maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   watch flash 10.1 videos with hardware acceleration on maemo with GNASH? maybe maybe (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71291)

leetnoob 2011-03-21 11:01

watch flash 10.1 videos with hardware acceleration on maemo with GNASH? maybe maybe

1 Attachment(s)
here's a screenshot of the gnu opensource flash plugin in the iceweasel browser in easy debian , as you can see it claims 10.1 compatibility. the faq on the main gnash page says it uses hardware acceleration when provided by ffmpeg and gstreamer.

have there been any attempts to compile this for maemo?

edit: i don't have a dev environment, but please tell me someone who has, has done the

./configure --prefix=/opt
make
make install

dance.

abyn900 2011-03-21 11:35

Re: watch flash 10.1 videos with hardware acceleration on maemo with GNASH? maybe maybe

Even the Tweak Flash plugin application helps u to watch 10.1 flash ..you can try that also. I jus installed it yest and it s working fine till now.

leetnoob 2011-03-21 12:29

Re: watch flash 10.1 videos with hardware acceleration on maemo with GNASH? maybe maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyn900 (Post 972312)
Even the Tweak Flash plugin application helps u to watch 10.1 flash ..you can try that also. I jus installed it yest and it s working fine till now.

no, the tweak flash plugin helps you watch flash 9 on websites that only use flash 9 features but still expect you to have 10. and flash 9 has no hardware acceleration.

gnash provides flash hardware acceleration and claims 10.1 compatibility. given all the fuss people make about flash 10.1 i'm surprised nobody has run the 'make' command yet.

kyllerbuzcut 2011-03-21 12:40

*twitches anxiously*
*twiddles thumbs*
*shifts in seat*
come on come on come on................
*mutters*
:)

I'm sure someone with the knowhow will see this thread soon as long as it is kept bumped:)

mece 2011-03-21 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by leetnoob (Post 972337)
no, the tweak flash plugin helps you watch flash 9 on websites that only use flash 9 features but still expect you to have 10. and flash 9 has no hardware acceleration.

gnash provides flash hardware acceleration and claims 10.1 compatibility. given all the fuss people make about flash 10.1 i'm surprised nobody has run the 'make' command yet.

Ok, Not sure what this is exactly but I'll compile it and see what happens :) stay tuned.

leetnoob 2011-03-21 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 972343)
Ok, Not sure what this is exactly but I'll compile it and see what happens :) stay tuned.

i believe the word i'm looking for is : 'w00t!'

clasificado 2011-03-21 13:09

Quote:

it uses hardware acceleration when provided by ffmpeg and gstreamer
I dont know, but ffmpeg or gstreamer has any kind of hardware acceleration on any nokia tablet device?

i dont remember, and i dont think so.

Hardware acceleration is not something that magically happens, you know. It's a per chipset work, and i dont know if the ffmpeg or gstreamer teams have done any work for n900

nos4A2 2011-03-21 13:17

<biting fingernails>Come on.. How much time is it gonna take to compile </biting fingernails>

leetnoob 2011-03-21 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by clasificado (Post 972361)
I dont know, but ffmpeg or gstreamer has any kind of hardware acceleration on any nokia tablet device?

i dont remember, and i dont think so.

Hardware acceleration is not something that magically happens, you know. It's a per chipset work, and i dont know if the ffmpeg or gstreamer teams have done any work for n900

mplayer has hardware acceleration, but i've no idea at which layer. did the mplayer team create hardware accelerated codecs. should the person compiling tbis install mplayer first to get those libraries to link against?

F2thaK 2011-03-21 13:20

this will go nowhere.

vi_ 2011-03-21 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 972369)
this will go nowhere.

http://drippet.com/wp-content/upload...e-negatron.jpg

festivalnut 2011-03-21 13:29

i wasn't this excited waiting for my exam results! or even santa!

leetnoob 2011-03-21 13:29

here's some info on compiling it

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/ma...f.html#runs-on

i think it slightly out of date as a lot of work has been done on gnash over the last few months, but i guess the compile instructions are still valid.

edit: yeah, that manual is a year old.

leetnoob 2011-03-21 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nos4A2 (Post 972366)
<biting fingernails>Come on.. How much time is it gonna take to compile </biting fingernails>

probably some time , i suspect days , not hours, as nothing works first time! it's pretty exciting that someone is attempting it though.

mattbutsko 2011-03-21 13:59

Last I remember, gnash is like 80% from being complete. That, and it's target was flash 9.4 playback. Could be wrong on both accounts though, but I know gnash isn't finished to some degree.

randomdood 2011-03-21 14:07

had a quick look on the fornt of the gnash homepage.
Quote:

supports most SWF v7 features and some SWF v8 and v9.

SWF v10 is not supported by GNU Gnash.
http://www.gnu.org/s/gnash/

mece 2011-03-21 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbutsko (Post 972396)
Last I remember, gnash is like 80% from being complete. That, and it's target was flash 9.4 playback. Could be wrong on both accounts though, but I know gnash isn't finished to some degree.

The homepage is not exactly up to date it seems. They mention "growing support for swf v10" here: http://www.gnashdev.org/?q=node/73
so perhaps there is something.

I'm compiling the standalone player, because I didn't find xulrunner-dev right away and I didn't feel like fighting with it before testing whether this does anything. Takes ages to compile it seems.

EDIT, regardless of the growing support for v10, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything really useful...

mece 2011-03-21 19:28

http://i.imgur.com/s10xp.png

It runs at least, rather slow on slow, but I didn't really make any proper configurations... Will compile with some better options and see if it works better.

leetnoob 2011-03-21 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 972597)
http://i.imgur.com/s10xp.png

It runs at least, rather slow on slow, but I didn't really make any proper configurations... Will compile with some better options and see if it works better.

install n900 mplayer, also in the dev manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/ma...f.html#runs-on

it says to run an autosomething script before running configure so maybe the autowhater script configures the hardware optimisations..

edit:from the dev manual:

Gnash uses FFmpeg for codecs, so any file supported by Mplayer should work with Gnash. Gnash supports the loading of patent free codecs like Ogg Vorbis or Theora from disk based files, while work is being done to support these codecs when embedded in a SWF file. FFmpeg contains the codecs used by the current SWF defintion, FLV, VP6 (ON2), H.263, H.264, and MP3.

now.. the question is did the mplayer team hardware accelerate the ffmpgeg codecs? i think the answer is yes. correct me if i'm wrong..

also to compile it , the dev manual says

The typical process of building from source will involve getting the source, build dependencies, configuration, compilation, testing, and installation. A simplified overview of the process would be:

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
make check
make install

Sazpaimon 2011-03-22 01:42

Figured I'd join just to talk about this:

My last experience with gnash (on a desktop OS) wasn't very good. It wouldn't run most Flash 9 flashes at all (VVVVVV for example). My quick experience with porting it to the Maemo dev environment wasn't any better.

In fact, when you run a Flash 9 SWF with gnash in verbose mode, it warns you that Flash 9 isn't fully supported. If it barely supports Flash 9, what makes you think you'll have any better luck with Flash 10.1?

I think a more ambitious project would be to port Lightspark to maemo. Apparently it has an ARM port by the Ubuntu folks (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+...0.4.6-0ubuntu1). It supports AS 3, and will fallback on gnash for AS 1 and 2 code.

leetnoob 2011-03-22 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazpaimon (Post 972813)
Figured I'd join just to talk about this:

My last experience with gnash (on a desktop OS) wasn't very good. It wouldn't run most Flash 9 flashes at all (VVVVVV for example). My quick experience with porting it to the Maemo dev environment wasn't any better.

In fact, when you run a Flash 9 SWF with gnash in verbose mode, it warns you that Flash 9 isn't fully supported. If it barely supports Flash 9, what makes you think you'll have any better luck with Flash 10.1?

I think a more ambitious project would be to port Lightspark to maemo. Apparently it has an ARM port by the Ubuntu folks (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+...0.4.6-0ubuntu1). It supports AS 3, and will fallback on gnash for AS 1 and 2 code.

dunno.. as3 is just flash 9, plus lightspark doesn't have any hardware acceleration via mplayer's ffmpeg like gnash..

if you previously tried to compile gnash on maemo and therefore have a dev environment, maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900..

edit: i meant to say : 'maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900.. pretty please' :D

sophocha 2011-03-22 03:48

This is great..............I smell another 'overclocking' kind of thread!....the impossible will be possible!

Mentalist Traceur 2011-03-22 04:18

Gnash has been talked about to death. If anyone tech savvy could contribute to Gnash that'd be great - but they're horribly legally cautious - their team is all people who NEVER used Adobe's Flash Player, at least so they claim.

- Edit -

And of course while Gnash's latest version - I hear - are actually rather nice at supporting flash 9, flash 10 support isn't exactly complete. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

leetnoob 2011-03-22 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur (Post 972845)
Gnash has been talked about to death. If anyone tech savvy could contribute to Gnash that'd be great - but they're horribly legally cautious - their team is all people who NEVER used Adobe's Flash Player, at least so they claim.

- Edit -

And of course while Gnash's latest version - I hear - are actually rather nice at supporting flash 9, flash 10 support isn't exactly complete. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

i'd rather hitch my wagon to this horse than wait for the train that never comes...

