maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] The One Ring (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41817)

epage 2010-01-22 13:51

[Announce] The One Ring (Google Voice Integration for Conversations and Phone)

I am pleased to officially announce The One Ring.

The One Ring is a plugin (Telepathy Connection Manager) that integrates Google Voice into Empathy, Maemo 4.1 RTComm, and Maemo 5 RTComm.

Features
  • Support for GV Contacts w/ Names
  • Support for system contacts (Maemo 5)
  • Support for sending/receiving from people not on contact list
  • Setting of presence
    • Away reduces the number of times poling the server
    • Hidden enables "Do Not Disturb" on GV
  • Sending a text
  • Receiving a text
  • Receiving voicemails in textform
  • Initiating a Google Voice callback
  • Logging for improved debugging
  • Command prompt for improved debugging

See

epage 2010-01-22 14:03

Re: [Announce] The One Ring

This is still only in extras-devel which can be a very dangerous place.

I am taking bug reports and suggestions for Empathy, Maemo 5, and Maemo 4.1 users.

If you wish to help fix bugs or add features, well, then I will help you no matter the platform :)

EDIT: This is no longer true for any pltform

epage 2010-01-22 15:01

I've already found 2 bugs.

(Cosmetic) The log claims updates are in ms when they are really in seconds.

(Potential Battery Drain) The state machine is broken such that it is always checking for new texts every 20s rather than taking longer as we get further away from the last message sent or received. It will be interesting to see what the batter ramifications are for this.

It won't be till tonight that I get these fixed.

DataPath 2010-01-22 15:13

Agh! My kittens! I can't haz cheezburger!

In all seriousness, looking forward to less runtime explody on Maemo 4.1 so I can try this out.

nilchak 2010-01-22 15:19

Great news epage.
I had mistakenly installed the One Ring before when it was still in the works and sadly it didn't do anything - except get a stern warning fronm you when we complained on the forums :-)

This time I am eager to try it out as I have been looking forward to when the kitten eating software will have its full and tame down a bit (for Maemo 5).

Kudos once again.

andy80 2010-01-22 16:00

Really a great news :)

les_garten 2010-01-22 16:05

Hi,
I installed this and can't find any trace of it? Other than in the app manager. Where's it at? How do you use it?

epage 2010-01-22 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 488912)
Hi,
I installed this and can't find any trace of it? Other than in the app manager. Where's it at? How do you use it?

If you are using maemo 4.1, I recommend uninstalling.

if you are on Maemo 5 and are completely uncomfortable with the command line, I recommend uninstalling.

If neither of the two above apply then you treat it just like MSN, Yahoo, GTalk, Skype, SIP, etc.
  • Click the status bar
  • Select the chat item which brings up "My availability"
  • Select "Accounts"
  • Select "New"
  • Look for "Google Voice" and select it
  • Enter username/password and click OK
  • Make sure, through your "Screen Name" that the callback number is the one you want
  • In the phone, enter a number in the dialpad and select "Google Voice"
  • In Conversations, go to the App Menu and select "Send IM to", enter the number and select "Google Voice"

karim0028 2010-01-22 17:37

BTW Great app! Thanks for your hard work!

I've been trying it out, is it possible to make a call from the contacts using OneRing? I was looking in my contacts and i dont see an option to use OneRing, it seems that it can only be used from the keypad...

Most folks dont make calls from the keypad they usually do so from contacts.. Being able to call from contacts would be great if possible.

epage 2010-01-22 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by karim0028 (Post 489050)
BTW Great app! Thanks for your hard work!

I've been trying it out, is it possible to make a call from the contacts using OneRing? I was looking in my contacts and i dont see an option to use OneRing, it seems that it can only be used from the keypad...

Most folks dont make calls from the keypad they usually do so from contacts.. Being able to call from contacts would be great if possible.

See "Maemo 5" -> "Known Issues" -> "Support for System Contacts" on the first post.

I thought I did what is needed to support this but something is lacking and I will need to do further work on it. I did not feel like it was something to hold up a beta though.

les_garten 2010-01-22 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 488929)
[*]Enter username/password and click OK[*]Make sure, through your "Screen Name" that the callback number is the one you want[*]In the phone, enter a number in the dialpad and select "Google Voice"[*]In Conversations, go to the App Menu and select "Send IM to", enter the number and select "Google Voice"[/LIST]

Hi,
Yes, N900, sorry! I am having trouble authenticating. I can authenyticate perfectly with Dial Central, but not with The ONE plugin.

The "Screen name" thing I am unclear about what you want there. Usually if screen name is different from username, it is just a nickname.

How do I troubleshoot the authentication problem?

Thanx for the tutorial by the way!

Les

epage 2010-01-22 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 489076)
Hi,
Yes, N900, sorry! I am having trouble authenticating. I can authenyticate perfectly with Dial Central, but not with The ONE plugin.

