maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nexus Sailfish coming in September! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97143)

robthebold 2016-08-05 21:52

Nexus Sailfish coming in September!

Of course, despite the name, it runs Android . . . Talk about getting my hopes up with the headline though

:(

http://www.techspot.com/news/65860-b...fications.html

LouisDK 2016-08-05 22:03

Re: Nexus Sailfish coming in September!

Really nice (or something). Articles about this device has started to show up under "Related articles" when I read about SailfishOS or Jolla on Facebook :/

Hopefully it this Nexus codename might spike a little interest for SailfishOS for regular Android users, but I sadly don't think so.

ste-phan 2016-08-06 09:25

Stupid name, how to identify with it? Is it even food?

Why did they not call it the Nexus "Windows" instead?

The device and display looks square like a window.

Your window on the (online) world?

Zeta 2016-08-06 10:23

Looks like google bombing :D

How to push sailfishOS in page 10 ? Simple, name a nexus "sailfish"... :cool:

eson 2016-08-06 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta (Post 1511890)
How to push sailfishOS in page 10 ? Simple, name a nexus "sailfish"... :cool:

Exactly what I thought to. Make it harder to find the real thing, if people ever get to hear about "Sailfish".
Is there no copyright or tm law to use against google?

aegis 2016-08-06 16:18

I would think it's way more likely that Google pays absolutely no attention to what Jolla are doing when they came up with those names. Sailfish is surely nothing more than a very faint diminishing blip on their radar.

ajalkane 2016-08-06 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1511903)
I would think it's way more likely that Google pays absolutely no attention to what Jolla are doing when they came up with those names. Sailfish is surely nothing more than a very faint diminishing blip on their radar.

Actually I think the reverse is true. A huge company such as Google has awful lot of lawyers, forward planning, threat analysing and such some of which makes probably no sense at all to any of us.

There's no way they would be unaware of SailfishOS when picking that name up, without someone pointing it out. That they did anyway choose it is of course no proof of malice. Choosing that could go either way, it could also point more people to SailfishOS when googling about the device.

And I say this without having no strong feelings about Google. I use many of their services, and consider them personally a better company than many other big companies.

Kabouik 2016-08-07 03:01

I think it's a very bad news for Jolla. I don't foresee more people coming to Sailfish by looking for information on this device, but rather people failing at finding relevant information on Sailfish because of the tremendous number of hits they will get on this device first, even on non-Google search engines. It will at the same time make Sailfish look less important and then less appealing. And even the ambiguity between Sailfish and the name of a Google product is beneficial to Google, given that millions of people will only know the later and contribute to getting rid of such ambiguity.

gerbick 2016-08-07 03:33

I doubt these names will be forward facing names for these devices. The Nexus 6 was Shamu. The Nexus 4 was Mako. In fact, there's a lot of fish names utilized in the project names.

m4r0v3r 2016-08-07 18:21

my favourite were hammerhead and bullhead

Zeta 2016-08-07 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1511924)
I doubt these names will be forward facing names for these devices. The Nexus 6 was Shamu. The Nexus 4 was Mako. In fact, there's a lot of fish names utilized in the project names.

Good point, didn't think of that (not an english native speaker).
The second device of this generation will be called marlin, so still in the fish theme.

herpderp 2016-08-07 21:50

Most, if not all of the Google Nexus devices are codenamed after fish.

mosen 2016-08-08 07:18

Some #Sailfish twitter Bots are also in need of optimization now

marmistrz 2016-08-08 07:18

I guess you should put this on TJC so that the Jolla Oy itself can react, if they wish to.

mosen 2016-08-08 07:45

I think it is sufficiant to give a hint to the account holders directly and minimize the fuzz.
Jolla themselfes are already using the correct #SailfishOS.

EDIT
Intex also changed to correct tag after using the wrong one in the beginning.
Looks like Jolla is already aware.

marmistrz 2016-08-08 07:53

Yep, but maybe Jolla decide to sue/c&d/whatever.

mosen 2016-08-08 07:55

yep, but i do not find the proper wording for a tjc question. please someone else do if found necessary ;)

NokiaFanatic 2016-08-08 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1511903)

Unfortunately, I think this is the case.

NokiaFanatic 2016-08-08 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1511985)
Yep, but maybe Jolla decide to sue/c&d/whatever.

The last thing Jolla would want to do is sue. I imagine counter-suits regarding the use of Android drivers would then follow.

pichlo 2016-08-08 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1511982)
I guess you should put this on TJC so that the Jolla Oy itself can react, if they wish to.

They already know. Have known for over a month already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1511988)
I imagine counter-suits regarding the use of Android drivers would then follow.

Eh? Are you telling us that the use of drivers is not legit?

Jedibeeftrix 2016-08-08 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1511990)
They already know. Have known for over a month already.

