maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   [Proposal pending] Involving Loud Speaker during a call. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46612)

starman 2010-03-05 23:37

[Proposal pending] Involving Loud Speaker during a call.

Had a mini brainstorm involving the in call loud speaker function.

While navigating a very long a boring switch board this morning, I put the N900 in loud speaker mode and navigated the options, when I finally got to the point where I was on hold for over 10 minutes I left the phone in speaker mode and started to browse the web a bit.

When my call was finally connected it took me a few stubbled attempts to navigate the menus to turn loud speaker off.

So. My Idea...

Can the N900 be programmed so that when in a call and in loud speaker mode, bringing the phone to your ear (via the proximity sensor) the phone automatically turns the loud speaker off and goose into normal mode???

Would be cool, and uber useful

benjijk 2010-03-06 00:10

Re: [Idea] Involving Loud Speaker during a call.

Cool idea, yeah, agree, I had that problem just today.

starman 2010-03-06 09:04

wonder how it could be implemented??

rahulg247 2010-03-06 09:34

This is a very good idea, I had the exact same problem.

felbutss 2010-03-06 09:38

+900000 from me good idea. phone near ear loud speaker off. phone away from ear loud speak on. BRILLIANT

Blobster2k 2010-03-06 09:49

such a simple brilliant idea!

starman 2010-03-06 10:09

im not much a of programmer anymore, the last time I coded was Modular-C almost 10 years ago, but I dont think it would be to hard.

All you would need is a simple daemon that triggers a simple switch that activates when a call is put on to loud speaker, then it could use the accelerometer to switch the loud speaker off when the phone is close to the ear.

easy peasy.... damn i wish my coding skills wernt ancient :(

edgar2 2010-03-06 10:14

and why not an option to automatically turn on the loudspeaker after n seconds when the phone is not close to the ear.

starman 2010-03-06 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgar2 (Post 557678)
and why not an option to automatically turn on the loudspeaker after n seconds when the phone is not close to the ear.

Yes! That is also very cool.

pelago 2010-03-06 11:07

This sounds like a good idea. I do worry slightly that the proximity sensor could be triggered by fingers while browsing around, thus cutting off the speaker.