maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What do you think of the resistive touch screen? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42773)

trohax 2010-01-30 18:45

What do you think of the resistive touch screen?

I'm getting a new phone -- the nokia N900 and the main draw back is its resistive touch screen, I've seen the ones in the N97 and they were bad, they weren't as responsive as I would like them to be..
So, what do you think about the n900s' resistive touch screen? can they act decently enough to warrent a purchase or are they all as shitty?

Oh and also: When is the Arabic keyboard coming out? (though I never type in arabic) I know you can install an app for an on screen keyboard but I would only buy one with arabic alphabit for the resale value.

thanks.

omeriko9 2010-01-30 18:50

Re: What do you think of the resistive touch screen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohax (Post 502847)
I'm getting a new phone -- the nokia N900 and the main draw back is its resistive touch screen, I've seen the ones in the N97 and they were bad, they weren't as responsive as I would like them to be..
So, what do you think about the n900s' resistive touch screen? can they act decently enough to warrent a purchase or are they all as shitty?

I think it's great - accurate and responsive.

And actually, I see it being resistive as advantage, not a draw back (have you tried using stylus with a capacitive screen?...).

mcdull 2010-01-30 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by omeriko9 (Post 502848)
I think it's great - accurate and responsive.

And actually, I see it being resistive as advantage, not a draw back (have you tried using stylus with a capacitive screen?...).

or in freezing weather wearing gloves with a capactivie screen?

vietn900 2010-01-30 18:56

yeah i have to agree the touchscreen amazes me on the n900 it is so responsive .... and you didn't even need to apply as much pressure as other touchscreen phone.

Jnolcox 2010-01-30 19:02

sometimes i forget it is a resistive screen, and i have an iphone as well...its just that good.

JonWW 2010-01-30 19:03

Quote:

I think it's great I don't know why resistive screens get knocked so much. I often fine my self scrolling down a web page with my finger nail and I like using the stylus, it's very presise when selecting a small web link and the whole iphone pinich to zoom; now that's a two handed affair, tap to zoom - one handed.

grumps312 2010-01-30 19:03

its so good 5that i hate my screen on the ipod touch 2g :)

bugelrex 2010-01-30 19:06

Personally, my only issue is with 'swiping' (scrolling, moving the finger across the screen). If you use your nail, its fine, its pretty good... but if you don't use your nail its not that great..

RevdKathy 2010-01-30 19:11

I wouldn't have bought a device with a capacitive screen. I find them very hard to use with nails, stylus, end of a teaspoon... I find the screen responsiveness just fine. In fact, if you look around you'll find people complaining it's too responsive - for example when the phone rings in your pocket or the alarm goes off on the bed side, and you've touched something you didn't mean to.

trohax 2010-01-30 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevdKathy (Post 502875)
I wouldn't have bought a device with a capacitive screen. I find them very hard to use with nails, stylus, end of a teaspoon... I find the screen responsiveness just fine. In fact, if you look around you'll find people complaining it's too responsive - for example when the phone rings in your pocket or the alarm goes off on the bed side, and you've touched something you didn't mean to.

Isn't there a lock switch for the touch screen? like on the ipod touch?

trohax 2010-01-30 19:27

Also any news on the arabic keyboard?

JonWW 2010-01-30 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohax (Post 502892)
Isn't there a lock switch for the touch screen? like on the ipod touch?

It unlockes itself when an event happens, hence you can accidently press something

Modell900 2010-01-30 20:01

Don't worry the screen is truly excellent!
Probably the best resistive screen to this date.

Very responsive, just a tiny more preasure then a capasative screen (makes the missclicking a lot less frequent)

Stuff like sketchpads now actually seems kind of useful paired with the stylus, if you got a wacom digital tablet pen you can do some amazing pic's!

Well here you have both hardware and software lock for the screen, just choose :)

Also watching movies and pictures it's waaay better on the N900 then for example the iphone in every possible way.
More natural colors, more accurate contrast, 2,5 times higher resolution.
Nokia always made great screens and the N900 isn't an exception :D

Hope this info helps you a bit.

JonWW 2010-01-30 20:05

This is how good sketch is with a resistive screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbnn7D3qbI

Catacylsm 2010-01-31 15:16

N900 screen is fantastic, (same amount of pressure i use with the ipod touch.)

No ghosting in movies, as well as a great contrast band.

The only notable delay is in the vibrate feature, not the screen itself!

I'm not going back to captive i dont think, im too attached to resistive :).

b-man 2010-01-31 15:28

Just got my N900 the day before yesterday, and i'd have to say that the touchscreen is fantastic! :D

trohax 2010-01-31 15:57

What about the arabic keyboard guys?

acano 2010-01-31 16:04

I agree with you alll. I do not miss at all a capacitive screem on my N900.

etuoyo 2010-01-31 16:26

Screen works well but truth of the matter is the ipod touch's screen (and presumably the iphone) I found to be a million times more responsive. In the three months I had the ipod touch (before I sold it cause I could not bear to own an apple device anymore) I never made a single selection error but I do alot on the N900.

Using my nails makes the N900 screen far more responsive but it will never come close to what I experienced with the ipod touch. The so called benefits of resistive don't really matter to me. I couldn't use the device with gloves anyway and I am not doing any handwriting recognition. And I would rather not use a stylus and when I do it is to play solitaire and that is only cause constantly dragging the cards with my nails begins to feel like hard work after a while.

General population agrees with this which is why Maemo 6 will be capacitive along with the other popular touch devices (ipod, zune, hd2, etc).

trohax 2010-01-31 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 503918)
Screen works well but truth of the matter is the ipod touch's screen (and presumably the iphone) I found to be a million times more responsive. In the three months I had the ipod touch (before I sold it cause I could not bear to own an apple device anymore) I never made a single selection error but I do alot on the N900.

Using my nails makes the N900 screen far more responsive but it will never come close to what I experienced with the ipod touch. The so called benefits of resistive don't really matter to me. I couldn't use the device with gloves anyway and I am not doing any handwriting recognition. And I would rather not use a stylus and when I do it is to play solitaire and that is only cause constantly dragging the cards with my nails begins to feel like hard work after a while.

General population agrees with this which is why Maemo 6 will be capacitive along with the other popular touch devices (ipod, zune, hd2, etc).

Maemo 6 have been dated? I don't want to get the n900 and then 2 months later a new device along...

zwer 2010-01-31 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 503918)

Which is precisely why I won't buy the next Maemo device, as I already stated HERE :(

He who would trade precision for some ultra-light-touch sensitivity, deserves neither precision nor ultra-light-touch sensitivity.

Thor 2010-01-31 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwer (Post 504074)
Which is precisely why I won't buy the next Maemo device, as I already stated HERE :(

He who would trade precision for some ultra-light-touch sensitivity, deserves neither precision nor ultra-light-touch sensitivity.

Yep, no more Transport Tycoon, Monkey Island, Sketch and so on...

TooMuchMoney 2010-01-31 20:21

Used both...

Resistive > capacitive

Jeffgrado 2010-01-31 20:27

The N900 works great. The best resistive screen I've used so far, though I am looking forward to a nice glass capacitive screen in the next device.

johnel 2010-01-31 20:38

At the end of the day it is a trade off.

Capacitance-type screens are very responsive and also can have a "solid" glass screen. Unfortunately cannot use a stylus and lose a bit of accuracy.

Resistance-type screens are not as responsive as a capacitance screen but you can use a stylus (fingernail,di1do whatever) and more accuracy. The screen must have some flexibility

Choose the right tool for the right job.

Resistance-type screens are ideal when use of the device is flexible.
Capacitance-type screens are more suited to a device within a well-defined use.

I think using a capacitance screen makes perfect sense for something like the iPhone and a resistance screen is used with n900.

iPhones are more entertainment devices where Maemo-based devices are more practical-type of device. Hence the touch screen technologies chosen for these devices make sense.

If that is the case then the next Maemo-based phone maybe leaning towards entertainment use.

Nokia seems to be suffering from iPhone "penis envy" and not actually considering how the next Maemo-based device is going to be used.

MrThunderfield 2010-01-31 21:43

A bad resistive screen can be a major pain in the ***, but a good one can be superior to capacitive.

The N900 has a great one.

True, a capacitive screen backed by good processing power and software IS more sensitive than a resistive one and can seem more pleasant to use. But when you do a simple pro-con comparison, resistive comes out on top. After that it's down to personal preference.

I couldn't imagine clicking small links on the 800x480 screen with my finger. You'd have to zoom in every time you want to click a link, and zoom out every time you want to read what it says on the page, With resistive, you just use your fingernail or the stylus! :D

zehjotkah 2010-01-31 21:50

You misunderstood something...
maemo6 will SUPPORT capacitive displays and multitouch.
That does NOT mean that all maemo6 product will nessecarily have a capacitive screen...

hex900 2010-01-31 22:34

Quote:

I'm getting a new phone -- the nokia N900 and the main draw back is its resistive touch screen

Huh? Why is that? The only [not very] valid reason I've seen out there is lack of multi-touch. What other drawbacks are there? If it were me, I'd s/resistive/capacitive in your statement and face it to other phones w/out resistive. As others probably notice on this forum, I call BS on Nokia/Maemo freely so no one can accuse me of being an N900 fanboi, but when it comes to their screen (resistive use and resolution/pixels/brightness/clarity) no one has heard me say anything but positive - it is a no brainer - this coming from someone who has a collection of "you name the smartphone/tablet, I got it." Nexus One? Yup. DROID? Yup. Accounts with ATT/TMO/VZW? Doesn't everyone?

