maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M5] Tox for N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93647)

freemangordon 2014-08-31 19:59

Re: Tox for N900

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1437704)
Hmm better to evaluate once q Qt/QML frontend is done, since nTox is commandline only.
But, I enclose htop of the process running

as suspected, it keeps cpu woken up (judging by the fact this is the second process after htop itself). I will be glad to be proven wrong, but I think this is unusable for mobile device in its current shape. no matter if it uses CLI or GUI.

Jordi 2014-08-31 20:56

1 Attachment(s)
I made a test with Tox, Mitakuuluu (Whatsapp for Sailfish) and Wechat (Tencent) running together, here is the result with Crest.

It seems Tox is not eating too much battery as the CPU usage of Mitakuuluu is always higher (and Mitakuuluu does not eat too much battery unless the CPU bug appears...).

freemangordon 2014-08-31 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordi (Post 1437774)
I made a test with Tox, Mitakuuluu (Whatsapp for Sailfish) and Wechat (Tencent) running together, here is the result with Crest.

It seems Tox is not eating too much battery as the CPU usage of Mitakuuluu is always higher (and Mitakuuluu does not eat too much battery unless the CPU bug appears...).

well, it seems that my criteria for "too much" differs a lot, because in my book anything but nothing is too much, when a piece of SW is doing nothing.

anyway, I'll try to compile tox for n900 and launch oprofile against it once I am back from holiday (wednesday that is). that will give us a clear picture of what is really going on and if it makes any sense to waste time on writing GUI.

jellyroll 2014-08-31 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1437777)
well, it seems that my criteria for "too much" differs a lot, because in my book anything but nothing is too much, when a piece of SW is doing nothing.

anyway, I'll try to compile tox for n900 and launch oprofile against it once I am back from holiday (wednesday that is). that will give us a clear picture of what is really going on and if it makes any sense to waste time on writing GUI.

Thanks in advance!

biketool 2014-09-01 05:15

Retroshare seems like it is a more what we want, more decentralized and still OSS.
http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

Jordi 2014-09-01 05:40

Quote:

With light usage, the Jolla can last 2 or 3 days between 2 battery charges. With or without Mitakuuluu running, it's not very different. That is why I said that Mitakuluu doesn't eat to much battery :)

javispedro 2014-09-01 06:06

Quote:

well, it seems that my criteria for "too much" differs a lot, because in my book anything but nothing is too much, when a piece of SW is doing nothing..

As the Android piece of hardware the Jolla is, it suspends, so they do no care about stupidity caused useless timers. :(

pistachio 2014-09-02 14:48

As mentioned by freemangordon it will be a lot of battery consumer app, and starting from scratch on this app, why dont anyone make GUI of telegram cli client made by NerdKnight? Just curious, coz it is a perfect multi-platform IM app in my opinion.

coderus 2014-09-02 15:10

@Jordi you looking at harbour-mitakuuluu2 which is just GUI, look at harbour-mitakuuluu2-server, which is actually process talking with whatsapp server ;)

xes 2014-09-02 15:22

Concerning tox.. Have you looked at amount of network traffic that this app generates continuosly also when it is supposed to be almost idle?