knowledge/brain cell memories this is not possible.

But maemish may try and tell us... :cool:

pichlo 2020-01-21 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1564561)
Are you sure?
To my best knowledge/brain cell memories this is not possible.

I thought I was, until you mentioned it.

Quote:

But maemish may try and tell us... :cool:
Hopefully.

Maemish 2020-01-21 10:48

No, it is not possible. I already almost made a pol with a new thread. But hesitated. When I make a poll I need for start to tag to add a poll with the thread and then decide how many questions it will have. Well at that moment wasn't sure. If I put too few can I add later, or if too many what to do with them. So before starting to make a poll I have to think the questions. So wasn't really ready to make that poll on the go in a bus as I thought.

And then another reason: When comes the moment to make that poll and questions? Nothing popped up when I tagged to use a poll with a thread. Peterleichen gave these instructions which included this mystic alphabetic code "iirc" which means nothing to me. I'm way more out than in with many basic stuff.

So not yet really knowing the right procedure to make a poll. Not giving up though. Just have moved and apartment is filled with boxes and things to do so the poll may take a while to appear. But it will in the end.

teroyk 2020-01-21 12:13

Meetings are good idea. I was impressed last year when there was small MSX-computer cruising from Helsinki-Stockholm, there was people even outside of Europe.

I might come, if it is next month or march, but hard to promise yet, because Helsinki is so south :)

mosen 2020-01-21 14:17

community Meetings are great, do it!

I advise to agree on 1-3 key points of discussion to get conversation start easily on the one hand.
On the other hand your meetings will be sparse and it is nice to say yourself there where things "accomplished" :D

The meetings i visited in Bonn where nice to get to know like minded people face to face but thinking back i would have loved to have brought some real questions i actually remember to have been discussed. Maybe next meetings tho.

ric9K 2020-01-21 14:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemish (Post 1564583)
... Peterleichen gave these instructions which included this mystic alphabetic code "iirc" which means nothing to me. I'm way more out than in with many basic stuff.

You think you are out, just get in: https://www.dictionary.com/e/acronyms/iirc/

Instead of a poll, and instead of doodle, you can also set up a simple calendar on framadate.org:

catbus 2020-01-21 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1564591)
community Meetings are great, do it!

I advise to agree on 1-3 key points of discussion to get conversation start easily on the one hand.
On the other hand your meetings will be sparse and it is nice to say yourself there where things "accomplished" :D

1. "Ompas hiano mökki sulla" - "What a great cottage you have"
2. Naiset - Women
3. Armeijajutut - Army Stuff

Sorry OT ;)

nonsuch 2020-01-22 19:26

We could just make a poll to ask who would come, and which weekends would suit them best.
Maemish, are you saying you can have the cottage on any weekend in February/March? And you wouldn't want to do it later?

Actually I already created the poll, with a password, but I'd like to hear back from Maemish first, maybe change it.

This is the text I thought of:
Quote:

Possibly during the next months, possibly in Maemish's summer cottage (200km NW of Helsinki, 100km N of Turku), possibly overnight or even the whole weekend.
If even one person comes from abroad or far up north, I think an overnight stay would be preferable.
Keep it modest, one night, Sat/Sun?

Every person can vote Yes/No/Maybe for each of the weekends offered.
That way we get
a) an overview of who's committed to come
b) a vote for the best dates

For the cottage I'd prefer a later date, springtime, when it's possible to sleep in a tent, maybe even go for a short swim before running back into the sauna. Well you can do the latter in winter too.

But let's see what Maemish has to say.

PS:
Bus connections are good and cheap from Helsinki.

PPS:
It's not really limited to N900 users, no? Maybe just "Maemo meeting" would be better?

mr_pingu 2020-01-22 20:54

I'll just chime in when we are able to pick a weekend :) Cottage would be really ideal and I think it won't be too cold, will it?

The cottages I have been where pretty warm when heated the fireplace :)

If february is stiøø on the schedule can I kindly ask that we don't wait too long with picking a weekend before the prices of tickets go up for me? :)

catbus 2020-01-22 21:20

I'll come if I can get my Driver to come along...

teroyk 2020-01-23 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1564658)
For the cottage I'd prefer a later date, springtime, when it's possible to sleep in a tent, maybe even go for a short swim before running back into the sauna. Well you can do the latter in winter too.

Summerholiday season can be good as well.
But let's see what Maemish has to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1564658)
It's not really limited to N900 users, no? Maybe just "Maemo meeting" would be better?

Maemo meeting would be good. It would be nice to see some different Maemo Leste devices.

Maemish 2020-01-23 17:41

Ok. Gonna suggest soon.

Maemish 2020-01-23 18:52

Ok. So I offer possibility to hold Maemo meeting in Finland in our summer cottage/house in Kokemäki. Possible weekends:
A. 6.-8.3.
B. 13.-15.3.
C. 20.-22.3.

The bigger cottage has room for five to sleep, the smalller cottage has for three and the smallest for three. so all together 11 beds/ sleeping places. All the cottages are warm with electricity.

The main cottage has a two person bedroom, two person sleeping balcony, kitchen with water and frigde with freezer, tv, radio, sauna, washing room and a water toilet. There is one bed in the dressing room for sauna. There is also puucee (cold toilet outside without water but with paper though).

People have to bring their own sheets. If you come from outside Finland sheets are arranged by me.

In my car there is space for four persons with luggages. I leave from Helsinki and hopefully early on friday, meaning between 12-14. Driving time from Helsinki is approximately 2,5-3h depending on how long stop we will make in Humppila Lasitehdas shopping mall with restaurant and a toilet.

Back to Helsinki we would leave depending what requirements people have. Hopefully about 12-13 o'clock.

Expencies for gasoline would be shared as well as main food supplies. Everyone can also have their own special munchies.

I have couple of suggestions as for food. Of course there could be sausages to grill in the owen but otherwise I suggest nachoplate style servings, tacos/tortillas, big slalads with either fish or chicken etc. Something which would be easy to make for many. And crepes and such. But if there is a chef who loves cooking or someone who wants to show how to make a salmon on an open fire that is possible also.

No washing machine for dishies so I would suggest to use disposable plates which would be recycled/burned to not use that much time for dishies (forks, knives,spoons, glasses and mugs would be washed).

So these are my offers and sugggestion, some depending on how many will come. Anyone? Suggestions for date for first but feel free to speak of other things too.

Maemish 2020-01-24 05:50

I hope the silence is because people are canceling appointments from their calendar to be sure not to miss the meeting no matter what weekend it will be, and not because of the communist kind arrangements I offered and suggested.

But I just can not afford to offer anything else than transportation means for four plus the place.

nonsuch 2020-01-24 07:17

Here's the poll:
https://framadate.org/maemo-n900-meeting
The password is the name of the Maemo 5 Release. You know, starts with an F...

I added the three dates, and the option to come Sat-Sun or Fri-Sun.

Here are buses from Helsinki.
Here are some more connections.

Could you also add the poll link to the first post of this thread?