maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Asteroid OS Watch (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99749)

r0kk3rz 2017-08-24 17:38

Asteroid OS Watch

Asteroid OS is a Qt based open source smart watch OS built off a lot of the nemomobile stack and was the basis for the Sailfish OS watch prototype shown at SLUSH last year.

And it looks like we're going to get the opportunity to buy a smart watch with Asteroid OS as standard!

http://connect-watch.com/

http://connect-watch.com/wp-content/...-liberte-1.jpg

This would be the only current commercial offering that actually supports Sailfish OS with a sync client too

mosen 2017-08-24 20:15

Re: Asteroid OS Watch

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1533156)
This would be the only current commercial offering that actually supports Sailfish OS with a sync client too

Looks like i am not up to date. For good :D
Can you link to the sfos sync client? I only saw kido writing about some alpha state sfos client some weeks ago on asteroid irc.

jonquark 2017-08-25 20:02

I hadn't seen this! I can get the basics of what the website is saying but my French is extremely limited so if there was an English translation (or someone in this Forum could translate it) I'd be very grateful.

If I can pair this with my SalifishX on Xperia X, I'll almost certainly get one.

mosen 2017-08-25 20:42

You can have one now ;)
Asteroid OS is ported to some available watches already.
I am using it on lenok since May and it is great!

This post is about a completely new watch by an asteoid os dev!

gerbick 2017-08-25 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533278)
You can have one now ;)

Damn. And here I have a spare Motorola 360 (1st Gen) that I'd love to work with...

jonquark 2017-08-26 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533278)
You can have one now ;)

I have an LG G watch I've bought for Asteroid OS (though it doesn't interact well with the JollaC as the BLE support is new/experimental).

I'm going to end up getting the Xperia X which will initially have no Bluetooth support (d'oh)...but if that gets fixed then I'd want to support the development of AsteroidOS (if it connects well to my phone).

mosen 2017-08-31 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533287)
Damn. And here I have a spare Motorola 360 (1st Gen) that I'd love to work with...

Well it is only a matter of time. The project is on steroids and added 4 watches to official support this year.
If you want to tinker yourself, #asteroid freenode irc is great. They are very helpfull and even have a bot for Github so you can see your suggestions be added in "realtime" :D

gerbick 2017-09-01 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533739)
Well it is only a matter of time. The project is on steroids and added 4 watches to official support this year.
If you want to tinker yourself, #asteroid freenode irc is great. They are very helpfull and even have a bot for Github so you can see your suggestions be added in "realtime" :D

Lack of pinouts for my Android Wear device.

I doubt that time would be a factor into making this happen. Perhaps a miracle.

mosen 2017-09-01 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533747)
Lack of pinouts for my Android Wear device..

Really?
I thought Moto 360 1st gen is exactly listed as being able to be ported on the page i linked.
Only 2nd gen should be impossible because of lack of pinouts according to the listing.
Maybe the page is wrong or the contacts are hidden extremely well or do you have 2nd gen or sport edition? :D

edit, pins should be hidden below a black sticker on 1st gen according to XDA

gerbick 2017-09-01 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533748)
Really?
I thought Moto 360 1st gen is exactly listed as being able to be ported on the page i linked.
Only 2nd gen should be impossible because of lack of pinouts according to the listing.
Maybe the page is wrong or the contacts are hidden extremely well or do you have 2nd gen or sport edition? :D

edit, pins should be hidden below a black sticker on 1st gen according to XDA

I was incorrect in my original post - did not edit it. I have a Moto 360 2nd Gen. I forgot that I gave away my 1st Gen.

r0kk3rz 2017-09-01 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533749)
I was incorrect in my original post - did not edit it. I have a Moto 360 2nd Gen. I forgot that I gave away my 1st Gen.

Yes having to pry open the watch, butcher a USB cable and come up with some kind of way to secure the usb connection means that watch will probably never be supported by Asteroid OS. I'm not sure anyone out there has successfully flashed anything to those watches.

Plenty of people have been interested to do it though, so maybe.

jonquark 2017-09-04 20:00

I've just backed the Connect Watch:
https://twitter.com/_ConnectWatch_/s...57352628408321

At the moment the website and the crowd funding page is all in French, but with a bit of help from Google Translate I think I managed to back the project.

Zeta 2017-09-04 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonquark (Post 1533926)
At the moment the website and the crowd funding page is all in French, but with a bit of help from Google Translate I think I managed to back the project.

I'm not related to this campaign, but I'm a native French speaker, so feel free to ask me if you need help with translation, or confirmation about something google translated.

anidel 2017-09-04 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta (Post 1533932)
I'm not related to this campaign, but I'm a native French speaker, so feel free to ask me if you need help with translation, or confirmation about something google translated.

You know what happens if the project fails the get backed up?
will we get the money back?
are we actually charge when supporting, or only when the project succeedes?

Thanks!

sally_sally 2017-09-05 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by anidel (Post 1533934)

Thanks!

Very Good question. Thank you for asking beforehand.

P@t 2017-09-05 12:49

As far as I can read in https://fr.ulule.com/about/terms/, paragraph 4.3.1...

Payment by credit card is automatically processed but if the project fails to raise enough money, the money is transferred to your electronic money account inside Ulule, that you can use then for another project or you can ask for reimbursement (for free).

Also, up to the end of the period of the money raising, you can cancel your participation...

Note that Ulule is quite known here for being a serious company, usually selecting projects seriously, and with a great percentage of success.

