maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition May 2019: Lighting (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100736)

mosen 2019-05-04 10:08

Camera phone competition May 2019: Lighting

One could say it could not get any easier by selecting the most basic feature of photography, light entering through a lense and being digitized by any kind of sensor as topic.
On the other hand, photos like fellfroschs dice with cool shadow play, nh1402s fully lighted postcard or Macros nightscene towers could be compared on a level not restricted by the subject of the picture but the photographers skill to present it.

Wish you all a steady hand for Mays theme: Lighting

Rules are as usual :
  • Photos must be taken during this month (after theme is announced) and posted before voting starts
  • Photos must be taken by the posting member
  • Photos must be taken with a camera phone
  • Users post only one photo per entry
  • Users can change the entry only once
  • Users must name the phone they used (and software if not stock)
  • Post processing is allowed but you have to say what you did
  • 3 days voting period starts on May 28th at 20:00 UTC and ends on the evening of May 31st

catbus 2019-05-06 18:25

Re: Camera phone competition May 2019: Lighting

My first thought was That What? - Lightning? - This time of the year? - before I realized... ;)

Maybe I should go to an optician or back to school to learn to read.

Amboss 2019-05-07 08:13

Either I need to see one as well or...

My first thought was: camera of a mobile phone - focus time vs. lightning speed? Ouch

Macros 2019-05-07 13:22

Just in case someone doesn't know:

With many phones you can also press and hold the shutter icon to lock focus and release in the moment you want to capture.

With them being phones you need good lighting of course and even which a good camera you would be to slow for lightning, but it served me well enough to capture a marble in a loop.

robthebold 2019-05-07 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1556686)
My first thought was That What? - Lightning? - This time of the year? - before I realized... ;)

Maybe I should go to an optician or back to school to learn to read.

Lightning would certainly be an exciting phenomenon to photograph! It's the perfect time of year for me: Tornado Season! Of course there are the issues of how to trigger the shutter in time. And personal safety . . .

Lighting, on the other hand, requires a little more patience in setup and a little less risk I think. I had a pretty neat opportunity recently with a fantastic glowing sunset reflected on a wet road but I only made a quick snap of it (and of course it's not eligible due to timing).

Nevertheless, I'm pretty excited about the topic and am eager to find a subject.

Ed. Holy crap! Here's some guy* who got several examples of Lighting and Lightning in one photo yesterday! Too bad he's (presumably) not a TMO member :( Also not enough exif info preserved to tell if it was taken with a phone.

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/...de-soto-ks.jpg

*Travis Maxwell, who I do not know, but props, man!

catbus 2019-05-07 19:36

2 Attachment(s)
WOW!

I don't think Mr. Maxwell took that with camera? If, then wow˛

Sorry little more OT but i took these two myself; first by N9 and second by Canon SX10IS (+software):

First one is from 2015 when storm was coming and 10 seconds later was dark as night... Second is from 2010 when one july night was hard lightning-storm...

mosen 2019-05-08 08:59

I vote #1 Travis Maxwell

Maemish 2019-05-08 22:49

1 Attachment(s)
Not to forget to post a pic. N900 with BlessN900 HQ Mode. Of the 100 years old accordion I took apart and have been fixing.

DDark 2019-05-09 14:49

https://i.postimg.cc/3RP5KtDW/2-ADA2...5-ACB8-C68.jpg

Far stretched the definition of lighting, to the light being reflected from water surface and creating reflection.

iPhone X, Ztylus Revolver Polarizing filter, and small touch on brightness and color on builtin app

P.S. just a cool pic that I want to share.

fooxl 2019-05-10 08:06

Very good choice of topic, this seems to be. The Fotos are amazing.

Should have experimented more with my n900.

Here is my contribution to the competition:

https://nc.fuxl.info/index.php/s/qC7...tszsob/preview

Element Of Crime playing in Vienna.

Xperia X - Sailfish X stock camera.

Macros 2019-05-10 14:26

I always wonder how all of you can post their pictures so early. I wait the hole month for opportunities and then select the picture I like most to submit it.

Nice pictures nonetheless!

And sometimes I forget to select one before the deadline

robthebold 2019-05-10 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1556823)
I always wonder how all of you can post their pictures so early. I wait the hole month for opportunities and then select the picture I like most to submit it.

Nice pictures nonetheless!