Sazpaimon 2011-03-22 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by leetnoob (Post 972833)
dunno.. as3 is just flash 9, plus lightspark doesn't have any hardware acceleration via mplayer's ffmpeg like gnash..

if you previously tried to compile gnash on maemo and therefore have a dev environment, maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900..

edit: i meant to say : 'maybe you could join forces with the person above to see if you can get a hardware accelerated gnash going on the n900.. pretty please' :D

1. Lightspark's AS3 implementation is up to par with Flash 10's, I believe.
2. Lightspark has hardware acceleration through OpenGL.
3. Lightspark may possibly be slow on an N900 because it doesn't translate AS3 code into native ARM assembly as it does for X86, I haven't tested it.
4. Gnash alone has less compatibility than the bundled Flash 9 plugin. It's a fact and nothing can be done about it for now.

leetnoob 2011-03-22 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazpaimon (Post 972852)
1. Lightspark's AS3 implementation is up to par with Flash 10's, I believe.
2. Lightspark has hardware acceleration through OpenGL.
3. Lightspark may possibly be slow on an N900 because it doesn't translate AS3 code into native ARM assembly as it does for X86, I haven't tested it.
4. Gnash alone has less compatibility than the bundled Flash 9 plugin. It's a fact and nothing can be done about it for now.

does opengl hardware acceleration imply hardware acceleration for video playback or just e.g. flash animation? i suspect it's just flash animation, but some people would be happy with this for games etc.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/lig...orkingSiteList

shows some interesting stats, like low quality of interactivity support on some sites like youtube (if i read it correctly). but, yes, if it doesn't support arm just-in-time assembly then that's a pity. also it looks like it's just being maintained by just one guy..

but, good find. i'd never heard of lightspark before now.

Sazpaimon 2011-03-22 05:10

I have an N900 arriving in the next couple days. When it arrives, I'll see what I can do about getting lightspark and gnash installed. If they play nicely and give equal or better support than the builtin flash 9 plugin, I'll package up some debs. The dev environment alone doesn't fully suit this.

mece 2011-03-22 05:20

You can compile it to use gstreamer instead of ffmpeg if you want. Anyway, gnash works fine as a standalone player at least, but it's slower than the official player and the stuff I tried that doesn't work in official flash didn't work in gnash either. So from my experience there are no real benefits right now. I built against the latest from the git repository.

There seem to a fair amount of activity on gnash at least so perhaps it will be better in the future.

leetnoob 2011-03-22 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 972866)
You can compile it to use gstreamer instead of ffmpeg if you want. Anyway, gnash works fine as a standalone player at least, but it's slower than the official player and the stuff I tried that doesn't work in official flash didn't work in gnash either. So from my experience there are no real benefits right now. I built against the latest from the git repository.

There seem to a fair amount of activity on gnash at least so perhaps it will be better in the future.

thanks for the incredible effort!

if it's slower at playing videos then it looks like hardware acceleration isn't working yet.

do you have mplayer installed on the dev environment? just in case mplayer brings something to the hardware accelerated codec party.

i'll poke around and see if i can find any information on hw acceleration for gnash.

i suppose compiling the browser plugin is moot for now.

thanks again for doing this.

leetnoob 2011-03-22 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazpaimon (Post 972863)
I have an N900 arriving in the next couple days. When it arrives, I'll see what I can do about getting lightspark and gnash installed. If they play nicely and give equal or better support than the builtin flash 9 plugin, I'll package up some debs. The dev environment alone doesn't fully suit this.

you da man!

leetnoob 2011-03-22 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 972866)

User Configuration File

Individual user preferences may be set by editing variables with the .gnashrc file:

~/.gnashrc

HWAccel string Specify the type of Hardware Video Decoder. Currently only vaapi, omap, xv or none are supported. None disables any acceleration support (the default).

please try xv

Renderer string Specify the type of Renderer to use. Currently only agg, opengl, or cairo are supported. The default is AGG, as it doesn't require any special hardware support.

please try opengl and if that doesn't work, try cairo
agg is no good for us

so your config file would look like this:

set HWAccel xv
set Renderer opengl

and if that doesn't work, then try this

set HWAccel xv
set Renderer cairo

obviously check the config file to make sure these values aren't changed/set elsewhere if a default/example config file was automatically generated on the first gnash run!

edit:actually cairo may be better than opengl as i can see native maemo cairo libraries installed but only qt opengl libs, but try both and let us know

leetnoob 2011-03-22 07:23

hi mece, curiosity is killing me ... any news?

edit: assuming we get hw acceleration to work, *cough* (getting slightly ahead of ourselves!), then this config parameter also looks interesting

quality [-1|0|1|2|3] Set rendering quality. If set to -1, Gnash will use whatever quality set by the movie being run. If set to any value from 0 to 3 Gnash will lock quality to the specified value (0=low, 1=medium, 2=high, 3=best). Defaults to -1.

mece 2011-03-22 08:00

@leetnoob It's easier to test by setting the options from the command line.

