maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Why not give it a try? "Meego OS for Nokia Smartphones 2017" (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99361)

deutch1976 2017-05-05 14:51

Why not give it a try? "Meego OS for Nokia Smartphones 2017"

https://www.change.org/p/nokia-meego...artphones-2017

nthn 2017-05-05 16:05

Re: Why not give it a try? "Meego OS for Nokia Smartphones 2017"

These guys are hardcore.

Dave999 2017-05-05 16:09

If anything. Make use of some of the old Nokia slider landscape slider HW design. E.g. E7 or N950 and pack it with something of today. Some good parts, android or Meego or whatever they can manage.

If Nokia don't think they can afford it. Sell their submarie business or start a Indiegogo campaign.

And put Elop in charge of everything! Ari jaaksi can head the devteam.

mikecomputing 2017-05-06 20:54

facepalm.......................................... ....................

maegon9y00 2017-05-09 14:32

Signed. 146 more needed

bandora 2017-05-09 14:56

Guys... It's not gonna happen, idk why people think that putting a petition on change.org will change things. :(

maegon9y00 2017-05-09 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandora (Post 1527821)
Guys... It's not gonna happen, idk why people think that putting a petition on change.org will change things. :(

Probably true. But anyone can express its wishes about it. No matter what's the result.

In the other hand, not even express it is absolutely wrong. And leaves no chance for others know. Leaves no possibility at all. So that's why I express my opinion about it and thanks to @deutch1976 for this post.

pichlo 2017-05-10 05:31

If I am to sign up to something, giving away my details and exposing myself to a potential spam attack or worse, at least I want it to be not for a complete naught. This is an utterly pointless gesture.

explit 2017-05-10 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1527839)
If I am to sign up to something, giving away my details and exposing myself to a potential spam attack or worse, at least I want it to be not for a complete naught. This is an utterly pointless gesture.

For such things i have a fake identity ;-)
Its not complete pointless. If there are a lot of signatures - there is a chance, that it will be used by some Manager to show it to his CEO, that here is still a lot interest.

But there is only a small chance....

salahkhani 2017-05-10 06:17

Just let us hope that Nokia will listen to us to I love Meego even though I wish they could revive the Monster Maemo.

Meego is good with a powerful gear it will way Android.

deutch1976 2017-05-10 08:10

The "NO" is granted. If we don't try it will never certainly never happen ;)

NokiaFanatic 2017-05-10 09:11

The petition is going to the wrong people.

It's Microsoft that took ownership of Nokia's former mobile assets like Symbian, Series 30, and Meego. Of course we know that just recently, HMD (a new Finnish company backed by French private equity) then ended up buying some of the former Nokia assets that Microsoft owned (Series 30 and the feature phones business). No mention was made of Meego or Symbian transferring to them - so you would have to imagine that this technology is still Microsoft owned.

Folks, you need to let Maemo/Meego go. Neither are coming back.

nthn 2017-05-10 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1527843)
Just let us hope that Nokia will listen to us to I love Meego even though I wish they could revive the Monster Maemo.

Meego is good with a powerful gear it will way Android.

I think sabre-tooth tigers were really cool, and way more powerful than those pu​ssy lions nowadays. Will you sign my petition to bring them back? If we can get 500 people to sign it, crazy scientists will hear our plea and justify their resurrection efforts of the Smilodon to their managers with the fact that the enormous amount of fifty times ten people across the globe think it would be pretty cool.

deutch1976 2017-05-10 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1527848)

It's Microsoft that took ownership of Nokia's former mobile assets like Symbian, Series 30, and Meego. Of course we know that just recently, HMD (a new Finnish company backed by French private equity) then ended up buying some of the former Nokia assets that Microsoft owned (Series 30 and the feature phones business). No mention was made of Meego or Symbian transferring to them - so you would have to imagine that this technology is still Microsoft owned.

Folks, you need to let Maemo/Meego go. Neither are coming back.

You, as a NokiaFanatic, should hope to keep Maemo/Meego dream alive :)

deutch1976 2017-05-10 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1527850)
I think sabre-tooth tigers were really cool, and way more powerful than those pu​ssy lions nowadays. Will you sign my petition to bring them back? If we can get 500 people to sign it, crazy scientists will hear our plea and justify their resurrection efforts of the Smilodon to their managers with the fact that the enormous amount of fifty times ten people across the globe think it would be pretty cool.

Seriously how old are you? Making such comparision is something...:eek:

juiceme 2017-05-10 11:39

Let me correct that for you;

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1527848)

It's Microsoft that took ownership of Nokia's former mobile assets like Symbian, Series 30, ̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶e̶g̶o̶ ̶.

Maemo and Meego rights were never sold to MS.

juiceme 2017-05-10 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutch1976 (Post 1527855)
Seriously how old are you? Making such comparision is something...:eek:

The comparision is very accurate.

imaginaryenemy 2017-05-10 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1527863)
The comparision is very accurate.

Though I do agree that this is a fruitless effort, the comparison is not accurate.

Meego and Maemo COULD be resurrected with a realistic amount of effort. The resurrection of an extinct species of animal could not...

pycage 2017-05-10 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1527872)
Though I do agree that this is a fruitless effort, the comparison is not accurate.

