maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   N9 turns off when SIM card is inserted (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90393)

MrBhoot 2013-06-07 19:17

N9 turns off when SIM card is inserted

My N9 had 3G connected constantly for about a day. Later, while I was downloading a file (about 150 MB), the phone turned off without any warning.
It refused to turn on after that. Thinking it needed a recharge, I let it charge for half an hour, only to find disappointment later.
Somehow it struck me to remove the SIM and then try. It worked!

So, now the situation is if I insert any SIM card (of any telecom service), the phone will start finding the network, and then immediately turn off without any warning.
However, if I insert a SIM in flight mode, N9 will stay alive. Apparently, finding the network does the toll on my phone.

I have also tries resetting as well as flashing the phone (zero flash). No gain.

Has anybody else faced this problem? Is there any solution to it (hopefully other than replacing some hardware) ?

rainisto 2013-06-07 20:47

Re: N9 turns off when SIM card is inserted

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBhoot (Post 1350357)
My N9 had 3G connected constantly for about a day. Later, while I was downloading a file (about 150 MB), the phone turned off without any warning.
It refused to turn on after that. Thinking it needed a recharge, I let it charge for half an hour, only to find disappointment later.

So, now the situation is if I insert any SIM card (of any telecom service), the phone will start finding the network, and then immediately turn off without any warning.
However, if I insert a SIM in flight mode, N9 will stay alive. Apparently, finding the network does the toll on my phone.

I have also tries resetting as well as flashing the phone (zero flash). No gain.

Has anybody else faced this problem? Is there any solution to it (hopefully other than replacing some hardware) ?

If reflashing firmware with --erase-user-data=secure didn't help you, then its most likely broken sim slot, which needs to be fixed by Nokia Care center.

Qiansumo 2013-06-08 06:10

If your mobile phone without card call 112 also shut down,It was the case with me.The engineer said it was the hardware circuit problem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBhoot (Post 1350357)

MrBhoot 2013-06-08 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qiansumo (Post 1350437)
If your mobile phone without card call 112 also shut down,It was the case with me.The engineer said it was the hardware circuit problem.

I checked it out and shockingly, it turns off. It seems you are right. Do I assume that you had done a zero flash (----erase-user-data=secure) prior to showing it to your engineer?

Also, did you get the circuit replaced? How much did it cost?

I am afraid that service won't be available in India - "Foreign phone - no spare parts available was the reason given by Nokia Care.
In that case, could you guide me to a better, feasible way to get this replaced?

MrBhoot 2013-06-08 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainisto (Post 1350381)
If reflashing firmware with --erase-user-data=secure didn't help you, then its most likely broken sim slot, which needs to be fixed by Nokia Care center.

As a last-ditch effort, I will try this tomorrow night and post the result here. I dont think it will work, however. @Qiansumo's diagnosis worked in my phone. So it might be a hardware circuit failure, after all. :(

Qiansumo 2013-06-08 16:40

Do not need to replace the motherboard, only need to check where the line problem,it May also be the RF power amplifier problems.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBhoot (Post 1350523)
As a last-ditch effort, I will try this tomorrow night and post the result here. I dont think it will work, however. @Qiansumo's diagnosis worked in my phone. So it might be a hardware circuit failure, after all. :(

Qiansumo 2013-06-08 16:56

Reflashing firmware with --erase-user-data=secure didn't work,because I tried many times.It will spend too much time to exam the wiring,In short,it is a quick question.Don't worry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBhoot (Post 1350521)
I checked it out and shockingly, it turns off. It seems you are right. Do I assume that you had done a zero flash (----erase-user-data=secure) prior to showing it to your engineer?

Also, did you get the circuit replaced? How much did it cost?

I am afraid that service won't be available in India - "Foreign phone - no spare parts available was the reason given by Nokia Care.
In that case, could you guide me to a better, feasible way to get this replaced?

nokiabot 2013-06-08 18:11

Damm people and damm countrys if u know this isint a problem as its solved by checking continuity in circurity by replacing just a restior:)
btw you guys really dont have shops that repair mobile phones?? :(

getvasanth 2013-09-04 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qiansumo (Post 1350572)
Do not need to replace the motherboard, only need to check where the line problem,it May also be the RF power amplifier problems.

Did u get it fixed, I am also facing the same issue now. :(

awaiting for your reply

Qiansumo 2013-09-05 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by getvasanth (Post 1372057)
Did u get it fixed, I am also facing the same issue now. :(
awaiting for your reply

Yes,I get it fixed. Do not need to replace the motherboard, only need to check where the line problem,it May also be the RF power amplifier problems. Good luck!

