maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nokia Crashes HTC London Event (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62330)

etuoyo 2010-09-15 13:38

Nokia Crashes HTC London Event

This is quite funny.

Kind of childish though. Is it the result of now having a new non-Finnish CEO?

I think Nokia should concentrate on improving their customer services and their software stability rather than taking cheap shots at competition. Would think this would be more of Apple's thing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/n...balloons-hate/

nidO 2010-09-15 13:42

Re: Nokia Crashes HTC London Event

The engadget story is (as usual) twisted horribly against Nokia.
HTC intentionally arranged their event in the same city at the same time as nokia world knowing they wouldnt get half as many attendees otherwise, then drove up a load of HTC-branded busses to right outside Nokia World to offer people free transport to HTC's event from Nokia's.
Following that, nokia "hit back" with some balloons and free goodie bags poking a bit of fun at HTC.
Call it childish or call it a bit of tongue-in-cheek PR on the part of both companies, but jeez who cares, light-hearted PR at the expense of another company is nothing new, and is imo a positive thing.

rickysio 2010-09-15 13:47

I think they (Engadget) hung too much around a certain someone from Mobile Review.

orion88freedom 2010-09-15 13:59

Try reading the comments which is found at the bottom of the article. It's hilarious. At least for me it is :D

bandora 2010-09-15 16:26

Nokia crashes HTC event..

Hehe, I just came across this article on engadget, HTC decided to hijack Nokia's event so what does Nokia do? Have some fun!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/n...-balloons-hate

I thought the survival kit was pretty humorous! :D

tissot 2010-09-15 16:37

Re: Nokia crashes HTC event..

Funniest part have been following this no news getting mentioned in example Engadget and turned as EVIL act by Nokia to all so fluffy HTC.. by the EVIL Nokia. :D

ysss 2010-09-15 16:40

Stay classy ;)

Rebski 2010-09-15 16:45

Quote:

then drove up a load of HTC-branded busses to right outside Nokia World to offer people free transport to HTC's event from Nokia's.
Nokia should have done the same and left it at that.

ossipena 2010-09-15 16:45

announcements htc made were pretty much ridiculous. they struggle with aluminium parts with their phones (how convenient to copy from n8...) and nokia announces models with recycled metal etc :D

and dual led cam was the best they could do against n8. weak.

etuoyo 2010-09-15 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nidO (Post 816867)
The engadget story is (as usual) twisted horribly against Nokia.
HTC intentionally arranged their event in the same city at the same time as nokia world knowing they wouldnt get half as many attendees otherwise, then drove up a load of HTC-branded busses to right outside Nokia World to offer people free transport to HTC's event from Nokia's.
Following that, nokia "hit back" with some balloons and free goodie bags poking a bit of fun at HTC.
Call it childish or call it a bit of tongue-in-cheek PR on the part of both companies, but jeez who cares, light-hearted PR at the expense of another company is nothing new, and is imo a positive thing.

May be just me but I think you only really do these PR stunts against people you feel are doing better than you or you fear are about to over tak you. If some tiny company no one had ever heard of did this Nokia would not bother dealing with it. However, it is a big deal because HTC did this.

And personally I feel (or is it just wish) that Nokia should not even at all feel threatened by HTC because Nokia should be so far ahead of HTC. However, Nokia has been slacking for like three years and has allowed HTC to come out of nowhere and become the company which most people feel make the best phones (ignoring all the isheep). HTC now have several phones better than the best Nokia phone. Yes I know for the linux and/or geeks on this websites the N900 is the best thing since sliced bread but for the majority of the world the HTC Evo, HTC Desire, HTC Desire HD (and soon and G2) are far better than the N97, n900, etc.

puiradu 2010-09-15 17:37

Is that legal? What about competition law? Shame on you Nokia! This is not the way! One mote thing! I give up to the ultimate N900 for a Galaxy S! Then who knows... maybe a HTC! At least samsung never dissapointed me! Shame on you! I hope that you will be the last in the market share, the last, near "Others"!

zehjotkah 2010-09-15 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by puiradu (Post 817051)
Is that legal? What about competition law? Shame on you Nokia! This is not the way! One mote thing! I give up to the ultimate N900 for a Galaxy S! Then who knows... maybe a HTC! At least samsung never dissapointed me! Shame on you! I hope that you will be the last in the market share, the last, near "Others"!