Why does everyone think a resistive touchscreen is a drawback? Amazing how inaccurate information about certain technology continues to propagate. We're not 20-years ago - resistive technology is great these days and superior to capacitive in a number of ways. It's more accurate, it doesn't require you to take your gloves off, you can use a stylus, it's lower overhead to implement (i.e. all the fly-by-wire code that needs to make capacitive work can go away and free up resources/battery life), and, did I mention it is more accurate? (has to do with what happens under the hood to make capacitive work semi-accurately - similar to a stealth fighter: not meant to fly, would be impossible to fly w/out all the code and compute power in it, but it seems just fine until you talk to a pilot- capacitive is truly fly-by-wire and this is why you have a lot of issues with dead spots coming and going regardless of the phone. Even that super duper cult-creating iThing gets complaints about dead spots.

I have NEVER had that issue with a resistive. I also haven't had to use the built-in, very simple "hit four dots and your done" calibrator Nokia has on N900/N97/etc. Comes out of the box in great shape and never seems to lose calibration.

Anyway, implementation is a different story. Nokia has it dead on with the N900. It has other issues (which the community is solving for Maemo/Nokia), but one of the several things I REALLY like is the resistive screen. I love using a stylus so I don't have to zoom a web page just to hit something - in general, I use the stylus about 70% of the time just maneavuring around. I love not having to take my gloves off when it is -5C out. I've been doing some testing with my Nexus One and a DROID lately and whenever I go to their screens, I realize how good the quality is of the N900's touch. It is spot on and so sensitive that some like using Zagg's heavier invisishield screen protector to 'back down' the sensitivity.

I'm being very general hear and don't feel like doing anything more than that, but there is nothing wrong with resistive and I'm baffled as to why most still think it's a fault. Perhaps because many don't think it can do multi-touch? It can, but even if not, who cares? Nokia/Apple have so many patent lawsuits against each other right now, I'm fairly certain Nokia isn't about to license multi-touch from Apple (who is the only manufacturer not paying Nokia to license Nokia's tons of patents - Apple is using in iPhone and puters not paying and 40+ others are paying Nokia). Tangent, but my speculation why Nokia isn't about to play nicely with Apple (who recently filed a complaint to with the US trade commission to prevent Nokia from selling in the US).

I have always liked Nokia's implementation on resistive. My N97 isn't as good as the N900, but it is still better than some of the capacitives out there PLUS has handwriting recognition that works pretty good (miss it on the N900 though). I, for one, am one of the people that hopes Nokia doesn't go capacitive - ever. This particularly helps them in markets that are colder. I hope the lack of handwriting recognition was just to get it launched rather than a sign of no more resistive and no more stylus and taking my gloves off. But, if I do hit a small combo box or radio button on a page w/my fat finger, 95% of the time it gets what I'm aiming for w/out the stylus. Nokia simply has it right - no question.

I should mention, I'd hate to use the N900's superior resolution w/out a stylus - it would be constant zooming or compensating for it by making everything bigger defeating the purpose of the increased real estate. As resolutions get to the N900's level, I'm interested in knowing what capacitive freaks plan to do.

SAABoy 2010-02-01 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwer (Post 504074)

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I will properly introduce myself elsewhere, but I had to post a LOL to zwer's comment. :p

lol

starman 2010-02-01 10:30

well for what its worth the N900's touch screen is excellent, I work in a phone shop can have tried them all.

Yes personally i think capacitive is better than resistive but its all about the end user, not all capacitive screen are good, my HTC Hero's touch screen was beyond rubbish and my wifes Blackberry Storm is quite possible the worst phone ever made, while iPhone's screen was fantastic.

My advice to you or anyone is to pop into a shop and ask for a demo with the phone, its all about whether 'you' can use the touch screen, not whether you next door neighbour can use it. Even if its considered a bad touch screen i.e. N97, if you can use it and like it, then a better touch screen i.e N900, iPhone might not suite your style of operation..

I've served people who cant use an iPhone but are fine with a Nokia 5530 or Samsung Tocco Lite..

Better ain't always 'better' - if you know what I mean :)

ysss 2010-02-01 10:54

It's probably the best resistive touchscreen I've used so far... but with that said, for day to day 'smartphone' use, iPhone's capacitive screen and their UI implementation is just more convenient to use. Then again this is their 3rd iteration of the OS/device (well, 4th or 5th for maemo if you count the previous NITs?).