Redevil 2013-09-19 11:37

All of a sudden my N9 switched off and i am facing the same issue. without sim card the phone works, if i insert the sim the phone switches off, even when i dial 112 without sim the phone switches off.

How did you guys fix it. Please help me :confused:

brkrocks 2013-10-06 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qiansumo (Post 1372263)
Yes,I get it fixed. Do not need to replace the motherboard, only need to check where the line problem,it May also be the RF power amplifier problems. Good luck!

hi, i am also facing same problem. as you said there was some line connection problem. if possible can you tell me where specifically was the damage. and did you replace any part?

Redevil 2013-10-09 15:27

The pins that connect to the sim r damage. There is a tiny switch inside the N9 to recognise SIM. Perhaps it doesn't work properly anymore. Punched SIMs can shortcut. You can open the device following these instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9u7r4j0atU … If you don't dare yourself, let someone do it 4U.
These links will b handy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DG_9OiRdY
http://www.mobilerdx.com/2011/10/nok...ution-exe.html

Raj Ranjan 2013-12-09 14:38

What do you mean by Line problem and RF power amplifier problems. :confused: :confused: :confused: ... I am facing same problem.....my n9 turns off when sim card is inserted or calling emergengy no. ..:(:(

MrBhoot 2013-12-09 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redevil (Post 1379626)
The pins that connect to the sim r damage. There is a tiny switch inside the N9 to recognise SIM. Perhaps it doesn't work properly anymore. Punched SIMs can shortcut. You can open the device following these instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9u7r4j0atU … If you don't dare yourself, let someone do it 4U.
These links will b handy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DG_9OiRdY
http://www.mobilerdx.com/2011/10/nok...ution-exe.html

Do you mean to say a punched sim (as in, a normal sim cut to a micro sim) is bound to make this happen? I have a punched out sim. That's why I am asking.

I got the phone repaired once. Within a week, I was back to square one. May be this time I should try with a brand-new micro sim then?

szydl0 2015-10-16 10:33

Bump! My perfectly new N9 from China just had this issue. Where supposed to be this circuit shortcut?

sylwiusz 2017-04-11 09:08

1 Attachment(s)
And now I have N9 with the same problem. Did anybody tried to remove SIM circuit and add jumpers in its place like on insert sim solution in attached picture?

Macros 2017-04-11 09:37

I faced this problem due to a bad battery.
If the phone was charged less than 80% and I inserted a sim/left flight mode, it claimed "Battery empty, 4% left" "biuuu biuuuu" OFF.
Without leaving flight mode it survived up to 5 days, but the voltage drop was apparently to much.

Replaced the battery which a new one and now I works perfectly.

pichlo 2017-04-11 13:14

I had the same problem as Macros with a completely unrelated phone. Answer a call at the battery level below 95% and the sound quality was appalling. Do the same at 75% or lower and BANG! - a reboot. A new battery solved the problem.

deutch1976 2017-04-16 20:11

Any news about this problem? I'm having the same issue

szymeczek34 2017-04-17 01:54

I don't want to be rude here but I guess inserting a simcard causes a big drop in battery voltage which makes the phone reboot. Pichlo and Macros proved that a new battery fixes the issue.

pichlo 2017-04-17 07:15

To clarify, the SIM card itself takes a miniscule current but once it is in, the phone will try to talk to the cellular network and that will cause the power drain and voltage drop.

elros34 2017-04-17 08:55

1 Attachment(s)
I don't claim that you have the same problem but it's probable.

Voltage drop on battery during modem usage (Xperia). New battery solved unexpected reboots.

deutch1976 2017-04-18 01:13

If anyone can test and comprove a new battery will fix this problem i'll buy a new one for my N9

sylwiusz 2017-04-18 13:12

Perhaps it would be a good idea to test this behaviour with DC adapter connected before rushing out to buy a new battery? I'll try it soon and let you know.

szymeczek34 2017-04-18 15:55

Sure, try it. I however would replace the battery anyway. One of the signs of battery wear is the ability to hold the voltage still. When things like that start to happen it simply means the battery is done even though the capacity might be good. Well unless you want to wait a month and see your phone restart when receiving the most important call.