But you're right, it doesn't use hwaccel.
I used gst rendering because ffmpeg doesn't have hwaccel on N900, so that would be pointless. But it didn't seem to work properly anyway. I'll compile with some other flags and try to include everything so I (or anyone else) can test with different settings without having to recompile.

E: trying this config now: --prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst,ffmpeg --enable-renderer=opengl,cairo,agg --enable-hwaccel=vaapi,omap,xv

E2: Does anyone happen to have xulrunner-dev for maemo5 armel compiled?

E3: OMG this takes forever!

leetnoob 2011-03-22 08:41

'I used gst rendering because ffmpeg doesn't have hwaccel on N900'

still, the ffmpeg codecs seem incredibly efficent though, i'm really surprised to hear they're not hw accelerated and it's just gst. so maybe using ffmpeg might still be faster than adobe's codecs.. maybe. i'm out of my depth here, but would like to know if there is any relationship between ffmpeg and gst, i.e. does ffmpeg hand stuff over to gst when it can, if anybody can answer..

also, is there any 'drop frames' option in gnash's configure options? maybe that's what the quality paramter does.

a little bit of experimenting ahead, but i feel it's getting close!

freemangordon 2011-03-22 09:14

@mece
Quote:

Does anyone happen to have xulrunner-dev for maemo5 armel compiled?
How about one of those?
http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...=xulrunner-dev

Quote:

E: trying this config now: --prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst,ffmpeg --enable-renderer=opengl,cairo,agg --enable-hwaccel=vaapi,omap,xv
Why not try --enable-gui=gtk or --enable-gui=hildon? What I saw in readmes is that sdl is one with least support

leetnoob 2011-03-22 09:15

Frame dropping

Gnash has a compile-time option to turn on frame-dropping. When enabled, rendering is skipped when it's time to advance the timelines again. The effect of this is that the average FPS is closer to the nominal one, at the cost of missing intermediate renderings.

might be a REALLY good idea to ctrl-C that current compile, and recompile with this option (sorry)

edit: after doing a make clean of course (sorry but i forget this myself sometimes)

leetnoob 2011-03-22 09:58

my n900, and possibly everyone who has mplayer installed has the ffmpeg plugin for gstreamer installed, which... drumroll.. allows ffmpeg to offload to hw accelerated gstreamer when it can. so i think ffmpeg is the way to go. (gstreamer-0.10-ffmpeg).

but for the places it can't offload to gstreamer you really really REALLY need frame dropping enabled,which it does really well.

edit: i knew i was out of my depth, it's actually the other way round..

Gstreamer is a multimedia framework which Gnash can use for decoding audio and video. Gstreamer itself cannot decode anything, so it needs some appropriate decoding-plugins to do the work for it. Remember to install them if you use Gnash with Gstreamer enabled. To get the best out of Gnashs gstreamer-parts, it is recommended to install the gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-good and gst-ffmpeg plugins package

leetnoob 2011-03-22 11:33

well, the frame drop option is experimental and therefore turned off by default. you have to modify

path: root/gui/gui.cpp

and change the file directly. best to leave it for now i guess , if it's experimental.

// Define the following macro if you want to skip rendering
// when late on FPS time.
// This is an experimental feature, so it's off by default
//#define SKIP_RENDERING_IF_LATE 1

mece 2011-03-22 13:40

frame dropping works pretty good, but performance is still alot worse than the regular flashplayer. Seems it falls back on agg rendering regardless of which one you choose (Since performance is exactly the same for them all)

leetnoob 2011-03-22 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mece (Post 973087)
frame dropping works pretty good, but performance is still alot worse than the regular flashplayer. Seems it falls back on agg rendering regardless of which one you choose (Since performance is exactly the same for them all)

ok, can i suggest you go back to forcing it to use only certain options at compile time, i.e.

--prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst --enable-renderer=cairo --enable-hwaccel=xv

and make sure you have the gst-ffmpeg package installed in dev and on the phone.. and finally edit the gnashrc file to set those options. if that doesn't work, then things might look a bit more negatron than optimus prime...

maybe include then exclude frame dropping.

it does actually say in the dev manual to only choose one of gst or ffmpeg i think, so maybe that's what went wrong..