maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Jolla hardware internals (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92243)

der_pepe 2014-01-02 01:34

Jolla hardware internals

Hi guys,

Had some spare time, so I grabbed some torx screwdrivers and before the remorse feeling started to kick in, I opened my beautiful Jolla :D. This is what I've found so far:

The phone seems to be manufactured by Qisda Corporation

Some subcomponents used on the phone seems to have been manufactured by "Truly Electronics" (Screen controller?, microSD/SIM sockets flex-board)

The memory is a "Micron MT42L256M32D2LK-18" (labeled as D9QMM) it's a low power DDR2 memory
in a 216-ball FBGA package, soldered in top of the processor.
Datasheet

The main RF amplifier it's an ACPM-7251 manufactured by "Avago Technologies".
Teoricaly, it supports GSM (850/900), EDGE (1800/1900), UMTS (850/900/2100) and LTE (850)
Datasheet

There is at least another LTE RF amplifier.

The audio CODEC it's a Qualcomm WCD9304.

The PMIC it's a Qualcomm PM8038.

The NFC controller it's an PN544 (labeled as 44701) manufactured by NXP Semiconductors.
It supports read/write of ISO 14443–A, 14443-B, MIFARE, FeliCa and NFC Forum tags, and
it can emulate such devices. There's a good chance it's already hooked up into the I2C bus, so it
might be "hacked" and be used for something else than just reading TOHs.
Datasheet

The aluminium usage on the device it's merely anecdotic since it's just a thin layer covering half of the frame border, so there's no "heatsink" effect whatsoever but just a cheap way to make it look sturdier. Also, the buttons are actually made of rubber with the aluminum part glued onto them :confused:.

As a final note, I thought that my device was defective, since the audio was coming only from the left grid, but the fact is that the phone is MONO and carries just a single loudspeaker,
the grill at the right it's for the microphone.
(Now I feel dumb by thinking that, even with their weird placement, 2 grills equals two speakers, but there's no mention on the specs of the phone being Stereo :p)

I'll try to upload some of the crappy pictures I took.

richardski 2014-01-02 01:45

Re: Jolla hardware internals

Very useful info - Cheers:)

Richard

kimmoli 2014-01-02 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by der_pepe (Post 1402888)
before the remorse feeling started to kick in, I opened my beautiful Jolla

Assuming there was no 5 seconds remorse timer?

mattaustin 2014-01-02 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by der_pepe (Post 1402888)
The RF amplifier it's an ACPM-7251 manufactured by "Avago Technologies".
Teoricaly, it supports GSM (850/900), EDGE (1800/1900), UMTS (850/900/2100) and LTE (850)

Thanks!

Looks like there will be no LTE in Australia then :/

Although - according to Wikipedia, there is no DNA LTE 850 network, so I'm still hopeful for other frequencies to be supported.

Metsämies 2014-01-02 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattaustin (Post 1402904)
Thanks!

Looks like there will be no LTE in Australia then :/

Although - according to Wikipedia, there is no DNS LTE 850 network, so I'm still hopeful for other frequencies to be supported.

I hope too, that there is European LTE 800. Now it's legal in Finland too and first base stations will be online this week.

Rauha 2014-01-02 06:39

JollaHQ already confirmed LTE bands to be bands 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 20 (800 MHz).

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/417963197564747776

LTE 850 makes no sense. Its not used in neither Europe nor China, nor could they cover 6 continents with it. Hardly any networks anywhere use it.

Stskeeps 2014-01-02 07:41

Truly is the LCD controller/screen

juiceme 2014-01-02 10:37

I wonder if any of the extra pins could be for serial console connection?

der_pepe 2014-01-02 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1402914)
JollaHQ already confirmed LTE bands to be bands 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 20 (800 MHz).

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/417963197564747776

LTE 850 makes no sense. Its not used in neither Europe nor China, nor could they cover 6 continents with it. Hardly any networks anywhere use it.

That RF amplifier doesn't seem to be used for anything else than 2/2.5/3G, probably there's an LTE-only amplifier on the other side of the board :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 1402921)

Yep, that makes sense there's a couple of Truly boards in the device, one houses the uSD/SIM sockets, the other could be the LCD controller :confused:.

Pictures coming up :)

der_pepe 2014-01-02 11:16

http://s21.postimg.org/5mwlj3c47/back_a.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/plh1z7m6v/top_a_1.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/raq57a1w7/top_b_1.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/qz8ouilg7/top_b_2.jpg

rainisto 2014-01-02 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1402967)
I wonder if any of the extra pins could be for serial console connection?

Yes there are pins hidden somewhere, but currently that feature is disabled for normal users.

juiceme 2014-01-02 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by der_pepe (Post 1402979)

ohh, I am afraid you killed your device for the last shot... It's pretty difficult to get the RF shields back in place so that the device remains in spec :(

Konsta 2014-01-02 16:16

Here's some hardware information that can be pulled from the software side (kernel source/inspecting dmesg).

