maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83195)

m4r0v3r 2012-03-22 20:03

Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Quote:

While speaking with Finnish newspaper Kauppalehti, Nokia's SVP of Design and User Experience Marko Ahtisaari revealed that the company is working on a revolutionary new phone that should make existing handsets -- including Apple's iPhone -- look like those bulky "brickphones" carried around in the late 1980s.

Ahtisaari boldly described two current smartphone patterns, the first of which is Apple's iOS which features a user interface that is "convoluted" and "poorly designed," adding that "the road from the kitchen into the dining room is always through the front door." He then went on to describe the second pattern which consists of Symbian and Android, calling them "dollhouses," as they feature "furniture" that users can pick up and rearrange.

This isn't the first time he has publicly split the smartphone market into two separate patterns. As seen here, he began talking about a new third design at LeWeb back in December 2010, calling for a new pattern to move the evolution of the smartphone forward. Windows Phone 7 seemingly breaks into new territory, and his current talk of a revolutionary new device just might include Windows Phone 8 and use the front-facing camera for motion controls.

Adding more speculation to the new device, Nokia last week filed a patent for a haptic communication system featuring tattoos that will vibrate when the users receives a phone call. The tattoo would use ferromagnetic ink "capable of detecting a magnetic field and transferring a perceivable stimulus to the skin, wherein the perceivable stimulus relates to the magnetic field." The ink wouldn't have to be applied directly to the skin, but on wearable material that has direct contact to the user's skin. Signals could also be customized to alert the user to other notifications like text messages, emails and more, using different pulses.

"If you look at people using touchscreen devices today, they’ve got their heads down," he said during LeWeb 2010. "The devices are immersive and require full attention. You’ll see couples in coffee shops who’ve been together 10-15 years both sat with their heads down, operating their devices. We need to give people their head up again."

Naturally the Nokia executive wouldn't go into details about his revolutionary solution, but did say it would feature breakthrough technology that revolutionizes the user experience. Owners won't have to bend down or even touch the device's screen in order to use it, leading to speculation that some kind of motion sensing technology will be involved, or voice-driven controls like Apple's virtual assistant Siri.

Nokia recently made a splash in the news media with the launch of its eye-catching Lumia 710 and 800 handsets sporting the blocky Windows Phone 7 OS. Nokia's next release, the 4G LTE-laced Nokia Lumia 900, is slated to hit AT&T's network sometime around the end of April for just $99.99 USD (and a two-year commitment). The upcoming gadget will sport a 4.3-inch 800 x 400 AMOLED touchscreen housed in a gorgeous polycarbonate unibody. Other features include a 1.3MP front-facing camera, an 8MP rear-facing camera, a 1.4 GHz single-core SoC, 512 MB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage and more.
So anybody think this is what's been up there sleeve?

bandora 2012-03-22 20:08

Re: Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Honestly I don't believe Nokia anymore.. I will just have to wait and see.

vi_ 2012-03-22 20:17

I imagine it will be another convoluted disappoint fail.

Aranel 2012-03-22 20:20

To save everyone from wasting time, here's the only interesting part:
Quote:

"If you look at people using touchscreen devices today, they’ve got their heads down," he said during LeWeb 2010. "The devices are immersive and require full attention. You’ll see couples in coffee shops who’ve been together 10-15 years both sat with their heads down, operating their devices. We need to give people their head up again."
If it's not marketing talk or some sort of Siri knock-off, that sounds like an innovation and it may turn out to be something really interesting. To me, rest of this article about "revolutionary windows phone" hardly takes my attention and nothing new to see there.

patlak 2012-03-22 20:21

Revolutionary phone with a poorly selling OS, GOOD LUCK! They pay him serious money to advertise WP after his last effort, N9.

UCOMM 2012-03-22 20:22

they'll do it, but they won't see the real potential in it, it'll languish for a few years, and someone down the road will do it better

that is the pattern isnt it?

bocephus 2012-03-22 20:23

A premature April Fool's joke? I've lost all faith in Nokia as of late, what with their abandonment of Maemo/Meego and their hiring of Elop and all, so I won't believe anything until I see it. Besides, I wouldn't buy anything that ran Windows anyway, doesn't matter how "revolutionary".

A truly revolutionary thing would of course be a completely open, completely OSS N900-successor with killer hardware, updated Maemo GUI, and a team of 100 Nokia monkeys working overtime to support it for the next several years. But I hardly think that is what they have in mind...

Android_808 2012-03-22 20:25

If it has Windows, I don't want to know. The new version will let you run 8 apps in the background rather than 5......oooh wow! My N900 will run more than that.

I would rather have the N9 UI on top of a new, simple open platform that made use of open source drivers (especially graphics chip).

stlpaul 2012-03-22 20:25

Great move, talk about the revolutionary phone just before releasing your new non-revolutionary phone so nobody will want it and prefer to wait for the good one instead. :P

Android_808 2012-03-22 20:30

Maybe he's anti MS stlpaul. Maybe it's a grand master plan from within Nokia to bring down the current regime

HELLASISGREECE 2012-03-22 20:38

Marko Ahtisaari is a Finnish GOD!!

his N9 presentation in Singapore and his love for the N900 are heartbreaking!!!

