maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The easy way to connect N800 to I go keyboard (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=13789)

tori 2007-12-25 12:02

The easy way to connect N800 to I go keyboard

I've tried a lot, almost gave up..

But, When I foung out the review of :
Plumbing Nightmares "Tudor Homes" (Atlanta / London)
an amazon customer who bought it,

1. Go to Control Panel on the N800
2. Click 'Hardware Keyboard' (OS 2007) or 'Bluetooth keyboard' (OS 2008)
3. Select 'Generic 105-key PC'
4. In control panel click 'Bluetooth' (can click Pair if using OS 2008)
5. Make sure 'Bluetooth' is checked and 'Visible' is Checked
6. Click on Button 'Devices'
7. Click on Button 'New'
8. On the Igo keyboard hold down the left CNTRL KEY, The BLUE fn key and the GREEN fn key at the same time
9. A GREEN LED above the T key will begin to flash.
10. Nokia N800 will display 'Think Outside Keyboard'
11. Highlight the 'Think Outside Keyboard'
12. Click 'OK'
13. 'Pair with Device' dialogue will appear
14. Note the Passcode number
15. Click button 'OK'
16. While holding down the BLUE Fn key (to enter numerics) type the passcode as you noted in step 14. Then hit enter.
17. Hey Presto you now have a full size keyboard for your N800

source: http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending

just great , thanks to him and also can be surely useful for others

ch8xy 2007-12-25 12:38

Re: The easy way to connect N800 to I go keyboard

I forgot: in step 16, do you still hold the blue key down while pressing the enter key?

rayhart 2007-12-25 13:08

This has been covered before, but your explaination is the best. Why don't you put this in the wiki under the accessories section.

tori 2007-12-25 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch8xy (Post 115188)
I forgot: in step 16, do you still hold the blue key down while pressing the enter key?

you don't need to hold the blue key down while pressing enter

And. the explanation above is not mine, I quote it

Robert Ray 2007-12-29 21:49

Where were you three weeks ago! By far the best directions for the i-go connection. I finally got mine to recognise each other but not before I had done so many different combinations that I gave up and ordered a Nokia keyboard. Decided to give it one more try and it connected. Now I have a new Nokia as backup should the I-go go bad. Thanks should help many others.
When I contacted I-go they told me there keyboard was incompatible with a linux based tablet. I replied to them with their incompatible keyboard
Robert

munkey 2007-12-29 23:18

great! now I can pair it.

next problem: how do I remove this stupid sticker from the case and keys!!!?

I agree with this quote from the amazon reviewers. I think amazon got a bunch of these cheap because of the impossible to remove sticker on it!

Quote:

BUT... some rocket scientist at iGo decided to place a big, friendly "How To Use Me" sticker across the keys and the case. It's a nice thing to do, but instead of using Post-It glue so you could easily remove the sticker, they used industrial-strength price-sticker glue that DOESN'T COME OFF. In removing the sticker, one of the keys broke off. Amazon made good on it and replaced it, but the manufacturer was entirely useless in this regard and refused to do anything about it.

(I think iGo or Amazon's supplier must have had a large inventory of these with the bad stickers that they are unloading on Amazon at a fraction of the original price, which is why the price here is so very low compared to everywhere else, and which is also why the manufacturer's website is sold out on these right now.)

If you get this, REMOVE THE STICKER VERY CAREFULLY and plan on it taking awhile. I found that RUBBING worked better than scratching, but it was still impossible to get all of the residue off and of course I damaged the key.

gemniii42 2007-12-30 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 117526)

I agree with this quote from the amazon reviewers. I think amazon got a bunch of these cheap because of the impossible to remove sticker on it!

Actually the paper wears off, I expect in a few years I'll be able to fully see my "L" key.
:)

GeneralAntilles 2007-12-30 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemniii42 (Post 117594)
Actually the paper wears off, I expect in a few years I'll be able to fully see my "L" key.
:)

Seriously, what the hell kind of cheap sticker are they using.

Take heart, though, as there is an easy solution! There's this wonderful stuff known as Ronsonol, it's lighter fluid that comes in a yellow and blue plastic container that's available from most drugstores. Unlike most lighterfluids, Ronsonol is naphtha based and incredibly effective at removing almost any stick (worked in a used bookstore for a few years and we used it for getting stickers off old books—very effective). It wont stain and it evaporates very quickly!

Just be sure to buy Ronson, as almost all other lighter fluids are nasty butane-based stuff that wont get rid of stick and will just leave you with a big stinky firehazard (though they are actually better lighter fluids).

LordFu 2007-12-30 05:47

Yeah, that's exactly how I did it. It took me a half-hour to figure out, since I've never had anything bluetooth before. Thanks for posting them for everyone!

4mula1 2007-12-30 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 117526)

I learned on another forum to NOT use a hairdryer.

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=59

I just rubbed in a circular motion with my finger until it was gone. It took probably 40 minutes off and on.Ended up with a blister on my right index finger and a swollen eye the next morning because I apparently didn't get all of the adhesive off of my finger before I rubbed my eye at some point. My wife kindly offered to make the other eye match...

