maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   n900 preorder on Nokia USA (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31284)

sevla 2009-09-04 14:26

n900 preorder on Nokia USA

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products

If this is a repost please delete. $650 isn't too bad! If tmobile picks it up we can expect $300 sub.

sondjata 2009-09-04 14:49

Re: n900 preorder on Nokia USA

hmmm... I'll have to think on this. The thought of not having to carry my 800,phone and GPS device is very tempting indeed. My bank account will be in jeopardy if it comes out before my birthday. :-)

sevla 2009-09-04 15:06

sell the gps/ 800 / phone and you'll have half the money right there :)

jolouis 2009-09-04 16:51

N900 USA Presale

For all you lucky buggers in the US, NokiaUSA is offering presale of the N900.. US retail price $649:

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...#/main/landing

Even includes free shipping and a free Bluetooth headset!

(Anyone in the US feel like putting in a pre-order for those of us in the rest of the world?...)

bdogg64 2009-09-04 17:15

I would love to put in a preorder, but its gonna cost me another $50 with taxes on the http://nokiausa.com site. With the phone already being $650 and I won't get it any sooner, I think I'll wait until it hits some online retailers.

ysss 2009-09-04 17:21

AND.. the 3G only work with T-Mobile, doesn't it?

bdogg64 2009-09-04 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 321581)

Yes, its 3G bands are only compatible with T-Mobile.

ysss 2009-09-04 17:37

I wonder why they don't mention it at all in the order page. Bet there are gonna be lots of disappointed people... or.... could it be that Nokia will release a proper quad band for the US afterall?

christexaport 2009-09-04 17:44

this device will mainly be used on WiFi unless a carrier is involved, and then, it may be more attractive to buy it from them with a healthy subsidy. Its just like the N810 WiMax Edition.

mykenyc 2009-09-04 17:50

im buying it without subsidy as your remember when the mytouch was released tmobile specifically said it will be there star phone "for the year" so i can see this being released next year which i cannot wait for, im to impatient and money comes/goes. Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)

bdogg64 2009-09-04 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykenyc (Post 321598)
im buying it without subsidy as your remember when the mytouch was released tmobile specifically said it will be there star phone "for the year" so i can see this being released next year which i cannot wait for, im to impatient and money comes/goes. Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)

I agree ... all except the McDonalds part lol ... I'm on T-Mobile, but I am already locked in for 2 years because of the G1 and it doesn't appear that T-Mobile will be picking this up quickly for fear of taking away MyTouch 3G sales, which is a shame.

sondjata 2009-09-04 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 321581)

From what I see it supports the ATT 850MHz channel. So it should work with ATT 3G. Heck I'm even willing to test it out in the store when it comes out.

Never mind. Was reading the wrong part

jandmdickerson 2009-09-04 18:06

I have also pre-ordered mine. Along with the free bluetooth and shipping they offered me a second year of warranty for $20, which I bought. Did everyone else get the extended warranty?

texaslabrat 2009-09-04 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandmdickerson (Post 321604)
I have also pre-ordered mine. Along with the free bluetooth and shipping they offered me a second year of warranty for $20, which I bought. Did everyone else get the extended warranty?

I didn't get the extended warranty. In my experience, if an electronic device is going to die it is typically a case of infant mortality within the first week or 2 of being used and having full charge cycles. AFAIK the extended warranty doesn't protect against user stupidity (eg dropping onto concrete, taking it swimming, etc), thus the most likely causes of failure after the 1st year aren't even covered by the warranty. If it were "insurance" it would be a different story, of course... JMHO, YMMV, etc.

mjc 2009-09-04 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaslabrat (Post 321613)
I didn't get the extended warranty. In my experience, if an electronic device is going to die it is typically a case of infant mortality within the first week or 2 of being used and having full charge cycles. AFAIK the extended warranty doesn't protect against user stupidity (eg dropping onto concrete, taking it swimming, etc), thus the most likely causes of failure after the 1st year aren't even covered by the warranty. If it were "insurance" it would be a different story, of course... JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Not the case with my N95-3. First one died near the end of its one year warranty. Cellular radio was flaking out and Nokia first blamed AT&T, but Nokia eventually replaced it. One year with the new phone and the cellular radio appears to be crapping out again. Time to use the credit card warranty extension provision.

