maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Quickddit - Reddit client for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91900)

dicksonleong8 2013-12-01 07:40

Quickddit - Reddit client for Harmattan

I can't believe myself I still developing for a dying OS. So here's a little app I want to share with the remaining loyal Harmattan community.

Quickddit is a Reddit client for Harmattan, developed using Qt. With the power of Qt Quick and MeeGo Qt components, Quickddit has a native and fluid UI. Currently in BETA.

Please post any feedback/suggestion/bugs in here, or tweet me.

Download and Screenshots: OpenRepos (Now available for SailfishOS too, discussion thread)

Changelog: GitHub

Source: GitHub

DJJonosound 2013-12-01 08:13

Re: Quickddit - Reddit app for N9

Dude you are awesome for making this. I cant wait to see what new versions will bring. :D

gerbick 2013-12-01 08:30

Wow! Unexpected but oh so cool.

Greendts 2013-12-01 08:40

I don't have any need for this app, but I just wanted to say thanks for continuing to develop for our platform, you sir are awesome

malmostoso 2013-12-01 13:27

Thank you! The first release looks great!
I could not login, the cursor was in the username field but the keyboard didn't come up.

Looking forward to future versions!

dicksonleong8 2013-12-01 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 1391378)
Thank you! The first release looks great!
I could not login, the cursor was in the username field but the keyboard didn't come up.

Looking forward to future versions!

Try double click on the field? It was a common bug on some other apps too and most likely can't be fix on our side.

dak_sriv 2013-12-01 14:01

Thanks for that m8. Been using the HTML version, looks like you didn't like it :P
Great work :D

salsatabasco 2013-12-01 17:22

Thanks for making this! I have waited years for a good reddit client that follows UI guidelines and that also allows login to see subscribed content. If I find any bug I'll tell ya.

ThePolo 2013-12-01 17:30

Thank you so much! :D

malmostoso 2013-12-01 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 (Post 1391383)
Try double click on the field? It was a common bug on some other apps too and most likely can't be fix on our side.

That did the trick, thank you!
Your client looks really good and easy to use. I am looking forward for further enhancements!

NokiaFanatic 2013-12-01 20:38

Great work - I hope to see your apps on a Sailfish device. Do you think that will ever happen?

mikecomputing 2013-12-01 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 (Post 1391303)
I can't believe myself I still developing for a dying OS. So here's a little app I want to share with the remaining loyal N9 community.

Quickddit is a Reddit app for N9. Developed using Qt and Qt Quick(QML), it is powerful, smooth and cross-platform (soon).

This is an ALPHA release, so please expect some bugs. I planned to port to SailfishOS after it is stable.

Please post any feedback/suggestion/bugs in here, or tweet me.

Changelog:
0.0.1 [alpha] 1/12/2013
- First alpha release.

Known issues/bugs:
- Currently only READ-ONLY functions are implemented (means you can't upvote/downvote/post comment/etc)
- No pinch zooming for the sign in page
- Can only view image for post with "i.imgur.com" domain
- Markdown formatted text is not parsed
- Copy URL is not working
- NSFW posts are not filtered

All known issues/bugs are fixing in progress.

Download and Screenshots: OpenRepos

Source: GitHub

Definitivly looking better than the ugly old reedit app.

Consider port it to nemo to ;)

ridmaur 2013-12-01 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 (Post 1391303)
I can't believe myself I still developing for a dying OS.

So much appreciated! Awaiting my Jolla device I am still not 100% convinced that Jolla's UI will beat the Harmattan UI. It was (and still is) so clear and concise. I never read better UX guidelines for a platform than those found at http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/ux/.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of apps on the N9 platform that blatantly violate all of these, but your Quickddit app is a true example of how to read and apply these guidelines.

Thanks again!

dak_sriv 2013-12-02 12:45

May the testing begin. :D
That's how most of the self posts appear on my screen.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/1...992c4bd0_o.png

dicksonleong8 2013-12-02 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak_sriv (Post 1391672)
May the testing begin.
That's how most of the self posts appear on my screen.

Thanks. Happens when the text of the self post is too long. It is a bug in QML itself so not easy to fix. Scroll down should able to remove the stacking text.

dicksonleong8 2013-12-02 18:06

@NokiaFanatic @mikecomputing

SailfishOS - yes, after it is stable and features complete.
Nemo - probably no. Too lazy to reflash my N9 and high risk lossing my data :( (n9 still my primary phone)

imaginaryenemy 2013-12-05 19:46

Everything you have implemented so far is working great. Awesome work.

dicksonleong8 2013-12-19 09:07

Bump for 0.1.0 beta release. Changelog at first post!

gipawu 2013-12-23 19:54

Great application! Thank you :)
Btw, just an hint: maybe I missed it, but it would be nice having the possibility to save a list of favorite subreddits.
I hope you'll keep improving this app :)
EDIT: I figured lol, I needed to sign in to get the list of subscribed subreddits :D

imaginaryenemy 2013-12-23 20:00

I am so pleased with how fast updates are coming. As soon as links are clickable, I will be able to get rid of Meedit entirely! Thanks for the hard work.

dicksonleong8 2013-12-24 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1400097)
I am so pleased with how fast updates are coming. As soon as links are clickable, I will be able to get rid of Meedit entirely! Thanks for the hard work.

Because of your words alone, I decide to release 0.1.1!