And sometimes I forget to select one before the deadline

I, too usually wait for the last few days to upload my entry. But a seldom-used rule in the contest is that you can change your entry once. So if you find something you love, you could go ahead and post it early knowing that if, at the end of the month, something better comes along you can switch.

catbus 2019-05-10 17:43

Mine was very old OT-pictures... I'm waiting some idea and hope it won't take too long...

levone1 2019-05-13 13:33

1 Attachment(s)
Ever heard that song, "Hymn to the Big Sky"?
Xperia X Compact; SF 3.0.3.9; stock camera with default settings; I edited with a hi-def filter and cropped to 4:3 with SF built-in editor in Gallery app...

pichlo 2019-05-13 14:06

Damn. I tried the obvious picture-of-the-sky too but it turned out too pants for submitting and now I can't even try again since you beat me to it.

Never mind, it would not really fit the topic anyway. The topic is "Lighting", not "Light". The way I understand the topic, it should be about taking a photo of any subject using a particularly interesting arrangement of illumination and/or shadow. Back to the drawing board it is.

levone1 2019-05-13 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556959)
Damn. I tried the obvious picture-of-the-sky too but it turned out too pants for submitting and now I can't even try again since you beat me to it.

Never mind, it would not really fit the topic anyway. The topic is "Lighting", not "Light". The way I understand the topic, it should be about taking a photo of any subject using a particularly interesting arrangement of illumination and/or shadow. Back to the drawing board it is.

I had the same thought, but I liked the way it came out, and I figured the subject could be the clouds, or the water... Sadly, I had a couple of better ones, but I failed to keep my own flash-junky policy about immediately backing up anything wanted, and had to wipe my userdata to restore a brick, so I lost them... Well, I still have a chance to change it once.

catbus 2019-05-13 20:10

^Only if You find better one... I think this suite well with topic ... The sea is very nice "Lighting" and You show also where the light comes from... Very beautiful picture!

pichlo 2019-05-13 20:25

Indeed! To clarify, I did not mean that your pucture would not fit the topic. As catbus said, it does! I meant that mine wouldn't.

Pentona 2019-05-13 21:04

https://i.lensdump.com/i/W7DOhK.jpg

Sony Xperia XA2, cropped to square in Sailfish's Gallery.

Maemish 2019-05-13 21:14

This from Pentona was not taken today in Finland. Atleast not in south. Darn it was cold to drive with motorcycle. But I reeeally like your picture. The light coming through. And the setting ia beautiful. Well done!

Pentona 2019-05-13 22:03

It was taken on Sunday. Unfortunately hanami is mostly over, so no sakura photos, which I'd have preferred, so apple will have to do.

pichlo 2019-05-14 07:07

1 Attachment(s)
Oh what the fsck, here is my entry. Taken just a few minutes ago with my trusted Jolla 1, stock camera. No prizes for working out what it is.

Attachment 40528

A special note to juiceme: I know, I know, "too small". Whatever. Get that damn TMO uploader fixed.

pichlo 2019-05-14 07:25

3 Attachment(s)
As an extra bonus, here are three candidates I had considered and rejected even before levone1's excellent submission.
Please note that they are all not part of the competition!

Rejected candidate 1,
"Field at dusk"

Attachment 40529

I was passing this field close to my house when I noticed nice long shadows and a short arc of a rainbow at the background. Unfortunately, by the time I managed to safely cross the road and set up my equipment, the rainbow had almost completely gone. There is still a small hint just about visible above the white shed in the left.

Rejected candidate 2,
"Way home"

Attachment 40530

This is exactly what I meant by not quite fitting the theme.

Rejected candidate 3,
"My street"

Attachment 40531

Yes, it is really my street. The white thing on the right with small windows and a car parked in front of it is my house.
I swear it looked better in real life but the camera turned it into a piece of 5h!t. Burnt out sky and the street drowning in darkness. It looked nothing like that to the naked eye.

Fellfrosch 2019-05-14 08:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557001)
Yes, it is really my street. The white thing on the right with small windows and a car parked in front of it is my house.
I swear it looked better in real life but the camera turned it into a piece of 5h!t. Burnt out sky and the street drowning in darkness. It looked nothing like that to the naked eye.

Well I don't find it that bad:

pichlo 2019-05-14 08:51

Yeah, but that would be post-processing and hence cheating ;)
(Plus you lose some sharpness.)

DDark 2019-05-14 09:05

I like the "way home" one.

And as far as I see, it is more related to the "Lighting" theme than my entry.

Fellfrosch 2019-05-14 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557008)
Yeah, but that would be post-processing and hence cheating ;)
(Plus you lose some sharpness.)

