maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Turing Phone (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Turing Monolith Chaconne (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97484)

robthebold 2016-09-06 17:25

Turing Monolith Chaconne

Announcement from TRI

Kinda reads like stream of consciousness crossed with techno-babble-bingo . . . but a sliding keyboard!

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1d3448...28eeccd98b.jpg

chenliangchen 2016-09-06 17:30

Re: Turing Monolith Chaconne

This reduces the credibility further of the original Turing Phone. I have to agree with Dave on this case.

gerbick 2016-09-06 17:40

When in doubt, add another CPU.

robthebold 2016-09-06 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1514432)
When in doubt, add another CPU.

. . . in an ad-hoc WiGig network over the 60GHz channel via on-board USB3.0 . . .

. . . and a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Dave999 2016-09-06 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1514429)
Announcement from TRI

Kinda reads like stream of consciousness crossed with techno-babble-bingo . . . but a sliding keyboard!

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1d3448...28eeccd98b.jpg

Now that is NOT a scam...sign me up for two!

Shipping next week. Perfect!

MikeHG 2016-09-06 18:07

May God defend me from my friends: I can defend myself from my enemies.

-- Voltaire.

abranson 2016-09-06 18:16

Alan! Alan!

nthn 2016-09-06 18:30

This guy is clearly clinically insane, but then again, maybe that's exactly what's necessary to make it work.

mscion 2016-09-06 18:57

I ordered 7.. No. 8! Fantastic devices. Better than the N950!

Has anyone of our Finnish friends visited their R&D center in Salo Finland? What's the actual address? According to announcement, "TRI has established a manufacturing facility right where Nokia and Microsoft used to produce the mobile phone prototypes." Anyone care to check that out and report back?

pichlo 2016-09-06 18:59

"Announcement from TRI"? Hardly. Who TF is this campaign-archive1.com? According to whois the domain is registered to "The Rocket Science Group". It looks like someone is taking a p!$$. Apparently the Cadenza did not make it obvious so they had to ramp it up a notch.

nthn 2016-09-06 19:16

I think those campaign-archive sites are usually used by people who don't want their own servers to suffer under the traffic of emails sent through mailing lists (well, the 'open this mail in your browser' part anyway). Nothing shady about them in general. I'm not subscribed to Turing's mailing list so I can't say for sure if they sent this, but I guess they actually did.

JiiHoo 2016-09-06 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1514440)
"Announcement from TRI"? Hardly. Who TF is this campaign-archive1.com? According to whois the domain is registered to "The Rocket Science Group". It looks like someone is taking a p!$$. Apparently the Cadenza did not make it obvious so they had to ramp it up a notch.

Either that or then TRI has gone totally bonkers.

ROFLMAO, can't breathe...

MisterMaster 2016-09-06 19:21

The Rocket Science Group, LLC, doing business as MailChimp Company, provides email–marketing services. The company offers MailChimp, which allows subscribers to automate the email marketing process and test the workflow. It helps users to design email newsletters, share them on social networks, integrate with services they already use, and track their results. The company was founded in 2000 and is based in Atlanta, Georgia.

Zeta 2016-09-06 19:26

Quote:

Thought of that too.
In that case, they have also hijacked/created a dummy twitter profile for TRI's CEO: https://twitter.com/sylchao who is sharing the news.

Also the website name is outside TRI's domain, but as is the mailing subscription website. On TRI's website if you follow "get update", then click subscribe without setting an email address you land there : https://turingri.us11.list-manage.com/subscribe/.......
Which as the same owner information : http://www.whois.com/whois/list-manage.com

So it may be legit... (a fake device, but coming from the "real" TRI)

Zeta 2016-09-06 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1514429)

While clicking everywhere to search if the website was legit, I may have accidentally unsubscribed you from the mailing list, if the u=xxx in the url is your user id, and you did not only transfer this link from someone else... :rolleyes:

robthebold 2016-09-06 19:32

Quote:

It looks like it's a mailing list management service that also runs MailChimp. Why they use such a generic-sounding URL -- instead of something more customized to the customer -- is beyond me. Maybe that costs extra. It does kind of distract from the message when you're wondering "who the hell is campaign-archive1," though.

nthn 2016-09-06 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1514448)
It looks like it's a mailing list management service that also runs MailChimp. Why they use such a generic-sounding URL -- instead of something more customized to the customer -- is beyond me. Maybe that costs extra. It does kind of distract from the message when you're wondering "who the hell is campaign-archive1," though.

