maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Any news on N810 successor? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23413)

spd2last 2008-09-06 07:16

Any news on N810 successor?

Hi guys,

I've been on and off this forum since early July. I've become interested in purchasing a device that will let me listen to my music, watch my movies, surf the web smoothly (and hopefully with full Flash support), touchscreen, plenty of space or at least expandable, customizable/hackable, good battery life, and Bluetooth+GPS are nice but not essential.

I've been looking at the iPod Touch (once it's jailbroken, you can install many different useful programs because God knows you can only have so many flashlight apps), the Archos 5 (it's not open/hackable and it's still just released so I'm still waiting on good reviews for the device, but still very nice nonetheless), and finally the Nokia N810...

While I really like the Ipod and Archos, I keep coming back to the N810. I know that no device is perfect and each has their flaws, but there's something about the N810 that really attracts me to it. Only thing bothering me is that I have had the worst luck when it comes to buying gadgets. With the decreased prices of the N810 being seen from many webstores, you can only imagine that they are either not selling so well or there is a new one on its way.

So my question is: Are there any reliable rumors or any bits of information that a direct successor to the N810 is coming? Please, I don't want you guys thinking "Oh here we go with another one of these threads." But there are references to the N900 or N820 spread all around the forum and since I don't have the time to read through every thread, I wanted to bring it all together in this one thread.

Any help/information would be great. Thanks.

geneven 2008-09-06 07:30

Re: Any news on N810 successor?

I don't think there are any reliable rumors. The big threads on the N900 would be the source of info. If anyone says anything authoritative-sounding I wouldn't believe it unless their name ended in rat.

danramos 2008-09-06 07:56

They're all LIES and RUMORS! Vicious LIES! Nothing has been leaked nor confirmed by anyone of credit from Nokia, as far as I know. :) As for the N900 thread, just like the initial post basically gets across: it's just nice to dream.. so what would you LIKE to see? It's not a hint that there's one coming--just a wishlist from a bunch of fanboys and fangirls (are there any here?) like us. :)

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-06 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 221379)
They're all LIES and RUMORS! Vicious LIES! Nothing has been leaked nor confirmed by anyone of credit from Nokia, as far as I know. :) As for the N900 thread, just like the initial post basically gets across: it's just nice to dream.. so what would you LIKE to see? It's not a hint that there's one coming--just a wishlist from a bunch of fanboys and fangirls (are there any here?) like us. :)

Well, the best hints around are the numerous @nokia commits to linux-omap.

jellotherat 2008-09-06 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 221376)
If anyone says anything authoritative-sounding I wouldn't believe it unless their name ended in rat.

I hope you're not expecting anything from me. I'm just as clueless as everyone else! :p

iamthewalrus 2008-09-06 09:54

With the previous versions of the Internet Tablets there has been a year between every update (Not counting the n810 wimax edition), so it is reasonabe to assume a new tablet before the end of this year.

[edit]
even the OS names suggest a yearly update scheme (OS2006, OS2007, OS2008) etc.
[/edit]

geneven 2008-09-06 10:12

I was afraid there was another rat hanging around...

sjgadsby 2008-09-06 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 221402)
I was afraid there was another rat hanging around...

In addition to the wiggly, jiggly rat above and the Lone Star rat you had in mind, there's also, at least, tabletrat and mrlanrat. The health department is going to bust Reggie for sure.

thoughtfix 2008-09-06 19:10

Yes... The Nokia/maemo/Internet Tablet team is working their collective *** off on SOMETHING. That much is obvious. To us "outsiders," though, they're doing a good job hiding WHAT.

(sigh) At least we know they read these forums and hopefully take our desires into design consideration. I am anxious.

spd2last 2008-09-06 19:21

An official word from them would be great though, lol.

I'm planning on making my purchase late October, so I HOPE that something will be known by then. I'm in school now working my way up to be a computer engineer, and I have to travel between two campuses. But with the diversity of my classes (some are pure lectures while others are labs and such) and location, it's not so nice lugging around my laptop everywhere I go. So I'd pretty much like to have that all-in-one device minus the phone because I'm happy with my phone.

mscdex 2008-09-06 19:42

I don't think they will have a new tablet before late October.

Texrat 2008-09-07 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 221376)
If anyone says anything authoritative-sounding I wouldn't believe it unless their name ended in rat.

Or -gil. Or -nar. Or -ra. Or -gor. ;)

And I refuse to say anything authoritive. I still want to keep my job. :p

gemniii42 2008-09-07 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 221582)
Or -gil. Or -nar. Or -ra. Or -gor. ;)

And I refuse to say anything authoritive. I still want to keep my job. :p

That ("And I refuse to say anything authoritive.") sounded authoritive! or rather authoritative.

Texrat 2008-09-07 04:21

okay, I misspelled a word. :p

Jaffa 2008-09-07 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtfix (Post 221492)
Yes... The Nokia/maemo/Internet Tablet team is working their collective *** off on SOMETHING. That much is obvious.

Yes, a new tablet is obviously in the works. I suspect we'll see it with Fremantle. However, I don't think it's evident from a quietness:

a) It's been summer holiday time.
b) The general level of Nokian participance in things like Bugzilla has increased.

Quote:

To us "outsiders," though, they're doing a good job hiding WHAT.
Not so much, things we definitely know Fremantle will have:
  1. Beta releases of the SDK for developers
  2. A consistent, finger-oriented UI with kinetic scrolling
  3. Mainstream-ready
  4. Lockable homepage applets
  5. X.org base
  6. Better Qt integration
  7. ...

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff we know will be coming. We'll obviously know more after the summit where it seems almost definite that there'll be more detail on the Fremantle plans.

Quote:

(sigh) At least we know they read these forums and hopefully take our desires into design consideration. I am anxious.
Hardware design is, apparently, outside of the scope of the Maemo Software team who we've seen participating in the various fora. Software plans'll've been fixed for a while...

jzencovich 2008-09-07 13:22

Personally, I too agree that the next-gen tablet is coming soon, within months. Actually, non-coincidentally, probably around the same time as the launch of the first Android phone.

---

Ok guys, let's analyze everything Tex said to look for clues!

Quote:

okay, I misspelled a word.
Maybe.... he's hinting that there will be autocomplete built into the keyboard! Score! I got one!

:p

(I keeed tex, not trying to get you fired! We all love you here :) .... and your hints :p )

jzencovich 2008-09-07 13:31

Actually, this got me thinking, The next-gen tab COULD attempt to compete with Android!

If Android and the next-gen both are released in the same time period, which one would you grab?

Same price range... same functionality (mine phone radio).... tough pick.

I love the tablets, but I'm looking forward to android (regardless that the first phone seems to be the crappy reference design :( ), so I would probably pick up android. Also the tablet has a little ways to go software-wise...

ideas?

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-07 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzencovich (Post 221655)
If Android and the next-gen both are released in the same time period, which one would you grab?

You're kidding, right? A crappy cellphone OS with no native code support running on crappy cellular hardware versus the latest and great ARM SoC running the next best thing to a full blown Linux desktop OS?

Ha.

Zuber 2008-09-07 14:10

Not sure about the Tablets, but with Phones Nokia tend to announce things an absolute age before you can actually buy one.

Based on that, it could be a fair while before you see a new one.

Main thing I'm looking for (putting aside the phone PIM/integration thing) is that they address the video playback issue.

Don't think I'd consider upgrading till it could playback native files at a decent speed without having to mess about downsizing them.

Zuber

Karel Jansens 2008-09-07 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 221656)
You're kidding, right? A crappy cellphone OS with no native code support running on crappy cellular hardware versus the latest and great ARM SoC running the next best thing to a full blown Linux desktop OS?

Ha.

You took the words right out of my mouth; there's absolutely no competition between Nokia and Pandora.

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-07 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 221664)
You took the words right out of my mouth; there's absolutely no competition between Nokia and Pandora.

