maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M5] [Announce] purple-protocol-telegram: Telegram Messenger plugin for Pidgin (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94324)

totalizator 2014-12-17 14:42

[Announce] purple-protocol-telegram: Telegram Messenger plugin for Pidgin

[UPDATE] 1.2.6-1 (plugin crashing fixed) is already available on extras-devel. Enjoy. maacruz

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...0&postcount=38
Quote:

Originally Posted by maacruz (Post 1504980)
I have built the latest 1.2.6 telegram plugin (quite a bit of work, actually). It seems to work, but needs testing. The crash should be gone. Stickers should work too.
Please, install both deb packages and report back, if it works I'll upload it to extras-devel.

After some tiny tweaking I have successfully build the telegram-purple https://github.com/majn/telegram-purple for Nokia N900.

Quote:

Telegram-purple is a Libpurple plugin that adds support for the Telegram messenger. Its still in an early (pre-alpha) development stage, but already provides basic chat functionality and group chats.

The plugin is based on the library Libtgl, which was written by Vitaly Valtman mail@vysheng.ru and others, see (http://github.com/vysheng/tgl)
You can install the package from extras-devel repository using Application Manager or:

Code:

apt-get install purple-protocol-telegram
http://i.imgur.com/4DNmZhJ.png

Works for me (it even displays incoming photos). May (or may not) crash a lot. Try it.

nokiabot 2014-12-17 15:21

Re: [Announce] purple-protocol-telegram: Telegram Messenger plugin for Pidgin

Oops mainstream apps !
nice job done though i dont use it :;

jellyroll 2014-12-17 15:39

Jeeeej !!!

gianko 2015-01-19 01:04

Hey this is cool. It works just fine.
BTW somebody tried to send me a sticker and a stickers bot appeared in the contact list...why?

gianko 2015-01-19 10:59

What about emojis? We can unpack these on ~/.purple/smileys or it will waste rootfs space?

acrux 2015-01-19 14:27

Is it possible to use it through telepathy-haze in Maemo Conversations or should I have Pidgin installed?

totalizator 2015-01-19 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianko (Post 1457182)
Hey this is cool. It works just fine.
BTW somebody tried to send me a sticker and a stickers bot appeared in the contact list...why?

Seems that it has to be like this. It's a plugin not a standalone app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianko (Post 1457224)
What about emojis? We can unpack these on ~/.purple/smileys or it will waste rootfs space?

They should work just fine. I'll make a deb later maybe. For now, put them in /opt and symlink to ~/.purple/smileys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1457254)
Is it possible to use it through telepathy-haze in Maemo Conversations or should I have Pidgin installed?

You should ask telepathy-haze maintainers. I have tried but it asks for password and there is no password authentication in Telegram.

nokiabot 2015-01-20 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalizator (Post 1457275)
Seems that it has to be like this. It's a plugin not a standalone app.

They should work just fine. I'll make a deb later maybe. For now, put them in /opt and symlink to ~/.purple/smileys.

You should ask telepathy-haze maintainers. I have tried but it asks for password and there is no password authentication in Telegram.

humm it be uber cool to have it in conversation app :;

Hawox 2015-04-12 21:51

I understand that in the SMS verification process a popup should appear, asking for the verification code in order to use Telegram. However, I am not seeing any pop-up window and I have no idea what is causing this. I also wonder if any other users experience this problem. My N900 can otherwise receive SMS normally and all carrier setting check out ok.

Using Pidgin 2.10.11 running on SSU enabled Maemo 5 v21.2011.38 purple-protocol-telegram version 0.7-1

Thanks in advance.

totalizator 2015-04-13 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawox (Post 1466486)
I understand that in the SMS verification process a popup should appear, asking for the verification code in order to use Telegram. However, I am not seeing any pop-up window and I have no idea what is causing this. I also wonder if any other users experience this problem. My N900 can otherwise receive SMS normally and all carrier setting check out ok.

Using Pidgin 2.10.11 running on SSU enabled Maemo 5 v21.2011.38 purple-protocol-telegram version 0.7-1

Thanks in advance.

Huh. Seems like it's broken. I'll try to build latest Git version and I'll let you know if it's working.

totalizator 2015-04-16 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalizator (Post 1466710)
Huh. Seems like it's broken. I'll try to build latest Git version and I'll let you know if it's working.

[FIXED in 0.7-2] The problem was: https://github.com/vysheng/tg/issues/440. You can upgrade to 0.7-2 as soon as it gets imported from the autobuilder.

Quote:

There's a problem during authentication since an IP of the telegram data center has changed and the login somehow seems to depend on the hard-coded presets

MONVMENTVM 2015-04-17 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalizator (Post 1467424)
[FIXED in 0.7-2] The problem was: https://github.com/vysheng/tg/issues/440. You can upgrade to 0.7-2 as soon as it gets imported from the autobuilder.

works perfectly now. thanks for this!

hauslandbibliothek 2015-06-09 16:55

I tried it today and sadly it didn't work as it doesn't trigger the authentification code. So could you update it to the newest version?
I tried to compile it myself on the N900, but it failed to load with symbol _bswap32 not available.

Micha1982 2015-06-12 00:03

Seems to work fine, many thanks!

Still have a question, is there a automaic phonebook-synchronization at every startup? If so, how does it handle phonenumbers not saved in international format? Do I need to change them?
Can I manually start a synchronization, too?

Edit: Why does Pidgin have no Tray symbol?! Of course 'show Trayicon' is always - but there is no symbol? What is going on there? Any ideas? I can't leave the window open all the time...

BlazingBird 2015-06-12 14:51

Works fine for me.. Although id prefer a seperate app for it but it works fine with Pidgin. :-)

Micha1982 2015-06-12 15:11

Yeah - but what about the synchro-function and the Pidgin-tray-symbol?

Is the symbol shown at your phone? I can´t see the tray-icon, something seems to be wrong here...

BlazingBird 2015-06-12 15:17

Nothing here too.

Micha1982 2015-06-12 15:22

hopefully it will be fixed....there seems to be a standalone app, too - but it looks like its in early beta and I didn´t tried it.

All in all it seems to have a nice functionality!

And I still need to test if phonebook synchronizes, for now I have no friends in there, but hopefully that changes soon.

BlazingBird 2015-06-12 15:31

Same here. I have a few but not all syncd. But i do hope Telegram gets a port for N900.. so i dont have to use pidgin.

n900_man 2015-06-15 08:44

Well while telegramm is ok for u, is not ok for many people. Pretty all contacts in my list using whatsapp, and I can't see need to migrate to telegram. What functionality does this provide over whatsapp? Advanced encryption?

blackjack4it 2015-06-15 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900_man (Post 1473602)
What functionality does this provide over whatsapp? Advanced encryption?

A lot. In example:

1) PC Client that synchronize all the conversations, photos, and every other file. So if you send me a file in a conversation by the phone I can use Telegram Desktop and download it directly from PC. (search for Telegram PC client on search engines)

2) Is free to use. Ok some bucks/year aren't a suicide but I have to include also that one.

3) Is veeeery faster than Whatsapp.

4) It is SIM independent, so I can have multiple connection using the same number from my PC, my phone, my tablet and so on.

The problem is that a lot of people stops at "But a lot of my contacts doesn't use Telegram, they use Whatsapp" :D

Micha1982 2015-06-15 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900_man (Post 1473602)
Well while telegramm is ok for u, is not ok for many people. Pretty all contacts in my list using whatsapp, and I can't see need to migrate to telegram. What functionality does this provide over whatsapp? Advanced encryption?

Videocalls, no limit in filesize, no Facebook.....forget about Whatsapp.

Played around with it for a while now, but there still is lots of work necessary on N900-version/Pidgin-Plugin - I am not able to do videocalls atm, maybe a config-prob, dont know - file-transfer doesn´t work proper, menu/buttons are too small here and there....but in general the functions are great - hopefully it will be fixed and worked on soon.

But all in all it already have around the same functionality working as whatsapp! Enough to write with others.

What I did not checked out until now is a secure chat...

You´ll see it´s benefits if you use it - and the situation with your friends will change, if you´re doing the fist step and tell all of them to have a look, too.

kostett 2015-08-12 11:15

Sorry for offtopic, but one question - does it possible to build and install on N900 purple-vk-plugin? Will it work with Conversations? Or I need to add something in plugin code?
Added: oh fcuk, Conversations based on Telepathy, it's time to google how to port PC telepathy plugins to N900

t-b 2016-01-09 20:43

I tried this plugin a while ago and it didn't seem to work at all. Uninstalled and used the webapp (Easy Debian) but having a native solution is always preferred and I tried again and now it just seem to work :)
One problem though - receiving messages results in a crash.
Started pidgin from terminal
error message:

tgl/structures.c:2035: tglm_message_insert_tree:
Assertion 'M->id' failed.
Aborted

Any ideas how to solve this?

t-b 2016-01-10 11:32

It seems to be a known issue at least for the cli version.
https://github.com/vysheng/tg/issues/740
Based on that I think an update to the latest version is needed to solve this problem.

[edit] someone suggested to run the cli app as root. I also tried to run pidgin as root, but receiving messages still resulted in a crash.

totalizator 2016-01-10 23:40

This might be the protocol related issue as telegram-purple in my Finch IM stopped working as well - client crashes with almost identical error.
I'm not using N900 anymore but I still have it so I can try to build the latest version some time later.

Don't expect much as building the previous versions has been a tedious work due to many GLib >= 2.28 only functions calls (unsupported in Maemo).

t-b 2016-01-11 18:53

Thanks that would be great! Even with the crashes I am still using pidgin with the plugin.

Sulu mentioned in the easy debian thread he had created an updated patched and compiled glib to work with the maemo kernel.
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1490871
The actual link to glib is not working anymore, but I am sure someone can provide it if it would help you to port this. If you think it would help please let me know and I will make some requests in the appropriate threads.

bencoh 2016-01-11 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-b (Post 1494464)
Sulu mentioned in the easy debian thread he had created an updated patched and compiled glib to work with the maemo kernel.
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1490871

This post from sulu is about the GNU libc, not the (gnome project) glib.
Newer libglib versions (>=2.28) aren't incompatible with the maemo kernel, but they're not ABI-compatible with the one used in maemo ... and maemo is full of (core features) closed-source applications depending on glib.
Unfortunately, a lot of projects depend on recent glib stuff, as totalizator mentioned.

t-b 2016-01-11 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencoh (Post 1494482)
This post from sulu is about the GNU libc, not the (gnome project) glib.

Ah too bad.. thanks for correcting me and explaining.

Micha1982 2016-03-01 23:38

No news? :(
Still anyone working on it?

Pidgin tells me all the time "new version available" - same for Pidgin, will the N900 get an update at all?

How big is the chance that videocalls for example will ever work?

t-b 2016-03-02 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micha1982 (Post 1500342)
No news? :(
Still anyone working on it?

Pidgin tells me all the time "new version available" - same for Pidgin, will the N900 get an update at all?

How big is the chance that videocalls for example will ever work?

Telegram (topic of this thread) doesn't provide video calls https://telegram.org/faq#q-can-i-mak...s-via-telegram

Micha1982 2016-03-02 21:27

Ok...anyhow, will there be updates for Telegram and Pidgin at all?

mayhemita 2016-04-12 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-b (Post 1494318)
It seems to be a known issue at least for the cli version.
https://github.com/vysheng/tg/issues/740
Based on that I think an update to the latest version is needed to solve this problem.

[edit] someone suggested to run the cli app as root. I also tried to run pidgin as root, but receiving messages still resulted in a crash.

Hi folks, I think that the crash problem is related to the check, I mean, the time when other people watch our sended message, and the notification arrives to our mobile.

Is it possible to avoid this check notification in Pidgin?

Thanks a lot.

t-b 2016-04-16 11:20

I was thinking of the possibility of running Pidgin within a script that plays a sound or vibrates whenever it crashes and restarts automatically.
An ugly hack - i'd rather have a permanent and better solution. Currently I am using the cli version.

explit 2016-04-16 20:38

I have a question, how difficult it would be (for a Dev.) to implement libpurple-telegram to the Maemo Messages (so it can act like a XMPP or Skype or whatever else)?
As i understand, the ui is already there, only a plugin must be implemented.
Wouldn't it be easier than write a GUI for Telegram-cli?

BlazingBird 2016-04-17 13:03

A thoughtful point by explit.. What do you guys suggest?

mayhemita 2016-04-28 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingBird (Post 1503852)
A thoughtful point by explit.. What do you guys suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1457254)

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalizator (Post 1457275)

Three problems found using purple-protocol-telegram:
1- not in Maemo Conversations, need to use pidgin
2- pidgin crash at check notification
3- stickers arrive as .webp image, that Pidgin can't show

but I think is not easy to fix them.

maacruz 2016-05-03 20:55

2 Attachment(s)
I have built the latest 1.2.6 telegram plugin (quite a bit of work, actually). It seems to work, but needs testing. The crash should be gone. Stickers should work too.
Please, install both deb packages and report back, if it works I'll upload it to extras-devel.

t-b 2016-05-03 21:47

Awesome!

Installed it - haven't seen issues during installing. Just sent one message but it is pretty late in the Netherlands so don't expect an answer before tomorrow. Will start using it and let you know if it works for me :)

t-b 2016-05-04 21:53

OK - some additional comments.
Works fine - not missed any message. Can send and receive pictures as well. Can't receive / see smiley’s or stickers but I don't think they worked in the previous version too.
Most important thing - the crashes - is solved :)