Edit: I fired up my N9 to check this. My battery is quite new. I do not have any equipment at hand but Nokia Energy Profile should tell us what we are dealing with here.
Battery is at 64% charge. When I inserted a sim card, voltage dropped from 3.92V down to 3.86V and current was 434mA at the time. If what NEP says is true then your battery really needs replacing.

deutch1976 2017-04-18 16:10

That would be a great help for many of us. Still i'm also considering to buy a new battery. I saw some generic ones on ebay. Anyone recomends them? Thanks

aspergerguy 2017-04-18 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutch1976 (Post 1526999)
Still i'm also considering to buy a new battery

Have used this company upon a number of occasions:https://stellatech.com/nokia-lumia-8...en,811567.html

Macros 2017-04-19 05:19

For mine I used one from Polarcell as they scored well in an extensive test for N900 batteries:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=872699&postcount=6

The first battery they sent me was however bad, it seemed the sim card wouldn't work at all with it.
But after I sent them a mail, they apologized and immediately sent a new battery in plastic bag with "tested" on it.
That one works just perfect.

Note: for many replacement batteries the connector cables are too long, but you can bend them so they fit within the N9.

deutch1976 2017-04-20 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 (Post 1526998)
Sure, try it. I however would replace the battery anyway. One of the signs of battery wear is the ability to hold the voltage still. When things like that start to happen it simply means the battery is done even though the capacity might be good. Well unless you want to wait a month and see your phone restart when receiving the most important call.

Edit: I fired up my N9 to check this. My battery is quite new. I do not have any equipment at hand but Nokia Energy Profile should tell us what we are dealing with here.
Battery is at 64% charge. When I inserted a sim card, voltage dropped from 3.92V down to 3.86V and current was 434mA at the time. If what NEP says is true then your battery really needs replacing.

Hi there
Any news?

pichlo 2017-04-21 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutch1976 (Post 1527087)
Any news?

What news do you want? You had three independent answers, all telling you the battery is at fault. You got measurements confirming it. Do you need a prophet descending from a holy mountain carrying stone tablets with "thou shalt get a new battery" carved into them by the holy spirit?

deutch1976 2017-04-21 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1527104)
What news do you want? You had three independent answers, all telling you the battery is at fault. You got measurements confirming it. Do you need a prophet descending from a holy mountain carrying stone tablets with "thou shalt get a new battery" carved into them by the holy spirit?

Just in case you can't read...
"Perhaps it would be a good idea to test this behaviour with DC adapter connected before rushing out to buy a new battery? I'll try it soon and let you know."
I was Just asking if he had already tested it

szymeczek34 2017-04-21 13:04

Just a suggestion: try it yourself and report here. My guess is that it will work. If it won't then you should look elsewhere for the cause of reboots.

deutch1976 2017-04-21 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 (Post 1527133)
Just a suggestion: try it yourself and report here. My guess is that it will work. If it won't then you should look elsewhere for the cause of reboots.

I certenly would if i had a new battery to test on it. sylwiusz said he would try so i guess he has one to test

pichlo 2017-04-21 16:12

You can order a new battery on eBay for a few €, and after 3 days waiting for the delivery you will know.
Or, you can keep asking here for another 3 months.
Your call.

deutch1976 2017-04-21 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1527151)
You can order a new battery on eBay for a few €, and after 3 days waiting for the delivery you will know.
Or, you can keep asking here for another 3 months.
Your call.

Have you guys read all the thread? If someone says it will try why the hell should i spend money in something that no one knows it will work? :cool:
If you guys have money to spend like that go ahead
If not please keep youselves in your place

szymeczek34 2017-04-21 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylwiusz (Post 1526992)
Perhaps it would be a good idea to test this behaviour with DC adapter connected before rushing out to buy a new battery? I'll try it soon and let you know.

As you can see, nobody is buying any batteries and testing this for you.
Connecting a DC adapter means plugging in a charger to a phone.

So please, for the love of god, accept my help and check if your Nokia N9 connected to your fully working charger, while having 85% battery, reboots when you insert your sim card.
If it doesn't - reboot buy a new battery.
If it reboots and you want the phone fully operational - buy a new battery to eliminate it from causes of the reboots.
If it still is not fixed - look for another causes.
If you can't find any - change the way you use your phone and turn it off in order to eject or insert a sim card.

I explained everything to you.

deutch1976 2017-04-21 17:23

I accept all your sugestions and i am not asking anybody to buy a battery and test it. As refered before there was someone willing to try...

deutch1976 2017-04-26 18:05

Just bought a new battery and unfortunatly the problem persists. Any new ideas will be apreciated

john greg 2017-07-11 02:51

i just got the same problem, but i fixed it by just rebooting my phone using this command. you need to root it first.:)

/sbin/reboot