Yeah, because the Pandora is shipping with lots more than just an emulator loader. :rolleyes:

Do you even know what native code means?

spd2last 2008-09-07 20:51

I find the Pandora to be very ugly... I know it's designed with the gamer in mind (probably ONLY for the gamer) as it has many emulators being worked on, but the layout of it is just plain ugly. Technically, I likey, but that's about it... :confused:

jzencovich 2008-09-08 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 221656)

Ha.

I'm glad I gave you a laugh! ha ha ha!

But no, seriously. What do you mean no native code support?

Android == Linux. Meaning if you want C, you can get C bins onto the phone and run them (not that hard really).

I wouldn't say either "crappy cellular hardware". Both Android and the tablets are ARM, and as far as I understand, Android runs on omap 3 (something which I can't say of the ITs, now).

Though speed is more often than not irrelevant, Android is considerably "faster" (528 vs 400 max). I can't say much about the battery, but I expect Android to be competitive in this corner (I don't want a supercomputer cell phone that only lasts 10 minutes...)

Unless I completely misunderstood what you said. Explain?

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-08 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzencovich (Post 221767)
Android == Linux. Meaning if you want C, you can get C bins onto the phone and run them (not that hard really).

Uh, no, time to read up a on Android. :) There is no native code support. You can run Java applications. That's it.

Quote:

I wouldn't say either "crappy cellular hardware". Both Android and the tablets are ARM, and as far as I understand, Android runs on omap 3 (something which I can't say of the ITs, now).

Which Android phones, exactly? The HTC Dream is a Qualcomm 7201 which is an ARM11. Nowhere close to the Cortex A8 in the OMAP3, and it's only got a dinky little 3.2" 480x320 screen on there.

Besides, what's your point? You can't say anything about any Android hardware, either, since none of it's shipped yet.

Quote:

Though speed is more often than not irrelevant, Android is considerably "faster" (528 vs 400 max). I can't say much about the battery, but I expect Android to be competitive in this corner (I don't want a supercomputer cell phone that only lasts 10 minutes...)

You're comparing unreleased hardware to 2 year old hardware (btw, Android is an OS, it doesn't have MHz :))? What's the point?

Texrat 2008-09-08 01:27

I'm in yur Android, stealin all yur megahurts!

sjgadsby 2008-09-08 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 221779)
I'm in yur Android, stealin all yur megahurts!

Lolrats. Wonderful.

Texrat 2008-09-08 01:46

Lolrats are the natural enemies of lolcats.

and, yikes! http://www.lolrats.com/

sjgadsby 2008-09-08 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 221792)
Lolrats are the natural enemies of lolcats.

That's only logical.

I now await the inevitable posting of nicely captioned photographs of rats holding invizibil pandoorahz.

Texrat 2008-09-08 02:12

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress....use-cookie.jpg

anthonybuchanan 2008-09-08 03:01

lets hope it has a sim card slot

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-08 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 221805)
lets hope it has a sim card slot

Or how 'bout not.

Benson 2008-09-08 03:08

Because, ya know, a rat without a sim slot would be just pathetic.

anthonybuchanan 2008-09-08 04:47

In another thread, a list was compiled of things most desired in the 810 replacement and a sim card was the best and most desired wish.

sjgadsby 2008-09-08 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 221838)
...a sim card was the best...

By what criteria?

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-08 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 221845)
By what criteria?

Emphatic declaration.

anthonybuchanan 2008-09-08 05:09

Its true.

Read the thread titles "What woud you realistically like to see in the N900?"

sjgadsby 2008-09-08 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 221851)
Read the thread titles "What woud you realistically like to see in the N900?"

Oh, I've been following that thread since its inception. (I like comedy.) Therefore, I'm well aware the desire for a SIM slot has been expressed in that thread numerous times. I'm simply curious how you determined that particular request is superior to all others within the thread.

anthonybuchanan 2008-09-08 05:30

A patented and propreitory algorith.

A am not legally authorized to divolge any more info describing how this secret algorith works.

You can trust me though. Our panel of accountants entered all the entries and "sim card" came out on top.

anthonybuchanan 2008-09-08 05:31

sorry. typo. its algorithm.

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-08 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 221858)
sorry. typo. its algorithm.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ttons/edit.gif

The big giant Edit button, use it.