In a factory somewhere in China is a guy putting on stickers laughing himself silly knowing what awaits us.

GeneralAntilles 2007-12-30 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4mula1 (Post 117760)
I just rubbed in a circular motion with my finger until it was gone. It took probably 40 minutes off and on.Ended up with a blister on my right index finger and a swollen eye the next morning because I apparently didn't get all of the adhesive off of my finger before I rubbed my eye at some point. My wife kindly offered to make the other eye match...

Or just save yourself a lot of pain and use the solution I posted above. :rolleyes:

4mula1 2007-12-30 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 117851)
Or just save yourself a lot of pain and use the solution I posted above. :rolleyes:

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

pronuke 2007-12-31 03:08

I just picked up an iGo Stowaway keybaord to use with my n800. I'm sorry to say the @#%! sticker is still in use!

It took me 30 minutes and two glasses of my fav adult beverage to remove the blasted thing with my thumbnail, a pair of tweesers, and some scotch tape.:mad:

It's a wonderful additon, and at <$40 was a great deal, but WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!

Oh...just for clarification, I didn't use the beverage as a solvent - I drank it.

GeneralAntilles 2007-12-31 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pronuke (Post 118135)
<needless suffering />

Seriously, to anybody and everybody who has received or will be receiving one of these keyboards, do yourself a favor and go pick up a bottle of Ronsonol, it'll save you so much time and energy getting off the stick. Just two quick swipes with a paper towel!

ssmith 2007-12-31 03:28

This is great to know, General. I have one of these keyboards on the way, and just happen to already have a bottle of Ronsonol, so you've saved me from the needless suffering!

LordFu 2007-12-31 09:34

Thanks for the tip. That sticker was a pain.

PLeBlanc 2008-01-02 23:15

Got mine from Amazon about a month ago, and there was no sticker. So not everybody who gets one of these at this great price will have to go through this pain. Sorry for those of you who did though.

pattoo 2008-01-18 16:16

A bit of WD40 on a rag is great for removing the glue residue!
--pattoo

geneven 2008-01-18 16:24

Mine had the same obnoxious sticker and it did take me a few minutes to get rid of the parts on the keyboard. The other parts are still there, since they don't impede typing.

n900spack 2008-01-18 17:49

I just received the iGo keyboard and it had the 'dreaded sticker'. Maybe they changed it, because mine peeled-off without any effort or glue staying behind. You do need to be careful and peel from an end and go slow. I also find that a citrus cleaner removes sticker residue easily, but may attack some plastics.

dick_turpin 2008-01-19 19:27

Many thanks, spent all day smacking my head off the wall on this one, now paired with my N810 seems all the keys are working fine.

Just need to fathom out how to pair the igo keyboard with my Nokia 6300 phone and sort the driver, stupid install CD seems broken.

Deserttaxguy 2008-01-19 21:25

Whats the deal with the Igo website where we are supposed to get the drivers over the air? I get error 404 or what ever for file not found.
I like my board and got it working with my Palm, but I havent figured out (subject to this post) getting it paired withe N800.
Why would I-go let their web site get into such disrepair? Or am I mis understanding that error?

GeneralAntilles 2008-01-19 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserttaxguy (Post 130670)
Whats the deal with the Igo website where we are supposed to get the drivers over the air? I get error 404 or what ever for file not found.

You don't need drivers for maemo. It's a standard HID device.

ylsf 2008-01-21 03:00

I was using my older Stowaway style keyboard (Dell branded "Think Outside" keyboard). I was typing a mesasge last night in gmail and I found that I was typing than it would show up on the screen. It would "buffer" and eventually show up on the screen but it was very annoying. Anyone else having problems with that?

I am wondering if the predictive text is slowing it down?

Deserttaxguy 2008-01-21 19:58

I can type a little faster than it can receive like you are, so we will have to slow down a bit or figure out how to optimize our settings.
New question- Once you are paired to the keyboard, could somebody post some tips on shutting it off, and on and any other tips for using the I-go.
My keyboard matches up quickly when you open it and types great. My question is, once the tablet thinks its using a keyboard I cant get it to use the onboard keyboard again with out rebooting the tablet. What do you do when you are done using the keyboard and want to go back to the stylus? Thank you.

tso 2008-01-22 17:54

heh, just got a freedom universal connected using a similar process.
very easy to connect bluetooth keyboards to the N800 :D

migs 2008-01-29 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserttaxguy (Post 131597)
I can type a little faster than it can receive like you are, so we will have to slow down a bit or figure out how to optimize our settings.
New question- Once you are paired to the keyboard, could somebody post some tips on shutting it off, and on and any other tips for using the I-go.
My keyboard matches up quickly when you open it and types great. My question is, once the tablet thinks its using a keyboard I cant get it to use the onboard keyboard again with out rebooting the tablet. What do you do when you are done using the keyboard and want to go back to the stylus? Thank you.

I'm having the same issue as you I suddenly lose connection and I can't reconnect until I reboot. I have the ThinkOutside branded keyboard which I thought was the same as the iGo.

