maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   N900 Problem: SIM Card Not Recognized (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36447)

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 15:48

N900 Problem: SIM Card Not Recognized

i got yesturday my n900,amazaing device,but when its start updateing the light went of and it didnt update now my phone phone will not work ,i have symbol of the sim card with a red slash across near battery meter,firt when i put the sim it was working fine,and after update that what ive got,i cant make calls,i called nokia and they said me to call tmobile,i told them the same problem,and they said to call nokia,and now nokia tells me to wait for the new update?so if anybody could give advice or anything please let me know,i dont know what to do.thank you people for help

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 15:58

Re: Problem with the n900

You need to get the flasher. Sec, I'm looking for the link.

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 16:01

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...etup_en_us.exe

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 16:02

Also, please make sure your phone is charged before updating. It sounds like the battery died on you, so make sure it's charged before updating.

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 16:06

ok its fully charged

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 16:10

it cant recognize it,

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 16:12

nope doesnt work,maybe i should do the hard reset?or anything like flash?

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 16:12

Can't recognize what?

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 16:13

You need to download and install the flasher that I linked above.

Then make sure your phone is fully charged.

MAKE SURE THE SIM IS IN IT.

Then run the updater and let it do it's thing. It will take it a few minutes to download the 170+ MB image and then about 4 minutes to actually flash the device.

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 16:22

is this usa version?ive tryied and its says that doesnt support such device

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 16:27

Yes the link I gave you is the U.S. version.

Try this link and pick what version you may need:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...ftware-update#

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:07

no it still that shitty icon there wont move

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 17:07

What icon are you talking about?

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:20

the icon simcard with a red slash accross next to the battery icon

That One Guy 2009-12-09 17:22

Are you sure the SIM card is seated properly in the tray?

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:26

yeah ,the first time after update it was working awsome,and i made calls and sms,but after update i got the icon,my wife is on tmobile also i put her sim also and i had same thing on(sim with red slash)

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:40

do u guys have any clues?

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:46

sim card error

is anybody else had similar sim card error with a red slash accross?

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 17:50

I'm not sure why it wouldnt recognize your SIM unless it's not in there properly. Or the SIM is somehow bad. Put your wife's SIM card in there and see if it works as a test.

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 17:54

Re: sim card error

Try putting your wifes sim in your phone to test

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 17:54

same thing tryed

Laughingstok 2009-12-09 17:57

Ugh, that's no good then. You said it worked before and now it doesn't? I wish I could help you further then but at this point I don't know how you could fix it except maybe triple check that its seated correctly. *shrug*

ruskie 2009-12-09 17:58

Someone merge this with the other one...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36447

We really don't need two threads for the same issue from the same person.

As for the sim card... is it the right way around? did you enter the pin? Does it work in a different device? etc...

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 18:03

gosh no idea what to do bc i got from macmall and he said i also got 2 year warranty from nokia,but it was working awsome,i wish they had a master reset so i could start from the beggining so if its the same thing then im going to repair place so they take a look at it,anybody know how i completly can make my phone hard reset?so its starts from the begging?

amorek13 2009-12-09 18:10

yes
i took the sim out and put it back in and made sure its in correctly and the metal peace is lock properly and never had a problem with it since

teletappi 2009-12-09 18:21

omg hey russian drink some vodka and then it will work :)

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-09 18:32

hey it helps everytime i hit a shot its getting closer for me to throw the phone into the wall ,gosh i hate this sh8t,i think my phone got a problem with the sim card reader,i dont know

spinnukur 2009-12-09 18:35

hmmmmmmm.....wodka... :p

sjgadsby 2009-12-09 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskie (Post 419320)
Someone merge this with the other one...

Threads merged.

kooresh 2009-12-11 15:04

Re: N900 Problem: SIM Card Not Recognized

I have the same issue.
What was the outcome of your problem?
Thanks

vVvRUSSIANvVv 2009-12-11 23:52

i was doing the update and the electric went off,and it didnt complete the update,now it wont recognize,no clues what to do?did you repair yours kooresh?

ABerri 2010-01-06 00:45

My phone has that same sim card problem as well. It will display a small picture of a sim card with a red slash across next to the battery icon. When it used to do it, it would be several times a day but then it would re-register automatically and get back online with T-Mobile. So I didn't really let it bother me too much since it would always be back online within a few minutes.

Now it's been happening a lot more and it never comes back online anymore. I'm always having to power off my device and power it back on in order to have the sim card work properly and NOW this is really starting to piss me off!

Sometimes the power on even fails where it doesn't reach that screen with the two holding hands and just shuts off again while it was on the startup screen with the 4 scrolling dots. This is the point where only a battery pull will work and THAT is starting to piss me off as well.

I never bothered to research on doing a flash cos I never needed to but now I'm thinking it's inevitable. My wife's N900 works flawlessly (knock on wood). If I do a flash, will I have to setup all of my contacts and merge them into conversations app and everything? Gee I'm hoping the firmware update that's coming out soon will rectify this problem.