The "Screen name" thing I am unclear about what you want there. Usually if screen name is different from username, it is just a nickname.

How do I troubleshoot the authentication problem?

Thanx for the tutorial by the way!

Les

"Screen Name" is usually meant for an Alias or nickanme that can be shared with your contacts. Neither of those have meaning here. Instead I made it a way to configure the callback number for when making calls.

The best way to work out the authentication issue is to send me the log file which you can find information on that in the first post.

les_garten 2010-01-22 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 489090)
"Screen Name" is usually meant for an Alias or nickanme that can be shared with your contacts. Neither of those have meaning here. Instead I made it a way to configure the callback number for when making calls.

The best way to work out the authentication issue is to send me the log file which you can find information on that in the first post.

I deleted some files out of the cache and the log file rebooted and it connected! But I am not sure how to setup the forward and callback info. I am having calls fail.

12471567', 'outgoingNumber': '+15615551212'}
(13:29:05) DEBUG:gvoice.browser_emu:Performing download of https://www.google.com/voice/call/connect
(13:29:06) ERROR:channel.call:RequestStreams
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gtk_toolbox.py", line 248, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwds)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/channel/call.py", line 128, in RequestStreams
self._conn.session.backend.call(contactNumber)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 349, in call
self._parse_with_validation(page)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 721, in _parse_with_validation
validate_response(json)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 800, in validate_response
raise RuntimeError('There was a problem with GV: %s' % response)
RuntimeError: There was a problem with GV: {'data': {'code': 20}, 'ok': False}
(13:29:06) DEBUG:channel.call:Closing call

Thanx! Almost there!

epage 2010-01-22 18:35

A little anecdote. With PR1.1 on my n900 I am able to go over a day on a single charge. I'm not sure how much over since I end up charging anyways.

With The One Ring enabled and the 20s polling bug I got my battery down very low (not red yet) in about 5 hours.

les_garten 2010-01-22 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 489161)
A little anecdote. With PR1.1 on my n900 I am able to go over a day on a single charge. I'm not sure how much over since I end up charging anyways.

With The One Ring enabled and the 20s polling bug I got my battery down very low (not red yet) in about 5 hours.

I noticed since installing it gets Hungry Fast!

That One Guy 2010-01-22 18:43

Great app!

A little bit of a processor hog, though...

epage 2010-01-22 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 489175)
Great app!

A little bit of a processor hog, though...

As mentioned in other posts, there is a bug causing too frequent of updates that I can't get around to fixing till later. It can be a little slow due to network connection stuff. Other than that I have not actually run a CPU usage monitor to see how bad it does.

epage 2010-01-22 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 489157)
I deleted some files out of the cache and the log file rebooted and it connected! But I am not sure how to setup the forward and callback info. I am having calls fail.

12471567', 'outgoingNumber': '+15615551212'}
(13:29:05) DEBUG:gvoice.browser_emu:Performing download of https://www.google.com/voice/call/connect
(13:29:06) ERROR:channel.call:RequestStreams
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gtk_toolbox.py", line 248, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwds)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/channel/call.py", line 128, in RequestStreams
self._conn.session.backend.call(contactNumber)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 349, in call
self._parse_with_validation(page)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 721, in _parse_with_validation
validate_response(json)
File "/usr/lib/theonering/gvoice/backend.py", line 800, in validate_response
raise RuntimeError('There was a problem with GV: %s' % response)
RuntimeError: There was a problem with GV: {'data': {'code': 20}, 'ok': False}
(13:29:06) DEBUG:channel.call:Closing call

Thanx! Almost there!

You had cut off some of the log. Would you be willing to send me a PM of the rest? With the One Ring, Your Callback or Forward number is your screen name. If you just leave it blank, you should see The One Ring choose a Screen Name / Callback Number for you.

les_garten 2010-01-22 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 489181)
You had cut off some of the log. Would you be willing to send me a PM of the rest? With the One Ring, Your Callback or Forward number is your screen name. If you just leave it blank, you should see The One Ring choose a Screen Name / Callback Number for you.

Sent in PM.

les_garten 2010-01-22 19:20

It's working! I was just not used to the difference between it and Dial Central. Thanx!

How can I disable it when not using it so that it won't chew ip the batt? Just go offline?

epage 2010-01-22 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 489255)
It's working! I was just not used to the difference between it and Dial Central. Thanx!

How can I disable it when not using it so that it won't chew ip the batt? Just go offline?

Go offline or go to the configure screen for it and set "disable". Eventually it'll be better :)

What was it you were doing wrong? I'd like to try and add documentation to help prevent people from getting confused in the future.

natmaster 2010-01-22 19:33

Is there currently a way to turn off polling all together? I just want this to make outgoing calls easy, I don't really care about getting updated.

les_garten 2010-01-22 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 489280)
Go offline or go to the configure screen for it and set "disable". Eventually it'll be better :)

What was it you were doing wrong? I'd like to try and add documentation to help prevent people from getting confused in the future.

I was dialing the number and when the call ended, I didn't wait for the callback from GV. Just wasn't used to how that worked. Makes sense now though.

epage 2010-01-22 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by natmaster (Post 489282)
Is there currently a way to turn off polling all together? I just want this to make outgoing calls easy, I don't really care about getting updated.

As the original post states, in the "Planned Features" there will be support for configurable polling times including the option to disable polling.

superhyper 2010-01-22 21:27

is this available? i can't seem to find it on devel.

les_garten 2010-01-22 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by superhyper (Post 489485)

Name was changed to Google Voice Plugin

epage 2010-01-22 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by superhyper (Post 489485)

Please remember to specify your Operating System or Device model.

It is present in both Maemo 4.1 extras-devel and Maemo 5 extras-devel and I've got it installed on my n810 and my n900

epage 2010-01-22 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 489491)
Name was changed to Google Voice Plugin

That is a very good point that for Maemo platforms I am not showing the Connection Manager name but actually a description. This is to be consistent with the other Connection Manangers

les_garten 2010-01-22 21:45

@epage

Are you planning for full integration into the contacts app on the N900 like Skype is?

epage 2010-01-22 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 489520)
@epage

Are you planning for full integration into the contacts app on the N900 like Skype is?

In general, please look in "Known Issues" and "Planned Features" when asking questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by epage (Post 489058)
See "Maemo 5" -> "Known Issues" -> "Support for System Contacts" on the first post.

I thought I did what is needed to support this but something is lacking and I will need to do further work on it. I did not feel like it was something to hold up a beta though.

dantonic 2010-01-22 21:56

Well, Just installed it.
This was a HUGE feature that I had been waiting for. I cannot thank you enough!
Keep up the good work!

Hotshot 2010-01-22 22:03

Quick question when the one ring is finally down and in extras will it be able to be installed and still use dial central? Or could the two programs conflict with each other?

les_garten 2010-01-22 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotshot (Post 489563)
Quick question when the one ring is finally down and in extras will it be able to be installed and still use dial central? Or could the two programs conflict with each other?

They both work now.

bocaJ 2010-01-22 23:11

ePage - this is fantastic work on your part, if you ever need donations from the community, hit me up.

I was wondering, both for TheOneRing and other apps in general, if there is a way to still be notified about updates to them without always have extras-testing or extras-devel enabled? I normally disable them so I won't have the flashing update icon all the time, but that means I do miss out on updates I want for the two or three testing/devel items I have installed.

epage 2010-01-22 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocaJ (Post 489675)
ePage - this is fantastic work on your part, if you ever need donations from the community, hit me up.

I was wondering, both for TheOneRing and other apps in general, if there is a way to still be notified about updates to them without always have extras-testing or extras-devel enabled? I normally disable them so I won't have the flashing update icon all the time, but that means I do miss out on updates I want for the two or three testing/devel items I have installed.

I don't know about your other apps but I generally try and get my software into extras testing quickly. During this beta time where it is -devel, I would suggest relying on a subscription to this thread. I try and post to notify people that new versons are out for my other applications and will do similar here.

epage 2010-01-23 02:36

I've just pushed to the auto-builder a fix for the 20s polling of texts. The behavior is now as described in the first post.

lemmyslender 2010-01-23 03:03

Installed on my N900. Received sms no problem. Haven't tried calling yet. Did a quick chech, and when enabled, doesn't seem to have any significant battery drain issues. Looking forward to using the new version with the polling fixed.

JD2010 2010-01-23 03:16

Big thanks for you app...quick question to run that application do we need the update pr1.1 I have it install on N900 soft V42.11 I always get error after I press the call button, it say general error. Dialcentral work perfectly. I have the online green light status on and see the the callback number has said in your description. when dialing do we put the same has skype like a +666-666-6666 or we just dial like dialcentral. thanks

lemmyslender 2010-01-23 03:37

OK one bug to report (N900, pr1.1, 0.7.0-1). It was doing it with the previous version as well. I get sent a sms, which shows up just fine. However, if I close the conversation, then go back into it, it re-downloads the sms. Checking the google voice website, the sms is still "new".

What part/all of the log do you need / what can I censor?

les_garten 2010-01-23 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD2010 (Post 489979)
Big thanks for you app...quick question to run that application do we need the update pr1.1 I have it install on N900 soft V42.11 I always get error after I press the call button, it say general error. Dialcentral work perfectly. I have the online green light status on and see the the callback number has said in your description. when dialing do we put the same has skype like a +666-666-6666 or we just dial like dialcentral. thanks

I "think" that constitutes your Caller ID info. That would be important possibly for billing purposes. I have it on my "A-list" with ATT. That is my GV number is registered as an A-List number. Like favorites or circle of friends elsewhere. that way I get free calls to and fro that number! So I can have unlimited minutes when I use my GV.