I think I might opt for the $20 warranty when I buy the N900.

hfm 2009-09-04 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjc (Post 321636)
Not the case with my N95-3. First one died near the end of its one year warranty. Cellular radio was flaking out and Nokia first blamed AT&T, but Nokia eventually replaced it. One year with the new phone and the cellular radio appears to be crapping out again. Time to use the credit card warranty extension provision.

I think I might opt for the $20 warranty when I buy the N900.

It sounds like there's a reliability issue with Nokia's radio there..

texaslabrat 2009-09-04 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfm (Post 321653)
It sounds like there's a reliability issue with Nokia's radio there..

Or just incredibly bad luck. My N95-3 is still running strong with zero issues :)

Bratag 2009-09-04 18:58

VERY tempted to get this pre-order. Was going to wait until Tmob picked it up, but I have some serious doubts it will be picked up before 2010.

Have to think on it.

christexaport 2009-09-04 19:29

Don't believe carriers that say "this is our star phone". That's just like Nokia saying the N97 will be the flagship. Yeah, for 5 minutes.

danramos 2009-09-04 19:58

Quote:

Why are you spending money on wifi? I go all over the place and find FREE wifi (Burger King, Panera, Friendly's, etc. even the city of Hartford has a free city wifi downtown).

jandmdickerson 2009-09-04 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaslabrat (Post 321613)

Trust me I "milked" my one year warranty on my n800 and n810, they even gave me new batteries. Besides in my State the warranty is pro-rated over the program time frame so I can get a refund on it if I choose, and the normal price for this extended warranty is around $80. Nevertheless, I will let you know two years from now if my $20 could have been better spent. ;)

Crashdamage 2009-09-04 20:36

1st post, been lurking a while. I'll start asking questions later.

I went ahead and paid an arm and a leg to pre-order it directly from NokiaUSA because...

1. I wanted it NOW! Ok, so I'm weak...but there's no guarantee T-Mobile will ever get the phone even if I waited. No one I've spoken to at T-Mo knows anything about the N900 - or won't admit to it.

2. I'm not due for a full upgrade discount fo another year and a partial upgrade price wouldn't save all that much money. And again, I'd have to wait to see if I'd even get that.

3. I'll have the pure, unadulterated generic USA version - no missing features, reduced specs or capabilities, carrier-specific apps or UI changes, all the stuff providers are so fond of adding/subtracting to "customize" their specific versions. So may be worth a little more if I sell it later or nicer to use if I don't.

Looks like about a month 'til I'll have it in my greasy hands...gonna be a loooong month...

Bratag 2009-09-04 20:42

Just spoke to a fairly reliable source within tmobile USA and he said there were no plans to pick up the device this year. So ..... Take from that whatever you want and also with the usual disclaimers etc.

mykenyc 2009-09-04 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 321700)
Why are you spending money on wifi? I go all over the place and find FREE wifi (Burger King, Panera, Friendly's, etc. even the city of Hartford has a free city wifi downtown).

lol no i was talking about my consumption rate at mcdonalds lol :D

Quote:

Don't believe carriers that say "this is our star phone". That's just like Nokia saying the N97 will be the flagship. Yeah, for 5 minutes.
its a little different thought think about it like this they have to do renaming of the device if they want to. Also packaging, manually for us workers, being that maemo is a new platform for t-mobile customer care would have to learn the device before release and no one have mentioned anything of that sort or leaks. We as sales reps would have to train also. This is a huge device break-through for tmobile and it would decrease sales of mytouch believe me. So i would honestly have to say within three month i hiiiiiighly doubt it will hit this year this will blow the blackberry 9700 (soon to be released) and mytouch 3g out the water.

danramos 2009-09-04 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 321728)
3. I'll have the pure, unadulterated generic USA version - no missing features, reduced specs or capabilities, carrier-specific apps or UI changes, all the stuff providers are so fond of adding/subtracting to "customize" their specific versions. So may be worth a little more if I sell it later or nicer to use if I don't.

