maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Hildon Portrait issues thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74968)

JohnLF 2011-07-15 22:31

Hildon Portrait issues thread

Rather than clog up the CSSU thread I though we should have a new thread purely for any issues brought about by the fabulous new hildon portrait homescreen.

This is mainly going to list issues about applications launching from portrait, as well as any system-wide issues. It should NOT list issues about using apps when in portrait mode, i.e. anything you can replicate by simply turning the application to portrait with forced rotation on.

The only issue I have is:-

1. Conboy does not launch when in portrait - gives "Internal Error. Application Conboy closed". It works fine if launched in landscape and then rotated.

No other applicaiton issues or system wide issues at all!

wumpwoast 2011-07-15 23:55

Re: Hildon Portrait issues thread

A couple users have reported the Phone application disappears behind a portrait-mode desktop before the "End Call" button can be pressed. Out of 5 or so phone calls since yesterday, I've seen this behavior occur once.

MINKIN2 2011-07-16 00:08

Issue Resolved: Turn off rotation in microB and enable Forced Rotation in CSSU configuration.

My issue as posted here... http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=4084

"Hi guys, great work with the hildon rotate application but there appears to a feature with the previous CSSU package...

This has reverted change to the rotation of the soft-key in microB. I can no longer have access to the address bar and status menu in portrait mode (one of the CSSU's main features that appealed to me)
."

Sorry for cross posting but I do agree with JohnLF. This App deserves it's own thread for both the praise it deserves and to highlight any issues that need addressing without being lost in a 4000+ post thread.

SHARP66 2011-07-16 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnLF (Post 1051838)
Rather than clog up the CSSU thread I though we should have a new thread purely for any issues brought about by the fabulous new hildon portrait homescreen.

This is mainly going to list issues about applications launching from portrait, as well as any system-wide issues. It should NOT list issues about using apps when in portrait mode, i.e. anything you can replicate by simply turning the application to portrait with forced rotation on.

The only issue I have is:-

1. Conboy does not launch when in portrait - gives "Internal Error. Application Conboy closed". It works fine if launched in landscape and then rotated.

No other application issues or system wide issues at all!

my hildon-desktop rotates only when some message pooping up.
on your photos not much fake effects :) but expressive
i remember my days as amateur photographer, when I put sugar on the top of the negative, or on the paper in darkroom to make some-kind of star effect

arcean 2011-07-16 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1051871)
My issue as posted here... http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=4084

"Hi guys, great work with the hildon rotate application but there appears to a feature with the previous CSSU package...

This has reverted change to the rotation of the soft-key in microB. I can no longer have access to the address bar and status menu in portrait mode (one of the CSSU's main features that appealed to me)
."

Sorry for cross posting but I do agree with JohnLF. This App deserves it's own thread for both the praise it deserves and to highlight any issues that need addressing without being lost in a 4000+ post thread.

I'm sure I have already seen such behaviour. But with newer builds of hildon-desktop, i can't reproduce it.

Later i'll create an annoucement thread with the newest version of hildon-desktop :).

F2thaK 2011-07-16 01:40

is there a way to stop it overwriting the transitions.ini file?

---

also, the lockscreen doesnt rotate anymore into portrait.
if you lock device in landscape it will rotate between orientations, if you lock it in portrait its locked in landscape.......

---
bug found by maxximuscool:

If you opened applications and did not go full screen (browser) then lock your device and unlocking it, the current window that you left before locking minimised to the background.

When playing video and plug to tv, you left it for a while and it turned off the screen, unlocking the device will minimise the video and stopped it from playing.

If you left the device in multitasking mode and lock then unlock it, you'll see that you're back to homescreen.

But if you're in portrait mode, you locked the device and unlocking it everything still the same.

---

If lock with the power button then unlock with the slider button then even in fullscreen mode will be exited and minimised back to home screen.

But when locking with the slider and unlock with power button, the full screen browser stays the same.

This also apply to portrait mode as well.

thanks, GREAT effort BTW!

trisha02 2011-07-16 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1051899)

---

if you lock device in landscape it will rotate between orientations, if you lock it in portrait its locked in landscape.......