Eh? Are you telling us that the use of drivers is not legit?

he's telling you that big-companies sink little companies while they use the law courts to determine that there was in fact no legal case to be answered.

welcome to patent litigation 101.

tioubxancur 2016-09-20 10:25

In the Pixel launcher which mostly will be coming with Google Pixel (Sailfish), the way to bring up the app drawer is swipe up! Coincidence? :D

nh1402 2016-09-20 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tioubxancur (Post 1515344)
In the Pixel launcher which mostly will be coming with Google Pixel (Sailfish), the way to bring up the app drawer is swipe up! Coincidence? :D

Yep they stole that. Also the announcement has been officially confirmed for the 4th October, and not September like early reports stated.

itdoesntmatt 2016-09-20 10:48

could jolla pursue them for this? is the swipe up for drawer copyrighted?
this could be an important opportunity of advertising with name reported on journals.

nthn 2016-09-20 13:14

Even if Jolla invented that gesture, which they didn't because old Android and even the N9 could do the same thing, who cares someone else did the same thing? If you want for Jolla to sue Google for something as simple as moving from the bottom border to bring up the list of applications, you're no better than any of the Silicon Valley giants who sue each other for everything under the sun, precisely the kinds of people you want to rid yourself of by supporting Jolla and Sailfish. Please don't be a hypocrite.

itdoesntmatt 2016-09-20 13:34

well, sometimes some kind of weapons are needed if you want to survive. i am not sure you can come out alive from a war with just a polite smile.
and since google is closing as much as they can..sadly it is business and market,not only passion...for all. so jolla is hypocrite for having silica closed and proprietary? no it isnt at all. they are just protecting themselves.
i dont know if someone invented it before, but it was a great idea.

nthn 2016-09-20 13:39

You can't fight a giant head-on. You can only try to be(come) a better giant.

itdoesntmatt 2016-09-20 13:43

bah, for me it is very good as ideal, but a bit too much irrealistic...

nh1402 2016-09-20 13:43

The phones are also rumoured to have *spits*, iPhone style pricing.

mikecomputing 2016-09-20 18:23

Its a freaking Android phone why care!?

ibrakalifa 2016-09-21 01:46

cause thats my only option now, i can't afford your mighty sailfish which is unavailable in my region, n9 slowly dying, my n900 is completely broken and it's so hard to find the replacement, neo900 also seems just like another myths, android for now, sorry but i have no choice.

juiceme 2016-09-21 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1515388)
android for now, sorry but i have no choice.

Don't be sorry, get one of the androids mentioned here; https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Join the revolution and install SFOS on your device! :D

nh1402 2016-09-21 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1515398)
Don't be sorry, get one of the androids mentioned here; https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Join the revolution and install SFOS on your device! :D

You don't even need to buy one of those, providing kernel source is available, the bootloader is unlockable and a compatible version of CyanogenMod or AOSP 5 is available, then you can port it yourself.

UPDATE: A popular misconception is that you need to be a developer in order to port. That is NOT the case.

juiceme 2016-09-21 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nh1402 (Post 1515400)
You don't even need to buy one of those, providing kernel source is available, the bootloader is unlockable and a compatible version of CyanogenMod or AOSP 5 is available, then you can port it yourself.

Of course so.

My advice was for general public who like just to download a zipfile and flash it to their device for instant gratification :D

Not everybody wants to set up 35 gigs of disk space for a build machine and follow thru HADK to do it...

itdoesntmatt 2016-09-21 11:40

Quote:

UPDATE: A popular misconception is that you need to be a developer in order to port. That is NOT the case.

i am one of those who thought that in order to port one should have been a dev. thanks :)

juiceme 2016-09-21 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt (Post 1515404)
Quote:

i am one of those who thought that in order to port one should have been a dev. thanks :)

Well, I just have to disagree with @nh1402 there...

Or if you really think so please define "developer" for me, please. In my books a developer is someone who creates something new or enhances something existing.

mikecomputing 2016-09-21 18:32

Quote:

cause thats my only option now, i can't afford your mighty sailfish which is unavailable in my region, n9 slowly dying, my n900 is completely broken and it's so hard to find the replacement, neo900 also seems just like another myths, android for now, sorry but i have no choice.

Fairphone II the more users comming from Jolla I the bigger chance we get official SailfishOS on FP II

gerbick 2016-09-21 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1515424)
Fairphone II the more users comming from Jolla I the bigger chance we get official SailfishOS on FP II

This is perhaps the only place where FairPhone is referenced. Outside of this community, it's pretty much a non-entity.

At this rate, not sure if that means that things will gain momentum or if it'll remain a niche product.

Feathers McGraw 2016-09-21 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1515426)
This is perhaps the only place where FairPhone is referenced. Outside of this community, it's pretty much a non-entity.

This community, and its own community, which is quite healthy!

I don't know how big they have to be to survive, hopefully they can sustain what they are doing now (if not, it was a bad plan to begin with - their unique selling point is quite niche!).

Feathers McGraw 2016-09-21 19:36

Quote:

cause thats my only option now, i can't afford your mighty sailfish which is unavailable in my region

Quote:

if the latest information from a 'trusted source' of Android Police proves accurate, with the source claiming that the smaller Pixel handset will start at $649 (around £500/AU$860), with the larger Pixel XL likely to cost even more.
(from http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...prices-1329022)

You can't afford a sailfish phone but you can afford a pixel phone at these prices...? :confused: