maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] cooktimer for N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84096)

ade 2012-05-06 19:09

[Announce] cooktimer for N900

5 Attachment(s)
Featurelist:
  • 3 timers with a max time of 49 hours per timer
  • possibility for a large amount of predefined items
  • easy selectable custom durations
  • keep backlight on/off
  • vibrate on alarm on/off
  • led blinking on alarm on/off
  • alarmbanner on/off
  • sound on alarm on/off
  • wakeup screen on alarm on/off
  • set auto-orientation or lock in landscape/portrait
  • also makes alarm sound in silent profile
  • will pause the mediaplayer during alarms
  • switching to landscape mode if keyboard is slide open in forced portrait mode
  • configurable alarm sound level
  • set custom alarm file (wav, mp3, ogg)
  • abort the alarmsound by pressing on the finished timecounter
  • set max of 3 additional messages during an alarm
  • pick alarms to display at startup
  • language support
  • switch to stopwatch function by long-press on time remaining
  • switch to continue mode by long pressing the timepick button
  • adding notes to dish

Cooktimer can be found in extras-devel and extras-testing.

Native version for SailfishOS can be found here: https://openrepos.net/content/ade/cooktimer

Estel 2012-05-06 19:33

Re: [Announce] cooktimer for N900

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1202678)
Does something like that not already exist?
Timer/stopwatch like apps can be found in variations. But none of them could serve my wish of having multiple timers and proper portrait mode support. So I wrote my own timer app a while ago. Recently I added some configuration options so it could perhaps be usefull for others.

AFAIK, KitchenAlert (available from repos) was serving the same purposes, with all options You pointed as required.

Still, thanks a lot for this one - diversity is never bad thing :) could You please add support for setting seconds too? Or Did I miss something?

immi.shk 2012-05-06 19:35

nice & flexible app
can you add a widget to it with 5 10 15 & 20 min predefined timer..

ade 2012-05-06 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1202684)
AFAIK, KitchenAlert (available from repos) was serving the same purposes, with all options You pointed as required.

Still, thanks a lot for this one - diversity is never bad thing :) could You please add support for setting seconds too? Or Did I miss something?

I am aware of kitchenAlert and used it for a short while. I tried it in forced portrait mode, but the layout was hardcoded and therefore screwed up in portrait mode.

I left out seconds because I am not interested in seconds then cooking ;)

ade 2012-05-06 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1202685)
nice & flexible app
can you add a widget to it with 5 10 15 & 20 min predefined timer..

You could create an item called "20 minutes" and set the time to 20 minutes for that item. That way you would have your predefined timer?

imo 2012-05-06 19:45

i loved the look of it .thanks

Estel 2012-05-06 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1202689)
I left out seconds because I am not interested in seconds then cooking ;)

I see. Well, when cooking some things (mainly, many types of less-popular eggs), seconds are quite important, and it would definitely make this program more usable.

although, of course, I'm not pushing anything on You. I just thing that having seconds doesn't hurt (i.e. no one forced to use them) nor require big amount of work to implement, yet, it makes timer much more flexible.

Just a thing for consideration.

/Estel

casketizer 2012-05-06 20:31

I also use a timer with seconds for eggs :)
5:40min for EU L class chicken eggs.

ade 2012-05-07 21:50

Didn't know so many people around here are egg cooking professionals :)

I did, and did not implement seconds in the latest version:
  • the QMaemo5timepickselector I use for custom time settings, does not support seconds turns out. I do not want to abandon this selector, so ad-hoc settings will not support seconds
  • For the predefinable items, seconds are introduced

So if you want to have your eggs exactly boiled for 4 minutes and 50 seconds, make that a predefinable item.

P.s. existing predefined dishes should be converted to the new timestamp with seconds during installation automatically.

Estel 2012-05-08 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1203250)
Didn't know so many people around here are egg cooking professionals :)

I did, and did not implement seconds in the latest version.

Killed me with that two lines - took out of context, it sounds almost philosophical :) For a second, I though about using it as my signature, but it's occupied already :(

Anyway, thanks a lot for adding this feature, pre-defined items are good enough.

/Estel

reinob 2012-05-09 08:10

@ade,

Some feedback:
(1) while the portrait layout indeed looks good, in landscape mode a few pixels at the bottom of each of the three timers are cut.

(2) if I add a new timer and hit SAVE and then go to the "choose dish" button I only see the previously saved items, but not the new one. Using the "Save config" option does not make it appear either. I have to close the program and start it again.

(3) I start a timer and then stop it manually. The remaining time is still visible. I then click on the "Time (hh:mi)" button but then cancel it (click outside the window). The remaining time is not there anymore, but the original time.

OK (3) is not really a bug or anything, but somewhat inconsistent behaviour.

Regarding (1), I'm using the HydroCarbon theme. Not sure if the font sizes on cooktimer are hard-coded or if there are affected by the theme (I'll try switching to a built-in theme and see what happens).

Cheers. Although I can only cook like a man (in the bad sense of the word), my wife frequently asks me to set-up a timer while cooking, so your app is indeed useful for me :)

toxaris 2012-05-09 09:11

How much CPU does it consume?
My experience from other countdown-timers is that thay consume alot CPU counting seconds as I understand.

ade 2012-05-09 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinob (Post 1203868)
@ade,

Some feedback:
(1) while the portrait layout indeed looks good, in landscape mode a few pixels at the bottom of each of the three timers are cut.

Not on my phone. Maybe the choosen theme has an influence on that. I use hardcoded fontsizes to answer your question. Will have al look at it.
Quote:

(2) if I add a new timer and hit SAVE and then go to the "choose dish" button I only see the previously saved items, but not the new one. Using the "Save config" option does not make it appear either. I have to close the program and start it again.

Correct, the item list is not updated after a change of the items, it needs a restart. If it is not too much trouble I will make it update on the fly.

Quote:

(3) I start a timer and then stop it manually. The remaining time is still visible. I then click on the "Time (hh:mi)" button but then cancel it (click outside the window). The remaining time is not there anymore, but the original time.

OK (3) is not really a bug or anything, but somewhat inconsistent behaviour.

There is no such thing as resume/pause. So the remaining time shown is not valid anymore after a stop. To make it more consistent I could set it back to the starttime after stop is pressed.

Quote:

Regarding (1), I'm using the HydroCarbon theme. Not sure if the font sizes on cooktimer are hard-coded or if there are affected by the theme (I'll try switching to a built-in theme and see what happens).
Could very well be caused by this

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxaris
How much CPU does it consume?
My experience from other countdown-timers is that thay consume alot CPU counting seconds as I understand.

I do not have the impression it consumes much CPU. I will do some measurement for you.

reinob 2012-05-09 11:39

@ade,

Thanks for your reply. I will also check (1) when I get home.
(2) would be nice to fix, but it's not critical (but I'd still say it's a bug).

Re. (3) yes, I would expect that the counter goes back to the initial!

Thanks a lot!

mr_pingu 2012-05-09 12:13

Unfornately it doesn't ring when silent profile is enabled.
For an Alarm I think it has to ring wether the phone has silent profile selected or General. Because an alarm is there to help you remind something, guess what happens when the normal alarm was silenced when silent profile was active. I would be many times to late :P

And I have to agree with Reinob about point 3. It's a bit incosistent. While the remaining time is visible you expect it continues but instead it starts over again. Stop should immediatly reset the time IMO ;)

Thank you for this wonderful timer :)

ade 2012-05-09 21:53

@toxaris
I monitored the CPU usage somewhat, and the load is not significant. About 1,5% when one timer is running to 3,5% when all timers are active.