---

If you opened applications and did not go full screen (browser) then lock your device and unlocking it, the current window that you left before locking minimised to the background.

When playing video and plug to tv, you left it for a while and it turned off the screen, unlocking the device will minimise the video and stopped it from playing.

If you left the device in multitasking mode and lock then unlock it, you'll see that you're back to homescreen.

But if you're in portrait mode, you locked the device and unlocking it everything still the same.

---

If lock with the power button then unlock with the slider button then even in fullscreen mode will be exited and minimised back to home screen.

But when locking with the slider and unlock with power button, the full screen browser stays the same.

exactly same problem

visN900 2011-07-16 03:33

i dont get my music player(nokia's default) and desktops in portrait mode.. images in portrait view is very bad.. but when i multitask i get the backdrop in portrait mode.. so u guys get the desktop itself in portrait mode??

jinnn_1989 2011-07-16 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1051899)

---

---

---

i am also having the same problem. please some1 find a way to solve this. i am getting irritate alot wid this. thanks in advance

F2thaK 2011-07-16 07:05

arceans working on it mate

n900 lover 2011-07-16 10:37

hey guys . can anyone help me out please, ive been trying to install portraid hildon and everytime i had to reflash, in xterm i wrote root, dkpg -i /home/user/MyDocs/hildondesktop.........deb. the result in xterm says that i need to open some schema file or something like that, and my knoledge of linux in general is about a few commands and using some of the stuff you guys put out. so if you guys can help it would be much appreciated

i also forgot to mention that it goes into reboot loop when i try and reboot

corduroysack 2011-07-16 10:54

i've seen this in the cssu thread but havent installed it yet. i'm usually one to dive straight in but with cssu stuff i usually leave for the update but this option seems too good to wait for. is it at a stage where it is useable?

MINKIN2 2011-07-16 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by visN900 (Post 1051918)
i dont get my music player(nokia's default) and desktops in portrait mode.. images in portrait view is very bad.. but when i multitask i get the backdrop in portrait mode.. so u guys get the desktop itself in portrait mode??

Ditto with the images, full screen image viewing is a little skewed.

It appears as though when you are flicking through images in full screen mode, Rotate is turning the "image viewer" itself around 180degrees. So where you would have to swipe up to see the next picture, you are having to pull down.

When you tap on the screen to go back to window'd view or tap back again to the folder/thumbnail view, everything works great!

Thought I should add this, keep up the awesome work :D

m4r0v3r 2011-07-16 11:03

WHAT!!!! we got a portrait hildon home screen? my phones being repaired :(

stevomanu 2011-07-16 11:09

my hildon home screen only rotates when im multitasking or hanging up a call or if i unlock screen it starts in portait then changes to normal straight away ..

how do i find out when version of hildon home i have installed ..

n900 lover 2011-07-16 11:36

can anyone help?

raverpol 2011-07-16 11:54

1 Attachment(s)
some bugs but not very distrubing :) Love the new portrait mode :)

n900 lover 2011-07-16 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by raverpol (Post 1052063)
some bugs but not very distrubing :) Love the new portrait mode :)

hi could you possibly help me out? ive been trying to install the new HD but its seems to be putting my fone into reboot loop, could you tell me if possible how you installed it? i ran as root /home/user/MyDocs/hildon........deb and it didnt seem to work, but when i try to reboot and ends up in reboot loop.

raverpol 2011-07-16 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900 lover (Post 1052068)
hi could you possibly help me out? ive been trying to install the new HD but its seems to be putting my fone into reboot loop, could you tell me if possible how you installed it? i ran as root /home/user/MyDocs/hildon........deb and it didnt seem to work, but when i try to reboot and ends up in reboot loop.

all I can halep is the plain instruction

- put the file under "Nokia N900" (the same is "MyDocs" in file manager) not in "Documents"
- launch "X Terminal", type "cd MyDocs", enter, "sudo gainroot", enter,
"dpkg -i hildon-desktop_2.2.142-13_​armel.deb", enter.