I'm sure if he was in charge, Nokia wouldn't have gone to WP

\m/

ps: Oh and T.C. we need a link

imo 2012-03-22 20:44

Are they making any other N900 with some sort of revolutionary OS? A perfect april fool's ceremony ..lol,nokia is nothin more than a trade name now..
Keep your heads up while lying on a sofa..chill

HELLASISGREECE 2012-03-22 20:58

ps2: why is "iphone" + "revolutionary" in the same sentence?!

the only revolution the iphone ignited is the marketing revolution

specc 2012-03-22 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by imo (Post 1182934)
Are they making any other N900 with some sort of revolutionary OS? A perfect april fool's ceremony ..lol,nokia is nothin more than a trade name now..
Keep your heads up while lying on a sofa..chill

A little more than a trade name. The 808 PureView proves to me they still know how to do it. OS means nothing, it's the HW that sell, at least that's how it works for me :D Software play a part, but not that much in the end of the day if some killer HW is on the horizon.

szopin 2012-03-22 21:35

Sorry to rain on the parade but the originally posted article on bgr had an update:

UPDATE: A Nokia spokesperson contacted BGR with additional details regarding some of Ahtisaari’s comments. The interface elements he described during his interview are in fact concepts Ahtisaari has been discussing since December 2010, when he spoke about them on stage at LeWeb. The spokesperson declined to comment on if or when these concepts might appear in a production device.

Source: http://m.bgr.com/2012/03/20/nokia-is...signed-iphone/

Lumiaman 2012-03-22 21:48

NOKIA should stop talking and start delivering.

The Wizard of Huz 2012-03-23 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android_808 (Post 1182928)
Maybe he's anti MS stlpaul. Maybe it's a grand master plan from within Nokia to bring down the current regime

"We need a regime change...."

Rugoz 2012-03-23 22:28

The lumia 900 was supposed to be a groundbreaking wp device, turned out to be rather lame. We've heard rumours about something "revolutionary" from nokia for the last 4 years or so. Might as well believe the end of the world is near everytime some apocalypse worshipper spits out a date.

Zoxir 2012-03-23 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlpaul (Post 1182924)
Great move, talk about the revolutionary phone just before releasing your new non-revolutionary phone so nobody will want it and prefer to wait for the good one instead. :P

Dude noone wants their devices wether present or future so they will say any crap they can think in order to persuade some fools to buy their Win Phails. But the trouth is this even if the new phone he's talking about can give you a bj people still wont give upon their iphones and androids.

almamo 2012-03-26 20:43

The most revolutionary Nokia phone would be one with a "Ban-Elop-From-Nokia" - button ;)

Next to that it could just be a bunch of empty words, I wonder what platform Nokia wants to use for such a phone. Maybe they get more access to future WP versions?

But it's typical for Nokia, they always used to life somehow in the future with amazing concepts and openly talk about them with big smiling faces. But it mostly failed at the execution or marketing.

While for example Apple never tells anything and *bamm* they're there with a new phone, new features and set straight new trends since the device is usually available for purchase a day after announcement. Of course I'm aware that with the iPhone there weren't invented new things, and it even was a step back in many parts (especially first 2 versions). But they are so self-confident that they have the courage Nokia badly needs/needed.

Arie 2012-03-26 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE (Post 1182930)
Marko Ahtisaari's N9 presentation in Singapore and his love for the N900 are heartbreaking!!!

I'm sure if he was in charge, Nokia wouldn't have gone to WP

This is all that was needed to be said about Marko. I had a chance to meet him once pre-WP announcement. He was extremely excited about his Maemo/Harmattan project. Since then he looks more and more depressed every time I see him.

Maybe it's me though... or it could be Microsoft.

HELLASISGREECE 2012-03-26 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1184411)
This is all that was needed to be said about Marko. I had a chance to meet him once pre-WP announcement. He was extremely excited about his Maemo/Harmattan project. Since then he looks more and more depressed every time I see him.

Maybe it's me though... or it could be Microsoft.

I knew it! I don't know the man...but I could tell from the Singapore presentation... from the N9 design video, from his numerous interviews, from his tweets..

The man loved what he and his team achieved with the N9... I'm sure he loved all Maemo devices and the N950.

I bet he was first dissapointed when N950 did not get the green light.

He seemed depressed huh...? That is sad.

This man has vision and PASSION. He should be the next Nokia director.

*I am just a little greek dude, loving mobile phones since 7110.

I love 7110, 7650, 7700, 7710, N900, N91, N8, N950, N9 and I'm sure that mr. Ahtisaari has the same preferences as well (more or less)

In other words... I love groundbreaking NOKIA.

Cue 2012-03-26 21:08

Google glasses? nothing else explains this part other than having an android husband/wife.