Deserttaxguy 2008-01-29 07:20

Dear Migs, I can't figure it out either. But offer this; maybe you are only experiencing the timeout factor and I am pushing the pg up or pg dn arrrow and it wakes up.
But, sadly now, when I shut off my tablet and the keyboard I have to go through the repairing process everytime to get it started again.
Am I screwing up? Maybe there's a way to preserve the connection after shutting down? I'm not using bluetooth for anything else, so I thought when I open the board it would link right up, but its not. Thanks for everybody's ideas. I love my keyboard. How long does it last on batteries? I put in some new Energizer Lithium batts in mine when I got it, and now I've gone 3 full 8 or 9 hr days of multiple startups with no problems.. Good recommendation so far.

zeleftikam 2008-01-29 07:35

17 steps is "easy"? Boy, I thought Bluetooth was supposed to be more seamless than this... Disappointed in technology AGAIN :eek:

GeneralAntilles 2008-01-29 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeleftikam (Post 135112)
17 steps is "easy"? Boy, I thought Bluetooth was supposed to be more seamless than this... Disappointed in technology AGAIN :eek:

It's actually really straightforward. The granularity of steps steps is just pretty high. It could just as well be put:
  1. Choose layout.
  2. Pair.
  3. Use.

jaslar 2008-01-29 22:53

Hmm. I've upgraded to 2008OS, on the N800, and suddenly, I can no longer pair anymore. Whether I go to the Bluetooth>New Device route, or Bluetooth Keyboard, I press the keys to make the keyboard discoverable (the iGo Stowaway, as above), then it is detected. I choose OK, and get a passcode. I tap OK, and IMMEDIATELY get "Pairing failed. Try again?" I've also tried typing the passcode FIRST, but that doesn't work either. Tips?

Later: I see someone had a similar issue with the SU-8W keyboard. Since I did restore my backup, that might be the cause. Is there some way to make the Nokia forget the previous setting? Is that the issue here?

Later still: in Control Panel>Tools, there's a Clear Device option. however, one is then prompted for a "lock code." Haven't got one, I think! (OK, anOTHER search finds 1234 or 12345 is supposed to work. I'll try that now.)

BoxOfSnoo 2008-01-30 02:38

I had a bunch of failures, until I typed the passcode, then pressed OK. I think it just kept trying until it timed everything right.

Then only a reboot made it all work right, I couldn't bring up the regular stylus keyboard until I did.

I can't figure out the logic of what brings up that bottom word completion bar though...

Deserttaxguy 2008-01-30 02:56

Thats a key step in pairing- type the code on the board. It doesnt appear to be doing anything, but that registers the board..type the 4 digits you see and push enter. Oh, it goes with out saying you need to be sure the green light on your board is flashing while you do all this.
Today I had the good fortune of going in the conference room, turning on my N800, taking out my IGO stowaway; opening it and by some miracle I have yet to understand- Bluetooth indicator went blue and I was writing in the note text editor with no additional pairing or hassling.. Worked all day and never lost contact too. What a pleasure.!

viktorfrankl 2008-01-30 04:28

how do you turn off predictive text? it really slows down typing.

jaslar 2008-01-30 05:46

viktorfrankl, I think I can help with that. In 2008 OS, Control panel>Text input settings>Languages>1st language settings> then uncheck word completion and next word prediction. It took some hunting around to find it, though.

I did try entering the keys both before and after pressing OK -- without apparent effect. This is a major problem!

viktorfrankl 2008-01-30 05:49

word, that worked for me!

strick9 2008-02-01 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaslar (Post 135419)
Hmm. I've upgraded to 2008OS, on the N800, and suddenly, I can no longer pair anymore. Whether I go to the Bluetooth>New Device route, or Bluetooth Keyboard, I press the keys to make the keyboard discoverable (the iGo Stowaway, as above), then it is detected. I choose OK, and get a passcode. I tap OK, and IMMEDIATELY get "Pairing failed. Try again?" I've also tried typing the passcode FIRST, but that doesn't work either. Tips?

I am seeing the same issue. I had my iGo paired two days ago. I then updated to OS2008 yesterday. Now I have no keyboard. All attempts to pair give no time to enter the code on the keyboard.

Has anyone seen a solution yet? It feels like an OS2008 issue at this point as it is not waiting for the code to be entered on the keyboard.

Thanks,
Strick9

cseals3 2008-02-02 15:57

I've tried everything that I've read here and elsewhere on my new (to me) N800 with OS2008 just flashed. No luck. 'Course never had any luck with the IGO and the 770 either. I've tried different sequences when entering the pass code, but still nothing. Any ideas out there? TIA, Carl

jaslar 2008-02-03 01:59

So it seems that we have some verified reports of this happening to more than one person. The good news: I'm not crazy. (Well, no, I can't conclude that. But the report of the problem is confirmed.) The bad news: if there's no other tip than "keep trying," what happens next? Do we actually have developers here who we can hope will see this, and try to work on it?

BoxOfSnoo 2008-02-03 03:26

Did you try typing the 4 digit code + enter BEFORE hitting OK?

Alternatively, try the code, then OK, then enter. I suspect it's timing out really quickly.