Changelog:
- Add a button row in comment page for voting/view image/open url
- Link in comment now can be clicked
- Clicking on a compatible in-text image link will allow you to view the image directly

Commenting feature is not easy to implement so this will probably the last update ..... for this year! :p

Merry Christmas everyone!

imaginaryenemy 2013-12-24 13:32

What amazing news! This update is awesome. Not only are links clickable, but the button row is great! Goodbye, Meedit.

malmostoso 2013-12-31 12:30

Thank you for the new version! It is amazingly fast, once commenting is implemented it will be absolutely great! Happy new year!

Zpiritual 2014-01-05 14:11

This is a great app and I'm really thankful you created this fine app for this fine (although dead-ish) phone.

But since this is a beta I'll give some annoyances I've found:
The main thing that annoys me right now is the list of subscribed subreddits, most importantly it doesn't show all the subreddits I'm subscribed to and the ones that do show is in a random order (the last one isn't that important really). I can live with it

dicksonleong8 2014-01-07 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zpiritual (Post 1403988)
The main thing that annoys me right now is the list of subscribed subreddits, most importantly it doesn't show all the subreddits I'm subscribed to and the ones that do show is in a random order (the last one isn't that important really). I can live with it

The order of subscribed subreddits list is same with given by reddit, which is from most popular subreddits to lesser. Basically you can see it like the top bar in the Reddit website, which also can't list all the subreddits you subscribed. To see the full list, you have to click "browse for subreddits" then select "My Subreddits - Subscriber" from the section button at the bottom toolbar.

Zpiritual 2014-01-07 19:20

Re: Quickddit - Reddit client for Harmattan

Aha, I see. I can accept the reason for it being this way then. Although, it certainly be nice to be able to manually pick the subreddits you can see in that condensed list since it's very easy to access or maybe it would be possible to cache the entire list and then show it straight up?

Either way, it's really nice to have this app. Meeddit was nice and all for what it was but this is a really nice app, one of the best apps I've found on the N9. Not that it says much sadly but still, thank you again!

dicksonleong8 2014-01-11 08:21

Bump!

Finally, I have done the comment feature!

Releasing 0.2.0 beta for Harmattan and Sailfish OS.

In order to keep it tidy, I will not post the changelog to here anymore. Changelog will be available at GitHub.

Note: You must sign out and sign in again if you have signed in using the older version.

imaginaryenemy 2014-01-11 16:53

Great work!

gipawu 2014-01-12 10:39

Awesome, thank you!
A hint for next version, if you can: it would be nice having an option to download images without opening web browser.

Zpiritual 2014-01-12 15:45

Nice update, happy to see that you can now load all your subreddits right there in the subreddit menu thingy.

dicksonleong8 2014-01-12 16:36

While i'm still deciding to work on which major feature for the next release, why don't you guys tell me what's your most wanted features (or bug fix, UI improvement, etc) for the next version? :)

Zpiritual 2014-01-13 10:48

I'd like to see Imgur albums in the app, as it is now you just get a error message and then need to open the album in the browser instead.

dicksonleong8 2014-01-13 15:56

It already support for Imgur albums viewing, what error message you got? What's the Imgur album URL you trying to open?

Quickddit support for viewing Imgur album URL of http://imgur.com/a/{album-id}.

malmostoso 2014-01-14 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 (Post 1405860)
While i'm still deciding to work on which major feature for the next release, why don't you guys tell me what's your most wanted features (or bug fix, UI improvement, etc) for the next version? :)

Thank you so much for version 0.2.0, it works nicely on my N9!
I have two feature requests:

1) Private message inbox
2) Clicking on the thumbnail should immediately open the image, while clicking on the thread title should open the comments

I hope it's clear what I mean!

Zpiritual 2014-01-14 18:32

Hmm. It seem to work now, tried a few yesterday and then it didn't work. Might have been an imgur issue I suppose :)

Zpiritual 2014-01-16 18:35

Maybe adding better navigation inside of reddit. For example when clicking a comment link or a post link in the comments it could open in the app instead of the browser.

Also, I usually browse /r/all and when clicking on a post I may want to check out the subreddit that post was posted in and going directly from the post to that subreddit isn't possible as far as I can tell.

Maybe open youtube videos in cutetube if installed, I don't even know if cutetube can do that though so I don't know.

dicksonleong8 2014-01-17 20:00

The navigation improvement is definitely on my todo list - I do have the same thought when using it in a daily basis.

Communication between two 3rd party is almost impossible unless the devs collabrate (i don't think worth the effort), so CuteTube integration is probably impossible. And I don't use CuteTube, mobile web of youtube is pretty good :)

Zpiritual 2014-01-18 00:25

http://imgur.com/gallery/nddmT

That's one album that doesn't work. Not sure about the difference between album and gallery though.

dicksonleong8 2014-01-23 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zpiritual (Post 1407206)
http://imgur.com/gallery/nddmT

That's one album that doesn't work. Not sure about the difference between album and gallery though.

that's one of the Imgur url that I'm not able to parse :( because /gallery/id can either be an image or an album, however their API has separate endpoint for image and album, so I don't know should I ask for an album or an image through their API.

Zpiritual 2014-01-25 19:46

Hmm. Not sure what you mean exactly since I'm not too familiar with their API, but isn't the only difference in the app that it'll show the small preview at the bottom if it's an album even though it's only one image? Can't you simply ask for album and then not show the preview bar if there's only one image?

Sorry, I have no idea really ^^