But you do know, that HTC actually parked big HTC-labeled busses at the main entrance of Nokia World to drive the attendees away from Nokia World to the HTC event?

frostbyte 2010-09-15 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by puiradu (Post 817051)

don't know if you've noticed this but on the N900 qwerty, the period is right next to the exclamation point.

j/k :)

strongm 2010-09-15 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 817041)
... against people you feel are doing better than you or you fear are about to over tak you ... [] ... it is a big deal because HTC did this.

Ahem - 2010 Q2 Smartphone Units Shipped (Sources: IDC and Canalys)
Nokia 24 million
HTC 4.8 million

I really don't think Nokia fear HTC are about to overtake them just yet ...

Milhouse 2010-09-15 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by zehjotkah (Post 817058)
But you do know, that HTC actually parked big HTC-labeled busses at the main entrance of Nokia World to drive the attendees away from Nokia World to the HTC event?

Anyone got any pictures of these buses? All I can find are images of Nokias retaliation, which then makes it all appear somewhat one sided with Nokia beating on HTC.

puiradu 2010-09-15 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 817078)
Nokia 24 million
HTC 4.8 million

24 milions in how many devices?.....
What about Samsung?

pycage 2010-09-15 18:09

HTC and Nokia are playing by the same rules attacking each other in a harmless way, and for the visitors it's funny. So what's the problem with this? Enjoy your HTC sandwich. :)

strongm 2010-09-15 18:15

>24 milions in how many devices?.....

That's 24 million devices

>What about Samsung?

3 million (source: IDC)

puiradu 2010-09-15 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 817100)
>24 milions in how many devices?.....

That's 24 million devices

>What about Samsung?

3 million (source: IDC)

You didn'd get my point. They sell 24 milions but thay have alot of diferent models, compared to HTC and Samsung! What if HTC will bring more devices? What then?....
How old is Nokia in the market compared to HTC and Samsung? And look a little bit how quick Samsung and HTC are growing! What Market Share are they eating?
Nokia is going down compared to his competitors! They are loosing market share! that's it!

jvanhou 2010-09-15 18:35

I think this was a gutsy (and funny!) move on Nokia's part. HTC decided to piggy-back on NW2010, not the other way around. They also brought buses clearly marked with HTC branding right to the front door of NW2010, just to poach NW attendees. Having "survival" kits handed out shows Nokia acknowledged HTC's move as being a bit underhanded. I don't have an axe to grind with HTC, by any means... but scheduling a product launch (for items that were already widely leaked online weeks ago) at the same time as your competitor's annual tradeshow, and THEN bringing your buses right to their front door, well that's just plain dirty.

...and yes, Engadget rarely has a good word to say about Nokia. Launch a great product, and they'll say it's underpowered and too late. Heaven forbid an Android device is late to market, or half-baked, or carrier-crippled...

danramos 2010-09-15 18:36

It's the balloons that crack me up. "I know where I'm going with Nokia's Ovi Maps?" Really? :)

kureyon 2010-09-15 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 817127)
It's the balloons that crack me up. "I know where I'm going with Nokia's Ovi Maps?" Really? :)

Ovi Maps is pretty good on Symbian devices. It's the N900 edition which sucks, a lot.

attila77 2010-09-15 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by zehjotkah (Post 817058)

Good thing they didn't attempt that sort of stunt in Serbia. 2 possible outcomes - cut tires OR grafitti, most likely textual prefix/suffix in the form of '(HTC) EVENT CANCELED, DRIVING TO NOKIA WORLD INSTEAD' (in Serbian that would be a lot shorter).

etuoyo 2010-09-15 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 817078)
Nokia 24 million
HTC 4.8 million

And what were their respective profits for those periods? Please share. I am interested to know. All well and good selling a billion $1 phones but that is not where the real profits lie. I suspect HTC's profits are very close to Nokia despite the fact that Nokia has been top dog in the mobile phone world and until a couple of years ago I had never even heard of HTC. Believe me Nokia is concerned. And if they are not the ignorance or lack of awareness of the way the market is going explains why they are no longer the force they were.