Feel free to ask more questions!

coderus 2017-09-05 12:58

Tried to bake Connect Watch, but it says my payment was rejected by bank :(

bomo 2017-09-05 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonquark (Post 1533926)
I've just backed the Connect Watch:
https://twitter.com/_ConnectWatch_/s...57352628408321

Thanks for the hint, but apparently they don't want our money... Next time they are making their crowd funding pages in klingon ? :rolleyes:

jonquark 2017-09-05 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by P@t (Post 1533950)
As far as I can read in https://fr.ulule.com/about/terms/, paragraph 4.3.1...

Payment by credit card is automatically processed but if the project fails to raise enough money, the money is transferred to your electronic money account inside Ulule, that you can use then for another project or you can ask for reimbursement (for free).

Also, up to the end of the period of the money raising, you can cancel your participation...

Yep Ulule already have taken my money from a debit card but the website was clear that they won't give it to the project unless it hits the funding goal and I can get it back it if the goal is not met.

jonquark 2017-09-05 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomo (Post 1533957)
Thanks for the hint, but apparently they don't want our money... Next time they are making their crowd funding pages in klingon ? :rolleyes:

That's a bit harsh, just because their native language is different to mine doesn't mean they don't want my money. (They have said that English language pages are coming soon).

tmi 2017-09-05 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomo (Post 1533957)
Next time they are making their crowd funding pages in klingon ? :rolleyes:

I'm very much tempted to back the watch just because the pre-order page exists solely in French. Then again, French isn't all Greek to me.

The main reason stopping me has been the inability to decide whether I'm getting Sony Xperia X or not plus I have yet no complaints about my Pebble.

Zeta 2017-09-05 19:12

Quote:

Thanks!

P@t was faster than me to answer, but I can add that Ulule terms are also available at least in English:
https://www.ulule.com/about/terms/

And despite the text being only French (for now, it looks like they are preparing the English version), the project can be accessed through all the languages that Ulule supports, like english : https://www.ulule.com/connect-watch/
or german : https://de.ulule.com/connect-watch/
Supported languages are :
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Français
  • Español
  • Italiano
  • Português
  • Nederlands
  • Català
And can be changed in the box at the lower right of the page.

This can help you troubleshooting payments issues in your language (or at least english).

For other questions regarding the description and perks with are still in French only so far, just ask !

About the klingon remark, please simply remember that the project is done by a French citizen, so having the project set-up in French first is not at all strange. English translation is on the way.

coderus 2017-09-05 19:12

Quote:

Thanks!

>> Credit card payment
>> The simplest solution, you are charged immediately but you will be fully refunded (without any fees), if the project misses its target.

Zeta 2017-09-09 09:05

English translation is now available:
https://www.ulule.com/connect-watch/

carmenluci 2017-09-09 10:18

And you can pay via paypal now ;)

piggz 2017-09-27 18:41

Just bringing this to the front page again...seems like a no-brainer to me, 99e gets you a mer based open source smart watch with GPS and HRM.

Please back it, so I can get mine!

LouisDK 2017-09-27 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by piggz (Post 1535341)
Just bringing this to the front page again...seems like a no-brainer to me, 99e gets you a mer based open source smart watch with GPS and HRM.

Please back it, so I can get mine!

Sounds interesting. Yet there's no 4G and I fear we're going to see a lack of apps.

piggz 2017-09-27 19:14

Quite possibly .. I myself have modest requirement, notifications, 2fa code generation, gps/strava and heartrate/sleep tracking ... all of which im sure will be implemented (i'll do the2fa and gps logging myself possibly, if I get one) .... oh, and a nice trekkie watch face :)

r0kk3rz 2017-09-27 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisDK (Post 1535344)
Sounds interesting. Yet there's no 4G and I fear we're going to see a lack of apps.

what do you want 4g for? and apps? its a watch.

LouisDK 2017-09-27 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1535346)
what do you want 4g for? and apps? its a watch.

Other smartwatches have apps. If I only wanted to see the current time I already my smartphone :)

r0kk3rz 2017-09-28 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisDK (Post 1535357)
Other smartwatches have apps. If I only wanted to see the current time I already my smartphone :)

Most of them don't really, when it comes to OS choice the smartwatch market is incredibly diverse and so having large third-party app catalogs doesn't really work.

I personally view them more as features rather than apps anyway, as they tend to be fairly basic one-hit-wonders which will be easy to develop for Asteroid (C++/Python/QML, sailfishos like middleware), theres already a couple of sailfish fitness timer apps I was thinking of porting.

Of course the whole purpose of a smartwatch is more than telling the time, i have a normal watch for that and it has a battery life measured in years.

P@t 2017-09-28 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisDK (Post 1535357)

If I only wanted to use apps, I already have my smartphone :P

I already have a Pebble. While it is a little bit of fun to have plenty of apps, in practice, I barely use them. There are indeed a few basics apps but no need for tons, as far as I am concerned. Notifications, alarms and music control is what I mostly use (99.5% of the time). And time of course ;-). Even up-to-date weather or health monitoring which is considered basics for some is not important to me.

Please back it so that I have my connect watch :-)

Peccelius 2017-09-28 10:09

I backed this! I hope it gets funded but so far it does not look that promising...

mrsellout 2017-10-05 21:24

Half an hour left and only 54% backed.

taixzo 2017-10-06 00:17

No battery specs? I am skeptical that a Qt powered watch would last even a week.

r0kk3rz 2017-10-06 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1535955)
No battery specs? I am skeptical that a Qt powered watch would last even a week.

The prototype I saw was claimed to have about 4-5 days worth of battery life running Asteroid OS, and this was without any serious battery life tuning.

coderus 2017-10-06 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1535955)

hahaha, hohoho, you really think java watch have better battery life? Qt == C++ => the greatest power efficiency ever.

jcoder 2017-10-06 14:29

Unfortunatly they didn't reach their funding goal.

It could have been the watch I've been looking for. Hope they'll make it anyway.