Hacker 2012-03-26 23:54

The best technologies to keep your head up in everyday life are voice activation, perhaps an Air UI that works well, and something akin to Nokia City Lens, which could be piped through designer glasses, like the Facebook spy glasses I've heard a little about, to show you around your city. The vibrating tattoos are interesting, since the purpose of the vibrating was lost on the soul who made the N9 vibrate so weakly. I would have emotional facial tracking, so the phone can tell you when your date is losing patience with you. Autistim = solved.

balisingh 2012-03-27 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android_808 (Post 1182923)
If it has Windows, I don't want to know. The new version will let you run 8 apps in the background rather than 5......oooh wow! My N900 will run more than that.

I would rather have the N9 UI on top of a new, simple open platform that made use of open source drivers (especially graphics chip).

OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS! Goodluck. Software is one thing, drivers are another.

balisingh 2012-03-27 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacker (Post 1184447)
The best technologies to keep your head up in everyday life are voice activation, perhaps an Air UI that works well, and something akin to Nokia City Lens, which could be piped through designer glasses, like the Facebook spy glasses I've heard a little about, to show you around your city. The vibrating tattoos are interesting, since the purpose of the vibrating was lost on the soul who made the N9 vibrate so weakly. I would have emotional facial tracking, so the phone can tell you when your date is losing patience with you. Autistim = solved.

i think your phone should talk more than you, if its going to talk.

Lumiaman 2012-03-27 01:31

NOKIA is as revolutionary as NORTH KOREA is free.

gerbick 2012-03-27 01:36

I just wonder who honestly believes this still?

Revolutionary - optics perhaps. But not phone. Or OS. No longer that is...

Kangal 2012-03-27 04:11

Guy I just heard Nokia is developing a Revolutionary phone.

It has a 4.7" ClearBlack Display (RGB) at 800p resolution.
The capacitive screen accepts Multitouch gestures as well as a Active Pen.
It runs an OMAP5530 (Dual 2GHz A15 + Solo 1GHz A7) with 1GB RAM.
It only comes with a 64GB NAND variant, but there's a microSD.
To disappoint you, it has a microUSB with HOST and a microHDMI.
It only has a 2,000mAh battery and is a whopping 12mm thick!
The device is fat because of its disgusting 5-row qwerty keyboard which is revealed with a tilt.
The tilt helps guide your fingers to 4 shoulder pads which acts as the volume buttons, camera shutter and flash light.
That's right it has a worthless 12MP Carl Zeiss optics with Xenon flash, and a stupid 2MP on the front.
The whole thing is made of one Aluminium piece that's accidentally been electrocuted for Micro Arc Oxidation. Only the bottom side (HTC Legend) is made of plastic that helps LTE reception but looks atrocious, especially when it opens to reveal the microSD, microSIM and battery compartment.
To make things worse, the device can be stood up and the vibrations from a call cause it to dance like an 8th grader on your desk.
The sound quality isn't bad, but the infidel uses those so mainstream 3.5mm jack with volume control.
Its got all those useless gadgets like a gyro, light sensor, GLONASS-GPS etc which is useless cause there's no 3rd party applications making use of it.
That's right it uses an outdated Linux system with no Apps, has the stupidest name "Me" "Go" and you have to learn C++ if you want to do what you want. It isn't robotic or magical, and frankly it sucks!

ibrakalifa 2012-03-27 05:52

they made it and soon abandon it, old story, and later comes people thats want 'wazzap' inside it, looool

Spotfist 2012-03-27 06:09

for Nokia the word "revolutionary" would simply imply they will support the phone for more than a day...

zifis 2012-03-27 08:11

If the sentence didn't include the 13yo marketing approach phrase "to shame iphone" I might have believed it...

debernardis 2012-03-27 12:00

Meanwhile, I must admit my dollhouse is quite comfortable :)

Ashbeck 2012-03-27 12:12

What he describes sounds like this concept i saw from Nokia, were you have these transparent type Sunglasses, and it tracks your eye movement.

Zoxir 2012-03-27 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotfist (Post 1184527)
for Nokia the word "revolutionary" would simply imply they will support the phone for more than a day...

Or probably dual core :D

Cue 2012-03-27 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1184469)
I just wonder who honestly believes this still?

Revolutionary - optics perhaps. But not phone. Or OS. No longer that is...

Doesn't seem that far fetched. It's clearly an answer to Googles Android glasses. You cannot talk about keeping your head up when using a gadget and not be referring to a HUD (head(s)-up display). I hear that MS are trying to do the same as Google and Apple (they've filed some patents for it) so they may be doing it through Nokia.

gerbick 2012-03-27 14:20

I meant cameras.

Android_808 2012-03-27 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by balisingh (Post 1184459)
OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS! Goodluck. Software is one thing, drivers are another.

It all depends on where they source the parts from.
Samsung Exynos driver is moving along quite nicely.
NVidia Tegra driver available AFAIK via L4T.

m4r0v3r 2012-03-27 16:14

maybe people should forget about open source drivers, since it seems like something that just isn't happening, ever.

soryuuha 2012-03-27 16:25

then one month before launch, elop will kill this phone..and said "back to WP8/9 everyone"