Normally you read an email in your client or webmail so that URL is barely clicked. Of course when sharing it publicly it becomes more of an issue.

Dave999 2016-09-06 19:56

Whoever created this chart is brilliant. Impossible to read, impossible to understand. Impossible to implement.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1d3448...9f5d7425ef.jpg

Can't wait for A.L.A.N. The AI.

Android_808 2016-09-06 20:20

It does seem like either the R&D dept is on something or they're just throwing out some insane ideas to see where peoples interest lies. It seems there is some more info on the Outer Blueprint program to come, so we will have to see what that is.

In some ways, as crazy as the recent ideas are, it is actually quite interesting to see. Firstly, from a design point of view, the 2 most recent announcement and the preview phones sent out all have quite different designs. A lot of the high spec, low price phones coming out of China seem to borrow heavily from Samsung and Apple. Secondly it does seems to offer some, albeit crazy, ideas none of the big name companies have yet to put out.

Do I think they will ever reach the market as stated? Not a chance, at the moment. When/If the final production version of the current device is released and promises are met, I'll reconsider it a possibility.

pichlo 2016-09-06 20:41

Exactly. They have yet to deliver the device that is/was actually doable.

abranson 2016-09-07 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1514451)
Can't wait for A.L.A.N. The AI.

Coupled with the Deep-Learning Running Convoluted Neural Network Natural Language Processing, we might finally glimpse the future that is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvR3y5JCXg

nestori 2016-09-07 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1514439)
I ordered 7.. No. 8! Fantastic devices. Better than the N950!

Has anyone of our Finnish friends visited their R&D center in Salo Finland? What's the actual address? According to announcement, "TRI has established a manufacturing facility right where Nokia and Microsoft used to produce the mobile phone prototypes." Anyone care to check that out and report back?

Judging from the pictures in the announcement not much is happening on site as the only persons seen look like some managers rather than developers / engineers / etc. :D

HtheB 2016-09-07 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by abranson (Post 1514436)
Alan! Alan!

Steve! Steve!

xanderx 2016-09-07 19:54

I've hardly ever seen such a compilation of marketing bull**** all in one place. Amazing!

andyr0ck 2016-09-08 07:32

I'm sold. Hopefully, it can calculate the destruction of the universe while I play some FLACs on it. And it has sliding keyboard!!

pichlo 2016-09-08 07:41

If they ship it with Sailfish, it won't be playing any FLACs!

andyr0ck 2016-09-08 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1514571)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..!

Feathers McGraw 2016-09-08 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1514571)

Don't worry, I'm sure it can 3D print you an entire orchestra using Turing's proprietary GigaReplicate (TM) technology and control them with advanced AI to deliver the greatest possible musical experience as you ride the bus to work.

What a joke.

robthebold 2016-12-29 15:37

Got a google alert this morning: the Turing Monolith Chaconne gets a spot on the Extreme Tech Vaporware Wall of Shame 2016!

boovi 2016-12-30 03:30

look like nice ,but I still think this is pseudo event

theonelaw 2016-12-30 04:04

I am deeply ashamed I missed this thread until now...

Quote:

Hacker-proof.
TROLOLOLOL.
Turing Phones are conceptware that totally redefine wishful thinking.
How dare they abuse the term conceptware in a TRI context !!

I fully support starting the New Year with rotfl humor.

It occurs that perhaps I should go offer my services to TRI,
since they have all this capital they obviously need help spending.