Milhouse 2010-09-15 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvanhou (Post 817126)
I think this was a gutsy (and funny!) move on Nokia's part. HTC decided to piggy-back on NW2010, not the other way around. They also brought buses clearly marked with HTC branding right to the front door of NW2010, just to poach NW attendees.

The trouble is, nobody is reporting the HTC buses or showing any such evidence yet their is plenty of photographic evidence of what Nokia subsequently did... I'm not saying the the buses didn't happen, but unless both sides of the story are presented it makes Nokia look like the bad/childish guy...

Nokia PR might want to think about getting their side of the story out there (after all, this is partly their fault) as the bogs seem only interested in poor little HTC and won't miss this as yet another opportunity to bash Nokia on the back of a fairly successful Nokia World..

Rebski 2010-09-15 19:19

Quote:

And if they are not the ignorance or lack of awareness of the way the market is going explains why they are no longer the force they were.
This makes for a good quick read.
http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/nokia_next

Salient quotes (to me at least)
“Nokia Expects Hardware Design to Attract Smartphone Customers"
and
"That’s why they have no cohesive software strategy."

Milhouse 2010-09-15 20:15

It appears that HTC have form for this, having done something similar last year... no doubt Nokia were expecting it again this year and came prepared.

The lack of impartiality from the boggers that are covering this afternoons unseemly events is quite astounding. :(

Viqsi 2010-09-16 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 817000)
Funniest part have been following this no news getting mentioned in example Engadget and turned as EVIL act by Nokia to all so fluffy HTC.. by the EVIL Nokia. :D

I'll take "evil" over "irrelevant" any day, personally. ;)

rickysio 2010-09-16 03:22

Nokia should have set up Nokia branded roadblocks in retaliation to the HTC buses, IMO. ;)

gerbick 2010-09-16 03:45

I'm actually for this kind of activity. Shows that they know who their competition may be, steals a bit of their thunder... hell. I like this kind of guerrilla marketing.

It's not wholly effective, but it sure as hell is better than silence.

danramos 2010-09-16 03:46

Personally, I thought this pretty much was a healthy jab at each other. I rather LIKE the one-up-manship that this implies. I hope they BOTH benefit--because, ultimately, EVERYONE would. It also sounds like they don't take each other and themselves too seriously.

Milhouse 2010-09-16 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 817462)
I'm actually for this kind of activity. Shows that they know who their competition may be, steals a bit of their thunder... hell. I like this kind of guerrilla marketing.

It's not wholly effective, but it sure as hell is better than silence.

The trouble is, it's backfired big time on Nokia because nobody is reporting on the HTC buses.

Most of the hacks were already at the HTC venue so they only saw the Nokia people turn up with balloons etc. - they weren't at Nokia World on the second day so didn't see the HTC buses (there's not much to see on the second day, ie. no new toys etc. and only serious technical discussions which go waaay over their pretty little heads).

HTC are now making hay from this by claiming Nokia are scared and see them as a serious competitor, and this is how it is being reported. This is nothing but a big win for HTC, and a significantly embarrassing PR loss for Nokia who should have handled this so much better.

Fortunately it will soon be forgotten, but the Nokia PR people in charge of this fiasco need to take a good look at themselves and ask themselves the question "What the hell were we thinking?"

ossipena 2010-09-16 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by puiradu (Post 817118)
What if HTC will bring more devices? What then?....

why do you think HTC would deliberately bring less devices than it is capable of producing without models competing against each others?

danramos 2010-09-16 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 817552)
why do you think HTC would deliberately bring less devices than it is capable of producing without models competing against each others?

I give up. Why?