n900 lover 2011-07-16 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by raverpol (Post 1052070)
all I can halep is the plain instruction

- put the file under "Nokia N900" (the same is "MyDocs" in file manager) not in "Documents"
- launch "X Terminal", type "cd MyDocs", enter, "sudo gainroot", enter,
"dpkg -i hildon-desktop_2.2.142-13_​armel.deb", enter.

it say "must specify some schema files to install" any ideas?

raverpol 2011-07-16 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900 lover (Post 1052072)
it say "must specify some schema files to install" any ideas?

try
sudo gainroot
then
apt-get update
and
apt-get upgrade

and after that the try install again as I wrote two post above, that's all I can help

XiliX 2011-07-16 12:48

Will this be implemented in the next CSSU update? Would be nice :)

F2thaK 2011-07-16 13:22

guesso....

arcean 2011-07-16 13:27

Please download the latest version and check if the reported bugs still exists :-).

Radicalz38 2011-07-16 13:50

Hi arcean! Seems like this report wasn't resolved?
Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1051682)
Hi guys, great work with the hildon rotate application but there appears to a feature with the previous CSSU package...

This has reverted change to the rotation of the soft-key in microB. I can no longer have access to the address bar and status menu in portrait mode (one of the CSSU's main features that appealed to me).

How can we get this back?

pawelstryju 2011-07-16 13:54

nice, thanks for update, bug with minimising application after lock in landscape solved, and i don't have problem with ending calls :)

arcean 2011-07-16 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 (Post 1052121)

Have you checked the latest version? Becauce there it works for me.

n900 lover 2011-07-16 14:05

thanks arcean....you made my day/week/month!

Radicalz38 2011-07-16 14:08

rofl even after reverting back to current CSSU hildon-desktop it's still not showing T_T gonna reflash.

F2thaK 2011-07-16 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcean (Post 1052125)

me too ! :D

pawelstryju 2011-07-16 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcean (Post 1052125)

i don't have problem with this same as arcean

bzbnd 2011-07-16 14:49

I still can see some problems in media player widget (EDIT: and flip clock widget) in portrait desktop . any one else?

geneven 2011-07-16 15:26

To answer Courderoysack back there, yes this is very usable right now, just install the latest deb as described and most users are fine.

F2thaK 2011-07-16 15:34

this bug is still present in version released today

the lockscreen doesnt rotate anymore into portrait.

s15tQ 2011-07-16 15:43

Maybe it would be better if we slide the desktop vertical, not horizontal like in landscape mode.

eefo 2011-07-16 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1052186)
this bug is still present in version released today

the lockscreen doesnt rotate anymore into portrait.

lol
that's the reason why i opened this thread again :P

MINKIN2 2011-07-16 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 (Post 1052121)

Hi arcean and Radicalz

This appears to be resolved now, not sure what happened in previous package (i guess it must have reverted microB default rotation settings. I guess?)

Anyhoo I have just installed the new package, turned off Rotation in microB's options and then make sure Forced Rotation is turned on in the CSSU settings

Voila! All is gravey now :D

eefo 2011-07-16 16:13

ok two things :$
first in portrait mode and opening a web page , the page opens in full screen with turning off the full screen button easily pressable as i turned the full screen off i wasn't able to go to back to full screen again :$

and second is there any possibility again to change the layout of the keyboard just giving a bit space in between alphabets ?

apology if the keyboard problem already has discussed :$

jpala16 2011-07-16 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by corduroysack (Post 1052023)
i've seen this in the cssu thread but havent installed it yet. i'm usually one to dive straight in but with cssu stuff i usually leave for the update but this option seems too good to wait for. is it at a stage where it is useable?

Yes, IMO. Loving it! I didn't know I wanted portrait desktop. I already know... :D

eefo 2011-07-16 17:32

p.s , have found the solution of web page full screen button .on the right side of the bar where tou write the website name there is an arrow click on it and it will pop up a small rectangular box , now this box has two things in it , bookmarks and the full screen mode button , try touching top center it will open bookmarks and tapping bottom center will open the full screen mode .
its not easy to touch the right spot but getting use to it will help ;)