Chipset: Qualcomm msm8930aa
Wifi/Bluetooth: Qualcomm Prima (driver, unknown[*] qcom chip)
Display (DSI+panel?): OriseTech otm9608a
Touchscreen: Focaltech ft5316 or Synaptics s3202
Camera (back, front): OmniVision ov8825, OmniVision ov2675
Camera LED flash: Analog Devices adp1650
NFC: NXP Semiconductors‎ pn544
Acceleration: Bosch Sensortec bma255
Magnetic/compass: Bosch Sensortec bmm050
Motion/gyro: STMicroelectronics l3gd20
Proximity/ambient light: TAOS tsl2772

I'm quite sure I've got these right (correct me if I'm wrong :P). It would be interesting to know what wifi/bt(/fm?)-combo chip there's inboard. It also looks like Jolla device was ODM'ed by Qisda Corporation, no idea who/where actually manufactured it though.

Edit.[*]Wifi/Bluetooth chip is most likely Qualcomm WCN3660 because I'm quite sure it simply can't be anything else. This chip also has FM radio capabilities even though there's been some communication from Jolla that there's no FM hardware (this threw me off). Even the qcom 'iris' radio driver that it uses is enabled in Jolla device's kernel. ;)

thedead1440 2014-01-02 16:33

From here it seems Qisda Corp is just BenQ...

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 17:13

It seems that der_pepe opened one of our prototype devices ..

Silwer 2014-01-02 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403094)

What is different in actual product sold?

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 17:27

First of all, these devices have never been sold by Jolla.

Differencies are mainly on details, and in the overall quality.

XiliX 2014-01-02 17:37

thanks for destroying your Jolla so we wont have to.

minimos 2014-01-02 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403102)
First of all, these devices have never been sold by Jolla.

Differencies are mainly on details, and in the overall quality.

Can you tell if all Jolla devices so far released to public are of same h/w revision?

der_pepe 2014-01-02 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403094)

Prototype?? :eek: I bought it from http://shop.jolla.com after I received the email with the password like (almost) everyone else! (Including the looooong wait until my phone arrived around mid December :p)

For those concerned about the health of my device, I'll just say It's working perfectly and I haven't noticed any kind of degradation on its functionality (I'm not a IFixIt guy, but I know my way around electronics) although I would NOT RECOMEND to anyone to open up his device, risking this awesome (and 400€ worth) phone :D

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by der_pepe (Post 1403142)
Prototype?? :eek: I bought it from http://shop.jolla.com after I received the email with the password like (almost) everyone else! (Including the looooong wait until my phone arrived around mid December :p)

For those concerned about the health of my device, I'll just say It's working perfectly and I haven't noticed any kind of degradation on its functionality (I'm not a IFixIt guy, but I know my way around electronics) although I would NOT RECOMEND to anyone to open up his device, risking this awesome (and 400€ worth) phone :D

You are right, and you were bit too fast to reply.

This is CE device after all, I was looking something else, but already from the label that is under battery you can clearly see that it is CE device.

I am sorry for the confusion, my bad.

der_pepe 2014-01-02 20:18

No need to apologize, I didn't meant to sound harsh or anything :)

First of all, I opened my phone just to satisfy my curiosity, not to criticize its quality nor its components.
Also note I didn't tear it down completely, so things like eMMC and other RF amplifiers, WiFi/Bt chips,
gyroscope/magnet, etc.. are not in the pictures, since at this time I didn't feel like removing the RF shield
behind the uSD/SIM board, so the component list on the 1st post is incomplete and probably inaccurate
(I'll edit that later)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jolla phone, but even more than that, I love what the people at Jolla is doing and I have set very high hopes on Sailfish.

Dave999 2014-01-02 20:29

The question is why you had to dismantle a perfectly good jPhone to get the info(yeah, I know you thought it was fun) but why could't jolla just release the info?

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimos (Post 1403124)
Can you tell if all Jolla devices so far released to public are of same h/w revision?

Yes, so far they should be from same h/w revison.

There can and will be minor differences in future, but nothing that is "lower" spec than originally.

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1403170)
The question is why you had to dismantle a perfectly good jPhone to get the info(yeah, I know you thought it was fun) but why could't jolla just release the info?

Well, what exactly you are looking for ?

As you saw earlier in thread, konsta was able to get a lot of relevant information out from SW side alone.

Dave999 2014-01-02 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403173)
Well, what exactly you are looking for ?

As you saw earlier in thread, konsta was able to get a lot of relevant information out from SW side alone.

I'm not looking for anything special right now. But when the jPhone ll arrives I would love to compare with next iteration of hardware.

Just though we could save some time for the brave sole in this thread.