If I remember right, post processing is allowed as long as you describe what you have done. :p

But I'm with you. I wouldn't throw such a heavily altered pic in a competition like ours, even so it's in principal allowed.

(You don't lose sharpness but contrast. But of course you could compensate that. That was just a VERY quick and dirty job :o)

juiceme 2019-05-14 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557000)
Oh what the fsck, here is my entry. Taken just a few minutes ago with my trusted Jolla 1, stock camera. No prizes for working out what it is.

A special note to juiceme: I know, I know, "too small". Whatever. Get that damn TMO uploader fixed.

Actually, I quite love this picture!
The structure and consistency of it is such that this is one of the rare cases where the absolute size does matter. :p

Well Done!

Fellfrosch 2019-05-14 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1557017)
Actually, I quite love this picture!
The structure and consistency of it is such that this is one of the rare cases where the absolute size does matter. :p

Well Done!

So I'm not alone! For me one of the best pics of the whole competition (not only May 2019) so far!

fooxl 2019-05-14 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557000)
No prizes for working out what it is.

Fellfrosch IRL?

Fellfrosch 2019-05-14 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooxl (Post 1557022)
Fellfrosch IRL?

Maybe, but which part? :D;)

catbus 2019-05-14 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1557030)
Maybe, but which part? :D;)

"Littlefinger" rather than the "White King"? ;)

[edit]
Ok, so maybe i misunderstood ... so Fellfrosch is not the "Prize"? - or nobody do not follow GoT? or am i missing something... oh yes, the picture... sorry about OT, again...
[/edit]

robthebold 2019-05-16 02:42

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...94baa9bd_o.jpg

D'oh, a deer! If the world hands you a deer walking into a sunbeam in a month where the photo contest theme is "lighting," I guess you better try to photograph it!

OnePlus One running UBPorts (Ubuntu Touch). Stock (and, I think, only) camera. Cropped and contrast adjusted a little with digiKam photo editor on desktop Ubuntu.

(Xperia X is on bed rest right now due to screen-smashing. :( )

Odocoileus virginianus macrourus

peterleinchen 2019-05-16 06:26

At first look I thought it is a kangaroo :)

Fellfrosch 2019-05-16 19:17

I was really impressed by pichlo's entry, so I was inspired to made some variants:

https://i.ibb.co/vV78zPf/20190515-100335.jpg

This is of course not my entry. That would be intellectual theft. So this is my entry (Xperia X, cropping and a little white balance shift via darktable):

https://i.ibb.co/dj0CLT9/20190516-195212.jpg

EDIT:
I just recognized, that I had some settings in darktable active, that erased completely any exif data of Jpgs (I usually work with RAW format). That wasn't my intention and unfortunately this settings were also active with my previous entries. So I could have delivered also pics of my DSLR or pics made at a different time. I'm really sorry for that. I exchanged the last pic, so that all exifs are readable.

catbus 2019-05-16 21:03

Wow!!! So brilliant pictures... Maybe i just vote this month...

Fellfrosch 2019-05-17 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1557102)
Maybe i just vote this month...

No way! You have to deliver, there is no other option! ;)

Seriously, the competition is for fun. The more participants the better.
And judging from the pics you showed at the beginning of the thread, your chances to win are not worse than mine.

Further on, I was already keen on seeing your car in nice lighting. :)

catbus 2019-05-17 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1557110)
No way! You have to deliver, there is no other option! ;)

There is always(tm) other option... And nominations are (drums...):
  • a) Deliver (_)
  • b) Participate (_)
  • c) Take a picture and upload it to TMO Camera phone competetion May 2019: Lighting (_)
  • d) Canada (_)

Quote:

Seriously, the competition is for fun. The more participants the better.
That's why i "reloaded" this "game", this is Fun!

Quote:

And judging from the pics you showed at the beginning of the thread, your chances to win are not worse than mine.
I don't want to win, just "Canada" ;)

Quote:

Further on, I was already keen on seeing your car in nice lighting. :)
So You mean I have to wash it? :eek:

Amboss 2019-05-18 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1557133)
So You mean I have to wash it? :eek:

Naah, not really. The lighting just has to be right for the dirt to come out nicely or to blend in with the dirt. :D

catbus 2019-05-18 19:35

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amboss (Post 1557153)
Naah, not really. The lighting just has to be right for the dirt to come out nicely or to blend in with the dirt. :D

Ooh... Two prayers is enough... These are not for competition but for "dirty car" -lovers ;) - Yes, 4WD and enough Power... - I'l hope to shot real-one before timelimit...