@mr_pingu
Confirmed that there is no alarm sound when the silent profile is active. Maybe I should use the mafw framework, but I "solved" it as follows: if cooktime detects the silent profile is active, it will play the alarmsound via mplayer if available (but depending on the current volume settings).

@Reinob
After pushing stop, remaining time will now switch back to the start value.
I did not test other themes regarding the few lost pixels. Did you test it in the meantime?
The instant update of the item-list I gave up for now. I had problems with lost index list positions and removed that part from the code after trying for quit a while.

The new version should be in the repo any time now.

Estel 2012-05-10 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1204386)
@mr_pingu
Confirmed that there is no alarm sound when the silent profile is active. Maybe I should use the mafw framework, but I "solved" it as follows: if cooktime detects the silent profile is active, it will play the alarmsound via mplayer if available (but depending on the current volume settings).

Isn't it too bold to use mplayer as semi-dependency? If there is no other way, maybe just warn people (in package description) that it doesn't ring in silent profile?

Most programs (even games) can't make sound while silent profile is active, and no one seems to be worried about that too much.

/Estel

mr_pingu 2012-05-10 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1204452)
Isn't it too bold to use mplayer as semi-dependency? If there is no other way, maybe just warn people (in package description) that it doesn't ring in silent profile?

Most programs (even games) can't make sound while silent profile is active, and no one seems to be worried about that too much.

/Estel

I understand what you say but for an application that is there to remember you of something, I think it should alarm under all circumstances.
Alarming through sound is a quite vital feature for alarms/timers. For games, the gameplay (ex few exceptions)isn't hurt by no sound. Ofcourse the game experience may be hurt, though.

I don't know much but would using libalarm an solution? It's just a shout coming from the library name, without any real knowledge about what libalarm really does...

reinob 2012-05-10 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1204386)
@toxaris
@Reinob
After pushing stop, remaining time will now switch back to the start value.
I did not test other themes regarding the few lost pixels. Did you test it in the meantime?

I just checked with the Digital Nature and Nokia Nseries themes and I still have the lost pixels.

I cannot attach any screenshots at the moment. Seems I messed up the USB mass storage mode when tweaking the partitions.. when I'm home I'll do that per ssh and post them.

ade 2012-05-10 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1204532)
I understand what you say but for an application that is there to remember you of something, I think it should alarm under all circumstances.
Alarming through sound is a quite vital feature for alarms/timers. For games, the gameplay (ex few exceptions)isn't hurt by no sound. Ofcourse the game experience may be hurt, though.

I don't know much but would using libalarm an solution? It's just a shout coming from the library name, without any real knowledge about what libalarm really does...

I agree on your point about alarm notifications. The alarm framework would go way to far for just a simple timer in terms of complexity.

I estimate the group of people that: use cooktimer, have there profile on silent during use of cooktimer and do not have mplayer installed is extremely small. Theoretically you could then also keep your phone with you and rely on the vibrate function.

mr_pingu 2012-05-10 22:54

I see your point and the problems ;)

It was more or less a point to be made than a real feature request. As I can live without and when I am at home my phone is most of the time in General. I just happened when i used this app this week I forgot to put it in General. Ofcourse it vibrated nicely and no harm was done to my precious food :)

bsd1101 2012-05-16 13:31

for some reason I can't start this app. The icon is there I can push it and see a loading window which closes within about 10 seconds

ade 2012-05-16 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xalted13 (Post 1207388)
for some reason I can't start this app. The icon is there I can push it and see a loading window which closes within about 10 seconds

We are going to need some error message then.