Devil 2010-01-06 00:50

N900 Problem: SIM Card Not Recognized

thats what she said.

hanh 2010-01-06 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABerri (Post 454931)
My phone has that same sim card problem as well. It will display a small picture of a sim card with a red slash across next to the battery icon. When it used to do it, it would be several times a day but then it would re-register automatically and get back online with T-Mobile. So I didn't really let it bother me too much since it would always be back online within a few minutes.

Now it's been happening a lot more and it never comes back online anymore. I'm always having to power off my device and power it back on in order to have the sim card work properly and NOW this is really starting to piss me off!

Sometimes the power on even fails where it doesn't reach that screen with the two holding hands and just shuts off again while it was on the startup screen with the 4 scrolling dots. This is the point where only a battery pull will work and THAT is starting to piss me off as well.

I never bothered to research on doing a flash cos I never needed to but now I'm thinking it's inevitable. My wife's N900 works flawlessly (knock on wood). If I do a flash, will I have to setup all of my contacts and merge them into conversations app and everything? Gee I'm hoping the firmware update that's coming out soon will rectify this problem.

I have the exact same problem, which I posted in a separate thread some time ago. The general consensus was that my SIM was faulty, so about a month ago, I got a new one. Worked nicely for a few days, but then I started having the same problem on and off, moreso within the last 2 weeks.

My data also rarely works, though T-mo customer service said that might just be an issue associated with the new SIM activation? Additionally, I have issues charging from all types of sources (battery indicator and charging light comes on, but after a few seconds, it stops charging and I need to keep pulling the battery until it decides to charge for real). I do have the same power on issue that you have.

A reflashing might fix these problems, but I'm too lazy, so I'm waiting for the new firmware to come out first. :P

ABerri 2010-01-06 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanh (Post 455157)
I have the exact same problem, which I posted in a separate thread some time ago. The general consensus was that my SIM was faulty, so about a month ago, I got a new one. Worked nicely for a few days, but then I started having the same problem on and off, moreso within the last 2 weeks.

My data also rarely works, though T-mo customer service said that might just be an issue associated with the new SIM activation? Additionally, I have issues charging from all types of sources (battery indicator and charging light comes on, but after a few seconds, it stops charging and I need to keep pulling the battery until it decides to charge for real). I do have the same power on issue that you have.

A reflashing might fix these problems, but I'm too lazy, so I'm waiting for the new firmware to come out first. :P

Ha! You and I are going through the exact same thing! I'm too lazy to flash mine as well cos I'm sure I will have to customize everything all over again. And yes my data also rarely works as well going on and off every few minutes. I have a new sim card at home that came in the box of a Touch Pro 2 I purchased a while ago and was thinking of using that one but since you said your problem returned, I don't think it's the sim card. Besides, the sim that's in my phone right now was purchased back in September so it's only 4 months old. That right there tells me it's not the sim.

I just think like many others on the forum, we have faulty N900's and I can't wait any longer for that firmware update to be released! I'm not looking for extra goodies, I just want all these bugs to be rectified once and for all.

SonicSpinner 2010-01-09 14:12

hey guys

guess what im same boat.
Got my n900 last week. and it cant recognize my sim card.
im using a pay as you go sm card with CBB. danish provider which is under telenor.

i have been researching around with this sim card errors, and i found out that the problem is with new sim cards.
the chip design is different from the old ones.

and i have tried with the old design of same provider, ( my fathers sim card) and that worked fine in my n900.

i called my provider and they can only provide the new designed chip.

so i really hope nokia comes with an update very soon, coz i cant use this phone for jack now.

i took a pic of the 2 different chipset design i have.

the left one is the new design which doesnt work, the right one is the old design which works

http://tinypic.com/r/16gzwpu/6

regards

Sonic

sergnnpls 2010-01-16 12:23

i have got the same problem with my nokia n900 and the sim card. after the update-which went horribly wrong- i cant do anything. only the wifi works. i downloaded the flasher thingy but i dont know how to use it. please please if somebody who knows how to use it, please make a video and post it on youtube. please. i really love this phone and i dont want to see it go to waste. i am pretty sure a lot of other people have the same problem as me and vvvrussianvvv but dont know how to fix their n900. please make a video. Also i am using win7 64 bit but i tried doing it on a XP. the problem was i dont know how to use the flasher.

Rob1n 2010-01-16 12:36

Have you read the instuctions on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware? I'd recommend actually using a bootable Linux CD instead of Windows - I couldn't get the flasher to work under XP either, but it worked first time under Linux.

sergnnpls 2010-01-16 13:03

yes i have read the instructions but i dont know how to do the linux thing. ive got a 500 gn external hard drive i could use instead of a cd. would that work? and is it easy to boot with linux or will i have to sit around for hours finding and installing drivers? because i need to fix the phone asap.

Rob1n 2010-01-16 13:59

A CD is usually easier, as most systems are set to boot from CD - something like Knoppix should work fine. There'll be no need to download drivers - everything you need should be included by default.

If you've never used Linux then it might be better to retry under XP first though. Make sure your N900 battery is fully charged first as well.