Meego and Maemo COULD be resurrected with a realistic amount of effort. The resurrection of an extinct species of animal could not...

For Nokia, the amount of effort required could roughly be the same, though.

imaginaryenemy 2017-05-10 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1527874)
For Nokia, the amount of effort required could roughly be the same, though.

I assumed the original quote was hyperbolic. My issue was pretending that it wasn't.

I would say that the likelihood of seeing another Meego/Maemo phone is roughly exactly as likely as resurrecting a saber-tooth tiger.

gerbick 2017-05-10 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1527862)
Let me correct that for you;

Maemo and Meego rights were never sold to MS.

So... who has Maemo rights?

juiceme 2017-05-10 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1527877)
So... who has Maemo rights?

Its a bit tricky thing really to define; by "rights" do you mean which rights exactly?
The rights to the Maemo trademark, or the SW copyright, or the HW design and model copyright...
  • 1.) We own the Maemo trademark ourselves, as Maemo Community e.V.
  • 2.) Noka Technologies owns the copyright to the parts of SW written originally from scratch in Nokia. Other parts of the SW, both FOSS and commercial are owned by respective holders of various bunch of licenses.
  • 3.) Design and utility copyrights of the various Maemo/Meego HW devices are owned by Nokia Technologies. Parts of the HW design are owned by the respective copyright holders of the original design (for example if I remember correctly the N900 original HW design is based on BeagleBoard design)

explit 2017-05-10 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1527850)

Where i need to sign for sabre-tooth tigers?
will definitive buy one ;)

nthn 2017-05-10 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1527872)

For what it's worth, there are serious efforts undergoing to resurrect woolly mammoths (well, an elephant-mammoth hybrid), and I'm sure there's at least one mad scientist hard at work to do the same for sabre-tooth tigers.

pichlo 2017-05-11 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by explit (Post 1527884)
Where i need to sign for sabre-tooth tigers?
will definitive buy one ;)

I doubt you would. The price would be outrageously prohibitive.

juiceme 2017-05-12 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1527908)
I doubt you would. The price would be outrageously prohibitive.

That's probably okay since smilodons would be prohibitively rageous out there anyway. :p

pichlo 2017-05-12 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1527949)
rageous

Thanks, I have learned something new today.

mikecomputing 2017-05-12 20:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFRuHyntW0

m4r0v3r 2017-05-13 20:33

may as well ask for sailfish

LouisDK 2017-05-14 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1527988)
may as well ask for sailfish

Exactly. This is utopia. I get it. Maemo and MeeGo were awesome mobile OSes at a time but it time to move forward and use our energy on SailfishOS - the true MeeGo successor imho.

Here's no chance Nokia would focus on MeeGo again. They don't even produce phones anymore - they just license the brand.

Personally I think MeeGo has a way bigger chance for success in the hands of Jolla (as SailfishOS). Nokia could easily have killed it after a few years like Backberry and Blackberry 10 if they haven't sold out to Microsoft. Furthermore Jolla cares a lot more about openness, community, privacy and security that Nokia would ever do.

nthn 2017-05-14 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisDK (Post 1528001)
Jolla cares a lot more about openness, community, privacy and security that Nokia would ever do.

[citation needed]

gerbick 2017-05-15 04:54

In the mobile world, openness has rarely meant success. I truly don't care now much for how open a platform can be. I often worry about how well they will fare against the established leaders in the mobile sector and how long they will be supported.

pichlo 2017-05-15 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1528013)
In the mobile world, openness has rarely meant success.

You are saying it like there was a world in which it did :)

gerbick 2017-05-15 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1528037)
You are saying it like there was a world in which it did

Embedded systems and servers have benefited quite nicely from openness.

pichlo 2017-05-15 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1528039)
Embedded systems and servers have benefited quite nicely from openness.

I admit I do not know much about servers but I work on embedded systems day in day out and I can say with confidence that I cannot confirm your assertion.

gerbick 2017-05-15 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1528040)
I admit I do not know much about servers but I work on embedded systems day in day out and I can say with confidence that I cannot confirm your assertion.

Without embedded Linux, we'd not see the proliferation of embedded systems as we do now. Not all - citation needed for the pedants - but a lot of these devices can backtrack to some open kernel.

chenliangchen 2017-05-15 21:40

The toughest aspect is commercial - it's not cheap maintaining an OS and adding more features. Not even the investment to build it's own eco-system or anything related.

On the other side the return is not foreseeable, at least in a short period. So in investor or management perspective this is not feasible.

chilango 2017-05-16 00:49

Best way were to put N9 UI under GPL

juiceme 2017-05-16 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1528040)

What a coincidence, since I work with both the server and client side of systems which might be called embedded in the wide sense of the word, altough the size of the devices is a little larger than what you could comfortably hold in your hand...

And I can confidently assure you that without open source software the products would be very different indeed.
I am not saying they would not exist but... everything would be about an order of magnitude harder :D

Sam Za Nemesis 2017-05-27 01:23

Why Meego? I doubt Nokia even has the R&D (or even that they believe that it's viable in the market) needed to make an OS from scratch again. Just get Nemo on these devices with the HADK ;^)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...2-untitled.png