Please start x-terminal and execute:
Code:

/opt/cooktimer/cooktimer
And post the output here.

bsd1101 2012-05-16 15:26

/opt/cooktimer/cooktimer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/cooktimer/cooktimer", line 13, in <module>
from PySide.QtMaemo5 import QMaemo5ValueButton, QMaemo5ListPickSelector, QMaemo5TimePickSelector
ImportError: No module named QtMaemo5

There ya go

ade 2012-05-16 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by xalted13 (Post 1207442)
/opt/cooktimer/cooktimer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/cooktimer/cooktimer", line 13, in <module>
from PySide.QtMaemo5 import QMaemo5ValueButton, QMaemo5ListPickSelector, QMaemo5TimePickSelector
ImportError: No module named QtMaemo5

There ya go

I see I forgot a dependency. :(

Will fix it, but in the mean time you could try:
Code:

root
apt-get install python-pyside.qtmaemo5

to fix it.

edit: uploaded a version with fixed dependencies to extra-devel.

bsd1101 2012-05-16 16:09

ya, that worked

Thanks

immi.shk 2012-05-16 16:35

1 Attachment(s)
CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE AN EXERCISE-TIMER APP TOO..

Attachment 26384
screenshot of a similar java app

it has the following steps(structure)..

1) startup time - time before exercise start

2) workout time - time to do a single set

3) rest time - rest time :)

4) rounds - reps (how many times the workout repeat)
if kept more then 1 after completion of one loop we will get back to #2(not #1)

Note - each Step on completing will trigger a Separate Alarm tone(its so convenient that we don't even need to look at the timer just listening/following alarm is enough:))

their is also a preset(also custom preset) setting so we can add our own routines(since routine for triceps is different from Abs or Rope Skipping or kick-boxing)

this way it will reach a vast community

EXERCISER-TIMER will help loose those Extra Calories we gained via COOK-TIMER :)

ade 2012-05-16 17:00

immi.shk,

Thanks for the idea. I have been getting requests for creating stopwatch like apps in my PM as well.

At the moment, my personal todo-list is just too large for these things to fit in. And most of the time that list just keeps growing :(

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-24 19:18

Thanks for the update (0.0.1-9)
Works great, useful application and also very well thought out.
Love the egg timer style alarm sound.

ade 2012-07-24 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1242396)
Thanks for the update (0.0.1-9)
Works great, useful application and also very well thought out.
Love the egg timer style alarm sound.

Nice to hear that.

I must say I think is it one of the must useful apps I made for myself, and even better that it's useful to others.

Discovered a little cosmetic flaw, so version 0.0.1-10 is coming your way any minute.

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-24 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1242404)
Discovered a little cosmetic flaw, so version 0.0.1-10 is coming your way any minute.

Can't believe I didn't spot it ... :p

ade 2012-07-24 19:41

Yeah, I must say I am a little disappointed. So much for your reputation :D

ade 2012-07-28 13:42

With the renewed interest for package promotion shown on TMO, I want to try to promote one of my applications to testing.

So if I can have your vote if you think it should promote to testing:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...imer/0.0.1-10/

Thanks in advance :)

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-28 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1244141)
With the renewed interest for package promotion shown on TMO, I want to try to promote one of my applications to testing.

Bugtracker link could be better... :D

ade 2012-07-28 15:33

Never really payed much attention to that. Should it contain a link to for example this thread instead of http://bugs.maemo.org/?

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-28 15:45

The actual garage bugtracker page, or your e-mail is best I believe. I have seen a TMO thread before tho.

ade 2012-07-28 15:54

I did not create a garage page for this particular application, but still could.
And who does it work with the voting? A new version with another bugtracker link means a new promoting and voting process? :(

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-28 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1244206)
I did not create a garage page for this particular application, but still could.
And who does it work with the voting? A new version with another bugtracker link means a new promoting and voting process? :(

Yep AFAIK you'll have to package up as version .11 and the votes start again on package .11 armel.
Nobody’s voted yet so better to do in sooner than later.

sixwheeledbeast 2012-07-28 16:14

Looking at another package the link for bugs.maemo.org would be

Code:

Bugtracker: https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cooktimer

vetsin 2012-07-28 16:21

what a coincidence! i'm learning how to use a pressure cooker and saw this in the active topics list. this will come handy.
thanks for this application. :)