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 1402921)

Truly has made some "sub components" of the HW, like the flex where emcc and SIM card holders are monted, and "lower part" of the phone where speaker and microphone are.

hana 2014-01-02 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konsta (Post 1403079)
It also looks like Jolla device was ODM'ed by Qisda Corporation, no idea who/where actually manufactured it though.

Dell Venue Pro (2010) and BenQ F3 (November 2013), the new cousins of Jolla! :)

Great camera features on that F3 (for a $270 phone), by the way. 13 mexapixels, BSI sensor, F2.2 aperture, HDR, zero shutter delay, panorama, continous shooting...

harrihakulinen 2014-01-02 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by hana (Post 1403188)
Dell Venue Pro (2010) and BenQ F3 (November 2013), the new cousins of Jolla! :)

Those devices are quite distant "cousins", if you like, e.g. F3 is based on MTK chipset. With little research you may do much better ;)

Qisda is actually parent company of BenQ, not vice versa. And they have been focusing on ODM business since 2007.

www.Qisda.com

hana 2014-01-02 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403190)
Those devices are quite distant "cousins", if you like, e.g. F3 is based on MTK chipset. With little research you may do much better ;)

I know BenQ A3 has Snapdragon (although not the same Jolla has), but I like F3's camera more...

Milhouse 2014-01-02 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrihakulinen (Post 1403172)
Yes, so far they should be from same h/w revison.

There can and will be minor differences in future, but nothing that is "lower" spec than originally.

The SIM slot is a bit iffy and certainly needs a tweak! :)

skvark 2014-01-02 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 1403205)
The SIM slot is a bit iffy and certainly needs a tweak! :)

There's definitely major problem with the SIM slot. The microswitch is too sensitive to little changes (a very weak press on the TOH may break connection).

mrsellout 2014-01-02 22:55

I agree, I've taken to keeping it in my least tight pocket (Jacket pocket > back jean pocket > front jean pocket).

Milhouse 2014-01-02 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 1403222)
I agree, I've taken to keeping it in my least tight pocket (Jacket pocket > back jean pocket > front jean pocket).

Hooking the gold triangle over the edge of the SIM card (using a length of cotton thread lassoed around the gold triangle for lift) solves the disconnect, but obviously new devices coming off the production line shouldn't have this problem.

Thanks to skvark for detailing this particular solution on together.jolla.com.

http://relativity.fi/jolla_sim/sim_problem.JPG

Just realised there's no way to link directly to a specific comment on together.jolla.com... :(

skvark 2014-01-02 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milhouse (Post 1403227)
Hooking the gold triangle over the edge of the SIM card (using a length of cotton thread lassoed around the gold triangle for lift) solves the disconnect, but obviously new devices coming off the production line shouldn't have this problem.

Thanks to skvark for detailing this particular solution on together.jolla.com.

http://relativity.fi/jolla_sim/sim_problem.JPG

Just realised there's no way to link directly to a specific comment on together.jolla.com... :(

The microswitch may break easily when doing the hooking and obviously it's not permanent solution. Someone cut the edge of the sim card more thin and reported that it worked too (it's better to modify the card than the 399€ phone).

Milhouse 2014-01-02 23:22

Yes, we really could do with some official input on this problem... what the best solution is, whether hooking is likely to break the microswitch etc. or if a software fix is possible (ignore the SIM sensor).

I'm not sure that trimming my SIM would help as the gold triangle barely touches the SIM card as it is (unless I lift it over).

xillibit 2014-01-03 09:10

The Jolla phone has the same chipset Qualcomm MSM8930AA than HTC One, this one support LTE fréquencies in following flavor : 800/1800/2600 MHz :)

ggabriel 2014-01-03 09:27

Regarding the SIM card, I haven't experienced any issue just yet, but it is clear that there are different ones, and I guess that a very slight difference can affect your experience. I'll keep my eyes open and test more. For info, my Jolla isn't my main phone just yet, hence I'm swapping SIM cards with the N9 all the time without issue.

ggabriel 2014-01-03 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggabriel (Post 1403290)
Regarding the SIM card, I haven't experienced any issue just yet, but it is clear that there are different ones, and I guess that a very slight difference can affect your experience. I'll keep my eyes open and test more. For info, my Jolla isn't my main phone just yet, hence I'm swapping SIM cards with the N9 all the time without issue.

Well, if you do press on the other half exactly where the SIM card is, it does disconnect and the phone wants to reboot. Luckily, you can tell it "reboot later" and the phone still works as a phone.

Not ideal, but not sure what Jolla can do about it? Maybe provide a sturdier other half? Hopefully this won't happen when I get my physical keyboard other half ;-)

Mikkosssss 2014-01-03 12:37

Happens to me too and once disconnected call when I jumped when on phone. :p
So what way it should be? My simcard pushes switch much but still not enought?.

I am thinking to put piece of plastic between sim and switch.