That wasn't assuming at ALL that the one they're selling right now is the limited one and a more capable one might come along. :P

danramos 2009-09-04 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykenyc (Post 321736)
Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 321700)
Quote:

Plus i spend probably 200 dollars on McDonalds a month alone lol (no im not fat which is the odd part)

lol no i was talking about my consumption rate at mcdonalds lol :D

...so you ARE fat! You LIED! :p

sachin007 2009-09-04 21:19

What will nokia/t-mobile gain with being mum on this word? They can say :

" At this point we do not have any deals with t-mobile but we may look into that in the future"

or

" Yeah we are working with t-mobile to subsidize the phone"

For me either way it will clear confusion and let the customer make an informed decision instead of keeping them in the dark and making them wait.

epilido 2009-09-04 21:37

Pre-ordered. Too bad I'll be out of town for a month when it ships...... maybe I can get it forwarded.

Epi

MountainX 2009-09-04 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashdamage (Post 321728)
I went ahead and paid an arm and a leg to pre-order it directly from NokiaUSA because...

I would definitely and immediately do the same, rather than wait for a subsidized N900 from TMobile, if I can use the N900 on a prepaid plan. Is this possible?

mykenyc 2009-09-04 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 321753)
That wasn't assuming at ALL that the one they're selling right now is the limited one and a more capable one might come along. :P

its business though. Think about it out of the blogsphere nobody in the USA even know this phone exists, think about if t-mobile made a announcement that they are getting a phone better than the mytouch (which im pretty sure they wouldn't say but i'd be common sense) and iphone who would buy the mytouch lol. I swear any customer that comes into my store and say they on tmobile and about to leave for ATT only leave for the iphone point blank .

Crashdamage 2009-09-05 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 321753)

I'm not worried. Supposedly, the the N900, particularly an unlocked NokiaUSA one, will be updated much like my G1 has. It's FAR more capable now than when I got it on pre-order.

However, I am kinda curious how the change from Maemo 5 to v6 will affect things. Guess I'm gonna find out...

Crashdamage 2009-09-05 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainX (Post 321772)
I would definitely and immediately do the same, rather than wait for a subsidized N900 from TMobile, if I can use the N900 on a prepaid plan. Is this possible?

Absolutely. Locked, unlocked - they still get to bill you every month. And if you use an unlocked phone they're not having to finance your subsidy on a locked model while the service charge is the same. Might explain T-Mo's friendly policy toward unlocked phones.

I understand in most of the world no subsidy cost means you get a cheaper rate, but no such luck in the US, No carriers do that here.

christexaport 2009-09-05 01:44

at&t does. you can get web for almost $10 if unlocked, $25-30 on a subsidized smartphone.

Bratag 2009-09-05 03:07

Just one last Q before I pre-order - It says available in select markets Oct 2009. Does that "select" include those pre-ordered for the USA?

jandmdickerson 2009-09-05 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratag (Post 321884)
Just one last Q before I pre-order - It says available in select markets Oct 2009. Does that "select" include those pre-ordered for the USA?

Call the Nokia CR mine told me shipping first week of October. So I anticipate mid to late October.:D

bleomycin 2009-09-05 03:19

I'm on the fence about pre-ordering. Is everyone pre-ordering because they are worried about nokia raising the price once released? Because the odds of t-mobile launching a subsidized version any time soon aren't looking promising and they're just willing to pay a premium to get it NOW? (i'm in the 2nd group, assuming t-mobile is going to drag their feet for more than a month, of course there's no way to tell anything at this point) :(

Bratag 2009-09-05 03:24

Excellent news about the shipping. And based on what I have read and a conversation with a couple of engineers inside tmobile USA - I dont think we are going to see the n900 for AT LEAST 6 months if at all on the tmobile network USA

ysss 2009-09-05 03:26

@bleomycin: raising price? I've never heard of that happen on any other devices. the only occurence of raised smartphone market prices that i know of is with the iphone, and that's mainly because of scalpers taking advantage of shortage of supplies.

kenny 2009-09-05 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 321596)
this device will mainly be used on WiFi unless a carrier is involved, and then, it may be more attractive to buy it from them with a healthy subsidy. Its just like the N810 WiMax Edition.

???????????

kenny 2009-09-05 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainX (Post 321772)

T-Mobile does not offer any pre-paid data plans......only voice.
(Besides the Sidekick plan.)