Resistive:
+ If you need/want to handwrite or draw
+ If you have long nails and want to keep them
+ If you have to deal with apps without a touch-friendly UI

Helmuth 2010-02-01 12:55

Hmm... I hope for a hybrid capacitive / resistive screen for the next device. There are severals in development, but i'm afraid. It could be possible, they're not ready for the production. :(

I wouldn't miss a accurate touchscreen only to get a multitouch device! :)

mika 2010-02-01 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonWW (Post 502945)
This is how good sketch is with a resistive screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbnn7D3qbI

Hmmm would it be possible to use N900 as drawing pad for computer? If you are professional then you certainly have a real one, but for someone who likes to draw now and then that maybe could be useful.

planetf1 2010-02-01 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrThunderfield (Post 504278)
With resistive, you just use your fingernail or the stylus! :D

I'm actually surprised at how accurate I'm getting clicking small links (ie the page number on these forums) on the N900 screen just with my finger tip.

After worrying about the resistive nature of the screen I was very pleased to see it's actually very good -- even with a screen protector (I got a DQC160) on.

I guess OLED remains a desirable feature for power saving, and potentially for color vibrance, although even there outdoor visibility may be worse.

volt 2010-02-01 14:55

On one hand, one of my requirements for my next device is to support stylus (a MUST) and have the accuracy of a resistive screen,

on the other hand...

I do not really believe that the pros and cons of the two dominant technologies are something we have to live with for years. Because capacitive screens have been blessed by Hypnocorp, eventually everyone will sell capacitive screens. There's no turning back when Lord S dictates the media in the wrong direction. But they will first make them accurate and make them stylus compatible. I guess they may or may not call them hybrid screens.

dmj726 2010-02-01 14:59

I think a lot of the "Capacitive is more intuitive" sentiment is really more along the lines of "We're used to it, so we have to remember how to use resistive again." I was attempting to watch YouTube on a friend's iTouch the other day, and having a hard time hitting the buttons sometimes because I would use my fingernail.
Granted, the n900 is my first touchscreen, but I really do enjoy the benefits of resistive screens. I like to use the stylus sometimes for small links when I don't want to zoom. Of course Nokia could just include a special capacitive friendly stylus if the next device was capacitive. In fact, I think a capacitive device would need one more, since fingernails can't be used as mini-styluses (unless you happen to have skin on your nails or paint them with conductive nail polish).
Several i***** users have become quite jealous when I use my n900 with gloves on when outside. Granted, they *could* just purchase a few pairs of gloves specially designed for use with capacitive screens and carry them around for various kinds of cold weather, but I haven't seen anyone who does.
The n900's screen is very responsive, though you do notice the need to apply pressure when using your fingerpad, though it's barely perceptible with your nail.
I really hope that Nokia includes a resistive screen (perhaps the variety with multitouch?) or a capacitive one with special stylus included. A lot of the things I love about Maemo hinge on having the stylus. Anyone care to use MyPaint or Blender on a capacitive screen?

jjx 2010-02-01 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetf1 (Post 505156)
I'm actually surprised at how accurate I'm getting clicking small links (ie the page number on these forums) on the N900 screen just with my finger tip.

Same here. I have no troubling clicking on links about 1mm high using my fingertip. It's all about getting used to where the "middle" of your fingertip is.

I'd hate to have to keep zooming in every time I wanted to click something, then zooming out to be able see enough text to read it, like I've seen people do on an iPhone.

This is part of what makes using "normal" web pages very good on the N900.

The stylus comes out when I'm cutting and pasting tiny text, and sometimes it's easier to do long sequences of fast clicking with the stylus than fingers. I'd probably type with the stylus if there was no hardware keyboard - it's quicker than finger touching due to less movement needed.

All that said, I know some people can't read small text anyway, due to their eyesight, so they wouldn't see the point in accurate clicking.

Crashdamage 2010-02-01 15:46

The N900 has simply the best touch screen of any type I've ever used. Period. I hope I never have to go back to a capacitive screen. This one is so sensitive it's like having the best of both types.

ArmandHammer 2010-02-01 16:00

Im starting to like it more and more. this morning i was walking to class in Ohio. 22 degrees and i got a text message. I said **** cant answer it because my fingers would probably get frost bite. then a light bulb went over my head. DUH i can use the stylus. so i wiped out thde stylus and texted with my gloves on. It was awesome.

Jack6428 2010-02-01 16:21

I don't think it's resisitive. I think it's alot more accurate and responsive then the capacitive on the iPhone. Seriously. It's fast and i can use a stylus too. Great work on that one !